When news happens, text SDE and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
Coroner to examine circumstances surrounding the death of Blake Fowler
7:00am Monday 4th November 2013 in News
AN inquest is due to take place today into the death of a seven-year-old boy in Southampton.
A coroner will examine the circumstances surrounding the death of Blake Fowler, who died on December 4, 2011.
As previosuly reported, it will be the first of three inquests to be held in the city this week.
Hearings will also take place for the unrelated deaths of Nico Maynard as well as for Bradley Adams and his brother Jayden.
The Daily Echo understands there will be no juries to hear the evidence, no witnesses or adults responsible for their care will be questioned in public by the coroner and the hearings are scheduled to last just two hours each.
This paper asked why it has taken so long to investigate the circumstances of the deaths of the four youngsters.
Blake’s death sent shockwaves through a community just weeks before Christmas.
It was on the evening of December 3 that an ambulance was called to Cromarty Road in Lordshill, Southampton, where Blake is understood to have suffered a serious head injury.
At the time, he was in the care of his step-father Peter Meek and was visiting the home of relatives when he sustained the injury that was to later prove fatal.
Blake, described by loved ones as “a little ray of sunshine” was taken to Southampton General Hospital by an ambulance called to the house earlier that evening.
Hampshire police were alerted to what was unfolding in a phone call from hospital staff at 7pm.
Arrest But despite the efforts of doctors who fought hard to save him, the following day they told his mother, Sarah Spacagna, that nothing more could be done to save him.
On December 4, detectives arrested Peter Meek, a well-known amateur boxer in the city, and his brother Philip Meek, then 21, on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm.
A post-mortem examination confirmed that Blake had died from head injuries but exactly how he came to suffer them that night has never been known.
It was on April 17 last year that the two men were told by Hampshire police that they would not face criminal proceedings in light of Blake’s death, following consultation with the Crown Prosecution Service.
A Serious Case Review has now been launched looking at the roles all authorities played.
The inquest will start at 10am in Hulse Road, Southampton.