Drink-driver 'devastated' family by killing 10-year-old girl

Daily Echo: Evey Staley Evey Staley

THE relatives of a young girl killed in a crash caused by a drink-driver have told of how the incident “devastated” the family.

Ten-year-old Evey Staley died after the family car she was travelling in was hit by a driver two and a half times over the drink-drive limit on the Isle of Wight last year.

The driver, Robert Blakely, had also been smoking cannabis.

Now her heartbroken family are speaking out for the first time as part of Hampshire Constabulary's Is It Worth The Risk? anti-drink and drug driving campaign ahead of the Christmas season.

As reported by the Daily Echo, Evey and her mum and dad, Neal and Penny Staley, got in the car to buy sprinkles to make cupcakes before tragedy struck in Newport.

Her parents suffered serious injuries while young Evey was air lifted to Southampton General Hospital.

Evey's aunt and uncle, Hayley and Alan Staley, looked after her sister Ellie after the crash, and described the heartbreaking moment police informed them their niece had died.

Hayley said: “I remember thinking she (Evey) has gone to Southampton, she's going to be OK. You've got to stop this.

“I got Ellie off to bed and it wasn't very long after the police knocked on the door to give us the news.“She should have had her mum and dad at a time like this. There was no question we wanted her to come with us.

“She slept in my bed with me, just in pieces.

“It's just not worth it. The way I see it, some people have a glass of wine after work to relax. Why do you want to be relaxed when you get behind the wheel? You need to be focused on what you're doing.

“It's just not worth it. The devastation this family have been through because of someone's decision to do that. I cannot tell you the things we have been involved in with Neal and Penny over the last year. The conversations we have had to have.”

Alan added: “The thing I will never forget is the day of the funeral, pushing my brother in his wheel chair up the church isle to his ten year old daughter's funeral.”

Hayley added: “Two days before this happened, Alan and I were talking in the kitchen and there had been another accident on the island. I said that poor family, what they are going through must be terrible. He hugged me and said we're so lucky.

“Two days later we lost Evey. Luck runs out for some people.”

Comments (8)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:44pm Tue 10 Dec 13

eurogordi says...

This is a tragic loss of a young life, but I am unfortunately cynical when it comes to these anti-drink/drug campaigns.

The hardened offender will not take any notice and will continue with their dangerous habits in the hope that nothing bad will ever happen.

Until the UK introduces a zero tolerance attitude to drink/drug driving these tragedies will continue to happen.

I can understand how devastated the Staley family are at this present time, but I also home that they will one day find forgiveness too.

However hard it may seem, we can only fully recover from situations like this and have a better future when we learn to forgive again.

If you don't believe me, look at the life of Nelson Mandela!
This is a tragic loss of a young life, but I am unfortunately cynical when it comes to these anti-drink/drug campaigns. The hardened offender will not take any notice and will continue with their dangerous habits in the hope that nothing bad will ever happen. Until the UK introduces a zero tolerance attitude to drink/drug driving these tragedies will continue to happen. I can understand how devastated the Staley family are at this present time, but I also home that they will one day find forgiveness too. However hard it may seem, we can only fully recover from situations like this and have a better future when we learn to forgive again. If you don't believe me, look at the life of Nelson Mandela! eurogordi

1:21pm Tue 10 Dec 13

Uberarticuno says...

eurogordi wrote:
This is a tragic loss of a young life, but I am unfortunately cynical when it comes to these anti-drink/drug campaigns.

The hardened offender will not take any notice and will continue with their dangerous habits in the hope that nothing bad will ever happen.

Until the UK introduces a zero tolerance attitude to drink/drug driving these tragedies will continue to happen.

I can understand how devastated the Staley family are at this present time, but I also home that they will one day find forgiveness too.

However hard it may seem, we can only fully recover from situations like this and have a better future when we learn to forgive again.

If you don't believe me, look at the life of Nelson Mandela!
If the hardened offender won't take any notice, why would they take any if there was a zero tolerance rule?
[quote][p][bold]eurogordi[/bold] wrote: This is a tragic loss of a young life, but I am unfortunately cynical when it comes to these anti-drink/drug campaigns. The hardened offender will not take any notice and will continue with their dangerous habits in the hope that nothing bad will ever happen. Until the UK introduces a zero tolerance attitude to drink/drug driving these tragedies will continue to happen. I can understand how devastated the Staley family are at this present time, but I also home that they will one day find forgiveness too. However hard it may seem, we can only fully recover from situations like this and have a better future when we learn to forgive again. If you don't believe me, look at the life of Nelson Mandela![/p][/quote]If the hardened offender won't take any notice, why would they take any if there was a zero tolerance rule? Uberarticuno

1:40pm Tue 10 Dec 13

Charlie Bucket says...

Uberarticuno wrote:
eurogordi wrote:
This is a tragic loss of a young life, but I am unfortunately cynical when it comes to these anti-drink/drug campaigns.

The hardened offender will not take any notice and will continue with their dangerous habits in the hope that nothing bad will ever happen.

Until the UK introduces a zero tolerance attitude to drink/drug driving these tragedies will continue to happen.

I can understand how devastated the Staley family are at this present time, but I also home that they will one day find forgiveness too.

However hard it may seem, we can only fully recover from situations like this and have a better future when we learn to forgive again.

If you don't believe me, look at the life of Nelson Mandela!
If the hardened offender won't take any notice, why would they take any if there was a zero tolerance rule?
They won't. It's been proven time and again that for certain types of crimes, severity of punishment is not a deterrent. These crimes are typically crimes committed in the absence of rational thought: most violent crimes being an obvious example. In a fit of rage, someone isn't generally going to consider the consequences of his actions and stop himself punching someone in the face, or taking a knife to them.

Similarly, when we're influenced by drink or drugs, we're less rational. It stands to reason, then, that we're less likely to consider the consequences of our actions. What prevents most of us from driving whilst drunk isn't the fear of a harsh punishment, it's the fact that we know we'd be putting ourselves and others in danger. It's a lack of belief that they're putting themselves or someone else in danger that lets the hardened drink-driver do what he does. As you point out, fear of a harsher sentence isn't even a factor.

I think we're actually heading in the right direction with drink-driving, as a society. Putting the legal aspect aside, it's far more frowned upon by people in general than it used to be. Time was, "I've only had a few" was bandied around and exchanged between enablers all the time, and not many people got too bothered by it. Some did, but a lot of people didn't. Nowadays, it's a really antisocial thing to say.

It seems the maxim of "educate people about the facts" is working, albeit slowly.
[quote][p][bold]Uberarticuno[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]eurogordi[/bold] wrote: This is a tragic loss of a young life, but I am unfortunately cynical when it comes to these anti-drink/drug campaigns. The hardened offender will not take any notice and will continue with their dangerous habits in the hope that nothing bad will ever happen. Until the UK introduces a zero tolerance attitude to drink/drug driving these tragedies will continue to happen. I can understand how devastated the Staley family are at this present time, but I also home that they will one day find forgiveness too. However hard it may seem, we can only fully recover from situations like this and have a better future when we learn to forgive again. If you don't believe me, look at the life of Nelson Mandela![/p][/quote]If the hardened offender won't take any notice, why would they take any if there was a zero tolerance rule?[/p][/quote]They won't. It's been proven time and again that for certain types of crimes, severity of punishment is not a deterrent. These crimes are typically crimes committed in the absence of rational thought: most violent crimes being an obvious example. In a fit of rage, someone isn't generally going to consider the consequences of his actions and stop himself punching someone in the face, or taking a knife to them. Similarly, when we're influenced by drink or drugs, we're less rational. It stands to reason, then, that we're less likely to consider the consequences of our actions. What prevents most of us from driving whilst drunk isn't the fear of a harsh punishment, it's the fact that we know we'd be putting ourselves and others in danger. It's a lack of belief that they're putting themselves or someone else in danger that lets the hardened drink-driver do what he does. As you point out, fear of a harsher sentence isn't even a factor. I think we're actually heading in the right direction with drink-driving, as a society. Putting the legal aspect aside, it's far more frowned upon by people in general than it used to be. Time was, "I've only had a few" was bandied around and exchanged between enablers all the time, and not many people got too bothered by it. Some did, but a lot of people didn't. Nowadays, it's a really antisocial thing to say. It seems the maxim of "educate people about the facts" is working, albeit slowly. Charlie Bucket

3:31pm Tue 10 Dec 13

eurogordi says...

Uberarticuno wrote:
eurogordi wrote:
This is a tragic loss of a young life, but I am unfortunately cynical when it comes to these anti-drink/drug campaigns.

The hardened offender will not take any notice and will continue with their dangerous habits in the hope that nothing bad will ever happen.

Until the UK introduces a zero tolerance attitude to drink/drug driving these tragedies will continue to happen.

I can understand how devastated the Staley family are at this present time, but I also home that they will one day find forgiveness too.

However hard it may seem, we can only fully recover from situations like this and have a better future when we learn to forgive again.

If you don't believe me, look at the life of Nelson Mandela!
If the hardened offender won't take any notice, why would they take any if there was a zero tolerance rule?
It might not change the hardened offender BUT it would be easier to control as the Police and/or security staff could carry out checks on people leaving pubs, restaurants etc.

It would not necessarily stop people drinking in non-licensed premises or taking a cocktail of drugs, but it would stop those who go out for an evening and still have "one for the road" which is often the one too many.

I also believe we should tighten off-licence rules in the UK, particularly with the huge discounts that are still available at major supermarkets despite all the rhetoric saying that this was going to stop.

For too long the UK has taken an irresponsible and naïve opinion of the dangers of alcohol because of the high taxes it attracts. This is what has to change at the top.
[quote][p][bold]Uberarticuno[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]eurogordi[/bold] wrote: This is a tragic loss of a young life, but I am unfortunately cynical when it comes to these anti-drink/drug campaigns. The hardened offender will not take any notice and will continue with their dangerous habits in the hope that nothing bad will ever happen. Until the UK introduces a zero tolerance attitude to drink/drug driving these tragedies will continue to happen. I can understand how devastated the Staley family are at this present time, but I also home that they will one day find forgiveness too. However hard it may seem, we can only fully recover from situations like this and have a better future when we learn to forgive again. If you don't believe me, look at the life of Nelson Mandela![/p][/quote]If the hardened offender won't take any notice, why would they take any if there was a zero tolerance rule?[/p][/quote]It might not change the hardened offender BUT it would be easier to control as the Police and/or security staff could carry out checks on people leaving pubs, restaurants etc. It would not necessarily stop people drinking in non-licensed premises or taking a cocktail of drugs, but it would stop those who go out for an evening and still have "one for the road" which is often the one too many. I also believe we should tighten off-licence rules in the UK, particularly with the huge discounts that are still available at major supermarkets despite all the rhetoric saying that this was going to stop. For too long the UK has taken an irresponsible and naïve opinion of the dangers of alcohol because of the high taxes it attracts. This is what has to change at the top. eurogordi

6:23pm Tue 10 Dec 13

nevereverblue says...

eurogordi

Do you really expect the family to forgive this murderer..........
WOULD YOU?????

If you would then you are no better than the drunk / drugged driver of the car.
It's people like you saying things like that who make me feel physically sick.

They have been left devastated by this and you are asking them to forgive.............
Get real.
eurogordi Do you really expect the family to forgive this murderer.......... WOULD YOU????? If you would then you are no better than the drunk / drugged driver of the car. It's people like you saying things like that who make me feel physically sick. They have been left devastated by this and you are asking them to forgive............. Get real. nevereverblue

7:28pm Tue 10 Dec 13

Charlie Bucket says...

nevereverblue wrote:
eurogordi

Do you really expect the family to forgive this murderer..........
WOULD YOU?????

If you would then you are no better than the drunk / drugged driver of the car.
It's people like you saying things like that who make me feel physically sick.

They have been left devastated by this and you are asking them to forgive.............

Get real.
What an incredibly ignorant comment. It's not your place to tell someone else whether or not they can forgive someone. A lot of people forgive those who have wronged them because it's the only way they can move on with their lives. You're a disgrace to the human race if you think this makes the victim's family no better than the person that killed their daughter. Utter scumbag.
[quote][p][bold]nevereverblue[/bold] wrote: eurogordi Do you really expect the family to forgive this murderer.......... WOULD YOU????? If you would then you are no better than the drunk / drugged driver of the car. It's people like you saying things like that who make me feel physically sick. They have been left devastated by this and you are asking them to forgive............. Get real.[/p][/quote]What an incredibly ignorant comment. It's not your place to tell someone else whether or not they can forgive someone. A lot of people forgive those who have wronged them because it's the only way they can move on with their lives. You're a disgrace to the human race if you think this makes the victim's family no better than the person that killed their daughter. Utter scumbag. Charlie Bucket

10:51pm Tue 10 Dec 13

Someone_New says...

Charlie Bucket wrote:
nevereverblue wrote:
eurogordi

Do you really expect the family to forgive this murderer..........
WOULD YOU?????

If you would then you are no better than the drunk / drugged driver of the car.
It's people like you saying things like that who make me feel physically sick.

They have been left devastated by this and you are asking them to forgive.............


Get real.
What an incredibly ignorant comment. It's not your place to tell someone else whether or not they can forgive someone. A lot of people forgive those who have wronged them because it's the only way they can move on with their lives. You're a disgrace to the human race if you think this makes the victim's family no better than the person that killed their daughter. Utter scumbag.
Agreed. In fact I'm not sure "nevereverblue" is even posting what (s)he really thinks.

"nevereverblue", if you are genuine, then you must have an incredibly bitter, unrewarding life and you should seek help to modify your approach to your fellow human beings.
[quote][p][bold]Charlie Bucket[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]nevereverblue[/bold] wrote: eurogordi Do you really expect the family to forgive this murderer.......... WOULD YOU????? If you would then you are no better than the drunk / drugged driver of the car. It's people like you saying things like that who make me feel physically sick. They have been left devastated by this and you are asking them to forgive............. Get real.[/p][/quote]What an incredibly ignorant comment. It's not your place to tell someone else whether or not they can forgive someone. A lot of people forgive those who have wronged them because it's the only way they can move on with their lives. You're a disgrace to the human race if you think this makes the victim's family no better than the person that killed their daughter. Utter scumbag.[/p][/quote]Agreed. In fact I'm not sure "nevereverblue" is even posting what (s)he really thinks. "nevereverblue", if you are genuine, then you must have an incredibly bitter, unrewarding life and you should seek help to modify your approach to your fellow human beings. Someone_New

9:46pm Wed 11 Dec 13

nevereverblue says...

Charlie Bucket..............
......

Wind your neck in pal.

My only bitterness is to those that suggest forgiving scum like that will help...............R
OLLOCKS!!

If someone killed my child I would cut them into small pieces........slowly
.

MODIFY THAT
Charlie Bucket.............. ...... Wind your neck in pal. My only bitterness is to those that suggest forgiving scum like that will help...............R OLLOCKS!! If someone killed my child I would cut them into small pieces........slowly . MODIFY THAT nevereverblue

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree