Protest march over BAE shipyard job losses

Daily Echo: BAE Systems in Portsmouth BAE Systems in Portsmouth

A MARCH and rally will be held in Hampshire today to protest at job losses planned by defence giant BAE Systems.

Unions said they expect a big turnout in Portsmouth following last month's announcement that shipbuilding is to end.

More than 900 jobs will be lost, although Portsmouth will retain repairs and maintenance work.

About 830 jobs will also be lost at yards in Govan and Scotstoun, on the River Clyde in Glasgow, at Rosyth in Fife, and at the firm's Filton office, near Bristol, as a result of a drop in work after the end of aircraft carrier work.

Unite national officer Ian Waddell said: ''Portsmouth has a proud 500-year history of shipbuilding. It is a waste and a tragedy that the Government is allowing this legacy to end.

''BAE Systems' workers, their families and the local community are calling on the Government to think again and secure shipbuilding in Portsmouth for another 500 years.

''As the ultimate owner of the Portsmouth dockyards, the Government can generate opportunities to save these valuable shipbuilding jobs and skills.''

Gary Cook, GMB regional officer, said: ''Not only is the coalition government prepared to throw more than 1,000 highly skilled shipbuilders on the scrap heap, many of whom will be destined for a life on benefits, but they are also playing fast and loose with the national security of these British Isles by having no plan B for warship building.

''Regardless of party politics surely any right-minded individual would not put all their eggs in one basket and would see the real value of retaining a capability at Portsmouth.''

Comments (10)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:39pm Sat 14 Dec 13

southy says...

Good luck guys
Good luck guys southy

1:24pm Sat 14 Dec 13

Shoong says...

southy wrote:
Good luck guys
So you're not going to support your brothers then?
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Good luck guys[/p][/quote]So you're not going to support your brothers then? Shoong

2:21pm Sat 14 Dec 13

southy says...

Shoong wrote:
southy wrote:
Good luck guys
So you're not going to support your brothers then?
I don't need to be there to support them, I got other tasks to do.
[quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Good luck guys[/p][/quote]So you're not going to support your brothers then?[/p][/quote]I don't need to be there to support them, I got other tasks to do. southy

2:56pm Sat 14 Dec 13

Shoong says...

southy wrote:
Shoong wrote:
southy wrote:
Good luck guys
So you're not going to support your brothers then?
I don't need to be there to support them, I got other tasks to do.
Because you care so much.

Other tasks?

B******s!
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Good luck guys[/p][/quote]So you're not going to support your brothers then?[/p][/quote]I don't need to be there to support them, I got other tasks to do.[/p][/quote]Because you care so much. Other tasks? B******s! Shoong

2:59pm Sat 14 Dec 13

southy says...

Shoong wrote:
southy wrote:
Shoong wrote:
southy wrote:
Good luck guys
So you're not going to support your brothers then?
I don't need to be there to support them, I got other tasks to do.
Because you care so much.

Other tasks?

B******s!
You just don't know do you, and yes I do have other tasks, and if you ask Nick he will tell you i do have other tasks.
[quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Good luck guys[/p][/quote]So you're not going to support your brothers then?[/p][/quote]I don't need to be there to support them, I got other tasks to do.[/p][/quote]Because you care so much. Other tasks? B******s![/p][/quote]You just don't know do you, and yes I do have other tasks, and if you ask Nick he will tell you i do have other tasks. southy

4:08pm Sat 14 Dec 13

freefinker says...

southy wrote:
Shoong wrote:
southy wrote:
Shoong wrote:
southy wrote:
Good luck guys
So you're not going to support your brothers then?
I don't need to be there to support them, I got other tasks to do.
Because you care so much.

Other tasks?

B******s!
You just don't know do you, and yes I do have other tasks, and if you ask Nick he will tell you i do have other tasks.
.. the real reason is that southy's tiny Trotskyist faction are not welcome at this demo.
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Good luck guys[/p][/quote]So you're not going to support your brothers then?[/p][/quote]I don't need to be there to support them, I got other tasks to do.[/p][/quote]Because you care so much. Other tasks? B******s![/p][/quote]You just don't know do you, and yes I do have other tasks, and if you ask Nick he will tell you i do have other tasks.[/p][/quote].. the real reason is that southy's tiny Trotskyist faction are not welcome at this demo. freefinker

5:36pm Sat 14 Dec 13

Shoong says...

freefinker wrote:
southy wrote:
Shoong wrote:
southy wrote:
Shoong wrote:
southy wrote:
Good luck guys
So you're not going to support your brothers then?
I don't need to be there to support them, I got other tasks to do.
Because you care so much.

Other tasks?

B******s!
You just don't know do you, and yes I do have other tasks, and if you ask Nick he will tell you i do have other tasks.
.. the real reason is that southy's tiny Trotskyist faction are not welcome at this demo.
So I hear.

Everyone's got an embarrassing old uncle in the family I suppose...
[quote][p][bold]freefinker[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Good luck guys[/p][/quote]So you're not going to support your brothers then?[/p][/quote]I don't need to be there to support them, I got other tasks to do.[/p][/quote]Because you care so much. Other tasks? B******s![/p][/quote]You just don't know do you, and yes I do have other tasks, and if you ask Nick he will tell you i do have other tasks.[/p][/quote].. the real reason is that southy's tiny Trotskyist faction are not welcome at this demo.[/p][/quote]So I hear. Everyone's got an embarrassing old uncle in the family I suppose... Shoong

5:41pm Sat 14 Dec 13

Shoong says...

southy wrote:
Shoong wrote:
southy wrote:
Shoong wrote:
southy wrote:
Good luck guys
So you're not going to support your brothers then?
I don't need to be there to support them, I got other tasks to do.
Because you care so much.

Other tasks?

B******s!
You just don't know do you, and yes I do have other tasks, and if you ask Nick he will tell you i do have other tasks.
No, I don't know and neither do you by the looks of it. Unless it's the task of being Nick's foot stool for the night. Much like your taste in ties, you've been kippered up mate.

Why can't you tell us?

And you wonder why no-one believes a word you say.
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Good luck guys[/p][/quote]So you're not going to support your brothers then?[/p][/quote]I don't need to be there to support them, I got other tasks to do.[/p][/quote]Because you care so much. Other tasks? B******s![/p][/quote]You just don't know do you, and yes I do have other tasks, and if you ask Nick he will tell you i do have other tasks.[/p][/quote]No, I don't know and neither do you by the looks of it. Unless it's the task of being Nick's foot stool for the night. Much like your taste in ties, you've been kippered up mate. Why can't you tell us? And you wonder why no-one believes a word you say. Shoong

9:39pm Sat 14 Dec 13

derek james says...

freefinker wrote:
southy wrote:
Shoong wrote:
southy wrote:
Shoong wrote:
southy wrote:
Good luck guys
So you're not going to support your brothers then?
I don't need to be there to support them, I got other tasks to do.
Because you care so much.

Other tasks?

B******s!
You just don't know do you, and yes I do have other tasks, and if you ask Nick he will tell you i do have other tasks.
.. the real reason is that southy's tiny Trotskyist faction are not welcome at this demo.
typical moronic tripe from freefinker, a thousand or so are going to lose their jobs and it's a big chance to score political points.it's in keeping with it's (his or her?) thinking on agw
[quote][p][bold]freefinker[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Good luck guys[/p][/quote]So you're not going to support your brothers then?[/p][/quote]I don't need to be there to support them, I got other tasks to do.[/p][/quote]Because you care so much. Other tasks? B******s![/p][/quote]You just don't know do you, and yes I do have other tasks, and if you ask Nick he will tell you i do have other tasks.[/p][/quote].. the real reason is that southy's tiny Trotskyist faction are not welcome at this demo.[/p][/quote]typical moronic tripe from freefinker, a thousand or so are going to lose their jobs and it's a big chance to score political points.it's in keeping with it's (his or her?) thinking on agw derek james

7:59am Mon 16 Dec 13

stay local says...

derek james wrote:
freefinker wrote:
southy wrote:
Shoong wrote:
southy wrote:
Shoong wrote:
southy wrote:
Good luck guys
So you're not going to support your brothers then?
I don't need to be there to support them, I got other tasks to do.
Because you care so much.

Other tasks?

B******s!
You just don't know do you, and yes I do have other tasks, and if you ask Nick he will tell you i do have other tasks.
.. the real reason is that southy's tiny Trotskyist faction are not welcome at this demo.
typical moronic tripe from freefinker, a thousand or so are going to lose their jobs and it's a big chance to score political points.it's in keeping with it's (his or her?) thinking on agw
No it is more a question of how can Southy protest against the job loses at BAE when the coalition he is part of has the stated aim on no spending on military projects. See stop the war piffle form the TUSC.

His political group should be shouting with success about how they have manage to close down an evil war industry!
[quote][p][bold]derek james[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]freefinker[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Good luck guys[/p][/quote]So you're not going to support your brothers then?[/p][/quote]I don't need to be there to support them, I got other tasks to do.[/p][/quote]Because you care so much. Other tasks? B******s![/p][/quote]You just don't know do you, and yes I do have other tasks, and if you ask Nick he will tell you i do have other tasks.[/p][/quote].. the real reason is that southy's tiny Trotskyist faction are not welcome at this demo.[/p][/quote]typical moronic tripe from freefinker, a thousand or so are going to lose their jobs and it's a big chance to score political points.it's in keeping with it's (his or her?) thinking on agw[/p][/quote]No it is more a question of how can Southy protest against the job loses at BAE when the coalition he is part of has the stated aim on no spending on military projects. See stop the war piffle form the TUSC. His political group should be shouting with success about how they have manage to close down an evil war industry! stay local

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree