12,000 use emergency food banks in south

Daily Echo: A volunteer helping at Winchester food bank. A volunteer helping at Winchester food bank.

MORE than 12,000 people have been forced to use food banks across the south this year, it emerged today.

A total of 9,671 in Hampshire and 2,755 in the Isle of Wight received emergency parcels between April and November.

Across the south-east there was a 60 per cent increase in calls on food banks compared to the same period in 2012.

Demands are expected to increase in the run-up to Christmas as families are pressured to make sure their children have something to look forward to over the festive season.

The figures are in a report, called Hungry Britain, published today by South East England Green MEP Keith Taylor.

It states that 33 per cent of people needed handouts because of delays to their benefits, 19 per cent because of benefit changes and 19 per cent because their income was too low.

With 13 food banks in the county, Hampshire has the most in the south-east.

Mr Taylor recently visited the Southampton Basics Bank, run by Southampton City Mission, which saw a rise of 49 per cent in people relying on them from April to November 2013 compared to the same period last year.

He said: “Food banks are a lifeline to those in need and, sadly, one of Britain’s booming industries. Across the south-east demand for emergency food is soaring while people’s wages stagnate and the cost of living shoots up. “This report reveals a shameful side of the British economy that the Govern-ment is trying to hide. In the sixth largest economy in the world no one should be relying on emergency food handouts at Christmas. It’s a national disgrace.”

Chris Mould, the executive chairman of The Trussell Trust, a charity that aims to empower local communities to combat poverty in the UK and Bulgaria, said: “The level of food poverty in the UK is not acceptable. “The time has come for an official and in-depth inquiry into the causes of food poverty and the consequent rise in the usage of food banks. “As a nation we need to accept that something is wrong and that we need to act now to stop hunger in the UK getting worse.”

The report was released ahead of a debate on food banks due to take place in Parliament this Thursday.

Conservative parliamentary candidate for Itchen Royston Smith said: “This Govern-ment is doing an enormous amount to make sure that people shouldn’t be dependent on foodbanks.

“We know that more people are using them, but the Government is doing everything it can to make sure that work pays and that people hopefully will not have to be reliant on them in the future.

“The Government has given 25 million people a tax cut, and 2.5 million no longer have to pay any tax at all, while caps on fuel costs and taking away green levies will ensure fuel bills aren’t as high as they might be.”

Comments (16)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:06pm Mon 16 Dec 13

sburman says...

I have been short on money when younger. Had two kids with not a lot of money copming in. No Food Banks just all mucked in together to give the kids something at christmas.

I saw a TV.programme not so long ago where a family thought weren't getting enough social becayuse could not buy themselves or their kids the latset gizmos.

I know there are many genuine cases of hardship but I do not believe that there are any more cases then when my wife and I where hard up for a few quid.. What there is is more so called hard up people taking advantage of a charity.
I have been short on money when younger. Had two kids with not a lot of money copming in. No Food Banks just all mucked in together to give the kids something at christmas. I saw a TV.programme not so long ago where a family thought weren't getting enough social becayuse could not buy themselves or their kids the latset gizmos. I know there are many genuine cases of hardship but I do not believe that there are any more cases then when my wife and I where hard up for a few quid.. What there is is more so called hard up people taking advantage of a charity. sburman

2:45pm Mon 16 Dec 13

southy says...

sburman wrote:
I have been short on money when younger. Had two kids with not a lot of money copming in. No Food Banks just all mucked in together to give the kids something at christmas.

I saw a TV.programme not so long ago where a family thought weren't getting enough social becayuse could not buy themselves or their kids the latset gizmos.

I know there are many genuine cases of hardship but I do not believe that there are any more cases then when my wife and I where hard up for a few quid.. What there is is more so called hard up people taking advantage of a charity.
A lot more now than there was in your time and my time, the thing is that it really as been getting worse since the mid 80's the economic and political system is failing the people and its going to get worse un-till we change that system
[quote][p][bold]sburman[/bold] wrote: I have been short on money when younger. Had two kids with not a lot of money copming in. No Food Banks just all mucked in together to give the kids something at christmas. I saw a TV.programme not so long ago where a family thought weren't getting enough social becayuse could not buy themselves or their kids the latset gizmos. I know there are many genuine cases of hardship but I do not believe that there are any more cases then when my wife and I where hard up for a few quid.. What there is is more so called hard up people taking advantage of a charity.[/p][/quote]A lot more now than there was in your time and my time, the thing is that it really as been getting worse since the mid 80's the economic and political system is failing the people and its going to get worse un-till we change that system southy

3:25pm Mon 16 Dec 13

Frank28 says...

400 Food Banks nationwide feeding over 400,000 people, represents a very sad summary for our country in 21st century Britain. Hunger, homelessness and unemployment within the UK should be dealt with before the government throws out next year's Foreign Aid Budget of £12.6 billion to other countries.
400 Food Banks nationwide feeding over 400,000 people, represents a very sad summary for our country in 21st century Britain. Hunger, homelessness and unemployment within the UK should be dealt with before the government throws out next year's Foreign Aid Budget of £12.6 billion to other countries. Frank28

3:46pm Mon 16 Dec 13

Linesman says...

As that nice Mr Cameron said that 'We are all in this together', I wonder which Food Bank he goes to.
As that nice Mr Cameron said that 'We are all in this together', I wonder which Food Bank he goes to. Linesman

4:38pm Mon 16 Dec 13

Lone Ranger. says...

Frank28 wrote:
400 Food Banks nationwide feeding over 400,000 people, represents a very sad summary for our country in 21st century Britain. Hunger, homelessness and unemployment within the UK should be dealt with before the government throws out next year's Foreign Aid Budget of £12.6 billion to other countries.
£27.4m went to China ....... yet they have there own space programme.
The same applies to India.
.
I am all for giving some aid to Countries that need help and support ...... but theses two !!! its a damned disgrace to see our Country with so many homeless, food banks, in fuel poverty and thousands of kids in care this Christmas.
.
One of many drawbacks of having Tories in a Government
[quote][p][bold]Frank28[/bold] wrote: 400 Food Banks nationwide feeding over 400,000 people, represents a very sad summary for our country in 21st century Britain. Hunger, homelessness and unemployment within the UK should be dealt with before the government throws out next year's Foreign Aid Budget of £12.6 billion to other countries.[/p][/quote]£27.4m went to China ....... yet they have there own space programme. The same applies to India. . I am all for giving some aid to Countries that need help and support ...... but theses two !!! its a damned disgrace to see our Country with so many homeless, food banks, in fuel poverty and thousands of kids in care this Christmas. . One of many drawbacks of having Tories in a Government Lone Ranger.

5:41pm Mon 16 Dec 13

Solomon's Boot says...

Ask yourselves how many people genuinely need the food banks, and how many are onto a good thing, freeing up money to spend on other items?
Ask yourselves how many people genuinely need the food banks, and how many are onto a good thing, freeing up money to spend on other items? Solomon's Boot

5:57pm Mon 16 Dec 13

Linesman says...

Solomon's Boot wrote:
Ask yourselves how many people genuinely need the food banks, and how many are onto a good thing, freeing up money to spend on other items?
I assume that you realise that you can't just turn up at a Food Bank and help yourself. To qualify to use the Food Bank you need to be referred by your GP or appropriate agency, and it is NOT an open-ended passport to food.

By the tone of your post, I wonder whether Scrooge's Boot would be a more appropriate name.
[quote][p][bold]Solomon's Boot[/bold] wrote: Ask yourselves how many people genuinely need the food banks, and how many are onto a good thing, freeing up money to spend on other items?[/p][/quote]I assume that you realise that you can't just turn up at a Food Bank and help yourself. To qualify to use the Food Bank you need to be referred by your GP or appropriate agency, and it is NOT an open-ended passport to food. By the tone of your post, I wonder whether Scrooge's Boot would be a more appropriate name. Linesman

8:49pm Mon 16 Dec 13

Huffter says...

Solomon's Boot wrote:
Ask yourselves how many people genuinely need the food banks, and how many are onto a good thing, freeing up money to spend on other items?
I have asked myself... but don't know the answer. Do tell me.
[quote][p][bold]Solomon's Boot[/bold] wrote: Ask yourselves how many people genuinely need the food banks, and how many are onto a good thing, freeing up money to spend on other items?[/p][/quote]I have asked myself... but don't know the answer. Do tell me. Huffter

8:52pm Mon 16 Dec 13

geoff51 says...

Use the food bank and free up more for fags, booze and Sky subs!
Its about time these freeloaders were made to work to eat or given vouchers to exchange for food instead of open cheques to spend on luxuries others cant afford.
These food bank do gooders should try giving cookery lessons on how to feed families on basic foods rather than microwave ready meals and Mc Donalds they seem to exist on now.
Use the food bank and free up more for fags, booze and Sky subs! Its about time these freeloaders were made to work to eat or given vouchers to exchange for food instead of open cheques to spend on luxuries others cant afford. These food bank do gooders should try giving cookery lessons on how to feed families on basic foods rather than microwave ready meals and Mc Donalds they seem to exist on now. geoff51

9:20pm Mon 16 Dec 13

derek james says...

geoff51 wrote:
Use the food bank and free up more for fags, booze and Sky subs!
Its about time these freeloaders were made to work to eat or given vouchers to exchange for food instead of open cheques to spend on luxuries others cant afford.
These food bank do gooders should try giving cookery lessons on how to feed families on basic foods rather than microwave ready meals and Mc Donalds they seem to exist on now.
unfortunately to cook "proper" foods requires a not insignificant amount of gas or electricity which has been rising rather sharply in cost in recent years and is going to even more in future
[quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: Use the food bank and free up more for fags, booze and Sky subs! Its about time these freeloaders were made to work to eat or given vouchers to exchange for food instead of open cheques to spend on luxuries others cant afford. These food bank do gooders should try giving cookery lessons on how to feed families on basic foods rather than microwave ready meals and Mc Donalds they seem to exist on now.[/p][/quote]unfortunately to cook "proper" foods requires a not insignificant amount of gas or electricity which has been rising rather sharply in cost in recent years and is going to even more in future derek james

10:25pm Mon 16 Dec 13

geoff51 says...

derek james wrote:
geoff51 wrote:
Use the food bank and free up more for fags, booze and Sky subs!
Its about time these freeloaders were made to work to eat or given vouchers to exchange for food instead of open cheques to spend on luxuries others cant afford.
These food bank do gooders should try giving cookery lessons on how to feed families on basic foods rather than microwave ready meals and Mc Donalds they seem to exist on now.
unfortunately to cook "proper" foods requires a not insignificant amount of gas or electricity which has been rising rather sharply in cost in recent years and is going to even more in future
Agreed fuel costs are high but what is cheaper? 6 microwave burger in a bun or 6 baps and packet of 6 own label burgers?
I have seen what goes in todays generations trollies, cheap food and premium lager, ready prepared vegetables instead of loose vegetables.
Our parents generation fed on wartime rations far less than what is now available, teach people how to cook for less rather than give them food handouts.
[quote][p][bold]derek james[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: Use the food bank and free up more for fags, booze and Sky subs! Its about time these freeloaders were made to work to eat or given vouchers to exchange for food instead of open cheques to spend on luxuries others cant afford. These food bank do gooders should try giving cookery lessons on how to feed families on basic foods rather than microwave ready meals and Mc Donalds they seem to exist on now.[/p][/quote]unfortunately to cook "proper" foods requires a not insignificant amount of gas or electricity which has been rising rather sharply in cost in recent years and is going to even more in future[/p][/quote]Agreed fuel costs are high but what is cheaper? 6 microwave burger in a bun or 6 baps and packet of 6 own label burgers? I have seen what goes in todays generations trollies, cheap food and premium lager, ready prepared vegetables instead of loose vegetables. Our parents generation fed on wartime rations far less than what is now available, teach people how to cook for less rather than give them food handouts. geoff51

8:34am Tue 17 Dec 13

skeptik says...

In my day! Oh JHC- they come out everytime when I were a lad we enjoyed being poor and hungry and it did us no harm - the good old days. Never see any of them living attempting to live like those good old days.
In my day! Oh JHC- they come out everytime when I were a lad we enjoyed being poor and hungry and it did us no harm - the good old days. Never see any of them living attempting to live like those good old days. skeptik

9:28am Tue 17 Dec 13

Over the Edge says...

Some people really need to understand how foodbanks operate. Food is given out to people in need 3 times a year, not every week, although many foodbanks will not let people go hungry (if they can help) it is NOT just rock up and get handout each week, the people who access foodbanks do so through need and necessity.

A 49% increase in Southampton alone in a 6 month period is damning indictment to this Government policy on Welfare Reform, it is coincidence that the raise in people using just happened to be at the same time as Welfare Reform started in April 2013.

People having to rely on handouts in the UK in 2013 is disgusting whilst billions are being gifted to overseas aid by a Government who would rather help abroad than at home.

As for Royston Smith comments, they're laughable, I know people (mostly mum, dad & children) who are working and are struggling, but get very little help because they're working.
Some people really need to understand how foodbanks operate. Food is given out to people in need 3 times a year, not every week, although many foodbanks will not let people go hungry (if they can help) it is NOT just rock up and get handout each week, the people who access foodbanks do so through need and necessity. A 49% increase in Southampton alone in a 6 month period is damning indictment to this Government policy on Welfare Reform, it is coincidence that the raise in people using just happened to be at the same time as Welfare Reform started in April 2013. People having to rely on handouts in the UK in 2013 is disgusting whilst billions are being gifted to overseas aid by a Government who would rather help abroad than at home. As for Royston Smith comments, they're laughable, I know people (mostly mum, dad & children) who are working and are struggling, but get very little help because they're working. Over the Edge

9:29am Tue 17 Dec 13

Over the Edge says...

A 49% increase in Southampton alone in a 6 month period is damning indictment to this Government policy on Welfare Reform, it is not a coincidence that the raise in people using just happened to be at the same time as Welfare Reform started in April 2013.
A 49% increase in Southampton alone in a 6 month period is damning indictment to this Government policy on Welfare Reform, it is not a coincidence that the raise in people using just happened to be at the same time as Welfare Reform started in April 2013. Over the Edge

11:02am Tue 17 Dec 13

Linesman says...

geoff51 wrote:
derek james wrote:
geoff51 wrote:
Use the food bank and free up more for fags, booze and Sky subs!
Its about time these freeloaders were made to work to eat or given vouchers to exchange for food instead of open cheques to spend on luxuries others cant afford.
These food bank do gooders should try giving cookery lessons on how to feed families on basic foods rather than microwave ready meals and Mc Donalds they seem to exist on now.
unfortunately to cook "proper" foods requires a not insignificant amount of gas or electricity which has been rising rather sharply in cost in recent years and is going to even more in future
Agreed fuel costs are high but what is cheaper? 6 microwave burger in a bun or 6 baps and packet of 6 own label burgers?
I have seen what goes in todays generations trollies, cheap food and premium lager, ready prepared vegetables instead of loose vegetables.
Our parents generation fed on wartime rations far less than what is now available, teach people how to cook for less rather than give them food handouts.
I also remember those times. It was a time of full employment. A Labour government came to power and set about the biggest house-building programme this country has ever experienced. It also created the NHS, and had to resettle all the troops who were being demobbed.

When banks were there to help and bankers were regarded with respect.

Railways, electricity, gas, water etc were all nationalised, so shareholders were not having to be paid, which has since been the case and has contributed to the rise in prices.

It was a time when the saying, "We are all in this together" had a ring of truth about it, but that was not the case when spoken by Dodgy Dave.
[quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]derek james[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: Use the food bank and free up more for fags, booze and Sky subs! Its about time these freeloaders were made to work to eat or given vouchers to exchange for food instead of open cheques to spend on luxuries others cant afford. These food bank do gooders should try giving cookery lessons on how to feed families on basic foods rather than microwave ready meals and Mc Donalds they seem to exist on now.[/p][/quote]unfortunately to cook "proper" foods requires a not insignificant amount of gas or electricity which has been rising rather sharply in cost in recent years and is going to even more in future[/p][/quote]Agreed fuel costs are high but what is cheaper? 6 microwave burger in a bun or 6 baps and packet of 6 own label burgers? I have seen what goes in todays generations trollies, cheap food and premium lager, ready prepared vegetables instead of loose vegetables. Our parents generation fed on wartime rations far less than what is now available, teach people how to cook for less rather than give them food handouts.[/p][/quote]I also remember those times. It was a time of full employment. A Labour government came to power and set about the biggest house-building programme this country has ever experienced. It also created the NHS, and had to resettle all the troops who were being demobbed. When banks were there to help and bankers were regarded with respect. Railways, electricity, gas, water etc were all nationalised, so shareholders were not having to be paid, which has since been the case and has contributed to the rise in prices. It was a time when the saying, "We are all in this together" had a ring of truth about it, but that was not the case when spoken by Dodgy Dave. Linesman

12:55pm Tue 17 Dec 13

Shoong says...

Linesman wrote:
As that nice Mr Cameron said that 'We are all in this together', I wonder which Food Bank he goes to.
Which one do you donate to & do volunteer work at?
[quote][p][bold]Linesman[/bold] wrote: As that nice Mr Cameron said that 'We are all in this together', I wonder which Food Bank he goes to.[/p][/quote]Which one do you donate to & do volunteer work at? Shoong

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree