Inquest finds no clear cause of death of former steel worker Alfred Read

MYSTERY surrounds the death of a former steel worker who was suffering from a host of illnesses after an inquest found no clear cause of death.

Alfred Read, 67, was found dead in his supported home in Gemini Close, in Lordshill, in Southampton, on August 3 of this year.

The pensioner was suffering abdominal pain, schizophrenia, lung damage due to exposure to asbestos and severe breathing problems. But a post-mortem examination could not pin down the exact cause of death.

Pathologist Adrian Bateman said there was a possibility that he could have suffered from cardiac arrhythmia, where his heart could beat irregularly before stopping – but he admitted this was only a theory.

But coroner Keith Wiseman said: “I don’t have to know what natural cause it was. In terms of the legal position I am entirely satisfied that it was death from natural causes.

"One would like to know a little bit more about what happened and I am very sorry we don’t but everything has been done by Dr Bateman as can be.”

Comments (5)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:39pm Sun 1 Dec 13

southy says...

Did you check out the places where he work, and if he got lung damage due to exposure to asbestos, then how could you say death from natural causes,
death from industrial causes would be more apt
Did you check out the places where he work, and if he got lung damage due to exposure to asbestos, then how could you say death from natural causes, death from industrial causes would be more apt southy

2:08pm Sun 1 Dec 13

wr0ng1 says...

southy wrote:
Did you check out the places where he work, and if he got lung damage due to exposure to asbestos, then how could you say death from natural causes,
death from industrial causes would be more apt
Because if asbestosis was the cause of death, they'd have determined that.
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Did you check out the places where he work, and if he got lung damage due to exposure to asbestos, then how could you say death from natural causes, death from industrial causes would be more apt[/p][/quote]Because if asbestosis was the cause of death, they'd have determined that. wr0ng1

2:16pm Sun 1 Dec 13

OSPREYSAINT says...

Sad, but with so much going wrong it is blessed relief for all concerned, I guess it is important to find the cause in order to prevent it happening to others, but this seems a clear case of a body giving up after taking too much punishment, God Rest his Soul.
Sad, but with so much going wrong it is blessed relief for all concerned, I guess it is important to find the cause in order to prevent it happening to others, but this seems a clear case of a body giving up after taking too much punishment, God Rest his Soul. OSPREYSAINT

4:07pm Sun 1 Dec 13

Niel says...

wr0ng1 wrote:
southy wrote:
Did you check out the places where he work, and if he got lung damage due to exposure to asbestos, then how could you say death from natural causes,
death from industrial causes would be more apt
Because if asbestosis was the cause of death, they'd have determined that.
They try not to if at all possible, saves insurance companies a not so small fortune...
[quote][p][bold]wr0ng1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Did you check out the places where he work, and if he got lung damage due to exposure to asbestos, then how could you say death from natural causes, death from industrial causes would be more apt[/p][/quote]Because if asbestosis was the cause of death, they'd have determined that.[/p][/quote]They try not to if at all possible, saves insurance companies a not so small fortune... Niel

10:11am Mon 2 Dec 13

Torchie1 says...

Niel wrote:
wr0ng1 wrote:
southy wrote:
Did you check out the places where he work, and if he got lung damage due to exposure to asbestos, then how could you say death from natural causes,
death from industrial causes would be more apt
Because if asbestosis was the cause of death, they'd have determined that.
They try not to if at all possible, saves insurance companies a not so small fortune...
You are accusing the Pathologist and the Coroner of falsifying the verdict to satisfy an insurance company ?
[quote][p][bold]Niel[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]wr0ng1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Did you check out the places where he work, and if he got lung damage due to exposure to asbestos, then how could you say death from natural causes, death from industrial causes would be more apt[/p][/quote]Because if asbestosis was the cause of death, they'd have determined that.[/p][/quote]They try not to if at all possible, saves insurance companies a not so small fortune...[/p][/quote]You are accusing the Pathologist and the Coroner of falsifying the verdict to satisfy an insurance company ? Torchie1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree