When news happens, text SDE and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
Developer: Residents support solar farm plan
PLANS for a massive solar farm north of Basingstoke received an overwhelming thumbs up from residents, according to the developer.
SunEdison and Solar Planning Limited are looking at building a 20MWp solar farm in Monk Sherborne.
The two companies propose installing around 74,000 solar panels in the 96-acre field, which adjoins the A339 near to the Weybrook Park Golf Course and is south of Shothanger Works.
The plans were exhibited at two events at Rooksdown Community Centre, in Park Prewett Road.
A full planning application is expected to be submitted to the borough council’s planning department in the next few weeks.
Solar Planning Limited’s founding partner, Adriano Satta, said more than three quarters of people who came to the exhibition backed the proposals.
“We have held two public exhibitions for the local community to come and find out more about our plans and give their views on the project,” Mr Satta said.
“Of those who attended and filled out a feed back form, 77 per cent were either supportive, or very supportive of the proposal, with the remaining 23 per cent undecided at this stage.
“There were some concerns raised regarding the visual impact of the project, and we will be addressing those concerns with our planning application.”
One visitor to the public exhibitions, Hugh Oliver-Bellasis, 68, from Wootton St Lawrence, said he supported the principle of solar farms but needed more answers about the impact of the proposed development.
He raised questions about site security, how the land will be used, and how it will contribute to Basingstoke’s energy supply.
The developers claim the solar farm would provide enough power for 6,000 homes, and save 8,600 tons of carbon dioxide each year.
They added that they are “reviewing the feedback” and commissioning further investigations before submitting a planning application to the planning authority.
Comments are closed on this article.