When news happens, text SDE and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
Families join call for calm in Thornhill after girls are assaulted
12:39am Sunday 20th October 2013 in News
POLICE have appealed for calm after a brutal attack on three girls sparked outrage in a Southampton community.
Officers have joined the families of the three girls in calling for calm after a 15 year old and a 16-year-old were left with serious head and facial injuries in an attack at Hinkler Park.
Another 15-year-old was also assaulted and sustained minor injuries on Friday night.
They had previously seen the attacker who is believed to have assaulted them in a block of flats in Chettle Road earlier that evening.
The families said: “We’d like to thank members of the community for coming forward with information and for the support they’ve given us.
“However, we now need to remain calm and let the police get on with the investigation.”
Inspector Chris Spellerberg said: “There is an extensive investigation underway and a man has been arrested in connection with the incident.
“Members of the community should remember that any vigilante-type attacks or incitement of that type of activity will not be tolerated. This also applies for comments made on social media. Anyone suspected of committing a criminal offence will be dealt with appropriately.”
Officers from the Safer Neighbourhoods Team will be in the area this weekend to answer questions from members of the community and offer advice and reassurance.
An 18-year-old man from the Southampton area has been arrested in connection with this incident and remains in police custody at this time.
Anyone with any information about this incident is asked to contact Bitterne CID on 101 or call the charity Crimestoppers line on 0800 555 111, where information can left anonymously.