LSD user jumped from multi-storey car park, inquest told

Daily Echo: LSD user jumped from multi-storey car park, inquest told LSD user jumped from multi-storey car park, inquest told

A YOUNG man jumped off a multi-storey car park after taking LSD, an inquest heard.

James Ghaben, 22, fell to his death on September 2 after he had called his mum in the morning at her work to confess he had taken the hallucinogenic drug, the inquest was told.

Giving evidence, PC Gary Pearce said police were called later that evening after James drove away at speed from the family home under the influence of the drug.

PC Pearce said on the day of his death his mum had left him at their family home in Marchwood as she went to work.

But he said: "James then phoned his mum at 8.45am to say “I have done it again”, by that his mum knew he had taken some drugs, possibly LSD.

“She came straight home and phoned his step dad Kelvin, who came from work and remained with him for the test of the day to make sure he remained in the house.”

Southampton Coroner’s Court heard how he had a history of taking drugs such as LSD, and cannabis, and after his death legal highs were found in his post.

James had that year dropped out of his course at the University of Staffordshire, although he was not known to have suffered mental health problems or attempted to take his own life before.

But PC Pearce said on the day of his death James made references to “not wanting to live in the world anymore” and saying he “does not live in reality”.

He said: “He was talking about a big government conspiracy which everyone is involved in.

“He was described by his parents as acting like a caged animal, often pacing up and down.

"At one point he came down to the garage and said it was too bright upstairs and he wanted to be in the garage where it was dark."

Related links

But at about 9.20pm, PC Pearce said James’ parents saw him speed away from his home in Tavells Lane in Marchwood in his red Fiat without his lights on, sparking concerns for other road users’ safety.

Later on that night, at 11pm, he was found at the bottom of West Quay multi-storey car park and after identification was discovered his parents were notified. A suicide letter addressed to his mum was then found.

Coroner Keith Wiseman ruled that he took his own life while the balance of his mind was disturbed.

He said: "This drug was obviously causing him enormous difficulties."


Comments are closed on this article.


About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree