Teen driver Don Connell's car went up in flames after One Stop staff refused to help

Daily Echo: Don Connell with his car. Don Connell with his car.

WHEN teenager Don Connell spotted a small fire in the engine of his beloved car he raced to the nearest shop to borrow a fire extinguisher.

But the 18-year-old says he could not believe it when staff refused to hand one over because it would cost them too much money to replace it.

Instead the trainee mechanic could only look on in horror as his Peugeot 106 burst into a fire ball.

Don’s 19-year-old car is now a write-off leaving him hundreds of pounds out of pocket.

The drama happened after he had left his girlfriend’s house to go to work when he noticed smoke coming from inside his car.

Daily Echo:

He ran to the One Stop on Butts Road in Sholing, Southampton, to ask to borrow their fire extinguisher only for them to refuse.

Instead flames tore through Don’s car while he was waiting for the fire crew, leaving it completely destroyed, along with his satnav, some clothes and college work. Don, of Sycamore Road, Shirley Warren, said: “It was the most horrible day of my life.

“I was just sat in the car listening to the radio and then smoke was coming out the fuse box. I went to the shop and asked them to use their fire extinguisher. They said no so I phoned the fire brigade.

“I’ve looked after the car and done quite a lot of work to it too, so I’ve lost quite a lot of money.

“It was quite a small fire but it grew while I was waiting for the fire brigade.

“I’ve used a fire extinguisher before, so what could have taken me ten minutes has put me in a lot of debt now. If they’d let me use the extinguisher I would have put the fire out before it got so big.”

Daily Echo:

Don’s boss at Shirley Garage, Terry Murphy, said: “I’m just absolutely staggered they didn’t let him use the fire extinguisher. “He’s fully trained in the use of fire extinguishers as he’s in a workshop environment and it would have meant that he didn’t have to call the fire brigade.

“The other thing is it would have saved his car. Now he’s lost the whole car.

“He’s a good lad. I feel desperately sorry for him.”

When asked if staff had refused to hand over the fire extinguisher because of the cost a One Stop spokesperson said it was due to safety reasons.

He said: “Our customer service assistant took the decision that the safest course of action in this instance was to let the fire brigade deal with what was already a large and potentially dangerous fire.”

A Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman said: “Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service would not encourage members of the public to tackle serious fires themselves.

“We would advise that they call 999 and stay in a safe place from the fire until emergency services are on the scene. “However, this highlights the importance of having a fire extinguisher to hand for use in small containable fires.”

Southampton taxi drivers have recently said that they will stop carrying fire extinguishers and first aid kits as they are worried about being sued if they try to protect their customers without he correct training.

Comments (68)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:18am Sat 12 Oct 13

rudolph_hucker says...

One stop don't sell bottles of water then?
One stop don't sell bottles of water then? rudolph_hucker
  • Score: -33

11:36am Sat 12 Oct 13

userds5050 says...

Should have got TPFT.
Should have got TPFT. userds5050
  • Score: -3

11:40am Sat 12 Oct 13

Inform Al says...

Using water on an electrical fire is dangerous. Doubt if I will ever shop in a one stop shop again, however not being a taxi driver I do have an extinguisher within easy reach of the drivers seat for use either to put out a fire in my car or others.
Using water on an electrical fire is dangerous. Doubt if I will ever shop in a one stop shop again, however not being a taxi driver I do have an extinguisher within easy reach of the drivers seat for use either to put out a fire in my car or others. Inform Al
  • Score: 23

11:47am Sat 12 Oct 13

ilovelamp says...

rudolph_hucker wrote:
One stop don't sell bottles of water then?
I doubt throwing water at a potentially electric fuse box surrounded by oil is a great idea. Some health and safety laws these days as more likely to endanger people
[quote][p][bold]rudolph_hucker[/bold] wrote: One stop don't sell bottles of water then?[/p][/quote]I doubt throwing water at a potentially electric fuse box surrounded by oil is a great idea. Some health and safety laws these days as more likely to endanger people ilovelamp
  • Score: 3

12:22pm Sat 12 Oct 13

Maine Lobster says...

Somewhat mean for the shop not to help but maybe the owner should have carried his own fire extinguisher?
Somewhat mean for the shop not to help but maybe the owner should have carried his own fire extinguisher? Maine Lobster
  • Score: 17

12:32pm Sat 12 Oct 13

dango says...

why do the above assume the shop only had a water extinguisher? Maybe they also had dry powder or CO2? Being trained I think he would have chosen the appropriate extinguisher.
I feel sorry for the lad and shame on the One-Stop for refusing to help under 'health and safety' grounds. What's safer, extinguishing a small fire before it has chance to reach the fuel tank or letting the fire continue, potentially causing an explosion?
Some people really ought to think before commenting.
why do the above assume the shop only had a water extinguisher? Maybe they also had dry powder or CO2? Being trained I think he would have chosen the appropriate extinguisher. I feel sorry for the lad and shame on the One-Stop for refusing to help under 'health and safety' grounds. What's safer, extinguishing a small fire before it has chance to reach the fuel tank or letting the fire continue, potentially causing an explosion? Some people really ought to think before commenting. dango
  • Score: 52

1:04pm Sat 12 Oct 13

Chris storey says...

The fire extinguisher was worth twice as much as the car.
The fire extinguisher was worth twice as much as the car. Chris storey
  • Score: -4

1:48pm Sat 12 Oct 13

ilovelamp says...

dango wrote:
why do the above assume the shop only had a water extinguisher? Maybe they also had dry powder or CO2? Being trained I think he would have chosen the appropriate extinguisher.
I feel sorry for the lad and shame on the One-Stop for refusing to help under 'health and safety' grounds. What's safer, extinguishing a small fire before it has chance to reach the fuel tank or letting the fire continue, potentially causing an explosion?
Some people really ought to think before commenting.
Referring to the first comment about bottled water not extinguishers
[quote][p][bold]dango[/bold] wrote: why do the above assume the shop only had a water extinguisher? Maybe they also had dry powder or CO2? Being trained I think he would have chosen the appropriate extinguisher. I feel sorry for the lad and shame on the One-Stop for refusing to help under 'health and safety' grounds. What's safer, extinguishing a small fire before it has chance to reach the fuel tank or letting the fire continue, potentially causing an explosion? Some people really ought to think before commenting.[/p][/quote]Referring to the first comment about bottled water not extinguishers ilovelamp
  • Score: 9

2:05pm Sat 12 Oct 13

Donald2000 says...

This says to me that One Stop could not be asked to do their civic duty but I will make sure I do my economic duty to the community by never going into their shops.

Although like the true hypocrites they are, I suppose they will want emergency service assistance when they have a problem. Nasty little worms.
This says to me that One Stop could not be asked to do their civic duty but I will make sure I do my economic duty to the community by never going into their shops. Although like the true hypocrites they are, I suppose they will want emergency service assistance when they have a problem. Nasty little worms. Donald2000
  • Score: 18

2:16pm Sat 12 Oct 13

SPIKEISLANDTRADER says...

Shame the lad could not of made it the few yards to SHOLING MOTORS , they certainly would of helped .
Shame the lad could not of made it the few yards to SHOLING MOTORS , they certainly would of helped . SPIKEISLANDTRADER
  • Score: 11

2:19pm Sat 12 Oct 13

sass says...

I don't see the problem. He just makes an insurance claim, that is what it's for!
I don't see the problem. He just makes an insurance claim, that is what it's for! sass
  • Score: -17

2:43pm Sat 12 Oct 13

thesouth says...

Maine Lobster wrote:
Somewhat mean for the shop not to help but maybe the owner should have carried his own fire extinguisher?
Take it you do then?
[quote][p][bold]Maine Lobster[/bold] wrote: Somewhat mean for the shop not to help but maybe the owner should have carried his own fire extinguisher?[/p][/quote]Take it you do then? thesouth
  • Score: 4

2:57pm Sat 12 Oct 13

Graeme Harrison says...

sass wrote:
I don't see the problem. He just makes an insurance claim, that is what it's for!
Given the amount he's undoubtedly paid for his insurance, you'd have thought the insurer rather than the Echo would have been his first port of call.
[quote][p][bold]sass[/bold] wrote: I don't see the problem. He just makes an insurance claim, that is what it's for![/p][/quote]Given the amount he's undoubtedly paid for his insurance, you'd have thought the insurer rather than the Echo would have been his first port of call. Graeme Harrison
  • Score: -5

2:59pm Sat 12 Oct 13

IronLady2010 says...

Graeme Harrison wrote:
sass wrote:
I don't see the problem. He just makes an insurance claim, that is what it's for!
Given the amount he's undoubtedly paid for his insurance, you'd have thought the insurer rather than the Echo would have been his first port of call.
Given the age of both the owner and the vehicle, he's likely only got 3rd party Insurance and may therefore not have fire and theft. In other words not Insured for fire. Just a thought.
[quote][p][bold]Graeme Harrison[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sass[/bold] wrote: I don't see the problem. He just makes an insurance claim, that is what it's for![/p][/quote]Given the amount he's undoubtedly paid for his insurance, you'd have thought the insurer rather than the Echo would have been his first port of call.[/p][/quote]Given the age of both the owner and the vehicle, he's likely only got 3rd party Insurance and may therefore not have fire and theft. In other words not Insured for fire. Just a thought. IronLady2010
  • Score: 3

3:04pm Sat 12 Oct 13

Perroman says...

Economic suicide One Stop! I won't be in your stores anymore. Hope your foot gets better after you shot it!
Economic suicide One Stop! I won't be in your stores anymore. Hope your foot gets better after you shot it! Perroman
  • Score: 10

3:21pm Sat 12 Oct 13

dango says...

IronLady2010 wrote:
Graeme Harrison wrote:
sass wrote:
I don't see the problem. He just makes an insurance claim, that is what it's for!
Given the amount he's undoubtedly paid for his insurance, you'd have thought the insurer rather than the Echo would have been his first port of call.
Given the age of both the owner and the vehicle, he's likely only got 3rd party Insurance and may therefore not have fire and theft. In other words not Insured for fire. Just a thought.
I think you'll find it's cheaper to get fully comp from most places as you're deemed less of a risk.
[quote][p][bold]IronLady2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Graeme Harrison[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sass[/bold] wrote: I don't see the problem. He just makes an insurance claim, that is what it's for![/p][/quote]Given the amount he's undoubtedly paid for his insurance, you'd have thought the insurer rather than the Echo would have been his first port of call.[/p][/quote]Given the age of both the owner and the vehicle, he's likely only got 3rd party Insurance and may therefore not have fire and theft. In other words not Insured for fire. Just a thought.[/p][/quote]I think you'll find it's cheaper to get fully comp from most places as you're deemed less of a risk. dango
  • Score: 0

3:57pm Sat 12 Oct 13

stay local says...

I am not sure if the insurance company will. Pay out.as he says he

is a trainee mechanic, who has done lots of work on the car....... Which then suddenly caught fire. I feel sorry for the lad,but I doubt if the insurance company will show much sympathy.
I am not sure if the insurance company will. Pay out.as he says he is a trainee mechanic, who has done lots of work on the car....... Which then suddenly caught fire. I feel sorry for the lad,but I doubt if the insurance company will show much sympathy. stay local
  • Score: 1

4:27pm Sat 12 Oct 13

SOULJACKER says...

Jesus Christ, I just have to chuckle at some of the comments on here.
Some of you really should stop licking the windows & trolling & get out into the big wide world.
I just imagine you refreshing the browser & waiting for the next story to be able chuck a nasty remark on.
GET OUT MORE PEOPLE!
Jesus Christ, I just have to chuckle at some of the comments on here. Some of you really should stop licking the windows & trolling & get out into the big wide world. I just imagine you refreshing the browser & waiting for the next story to be able chuck a nasty remark on. GET OUT MORE PEOPLE! SOULJACKER
  • Score: 11

4:30pm Sat 12 Oct 13

Ed Lavender says...

so when would the staff at One Stop use a fire extinguisher ??? - before or after something goes boom ???........
so when would the staff at One Stop use a fire extinguisher ??? - before or after something goes boom ???........ Ed Lavender
  • Score: 4

5:10pm Sat 12 Oct 13

daveat113 says...

Maine Lobster wrote:
Somewhat mean for the shop not to help but maybe the owner should have carried his own fire extinguisher?
Reminds me of the store on Botley Road North Baddesley who refused to SELL a bottle of Lucozade to a school child to help their friend who was suffering a life threatening Hypoglycaemic attack, because of some stupid rule they imposed.
[quote][p][bold]Maine Lobster[/bold] wrote: Somewhat mean for the shop not to help but maybe the owner should have carried his own fire extinguisher?[/p][/quote]Reminds me of the store on Botley Road North Baddesley who refused to SELL a bottle of Lucozade to a school child to help their friend who was suffering a life threatening Hypoglycaemic attack, because of some stupid rule they imposed. daveat113
  • Score: 10

5:19pm Sat 12 Oct 13

Maine Lobster says...

thesouth wrote:
Maine Lobster wrote:
Somewhat mean for the shop not to help but maybe the owner should have carried his own fire extinguisher?
Take it you do then?
Yep.
[quote][p][bold]thesouth[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Maine Lobster[/bold] wrote: Somewhat mean for the shop not to help but maybe the owner should have carried his own fire extinguisher?[/p][/quote]Take it you do then?[/p][/quote]Yep. Maine Lobster
  • Score: 5

5:20pm Sat 12 Oct 13

ohec says...

I dont understand why people are having a go at the One Stop shop would he have replaced the fire extinguisher i doubt it also there are other implications if he had been injured using their equipment, as another poster said the extinguisher is probably worth more than the car but the sat-nav is a big loss i believe the shop done the right thing if he had been injured fighting the fire how would the shop staff feel even the fire brigade do not advise people to try and fight fires at the end of the day its only an old car and the lad is in one piece.
I dont understand why people are having a go at the One Stop shop would he have replaced the fire extinguisher i doubt it also there are other implications if he had been injured using their equipment, as another poster said the extinguisher is probably worth more than the car but the sat-nav is a big loss i believe the shop done the right thing if he had been injured fighting the fire how would the shop staff feel even the fire brigade do not advise people to try and fight fires at the end of the day its only an old car and the lad is in one piece. ohec
  • Score: -4

6:46pm Sat 12 Oct 13

voiceof thepeople says...

..and for all those who said " I'll never shop at One Stop again " I'm sure they'll miss you . . . . NOT ! Knuckle draggers
..and for all those who said " I'll never shop at One Stop again " I'm sure they'll miss you . . . . NOT ! Knuckle draggers voiceof thepeople
  • Score: -1

6:46pm Sat 12 Oct 13

southamptonadi says...

All those you are going to stay away from one stop, Dont forget they are owned by TESCO.

The story does ring true about his allegation that they refused over cost and not H&S as they insisted afterwards, As they are expensive to get refilled and I can Bet my house that they are told not to use them unless its life or death beacuse of the cost.

Rubbish store anyway.
All those you are going to stay away from one stop, Dont forget they are owned by TESCO. The story does ring true about his allegation that they refused over cost and not H&S as they insisted afterwards, As they are expensive to get refilled and I can Bet my house that they are told not to use them unless its life or death beacuse of the cost. Rubbish store anyway. southamptonadi
  • Score: 5

7:17pm Sat 12 Oct 13

eurogordi says...

In some countries it is a criminal offence NOT to offer assistance to other people in need, irrespective of whatever that need might be. It is a disgrace that One Stop refused to help him ... and a further disgrace that we don't have laws that would have forced them (or anyone else) to do so!
In some countries it is a criminal offence NOT to offer assistance to other people in need, irrespective of whatever that need might be. It is a disgrace that One Stop refused to help him ... and a further disgrace that we don't have laws that would have forced them (or anyone else) to do so! eurogordi
  • Score: 3

7:20pm Sat 12 Oct 13

andysaints007 says...

rudolph_hucker wrote:
One stop don't sell bottles of water then?
IDIOT
[quote][p][bold]rudolph_hucker[/bold] wrote: One stop don't sell bottles of water then?[/p][/quote]IDIOT andysaints007
  • Score: -2

7:21pm Sat 12 Oct 13

andysaints007 says...

dango wrote:
why do the above assume the shop only had a water extinguisher? Maybe they also had dry powder or CO2? Being trained I think he would have chosen the appropriate extinguisher.
I feel sorry for the lad and shame on the One-Stop for refusing to help under 'health and safety' grounds. What's safer, extinguishing a small fire before it has chance to reach the fuel tank or letting the fire continue, potentially causing an explosion?
Some people really ought to think before commenting.
Read the story properly thicko
[quote][p][bold]dango[/bold] wrote: why do the above assume the shop only had a water extinguisher? Maybe they also had dry powder or CO2? Being trained I think he would have chosen the appropriate extinguisher. I feel sorry for the lad and shame on the One-Stop for refusing to help under 'health and safety' grounds. What's safer, extinguishing a small fire before it has chance to reach the fuel tank or letting the fire continue, potentially causing an explosion? Some people really ought to think before commenting.[/p][/quote]Read the story properly thicko andysaints007
  • Score: -6

7:42pm Sat 12 Oct 13

sparkster says...

I feel for the poor lad, I think we are living in a society now where not many people want to help each other. It may be a good idea in future for him to carry a fire extinguisher, water is no use for electrical fires but perhaps carry a foam extinguisher
I feel for the poor lad, I think we are living in a society now where not many people want to help each other. It may be a good idea in future for him to carry a fire extinguisher, water is no use for electrical fires but perhaps carry a foam extinguisher sparkster
  • Score: 4

8:17pm Sat 12 Oct 13

Someone_New says...

userds5050 wrote:
Should have got TPFT.
Maybe he did have - but anyway the insurance money won't (despite what they say) enable him to buy a car of equal value, given he'd spent time and money doing it up. To him, the car may well have greater value than it's "trade in" price alone.
[quote][p][bold]userds5050[/bold] wrote: Should have got TPFT.[/p][/quote]Maybe he did have - but anyway the insurance money won't (despite what they say) enable him to buy a car of equal value, given he'd spent time and money doing it up. To him, the car may well have greater value than it's "trade in" price alone. Someone_New
  • Score: 2

8:18pm Sat 12 Oct 13

Someone_New says...

Inform Al wrote:
Using water on an electrical fire is dangerous. Doubt if I will ever shop in a one stop shop again, however not being a taxi driver I do have an extinguisher within easy reach of the drivers seat for use either to put out a fire in my car or others.
You probably hardly ever shopped there anyway, so no great loss. Besides, there's a tesco express within about 10 yards of everyone now so it seems.
[quote][p][bold]Inform Al[/bold] wrote: Using water on an electrical fire is dangerous. Doubt if I will ever shop in a one stop shop again, however not being a taxi driver I do have an extinguisher within easy reach of the drivers seat for use either to put out a fire in my car or others.[/p][/quote]You probably hardly ever shopped there anyway, so no great loss. Besides, there's a tesco express within about 10 yards of everyone now so it seems. Someone_New
  • Score: 2

8:19pm Sat 12 Oct 13

Someone_New says...

ilovelamp wrote:
rudolph_hucker wrote:
One stop don't sell bottles of water then?
I doubt throwing water at a potentially electric fuse box surrounded by oil is a great idea. Some health and safety laws these days as more likely to endanger people
Most car fuse boxes aren't surrounded by oil - unless you have a really serious engine oil leak!

And don't use health & safety as the get out clause that everyone does, the laws aren't that draconian.
[quote][p][bold]ilovelamp[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]rudolph_hucker[/bold] wrote: One stop don't sell bottles of water then?[/p][/quote]I doubt throwing water at a potentially electric fuse box surrounded by oil is a great idea. Some health and safety laws these days as more likely to endanger people[/p][/quote]Most car fuse boxes aren't surrounded by oil - unless you have a really serious engine oil leak! And don't use health & safety as the get out clause that everyone does, the laws aren't that draconian. Someone_New
  • Score: -2

8:21pm Sat 12 Oct 13

Someone_New says...

Maine Lobster wrote:
Somewhat mean for the shop not to help but maybe the owner should have carried his own fire extinguisher?
Almost nobody else carries an extinguisher in their car, so why should he? I suppose you carry one along with:
- "life hammer" glass breaker
- shovel and blanket in case of snow
- food & drink just in case stranded
- tools to fix any problem on car at roadside

Arguably, people should carry some of these things but in practice people need room for passengers and/or luggage... and you can't mitigate for every risk in life!
[quote][p][bold]Maine Lobster[/bold] wrote: Somewhat mean for the shop not to help but maybe the owner should have carried his own fire extinguisher?[/p][/quote]Almost nobody else carries an extinguisher in their car, so why should he? I suppose you carry one along with: - "life hammer" glass breaker - shovel and blanket in case of snow - food & drink just in case stranded - tools to fix any problem on car at roadside Arguably, people should carry some of these things but in practice people need room for passengers and/or luggage... and you can't mitigate for every risk in life! Someone_New
  • Score: 1

8:24pm Sat 12 Oct 13

Someone_New says...

dango wrote:
why do the above assume the shop only had a water extinguisher? Maybe they also had dry powder or CO2? Being trained I think he would have chosen the appropriate extinguisher.
I feel sorry for the lad and shame on the One-Stop for refusing to help under 'health and safety' grounds. What's safer, extinguishing a small fire before it has chance to reach the fuel tank or letting the fire continue, potentially causing an explosion?
Some people really ought to think before commenting.
I have discovered that to be a value of the echo commenting club you have to ensure you neither think nor even read the article, as often as possible.
[quote][p][bold]dango[/bold] wrote: why do the above assume the shop only had a water extinguisher? Maybe they also had dry powder or CO2? Being trained I think he would have chosen the appropriate extinguisher. I feel sorry for the lad and shame on the One-Stop for refusing to help under 'health and safety' grounds. What's safer, extinguishing a small fire before it has chance to reach the fuel tank or letting the fire continue, potentially causing an explosion? Some people really ought to think before commenting.[/p][/quote]I have discovered that to be a value of the echo commenting club you have to ensure you neither think nor even read the article, as often as possible. Someone_New
  • Score: 7

8:26pm Sat 12 Oct 13

Someone_New says...

Chris storey wrote:
The fire extinguisher was worth twice as much as the car.
Oh well yes, lets all set fire to everything we have that has little monetary value. Maybe it was worth a lot to him? Maybe it was his project car that he learnt to be a mechanic on? Maybe a now deceased family member had owned it since new for all you know, and it has sentimental value?
[quote][p][bold]Chris storey[/bold] wrote: The fire extinguisher was worth twice as much as the car.[/p][/quote]Oh well yes, lets all set fire to everything we have that has little monetary value. Maybe it was worth a lot to him? Maybe it was his project car that he learnt to be a mechanic on? Maybe a now deceased family member had owned it since new for all you know, and it has sentimental value? Someone_New
  • Score: 4

8:31pm Sat 12 Oct 13

Someone_New says...

Donald2000 wrote:
This says to me that One Stop could not be asked to do their civic duty but I will make sure I do my economic duty to the community by never going into their shops.

Although like the true hypocrites they are, I suppose they will want emergency service assistance when they have a problem. Nasty little worms.
But hang on a minute.... is this one-stop corporate policy, or just the actions of a particular individual? You CANNOT rely on the statement from one-stop, their PR people are likely to be all over this and blaming an individual who might have acted against company policy isn't likely to be a good PR move. I am sure they are dealing with it internally. Boycotting all one-stop shops everywhere is an incredible over reaction. Now staying away as they sell overpriced junk is a better reason.
[quote][p][bold]Donald2000[/bold] wrote: This says to me that One Stop could not be asked to do their civic duty but I will make sure I do my economic duty to the community by never going into their shops. Although like the true hypocrites they are, I suppose they will want emergency service assistance when they have a problem. Nasty little worms.[/p][/quote]But hang on a minute.... is this one-stop corporate policy, or just the actions of a particular individual? You CANNOT rely on the statement from one-stop, their PR people are likely to be all over this and blaming an individual who might have acted against company policy isn't likely to be a good PR move. I am sure they are dealing with it internally. Boycotting all one-stop shops everywhere is an incredible over reaction. Now staying away as they sell overpriced junk is a better reason. Someone_New
  • Score: -1

8:33pm Sat 12 Oct 13

Someone_New says...

SPIKEISLANDTRADER wrote:
Shame the lad could not of made it the few yards to SHOLING MOTORS , they certainly would of helped .
Nice attempt at running a free ad in the paper there.
[quote][p][bold]SPIKEISLANDTRADER[/bold] wrote: Shame the lad could not of made it the few yards to SHOLING MOTORS , they certainly would of helped .[/p][/quote]Nice attempt at running a free ad in the paper there. Someone_New
  • Score: 7

8:37pm Sat 12 Oct 13

Someone_New says...

dango wrote:
IronLady2010 wrote:
Graeme Harrison wrote:
sass wrote:
I don't see the problem. He just makes an insurance claim, that is what it's for!
Given the amount he's undoubtedly paid for his insurance, you'd have thought the insurer rather than the Echo would have been his first port of call.
Given the age of both the owner and the vehicle, he's likely only got 3rd party Insurance and may therefore not have fire and theft. In other words not Insured for fire. Just a thought.
I think you'll find it's cheaper to get fully comp from most places as you're deemed less of a risk.
Every quote I have ever had in 20 years of car ownership has lead to fully comp being more than TPFT. Which makes more sense, if the insurance company will be paying out for damage to your vehicle as well as a third party car then it will be more expensive for them. I would also question whether people who know their car will be fixed by the insurers would "take more risk", especially given they would have to pay the excess.
[quote][p][bold]dango[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]IronLady2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Graeme Harrison[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sass[/bold] wrote: I don't see the problem. He just makes an insurance claim, that is what it's for![/p][/quote]Given the amount he's undoubtedly paid for his insurance, you'd have thought the insurer rather than the Echo would have been his first port of call.[/p][/quote]Given the age of both the owner and the vehicle, he's likely only got 3rd party Insurance and may therefore not have fire and theft. In other words not Insured for fire. Just a thought.[/p][/quote]I think you'll find it's cheaper to get fully comp from most places as you're deemed less of a risk.[/p][/quote]Every quote I have ever had in 20 years of car ownership has lead to fully comp being more than TPFT. Which makes more sense, if the insurance company will be paying out for damage to your vehicle as well as a third party car then it will be more expensive for them. I would also question whether people who know their car will be fixed by the insurers would "take more risk", especially given they would have to pay the excess. Someone_New
  • Score: 2

8:39pm Sat 12 Oct 13

Someone_New says...

stay local wrote:
I am not sure if the insurance company will. Pay out.as he says he

is a trainee mechanic, who has done lots of work on the car....... Which then suddenly caught fire. I feel sorry for the lad,but I doubt if the insurance company will show much sympathy.
Of course the insurance company will pay out if he is covered for fire damage!! In fact if he has fixed the car and maintained it well, then they would be even more likely to pay out! Although he could well find the value of his vehicle is less than his excess :-(
[quote][p][bold]stay local[/bold] wrote: I am not sure if the insurance company will. Pay out.as he says he is a trainee mechanic, who has done lots of work on the car....... Which then suddenly caught fire. I feel sorry for the lad,but I doubt if the insurance company will show much sympathy.[/p][/quote]Of course the insurance company will pay out if he is covered for fire damage!! In fact if he has fixed the car and maintained it well, then they would be even more likely to pay out! Although he could well find the value of his vehicle is less than his excess :-( Someone_New
  • Score: 3

8:41pm Sat 12 Oct 13

Someone_New says...

Someone_New wrote:
stay local wrote:
I am not sure if the insurance company will. Pay out.as he says he

is a trainee mechanic, who has done lots of work on the car....... Which then suddenly caught fire. I feel sorry for the lad,but I doubt if the insurance company will show much sympathy.
Of course the insurance company will pay out if he is covered for fire damage!! In fact if he has fixed the car and maintained it well, then they would be even more likely to pay out! Although he could well find the value of his vehicle is less than his excess :-(
In fact, it's such a small amount of money for the insurance company they wouldn't even bother sending round an assessor or quibbling about it at all. So even if he'd fitted an undeclared "max power" style stereo which overwhelmed the car's electrics, I bet he'd still end up getting a pay out from them.
[quote][p][bold]Someone_New[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stay local[/bold] wrote: I am not sure if the insurance company will. Pay out.as he says he is a trainee mechanic, who has done lots of work on the car....... Which then suddenly caught fire. I feel sorry for the lad,but I doubt if the insurance company will show much sympathy.[/p][/quote]Of course the insurance company will pay out if he is covered for fire damage!! In fact if he has fixed the car and maintained it well, then they would be even more likely to pay out! Although he could well find the value of his vehicle is less than his excess :-([/p][/quote]In fact, it's such a small amount of money for the insurance company they wouldn't even bother sending round an assessor or quibbling about it at all. So even if he'd fitted an undeclared "max power" style stereo which overwhelmed the car's electrics, I bet he'd still end up getting a pay out from them. Someone_New
  • Score: 0

8:43pm Sat 12 Oct 13

Someone_New says...

andysaints007 wrote:
dango wrote:
why do the above assume the shop only had a water extinguisher? Maybe they also had dry powder or CO2? Being trained I think he would have chosen the appropriate extinguisher.
I feel sorry for the lad and shame on the One-Stop for refusing to help under 'health and safety' grounds. What's safer, extinguishing a small fire before it has chance to reach the fuel tank or letting the fire continue, potentially causing an explosion?
Some people really ought to think before commenting.
Read the story properly thicko
Just when I think you've finally been banned up you pop again, like a bad smell... until the next time...
[quote][p][bold]andysaints007[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]dango[/bold] wrote: why do the above assume the shop only had a water extinguisher? Maybe they also had dry powder or CO2? Being trained I think he would have chosen the appropriate extinguisher. I feel sorry for the lad and shame on the One-Stop for refusing to help under 'health and safety' grounds. What's safer, extinguishing a small fire before it has chance to reach the fuel tank or letting the fire continue, potentially causing an explosion? Some people really ought to think before commenting.[/p][/quote]Read the story properly thicko[/p][/quote]Just when I think you've finally been banned up you pop again, like a bad smell... until the next time... Someone_New
  • Score: 4

8:56pm Sat 12 Oct 13

Dr Martin says...

Donald2000 wrote:
This says to me that One Stop could not be asked to do their civic duty but I will make sure I do my economic duty to the community by never going into their shops.

Although like the true hypocrites they are, I suppose they will want emergency service assistance when they have a problem. Nasty little worms.
Yes Donald hypocrites are bad aren't they
It is noted you haven't replied to my comment on this story http://www.dailyecho
.co.uk/news/10712933
.Long_delays_after_w
oman_falls_from_brid
ge/

which was................

Just curious Donald, in this story you seem to have a go at realitychecker for lacking compassion yet in another story from last week (see link below) you seem to mock someone who shows compassion towards an injured cyclist

http://www.dailyecho

.co.uk/news/10701597

.Cyclist_hurt_in_cra

sh/?ref=rss
[quote][p][bold]Donald2000[/bold] wrote: This says to me that One Stop could not be asked to do their civic duty but I will make sure I do my economic duty to the community by never going into their shops. Although like the true hypocrites they are, I suppose they will want emergency service assistance when they have a problem. Nasty little worms.[/p][/quote]Yes Donald hypocrites are bad aren't they It is noted you haven't replied to my comment on this story http://www.dailyecho .co.uk/news/10712933 .Long_delays_after_w oman_falls_from_brid ge/ which was................ Just curious Donald, in this story you seem to have a go at realitychecker for lacking compassion yet in another story from last week (see link below) you seem to mock someone who shows compassion towards an injured cyclist http://www.dailyecho .co.uk/news/10701597 .Cyclist_hurt_in_cra sh/?ref=rss Dr Martin
  • Score: 0

9:08pm Sat 12 Oct 13

southamptonadi says...

Someone_New wrote:
Donald2000 wrote:
This says to me that One Stop could not be asked to do their civic duty but I will make sure I do my economic duty to the community by never going into their shops.

Although like the true hypocrites they are, I suppose they will want emergency service assistance when they have a problem. Nasty little worms.
But hang on a minute.... is this one-stop corporate policy, or just the actions of a particular individual? You CANNOT rely on the statement from one-stop, their PR people are likely to be all over this and blaming an individual who might have acted against company policy isn't likely to be a good PR move. I am sure they are dealing with it internally. Boycotting all one-stop shops everywhere is an incredible over reaction. Now staying away as they sell overpriced junk is a better reason.
I imagine that was the PR department i cant beleive the average jo at one stop would quote -

“Our customer service assistant took the decision that the safest course of action in this instance was to let the fire brigade deal with what was already a large and potentially dangerous fire.”

that has a pre planned answer feel to it
[quote][p][bold]Someone_New[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Donald2000[/bold] wrote: This says to me that One Stop could not be asked to do their civic duty but I will make sure I do my economic duty to the community by never going into their shops. Although like the true hypocrites they are, I suppose they will want emergency service assistance when they have a problem. Nasty little worms.[/p][/quote]But hang on a minute.... is this one-stop corporate policy, or just the actions of a particular individual? You CANNOT rely on the statement from one-stop, their PR people are likely to be all over this and blaming an individual who might have acted against company policy isn't likely to be a good PR move. I am sure they are dealing with it internally. Boycotting all one-stop shops everywhere is an incredible over reaction. Now staying away as they sell overpriced junk is a better reason.[/p][/quote]I imagine that was the PR department i cant beleive the average jo at one stop would quote - “Our customer service assistant took the decision that the safest course of action in this instance was to let the fire brigade deal with what was already a large and potentially dangerous fire.” that has a pre planned answer feel to it southamptonadi
  • Score: 3

9:38pm Sat 12 Oct 13

Lockssmart says...

Being a **** myself, one-stop appealed to me. Not anymore, I'm going upmarket to Lidl from now on.
Being a **** myself, one-stop appealed to me. Not anymore, I'm going upmarket to Lidl from now on. Lockssmart
  • Score: 3

9:56pm Sat 12 Oct 13

arthur boutfaith says...

Someone_New wrote:
Maine Lobster wrote:
Somewhat mean for the shop not to help but maybe the owner should have carried his own fire extinguisher?
Almost nobody else carries an extinguisher in their car, so why should he? I suppose you carry one along with:
- "life hammer" glass breaker
- shovel and blanket in case of snow
- food & drink just in case stranded
- tools to fix any problem on car at roadside

Arguably, people should carry some of these things but in practice people need room for passengers and/or luggage... and you can't mitigate for every risk in life!
I always take 'em.
However, always feel a bit of a mug when I'm struggling on and off the bus with 'em.
Nobody ever helps me then either.
[quote][p][bold]Someone_New[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Maine Lobster[/bold] wrote: Somewhat mean for the shop not to help but maybe the owner should have carried his own fire extinguisher?[/p][/quote]Almost nobody else carries an extinguisher in their car, so why should he? I suppose you carry one along with: - "life hammer" glass breaker - shovel and blanket in case of snow - food & drink just in case stranded - tools to fix any problem on car at roadside Arguably, people should carry some of these things but in practice people need room for passengers and/or luggage... and you can't mitigate for every risk in life![/p][/quote]I always take 'em. However, always feel a bit of a mug when I'm struggling on and off the bus with 'em. Nobody ever helps me then either. arthur boutfaith
  • Score: 0

10:54pm Sat 12 Oct 13

rudolph_hucker says...

The car is worth nothing... He did the work himself... But it then caught fire....
Forget one stop what is the name of the garage, must remember never to go there.
The car is worth nothing... He did the work himself... But it then caught fire.... Forget one stop what is the name of the garage, must remember never to go there. rudolph_hucker
  • Score: -2

12:00am Sun 13 Oct 13

S Pance says...

Morally, the store should have helped.

What if there was a child trapped in the back of the car? One Stop's refusal to help would have landed them in very hot water indeed.
Morally, the store should have helped. What if there was a child trapped in the back of the car? One Stop's refusal to help would have landed them in very hot water indeed. S Pance
  • Score: 1

3:14am Sun 13 Oct 13

Ginger_cyclist says...

sparkster wrote:
I feel for the poor lad, I think we are living in a society now where not many people want to help each other. It may be a good idea in future for him to carry a fire extinguisher, water is no use for electrical fires but perhaps carry a foam extinguisher
Foam is no good on electrical fires either, still conducts electricity.
[quote][p][bold]sparkster[/bold] wrote: I feel for the poor lad, I think we are living in a society now where not many people want to help each other. It may be a good idea in future for him to carry a fire extinguisher, water is no use for electrical fires but perhaps carry a foam extinguisher[/p][/quote]Foam is no good on electrical fires either, still conducts electricity. Ginger_cyclist
  • Score: 0

6:55am Sun 13 Oct 13

Dusty says...

Inform Al wrote:
Using water on an electrical fire is dangerous. Doubt if I will ever shop in a one stop shop again, however not being a taxi driver I do have an extinguisher within easy reach of the drivers seat for use either to put out a fire in my car or others.
How can it be dangerous on a car? As the electrical feed is isolated to a 12 volt battery. The car is not plugged in to the mains ;)
[quote][p][bold]Inform Al[/bold] wrote: Using water on an electrical fire is dangerous. Doubt if I will ever shop in a one stop shop again, however not being a taxi driver I do have an extinguisher within easy reach of the drivers seat for use either to put out a fire in my car or others.[/p][/quote]How can it be dangerous on a car? As the electrical feed is isolated to a 12 volt battery. The car is not plugged in to the mains ;) Dusty
  • Score: 0

9:37am Sun 13 Oct 13

egghead65 says...

the shops there to sell you stuff not give things away.and anyway who actually gives a f k,the fire got put out and his insurance covers the cost.get a new car and stop whining like a little girl.
the shops there to sell you stuff not give things away.and anyway who actually gives a f k,the fire got put out and his insurance covers the cost.get a new car and stop whining like a little girl. egghead65
  • Score: -2

9:38am Sun 13 Oct 13

egghead65 says...

egghead65 wrote:
the shops there to sell you stuff not give things away.and anyway who actually gives a f k,the fire got put out and his insurance covers the cost.get a new car and stop whining like a little girl.
thats if he had insurance
[quote][p][bold]egghead65[/bold] wrote: the shops there to sell you stuff not give things away.and anyway who actually gives a f k,the fire got put out and his insurance covers the cost.get a new car and stop whining like a little girl.[/p][/quote]thats if he had insurance egghead65
  • Score: 0

10:05am Sun 13 Oct 13

HappyDuck says...

rudolph_hucker wrote:
One stop don't sell bottles of water then?
What an idiot HAHAHA LOL Pray you don't get a car fire because using water is a stupid idea
[quote][p][bold]rudolph_hucker[/bold] wrote: One stop don't sell bottles of water then?[/p][/quote]What an idiot HAHAHA LOL Pray you don't get a car fire because using water is a stupid idea HappyDuck
  • Score: 1

11:21am Sun 13 Oct 13

Donald2000 says...

Dr Martin wrote:
Donald2000 wrote:
This says to me that One Stop could not be asked to do their civic duty but I will make sure I do my economic duty to the community by never going into their shops.

Although like the true hypocrites they are, I suppose they will want emergency service assistance when they have a problem. Nasty little worms.
Yes Donald hypocrites are bad aren't they
It is noted you haven't replied to my comment on this story http://www.dailyecho

.co.uk/news/10712933

.Long_delays_after_w

oman_falls_from_brid

ge/

which was................

Just curious Donald, in this story you seem to have a go at realitychecker for lacking compassion yet in another story from last week (see link below) you seem to mock someone who shows compassion towards an injured cyclist

http://www.dailyecho


.co.uk/news/10701597


.Cyclist_hurt_in_cra


sh/?ref=rss
You must have mixed with up with someone else, I would never deny compassion to a person who has been hurt. By the way, why are you stalking my entries on the Daily Echo. Have you got a problem we should know about?
[quote][p][bold]Dr Martin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Donald2000[/bold] wrote: This says to me that One Stop could not be asked to do their civic duty but I will make sure I do my economic duty to the community by never going into their shops. Although like the true hypocrites they are, I suppose they will want emergency service assistance when they have a problem. Nasty little worms.[/p][/quote]Yes Donald hypocrites are bad aren't they It is noted you haven't replied to my comment on this story http://www.dailyecho .co.uk/news/10712933 .Long_delays_after_w oman_falls_from_brid ge/ which was................ Just curious Donald, in this story you seem to have a go at realitychecker for lacking compassion yet in another story from last week (see link below) you seem to mock someone who shows compassion towards an injured cyclist http://www.dailyecho .co.uk/news/10701597 .Cyclist_hurt_in_cra sh/?ref=rss[/p][/quote]You must have mixed with up with someone else, I would never deny compassion to a person who has been hurt. By the way, why are you stalking my entries on the Daily Echo. Have you got a problem we should know about? Donald2000
  • Score: -3

11:51am Sun 13 Oct 13

Dr Martin says...

Donald2000 wrote:
Dr Martin wrote:
Donald2000 wrote:
This says to me that One Stop could not be asked to do their civic duty but I will make sure I do my economic duty to the community by never going into their shops.

Although like the true hypocrites they are, I suppose they will want emergency service assistance when they have a problem. Nasty little worms.
Yes Donald hypocrites are bad aren't they
It is noted you haven't replied to my comment on this story http://www.dailyecho


.co.uk/news/10712933


.Long_delays_after_w


oman_falls_from_brid


ge/

which was................

Just curious Donald, in this story you seem to have a go at realitychecker for lacking compassion yet in another story from last week (see link below) you seem to mock someone who shows compassion towards an injured cyclist

http://www.dailyecho



.co.uk/news/10701597



.Cyclist_hurt_in_cra



sh/?ref=rss
You must have mixed with up with someone else, I would never deny compassion to a person who has been hurt. By the way, why are you stalking my entries on the Daily Echo. Have you got a problem we should know about?
You're are the only Donald2000 on this website, I think you have been found out and trying very hard to wriggle out of it.
[quote][p][bold]Donald2000[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Dr Martin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Donald2000[/bold] wrote: This says to me that One Stop could not be asked to do their civic duty but I will make sure I do my economic duty to the community by never going into their shops. Although like the true hypocrites they are, I suppose they will want emergency service assistance when they have a problem. Nasty little worms.[/p][/quote]Yes Donald hypocrites are bad aren't they It is noted you haven't replied to my comment on this story http://www.dailyecho .co.uk/news/10712933 .Long_delays_after_w oman_falls_from_brid ge/ which was................ Just curious Donald, in this story you seem to have a go at realitychecker for lacking compassion yet in another story from last week (see link below) you seem to mock someone who shows compassion towards an injured cyclist http://www.dailyecho .co.uk/news/10701597 .Cyclist_hurt_in_cra sh/?ref=rss[/p][/quote]You must have mixed with up with someone else, I would never deny compassion to a person who has been hurt. By the way, why are you stalking my entries on the Daily Echo. Have you got a problem we should know about?[/p][/quote]You're are the only Donald2000 on this website, I think you have been found out and trying very hard to wriggle out of it. Dr Martin
  • Score: 0

1:03pm Sun 13 Oct 13

Inform Al says...

Dusty wrote:
Inform Al wrote:
Using water on an electrical fire is dangerous. Doubt if I will ever shop in a one stop shop again, however not being a taxi driver I do have an extinguisher within easy reach of the drivers seat for use either to put out a fire in my car or others.
How can it be dangerous on a car? As the electrical feed is isolated to a 12 volt battery. The car is not plugged in to the mains ;)
doesn't matter how low the voltage is and could actually spread currant to a petroly or oily bit
[quote][p][bold]Dusty[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Inform Al[/bold] wrote: Using water on an electrical fire is dangerous. Doubt if I will ever shop in a one stop shop again, however not being a taxi driver I do have an extinguisher within easy reach of the drivers seat for use either to put out a fire in my car or others.[/p][/quote]How can it be dangerous on a car? As the electrical feed is isolated to a 12 volt battery. The car is not plugged in to the mains ;)[/p][/quote]doesn't matter how low the voltage is and could actually spread currant to a petroly or oily bit Inform Al
  • Score: 1

3:17pm Sun 13 Oct 13

Someone_New says...

Inform Al wrote:
Dusty wrote:
Inform Al wrote:
Using water on an electrical fire is dangerous. Doubt if I will ever shop in a one stop shop again, however not being a taxi driver I do have an extinguisher within easy reach of the drivers seat for use either to put out a fire in my car or others.
How can it be dangerous on a car? As the electrical feed is isolated to a 12 volt battery. The car is not plugged in to the mains ;)
doesn't matter how low the voltage is and could actually spread currant to a petroly or oily bit
"spread currant to a petroly or oily bit"? You're raisin an interesting possibility there!
[quote][p][bold]Inform Al[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Dusty[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Inform Al[/bold] wrote: Using water on an electrical fire is dangerous. Doubt if I will ever shop in a one stop shop again, however not being a taxi driver I do have an extinguisher within easy reach of the drivers seat for use either to put out a fire in my car or others.[/p][/quote]How can it be dangerous on a car? As the electrical feed is isolated to a 12 volt battery. The car is not plugged in to the mains ;)[/p][/quote]doesn't matter how low the voltage is and could actually spread currant to a petroly or oily bit[/p][/quote]"spread currant to a petroly or oily bit"? You're raisin an interesting possibility there! Someone_New
  • Score: 5

3:57pm Sun 13 Oct 13

Niel says...

Someone_New wrote:
dango wrote:
IronLady2010 wrote:
Graeme Harrison wrote:
sass wrote:
I don't see the problem. He just makes an insurance claim, that is what it's for!
Given the amount he's undoubtedly paid for his insurance, you'd have thought the insurer rather than the Echo would have been his first port of call.
Given the age of both the owner and the vehicle, he's likely only got 3rd party Insurance and may therefore not have fire and theft. In other words not Insured for fire. Just a thought.
I think you'll find it's cheaper to get fully comp from most places as you're deemed less of a risk.
Every quote I have ever had in 20 years of car ownership has lead to fully comp being more than TPFT. Which makes more sense, if the insurance company will be paying out for damage to your vehicle as well as a third party car then it will be more expensive for them. I would also question whether people who know their car will be fixed by the insurers would "take more risk", especially given they would have to pay the excess.
At that age to loading's applied are huge, try a 20 year old with 2 years relevant NCB, for a cheap (£500) A2 class motorcycle TP £890, TPFT £1800, FC £3000! Most young drivers cannot afford TPFT.
[quote][p][bold]Someone_New[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]dango[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]IronLady2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Graeme Harrison[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sass[/bold] wrote: I don't see the problem. He just makes an insurance claim, that is what it's for![/p][/quote]Given the amount he's undoubtedly paid for his insurance, you'd have thought the insurer rather than the Echo would have been his first port of call.[/p][/quote]Given the age of both the owner and the vehicle, he's likely only got 3rd party Insurance and may therefore not have fire and theft. In other words not Insured for fire. Just a thought.[/p][/quote]I think you'll find it's cheaper to get fully comp from most places as you're deemed less of a risk.[/p][/quote]Every quote I have ever had in 20 years of car ownership has lead to fully comp being more than TPFT. Which makes more sense, if the insurance company will be paying out for damage to your vehicle as well as a third party car then it will be more expensive for them. I would also question whether people who know their car will be fixed by the insurers would "take more risk", especially given they would have to pay the excess.[/p][/quote]At that age to loading's applied are huge, try a 20 year old with 2 years relevant NCB, for a cheap (£500) A2 class motorcycle TP £890, TPFT £1800, FC £3000! Most young drivers cannot afford TPFT. Niel
  • Score: 1

8:03pm Sun 13 Oct 13

Dr Martin says...

Donald2000 wrote:
Dr Martin wrote:
Donald2000 wrote:
This says to me that One Stop could not be asked to do their civic duty but I will make sure I do my economic duty to the community by never going into their shops.

Although like the true hypocrites they are, I suppose they will want emergency service assistance when they have a problem. Nasty little worms.
Yes Donald hypocrites are bad aren't they
It is noted you haven't replied to my comment on this story http://www.dailyecho


.co.uk/news/10712933


.Long_delays_after_w


oman_falls_from_brid


ge/

which was................

Just curious Donald, in this story you seem to have a go at realitychecker for lacking compassion yet in another story from last week (see link below) you seem to mock someone who shows compassion towards an injured cyclist

http://www.dailyecho



.co.uk/news/10701597



.Cyclist_hurt_in_cra



sh/?ref=rss
You must have mixed with up with someone else, I would never deny compassion to a person who has been hurt. By the way, why are you stalking my entries on the Daily Echo. Have you got a problem we should know about?
You seem to lack compassion here Donald, what do you say to this?

AFrustratedCyclist wrote:
:-)
hope it wasn't too serious and she recovers quick

Donald2000
Yawn.....
[quote][p][bold]Donald2000[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Dr Martin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Donald2000[/bold] wrote: This says to me that One Stop could not be asked to do their civic duty but I will make sure I do my economic duty to the community by never going into their shops. Although like the true hypocrites they are, I suppose they will want emergency service assistance when they have a problem. Nasty little worms.[/p][/quote]Yes Donald hypocrites are bad aren't they It is noted you haven't replied to my comment on this story http://www.dailyecho .co.uk/news/10712933 .Long_delays_after_w oman_falls_from_brid ge/ which was................ Just curious Donald, in this story you seem to have a go at realitychecker for lacking compassion yet in another story from last week (see link below) you seem to mock someone who shows compassion towards an injured cyclist http://www.dailyecho .co.uk/news/10701597 .Cyclist_hurt_in_cra sh/?ref=rss[/p][/quote]You must have mixed with up with someone else, I would never deny compassion to a person who has been hurt. By the way, why are you stalking my entries on the Daily Echo. Have you got a problem we should know about?[/p][/quote]You seem to lack compassion here Donald, what do you say to this? AFrustratedCyclist wrote: :-) hope it wasn't too serious and she recovers quick Donald2000 Yawn..... Dr Martin
  • Score: 0

9:06pm Sun 13 Oct 13

Inform Al says...

Someone_New wrote:
Inform Al wrote:
Dusty wrote:
Inform Al wrote:
Using water on an electrical fire is dangerous. Doubt if I will ever shop in a one stop shop again, however not being a taxi driver I do have an extinguisher within easy reach of the drivers seat for use either to put out a fire in my car or others.
How can it be dangerous on a car? As the electrical feed is isolated to a 12 volt battery. The car is not plugged in to the mains ;)
doesn't matter how low the voltage is and could actually spread currant to a petroly or oily bit
"spread currant to a petroly or oily bit"? You're raisin an interesting possibility there!
and nuts
[quote][p][bold]Someone_New[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Inform Al[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Dusty[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Inform Al[/bold] wrote: Using water on an electrical fire is dangerous. Doubt if I will ever shop in a one stop shop again, however not being a taxi driver I do have an extinguisher within easy reach of the drivers seat for use either to put out a fire in my car or others.[/p][/quote]How can it be dangerous on a car? As the electrical feed is isolated to a 12 volt battery. The car is not plugged in to the mains ;)[/p][/quote]doesn't matter how low the voltage is and could actually spread currant to a petroly or oily bit[/p][/quote]"spread currant to a petroly or oily bit"? You're raisin an interesting possibility there![/p][/quote]and nuts Inform Al
  • Score: 4

12:34am Mon 14 Oct 13

ilovelamp says...

Someone_New wrote:
ilovelamp wrote:
rudolph_hucker wrote:
One stop don't sell bottles of water then?
I doubt throwing water at a potentially electric fuse box surrounded by oil is a great idea. Some health and safety laws these days as more likely to endanger people
Most car fuse boxes aren't surrounded by oil - unless you have a really serious engine oil leak!

And don't use health & safety as the get out clause that everyone does, the laws aren't that draconian.
Nibble
[quote][p][bold]Someone_New[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ilovelamp[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]rudolph_hucker[/bold] wrote: One stop don't sell bottles of water then?[/p][/quote]I doubt throwing water at a potentially electric fuse box surrounded by oil is a great idea. Some health and safety laws these days as more likely to endanger people[/p][/quote]Most car fuse boxes aren't surrounded by oil - unless you have a really serious engine oil leak! And don't use health & safety as the get out clause that everyone does, the laws aren't that draconian.[/p][/quote]Nibble ilovelamp
  • Score: 1

8:11am Mon 14 Oct 13

sb2012 says...

I am advising you to let you know I am boycotting your stores concering an incident outside one of your stores recently as publicised by Hampshire Daily Echo

http://www.dailyecho
.co.uk/news/10735161
.Teen_driver_s_car_g
oes_up_in_flames_aft
er_shop_refuses_to_h
elp/?ref=ar

I dont see why I should support your business with my custom if you couldnt support this young man when he approached your business for emergency assistance,

Wishing you all the best, but until you can find a way to morally fix this matter I will no longer providing you with further revenue from my pocket.
I am advising you to let you know I am boycotting your stores concering an incident outside one of your stores recently as publicised by Hampshire Daily Echo http://www.dailyecho .co.uk/news/10735161 .Teen_driver_s_car_g oes_up_in_flames_aft er_shop_refuses_to_h elp/?ref=ar I dont see why I should support your business with my custom if you couldnt support this young man when he approached your business for emergency assistance, Wishing you all the best, but until you can find a way to morally fix this matter I will no longer providing you with further revenue from my pocket. sb2012
  • Score: -5

8:12am Mon 14 Oct 13

sb2012 says...

above comment was sent to them directly
above comment was sent to them directly sb2012
  • Score: -5

10:01am Mon 14 Oct 13

Jesus_02 says...

sass wrote:
I don't see the problem. He just makes an insurance claim, that is what it's for!
You obviously dont understand that insurance is really just a privatley managed tax.

By the time he's paid £200 excess + admin fee and taken a hit with inflated premiums for the next 5 years it would cost a lot more than the "book price" he would end up getting for the car.
[quote][p][bold]sass[/bold] wrote: I don't see the problem. He just makes an insurance claim, that is what it's for![/p][/quote]You obviously dont understand that insurance is really just a privatley managed tax. By the time he's paid £200 excess + admin fee and taken a hit with inflated premiums for the next 5 years it would cost a lot more than the "book price" he would end up getting for the car. Jesus_02
  • Score: 0

1:55pm Mon 14 Oct 13

Lolly* says...

Health and saftey rules and regulations take the p*ss these days.
Health and saftey rules and regulations take the p*ss these days. Lolly*
  • Score: -2

6:02am Fri 18 Oct 13

businessmachine says...

That's a 306 not a 106.
That's a 306 not a 106. businessmachine
  • Score: 0

9:41am Fri 18 Oct 13

Inform Al says...

Someone_New wrote:
Inform Al wrote:
Using water on an electrical fire is dangerous. Doubt if I will ever shop in a one stop shop again, however not being a taxi driver I do have an extinguisher within easy reach of the drivers seat for use either to put out a fire in my car or others.
You probably hardly ever shopped there anyway, so no great loss. Besides, there's a tesco express within about 10 yards of everyone now so it seems.
You're right, I did hardly ever shop there before, but now it's never shop there.
[quote][p][bold]Someone_New[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Inform Al[/bold] wrote: Using water on an electrical fire is dangerous. Doubt if I will ever shop in a one stop shop again, however not being a taxi driver I do have an extinguisher within easy reach of the drivers seat for use either to put out a fire in my car or others.[/p][/quote]You probably hardly ever shopped there anyway, so no great loss. Besides, there's a tesco express within about 10 yards of everyone now so it seems.[/p][/quote]You're right, I did hardly ever shop there before, but now it's never shop there. Inform Al
  • Score: -1

5:36pm Sat 19 Oct 13

gilbertratchet says...

IronLady2010 wrote:
Graeme Harrison wrote:
sass wrote:
I don't see the problem. He just makes an insurance claim, that is what it's for!
Given the amount he's undoubtedly paid for his insurance, you'd have thought the insurer rather than the Echo would have been his first port of call.
Given the age of both the owner and the vehicle, he's likely only got 3rd party Insurance and may therefore not have fire and theft. In other words not Insured for fire. Just a thought.
I doubt it. Adding fire and theft is rarely much more if anything. In fact, fully comp is generally not much more these days either.
[quote][p][bold]IronLady2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Graeme Harrison[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sass[/bold] wrote: I don't see the problem. He just makes an insurance claim, that is what it's for![/p][/quote]Given the amount he's undoubtedly paid for his insurance, you'd have thought the insurer rather than the Echo would have been his first port of call.[/p][/quote]Given the age of both the owner and the vehicle, he's likely only got 3rd party Insurance and may therefore not have fire and theft. In other words not Insured for fire. Just a thought.[/p][/quote]I doubt it. Adding fire and theft is rarely much more if anything. In fact, fully comp is generally not much more these days either. gilbertratchet
  • Score: -2

5:38pm Sat 19 Oct 13

gilbertratchet says...

Someone_New wrote:
dango wrote:
IronLady2010 wrote:
Graeme Harrison wrote:
sass wrote:
I don't see the problem. He just makes an insurance claim, that is what it's for!
Given the amount he's undoubtedly paid for his insurance, you'd have thought the insurer rather than the Echo would have been his first port of call.
Given the age of both the owner and the vehicle, he's likely only got 3rd party Insurance and may therefore not have fire and theft. In other words not Insured for fire. Just a thought.
I think you'll find it's cheaper to get fully comp from most places as you're deemed less of a risk.
Every quote I have ever had in 20 years of car ownership has lead to fully comp being more than TPFT. Which makes more sense, if the insurance company will be paying out for damage to your vehicle as well as a third party car then it will be more expensive for them. I would also question whether people who know their car will be fixed by the insurers would "take more risk", especially given they would have to pay the excess.
You'd think it would make sense your way round, yes, but I too have the same experience as others: fully comp is the cheapest option. Insurance companies know far more about risk management than you or I, it being basically the core of their business, so I think we can assume there's less risk for them with everyone on fully comp. Probably something to do with costs of cover vs claims overall, than based on individual cases.
[quote][p][bold]Someone_New[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]dango[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]IronLady2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Graeme Harrison[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sass[/bold] wrote: I don't see the problem. He just makes an insurance claim, that is what it's for![/p][/quote]Given the amount he's undoubtedly paid for his insurance, you'd have thought the insurer rather than the Echo would have been his first port of call.[/p][/quote]Given the age of both the owner and the vehicle, he's likely only got 3rd party Insurance and may therefore not have fire and theft. In other words not Insured for fire. Just a thought.[/p][/quote]I think you'll find it's cheaper to get fully comp from most places as you're deemed less of a risk.[/p][/quote]Every quote I have ever had in 20 years of car ownership has lead to fully comp being more than TPFT. Which makes more sense, if the insurance company will be paying out for damage to your vehicle as well as a third party car then it will be more expensive for them. I would also question whether people who know their car will be fixed by the insurers would "take more risk", especially given they would have to pay the excess.[/p][/quote]You'd think it would make sense your way round, yes, but I too have the same experience as others: fully comp is the cheapest option. Insurance companies know far more about risk management than you or I, it being basically the core of their business, so I think we can assume there's less risk for them with everyone on fully comp. Probably something to do with costs of cover vs claims overall, than based on individual cases. gilbertratchet
  • Score: 0

9:16pm Sun 20 Oct 13

Dr Martin says...

sb2012 wrote:
above comment was sent to them directly
Your choice I suppose, but how do you know the shop that you will now go to will help given a similar situation?
[quote][p][bold]sb2012[/bold] wrote: above comment was sent to them directly[/p][/quote]Your choice I suppose, but how do you know the shop that you will now go to will help given a similar situation? Dr Martin
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree