Death of man that sparked gas leak fear was actually due to heart failure

Daily Echo: Death of man was not due to gas leak Death of man was not due to gas leak

A SOUTHAMPTON man whose death sparked panic over a gas leak died of heart failure, an inquest heard.

Jonathan Pitt was found dead at his home in Vine Road, Cox-ford, where Hampshire Fire and Rescue and Southern Gas were called as gas hobs had been left on in his kitchen, forcing them to switch off the supply.

But the inquest heard there was no trace of carbon monoxide poisoning and that he would often forget to turn hobs off after using them to light cigarettes.

A post mortem revealed the 43-year-old, who was found by his Thai wife Suphanit, had serious heart problems which went unnoticed because he had not been to a doctor in years.

The inquest heard he had appeared ill in the days before his death in July.

Acting Det Sgt Victoria Boddy said: “His mother said he had been unwell and suffered from vomiting and dizziness.

“He did smoke and took paracetamol often and also drank a lot of coffee to allow him to stay up and play games. “He was a gentleman who spent a lot of time awake.”

Coroner Keith Wiseman recorded a verdict of death due to natural causes.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree