Southampton City Council urged to say no to badger cull

Daily Echo: Southampton City Council has been urged to say no to a badger cull Southampton City Council has been urged to say no to a badger cull

CIVIC bosses in Southampton are being urged to say “no” to any plans to cull badgers in Hampshire.

Conservation campaigners at the Sholing Valleys Study Centre has petitioned the city council to adopt a policy against culling, after Hampshire County Council and Eastleigh Borough Council voted to ban it on any council-owned land.

The news comes after the Government announced it has called off its cull in Gloucestershire as not enough animals have been killed to meet its target.

Ministers say culling the animals will curb tuberculosis in cattle, but it has been fiercely opposed by animal rights campaigners including former Queen guitarist Brian May.

The Government’s second pilot cull in Somerset was also called off last month after it also failed to meet its target.

Supported by the Hampshire and Isle of Wight Wildlife Trust (HIWWT), Chris Fry from Sholing Valleys wants council chiefs to adopt a “no cull” stance.

Although there are currently no plans to carry out a cull in Hampshire, he wants councils in the county to provide a united stance against the measure.

While there is no official figure for the badger population in Southampton, it is believed there are several hundred of the animals living in the city, in locations as central as Hum Hole in Bitterne.

He said: “Vaccination is the route to go down, because the scientific evidence has proved that culls do not work. This is to get one voice saying “no” to what has become a political idea, rather than a common sense one.

“If we can get the city council to say no as Hampshire and Eastleigh have done, it brings pressure on the Government and says ‘let’s look at the long term, not the short term’.”

Peter Hutchings from HIWWT said: “The trust fully supports a no culling policy and would urge other landowners in the region, including the Southampton City Council, to follow the same policy.”

Council environment chief Councillor Jacqui Rayment said there were currently no plans to put forward a no-culling policy.

Comments (15)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:41am Sun 15 Dec 13

issacchunt says...

"Vaccination is the route to go down". It does not work, Badgers are extremley unreliable when asked to attend clinics.
"Vaccination is the route to go down". It does not work, Badgers are extremley unreliable when asked to attend clinics. issacchunt

10:38am Sun 15 Dec 13

rogerout says...

The welsh Government has adopted and been operating a Vaccination policy in Wales. Its report last year indicated the successful vaccination of over 1000 badgers within one of its cattle hot spot areas. With no controversy, and at a cost significantly less than the indiscriminate slaughter of healthy badgers being undertaken in the failed NFU culls of SW England.
Many Wildlife Trusts in England now have qualified persons who are undertaking Vaccination of Badgers. It works and is a science based humane way to treat any disease . I would urge any council not yet having settled on a Vaccination policy, to research the availability and effectiveness of Vaccination, as opposed to the slaughter of healthy wildlife by culling.
The welsh Government has adopted and been operating a Vaccination policy in Wales. Its report last year indicated the successful vaccination of over 1000 badgers within one of its cattle hot spot areas. With no controversy, and at a cost significantly less than the indiscriminate slaughter of healthy badgers being undertaken in the failed NFU culls of SW England. Many Wildlife Trusts in England now have qualified persons who are undertaking Vaccination of Badgers. It works and is a science based humane way to treat any disease . I would urge any council not yet having settled on a Vaccination policy, to research the availability and effectiveness of Vaccination, as opposed to the slaughter of healthy wildlife by culling. rogerout

11:04am Sun 15 Dec 13

DCbovivet says...

Vaccination is NOT a lower cost route...........and has no efficacy data to show reduction of TB spread. I am sorry, but I deal with cattle and their owners on a daily basis....it is my life and has been for 27 years. I would love the antis to look me in the eye whilst I describe the devastation caused by badgers imported from a TB hotspot in Devon into a TB clean farm by do-gooders!. This farm had lived with healthy badgers next to its cattle for over 100 years.....yes 100 years. It is an important employer in the village. generations of locals have earned their crust by working on and around the farm. Result? Over 70 cattle (of the 250 on farm at the start) culled due to a strain of TB brought in by the ill conceived badger move. Feeling proud of yourselves do-gooders? I bet you are! REAL story. Real PEOPLE. i AWAIT COMMENTS!
Vaccination is NOT a lower cost route...........and has no efficacy data to show reduction of TB spread. I am sorry, but I deal with cattle and their owners on a daily basis....it is my life and has been for 27 years. I would love the antis to look me in the eye whilst I describe the devastation caused by badgers imported from a TB hotspot in Devon into a TB clean farm by do-gooders!. This farm had lived with healthy badgers next to its cattle for over 100 years.....yes 100 years. It is an important employer in the village. generations of locals have earned their crust by working on and around the farm. Result? Over 70 cattle (of the 250 on farm at the start) culled due to a strain of TB brought in by the ill conceived badger move. Feeling proud of yourselves do-gooders? I bet you are! REAL story. Real PEOPLE. i AWAIT COMMENTS! DCbovivet

11:17am Sun 15 Dec 13

freefinker says...

.. surely, the answer is to get rid of the dairy industry; problem solved.

Why on earth some choose to consume the infant food of a totally different species is beyond me.
.. surely, the answer is to get rid of the dairy industry; problem solved. Why on earth some choose to consume the infant food of a totally different species is beyond me. freefinker

11:30am Sun 15 Dec 13

issacchunt says...

freefinker wrote:
.. surely, the answer is to get rid of the dairy industry; problem solved.

Why on earth some choose to consume the infant food of a totally different species is beyond me.
Because it tastes good, nutritious and full of calcium with no real aternative unless you want something bland like soya milk. Freethinking is often confused with not thinking.
[quote][p][bold]freefinker[/bold] wrote: .. surely, the answer is to get rid of the dairy industry; problem solved. Why on earth some choose to consume the infant food of a totally different species is beyond me.[/p][/quote]Because it tastes good, nutritious and full of calcium with no real aternative unless you want something bland like soya milk. Freethinking is often confused with not thinking. issacchunt

11:56am Sun 15 Dec 13

*ay*carumba* says...

As long have you have rogue farmers breaking the BTB rules the spread will never be stopped by killing wildlife http://www.bovinetb.
co.uk/article.php?ar
ticle_id=110

Also, how many dairy farms are there in Southampton?
As long have you have rogue farmers breaking the BTB rules the spread will never be stopped by killing wildlife http://www.bovinetb. co.uk/article.php?ar ticle_id=110 Also, how many dairy farms are there in Southampton? *ay*carumba*

12:03pm Sun 15 Dec 13

rogerout says...

November 2013
Despite Government attempts to stop bovine TB spreading north, The Northern Echo has learnt that cattle on a farm in the Haswell area of east Durham have tested positive.

The infected animals have been slaughtered and tests are being carried out on cattle at surrounding farms.

Neighbouring farmers last night spoke of their anger that infected cattle had been brought to a region which has previously been regarded as free of the disease in both livestock and wildlife.


One farmer, who asked not to be named, said: “There’s a lot of people unhappy that cattle infected with TB were brought here from a high-risk area.”

We are now talking about a science based eradication of TB in cattle and wildlife-- not slaughter of anything as a result of TB. Either infected cattle. Or as now in the SW of England the indiscriminate slaughter of healthy wildlife. Because no testing is being carried out on killed badgers. So no scientific data is being recorded on how many badgers actually were infected. But killing within badger social groups can further spread TB.
Also much mis information exists about both effective cattle vaccines and improved testing. also on Badger vaccines.
I have clearly in my earlier post indicated the costs of Vaccination in Wales being significantly less than badger Culling in SW England. Defra is planning to introduce Cattle Vaccination trials in 2014 and also improved Diva TB testing. Wales is planning to extend the areas in which it will Vaccinate during 2014. as well as I understand starting Cattle vaccination.
Improved cattle testing and Bio security are all part of a science based plan to humanely eradicate tb. in cattle and wildlife.
it is some of the Politics and the NFU who are guilty of spreading mis information on effectiveness, availability and timescale.
Many Wildlife Trusts now have trained Vaccination volunteers- consult them locally and compare Government quoted costs against more realistic Wildlife trust examples.
November 2013 Despite Government attempts to stop bovine TB spreading north, The Northern Echo has learnt that cattle on a farm in the Haswell area of east Durham have tested positive. The infected animals have been slaughtered and tests are being carried out on cattle at surrounding farms. Neighbouring farmers last night spoke of their anger that infected cattle had been brought to a region which has previously been regarded as free of the disease in both livestock and wildlife. One farmer, who asked not to be named, said: “There’s a lot of people unhappy that cattle infected with TB were brought here from a high-risk area.” We are now talking about a science based eradication of TB in cattle and wildlife-- not slaughter of anything as a result of TB. Either infected cattle. Or as now in the SW of England the indiscriminate slaughter of healthy wildlife. Because no testing is being carried out on killed badgers. So no scientific data is being recorded on how many badgers actually were infected. But killing within badger social groups can further spread TB. Also much mis information exists about both effective cattle vaccines and improved testing. also on Badger vaccines. I have clearly in my earlier post indicated the costs of Vaccination in Wales being significantly less than badger Culling in SW England. Defra is planning to introduce Cattle Vaccination trials in 2014 and also improved Diva TB testing. Wales is planning to extend the areas in which it will Vaccinate during 2014. as well as I understand starting Cattle vaccination. Improved cattle testing and Bio security are all part of a science based plan to humanely eradicate tb. in cattle and wildlife. it is some of the Politics and the NFU who are guilty of spreading mis information on effectiveness, availability and timescale. Many Wildlife Trusts now have trained Vaccination volunteers- consult them locally and compare Government quoted costs against more realistic Wildlife trust examples. rogerout

12:11pm Sun 15 Dec 13

Guevara says...

issacchunt...showing your ignorance about Dairy and its nutrional value is one thing but trying to make it an excuse for the continued slaughter of the innocent is beyond me. They have BTB in MANY other countries globally all of which do not have Badgers..so where is you reasoning for that...its BAD FARM MANAGEMENT. Farmers do not give one iota about the welfare of their cattle, they are money that is all...they get upst when they lose money..the sufferingof the animal is not even of any consideration to them. The facts stated by ALL the scientists is that the culls actually will cause bigger problems...the answer is for the tight fisted farmers to take the path of most resistence to them and vaccinate THEIR cattle..BUT well that would cost them money which they are clearly not willing to fork out!
issacchunt...showing your ignorance about Dairy and its nutrional value is one thing but trying to make it an excuse for the continued slaughter of the innocent is beyond me. They have BTB in MANY other countries globally all of which do not have Badgers..so where is you reasoning for that...its BAD FARM MANAGEMENT. Farmers do not give one iota about the welfare of their cattle, they are money that is all...they get upst when they lose money..the sufferingof the animal is not even of any consideration to them. The facts stated by ALL the scientists is that the culls actually will cause bigger problems...the answer is for the tight fisted farmers to take the path of most resistence to them and vaccinate THEIR cattle..BUT well that would cost them money which they are clearly not willing to fork out! Guevara

12:30pm Sun 15 Dec 13

freefinker says...

issacchunt wrote:
freefinker wrote:
.. surely, the answer is to get rid of the dairy industry; problem solved.

Why on earth some choose to consume the infant food of a totally different species is beyond me.
Because it tastes good, nutritious and full of calcium with no real aternative unless you want something bland like soya milk. Freethinking is often confused with not thinking.
Tastes like sick, is full of saturated fats and the statistics show a positive correlation between higher milk consumption and higher incidence of osteoporosis.
[quote][p][bold]issacchunt[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]freefinker[/bold] wrote: .. surely, the answer is to get rid of the dairy industry; problem solved. Why on earth some choose to consume the infant food of a totally different species is beyond me.[/p][/quote]Because it tastes good, nutritious and full of calcium with no real aternative unless you want something bland like soya milk. Freethinking is often confused with not thinking.[/p][/quote]Tastes like sick, is full of saturated fats and the statistics show a positive correlation between higher milk consumption and higher incidence of osteoporosis. freefinker

1:32pm Sun 15 Dec 13

issacchunt says...

freefinker wrote:
issacchunt wrote:
freefinker wrote:
.. surely, the answer is to get rid of the dairy industry; problem solved.

Why on earth some choose to consume the infant food of a totally different species is beyond me.
Because it tastes good, nutritious and full of calcium with no real aternative unless you want something bland like soya milk. Freethinking is often confused with not thinking.
Tastes like sick, is full of saturated fats and the statistics show a positive correlation between higher milk consumption and higher incidence of osteoporosis.
Try and drink it in date, tastes great. Win win situation, loads of poor quality meat for dog food once the dairy cow is finished with as well.
[quote][p][bold]freefinker[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]issacchunt[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]freefinker[/bold] wrote: .. surely, the answer is to get rid of the dairy industry; problem solved. Why on earth some choose to consume the infant food of a totally different species is beyond me.[/p][/quote]Because it tastes good, nutritious and full of calcium with no real aternative unless you want something bland like soya milk. Freethinking is often confused with not thinking.[/p][/quote]Tastes like sick, is full of saturated fats and the statistics show a positive correlation between higher milk consumption and higher incidence of osteoporosis.[/p][/quote]Try and drink it in date, tastes great. Win win situation, loads of poor quality meat for dog food once the dairy cow is finished with as well. issacchunt

4:31am Mon 16 Dec 13

rabiab says...

Think positive, but also keep your logic intact and know that your car might still break down, your kid might not make the soccer team, you might lose your car keys or stub your toe, but HOW you REACT will make all the difference in the world. Since surviving cancer, Lance Armstrong said, “I now have good days and great days.” You don’t have to survive cancer to feel the same way. Jake Brodbeck
Think positive, but also keep your logic intact and know that your car might still break down, your kid might not make the soccer team, you might lose your car keys or stub your toe, but HOW you REACT will make all the difference in the world. Since surviving cancer, Lance Armstrong said, “I now have good days and great days.” You don’t have to survive cancer to feel the same way. Jake Brodbeck rabiab

4:36am Mon 16 Dec 13

rabiab says...

Think positive, but also keep your logic intact and know that your car might still break down, your kid might not make the soccer team, you might lose your car keys or stub your toe, but HOW you REACT will make all the difference in the world. Since surviving cancer, Lance Armstrong said, “I now have good days and great days.” You don’t have to survive cancer to feel the same way. http://abugfreemindr
eport.com
Think positive, but also keep your logic intact and know that your car might still break down, your kid might not make the soccer team, you might lose your car keys or stub your toe, but HOW you REACT will make all the difference in the world. Since surviving cancer, Lance Armstrong said, “I now have good days and great days.” You don’t have to survive cancer to feel the same way. http://abugfreemindr eport.com rabiab

2:00pm Mon 16 Dec 13

Inform Al says...

I have said this elsewhere before, that it was badgers from a set on my smallhoding in Kent that were my allies in the fight to keep rats from my poultry. My worry would be that we already have a too large rat population and exterminating badgers could make the problem much worse
I have said this elsewhere before, that it was badgers from a set on my smallhoding in Kent that were my allies in the fight to keep rats from my poultry. My worry would be that we already have a too large rat population and exterminating badgers could make the problem much worse Inform Al

8:49pm Mon 16 Dec 13

southamptonadi says...

But the story saya there are NO plans for a cull in hampshire, so whats the point of this story,

But really where would southampton CITY councily really need to cull badgers
But the story saya there are NO plans for a cull in hampshire, so whats the point of this story, But really where would southampton CITY councily really need to cull badgers southamptonadi

9:11am Tue 17 Dec 13

uvox44 says...

From the start of this year, under pressure from the European Commission, the Government has forced farmers to tighten down on biosecurity controls, cattle movements and TB testing. As a result, there has been a steady decline in the rates of TB in cattle compared to the same period in 2012.

​cattle

Comparing the latest Defra figures from September 2012 to September 2013, there has been an overall drop of 5.9 per cent in new TB cases and a 9.5 per cent drop in the number of cattle slaughtered for TB.

Read more: http://www.westernda
ilypress.co.uk/TB-ca
ttle-slaughter-rates
-nearly-10-cent-2012
/story-20315460-deta
il/story.html#ixzz2n
intYMn6
From the start of this year, under pressure from the European Commission, the Government has forced farmers to tighten down on biosecurity controls, cattle movements and TB testing. As a result, there has been a steady decline in the rates of TB in cattle compared to the same period in 2012. ​cattle Comparing the latest Defra figures from September 2012 to September 2013, there has been an overall drop of 5.9 per cent in new TB cases and a 9.5 per cent drop in the number of cattle slaughtered for TB. Read more: http://www.westernda ilypress.co.uk/TB-ca ttle-slaughter-rates -nearly-10-cent-2012 /story-20315460-deta il/story.html#ixzz2n intYMn6 uvox44

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree