When news happens, text SDE and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
Builders to foot bill for repairs to water pipes at Southampton central police station
SOUTHAMPTON’S £30million Central police station is set for vital repair work to cure its water leak woes.
The Daily Echo revealed earlier this year how the station, which only opened two years ago, was riddled with faulty pipes that have caused leaks and flooding.
Now Hampshire’s Police and Crime Commissioner has announced that a 12-week programme of work to replace the pipes will begin on Monday.
And there will be no cost to the public purse after the subcontractor which installed the pipes assumed full responsibility for paying for the work.
When The Princess Royal opened the new station in Southern Road in October 2011 it was hailed as one of the most modern stations in the country.
But over the next year the extent of the problems with |its pipework became |apparent.
Leaks were reported on a number of floors and lifts were put out of action due to flooding in the shafts, while its 36-cell, state-of-the-art custody suite also experienced problems.
The situation was labelled an “embarrassment” by John Apter from the Hampshire Police Federation, while Southampton-based construction firm Kier's subcontractor, which arried out the work, will bear the cost of the repair work.
The 12-week programme of work that will begin on Monday was only agreed after months of negotiations between Hampshire Constabulary and Kier, whose sub-contractors carried out the work.
Kier has not released details of how much the work will cost.
Although there had previously been fears the work could lead to police officers being moved out of the building, staff will now not be relocated.
Hampshire’s Police and Crime Commissioner Simon Hayes, pictured below, said he hopes work can be carried out with “minimal disruption” to staff, and that frontline policing in the city will not be affected.
After the repair work is carried out, work on the custody suite is likely to begin in January, although at the moment it is not anticipated that the work will cause the closure of the facility.
Mr Hayes said: “I would like to commend all those involved in the negotiations to bring this matter to a satisfactory conclusion.
“Members of the constabulary estates team have worked very closely with Kier throughout the negotiation process to reach this outcome for the benefit of all concerned, with minimal disruption to staff and at no cost to the taxpayer.”
Comments are closed on this article.