Woman racially abused on driveway after road rage incident

 A WOMAN was subjected to a tirade of racial abuse on the driveway of her Southampton home.

Police are seeking witnesses to the incident in Janson Road, Shirley, which took place at 4.45pm on Monday.

The 33-year-old was verbally abused following a driving incident a few minutes earlier, officers say. It involved the wing mirror of the car she was driving touching the wing mirror of an oncoming vehicle along Janson Road.

The woman arrived home and got out of her car but was confronted by the man who drove the other vehicle.

Officers say the tone of his comments was based on their different racial backgrounds.

The man drove a dark Volvo or BMW estate, and is described as white, in his mid to late 40s, slim, with short dark hair and around 5ft 10in. He wore a grey jumper and beige trousers.

PC Peter Cruden said: “I want to speak to anyone who was driving in the area at the time who witnessed either the wing mirror contact or the incident between the man and woman in Janson Road.” Anyone with information should call police on 101.

Comments (19)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:54am Fri 20 Dec 13

hulla baloo says...

Word against word then, so easy to play the race card.
Word against word then, so easy to play the race card. hulla baloo

11:11am Fri 20 Dec 13

WILLIAM HAGUES TWIN BROTHER. says...

worse things happen at sea.
worse things happen at sea. WILLIAM HAGUES TWIN BROTHER.

11:15am Fri 20 Dec 13

Dasal says...

Bit over the top reaction, only clipped wing mirrors.
Time to reflect needed..............
.......sorry.
Bit over the top reaction, only clipped wing mirrors. Time to reflect needed.............. .......sorry. Dasal

11:21am Fri 20 Dec 13

PeoplesChoice82 says...

Breaking News - On Friday but it happened on Monday??? Quick off the mark there people!!!!!
Breaking News - On Friday but it happened on Monday??? Quick off the mark there people!!!!! PeoplesChoice82

12:39pm Fri 20 Dec 13

Saint 2701 says...

Breaking news... but does anyone actually care!?!? Boring ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
ZZZZZZZZZZ
Breaking news... but does anyone actually care!?!? Boring ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZ Saint 2701

12:44pm Fri 20 Dec 13

Ginger_cyclist says...

No numberplate?
No numberplate? Ginger_cyclist

1:06pm Fri 20 Dec 13

Dai Rear says...

The woman was obliged to stop and give details of her car's identity and insurance following damage being caused "owing to the presence of her vehicle on the road". Failure to do so carries 6 months imprisonment.
She is entitled to say that the circumstances of the collision were such that it was safer for her to notify police as soon as possible but although it's dark at this time at 4.45 pm it's not the time of day, or location, where bad people are about.So is it just possible that, suspecting she was out of order, she played the race card? the offence-oh thanks Blunkett-could of course have been alleged if the man was a Scottish person of the Celtic race and the woman a Welsh person of the Celtic race, because nulabour couldn't tell the difference between nationality and race. Explains a lot about their open door immigration policy?
The woman was obliged to stop and give details of her car's identity and insurance following damage being caused "owing to the presence of her vehicle on the road". Failure to do so carries 6 months imprisonment. She is entitled to say that the circumstances of the collision were such that it was safer for her to notify police as soon as possible but although it's dark at this time at 4.45 pm it's not the time of day, or location, where bad people are about.So is it just possible that, suspecting she was out of order, she played the race card? the offence-oh thanks Blunkett-could of course have been alleged if the man was a Scottish person of the Celtic race and the woman a Welsh person of the Celtic race, because nulabour couldn't tell the difference between nationality and race. Explains a lot about their open door immigration policy? Dai Rear

1:13pm Fri 20 Dec 13

Dai Rear says...

In fact if you are concerned about stopping following a "driving incident a few minutes earlier," you'd not go home but to the police station or a busy location so the offence of failing to stop may well be more important than all the dreary "rac-ism" stuff.
In fact if you are concerned about stopping following a "driving incident a few minutes earlier," you'd not go home but to the police station or a busy location so the offence of failing to stop may well be more important than all the dreary "rac-ism" stuff. Dai Rear

1:19pm Fri 20 Dec 13

NForester says...

Play the race card and become the victim. Same old same old.
Play the race card and become the victim. Same old same old. NForester

2:02pm Fri 20 Dec 13

Ginger_cyclist says...

If I hit a car on my bike(not likely), I would stop and speak to the driver and see if he would like to exchange details, I am insured for any damage I might cause with no risk of paying any excess or even a higher premium after all but what I'm getting at is, if you're insured, you don't really have an excuse for not stopping unless the other driver gets out and comes at you with a weapon or is so aggressive that you feel it's best to leave the scene. The "road rage" was most likely caused by her not stopping but even so, if he did racially abuse her, then they should both get the book thrown at them, her for failing to stop and him for racism... That's if he really did do such a thing.
If I hit a car on my bike(not likely), I would stop and speak to the driver and see if he would like to exchange details, I am insured for any damage I might cause with no risk of paying any excess or even a higher premium after all but what I'm getting at is, if you're insured, you don't really have an excuse for not stopping unless the other driver gets out and comes at you with a weapon or is so aggressive that you feel it's best to leave the scene. The "road rage" was most likely caused by her not stopping but even so, if he did racially abuse her, then they should both get the book thrown at them, her for failing to stop and him for racism... That's if he really did do such a thing. Ginger_cyclist

2:16pm Fri 20 Dec 13

terrence77 says...

@Dai Rear

I agree with your post she was obliged to stop but she decide to go home and probably ignore that guy. Now I don't think that verbally abusing her was the solution . I can't believe people on here would say she play the race card when she was verbally abused. Yes she fail to stop and commit an offence but do you think that she deserve that maybe her kids were in the car, what would you do if he was your wife or daughter ? Would you say stop playing the race card and move on
@Dai Rear I agree with your post she was obliged to stop but she decide to go home and probably ignore that guy. Now I don't think that verbally abusing her was the solution . I can't believe people on here would say she play the race card when she was verbally abused. Yes she fail to stop and commit an offence but do you think that she deserve that maybe her kids were in the car, what would you do if he was your wife or daughter ? Would you say stop playing the race card and move on terrence77

2:36pm Fri 20 Dec 13

sburman says...

BMW driver eh!, now there's a surprise
BMW driver eh!, now there's a surprise sburman

4:01pm Fri 20 Dec 13

Dai Rear says...

terrence77 wrote:
@Dai Rear

I agree with your post she was obliged to stop but she decide to go home and probably ignore that guy. Now I don't think that verbally abusing her was the solution . I can't believe people on here would say she play the race card when she was verbally abused. Yes she fail to stop and commit an offence but do you think that she deserve that maybe her kids were in the car, what would you do if he was your wife or daughter ? Would you say stop playing the race card and move on
Well I'd wonder when they had had a sex change I suppose. But, apart from that, as I said, I'd head to the cop shop or a busy place if I was worried. As to race cards, as the man said, BMW driver. An insult is only as good as the insulter and it's what I'd expect from drivers of German carp, so I guess I'd "move on"
[quote][p][bold]terrence77[/bold] wrote: @Dai Rear I agree with your post she was obliged to stop but she decide to go home and probably ignore that guy. Now I don't think that verbally abusing her was the solution . I can't believe people on here would say she play the race card when she was verbally abused. Yes she fail to stop and commit an offence but do you think that she deserve that maybe her kids were in the car, what would you do if he was your wife or daughter ? Would you say stop playing the race card and move on[/p][/quote]Well I'd wonder when they had had a sex change I suppose. But, apart from that, as I said, I'd head to the cop shop or a busy place if I was worried. As to race cards, as the man said, BMW driver. An insult is only as good as the insulter and it's what I'd expect from drivers of German carp, so I guess I'd "move on" Dai Rear

7:16pm Fri 20 Dec 13

Georgethepie says...

sburman wrote:
BMW driver eh!, now there's a surprise
It does say Volvo as well but I guess the fact the driver was involved in an some kind of altercation means it just has to be a BMW driver. Honestly what a stereo typical pile of cr*p to come out with.
Back on thread I wonder if PC Cruden has investigated the fact she failed to stop. thus committing a crime I'm guessing probably not through fear of having the racist card thrown at him blocking any chances of making his way up the slippery pole of promotion....

Racism works both ways shame the powers that be don't realise that.
[quote][p][bold]sburman[/bold] wrote: BMW driver eh!, now there's a surprise[/p][/quote]It does say Volvo as well but I guess the fact the driver was involved in an some kind of altercation means it just has to be a BMW driver. Honestly what a stereo typical pile of cr*p to come out with. Back on thread I wonder if PC Cruden has investigated the fact she failed to stop. thus committing a crime I'm guessing probably not through fear of having the racist card thrown at him blocking any chances of making his way up the slippery pole of promotion.... Racism works both ways shame the powers that be don't realise that. Georgethepie

7:49pm Fri 20 Dec 13

Lazy says...

Foreigners....SURPRI
SE SURPRISE !!!
Foreigners....SURPRI SE SURPRISE !!! Lazy

6:57am Sat 21 Dec 13

Rising_Son says...

Lazy wrote:
Foreigners....SURPRI

SE SURPRISE !!!
Why do you assume that foreigners were involved?
[quote][p][bold]Lazy[/bold] wrote: Foreigners....SURPRI SE SURPRISE !!![/p][/quote]Why do you assume that foreigners were involved? Rising_Son

8:12am Sat 21 Dec 13

Facewagon says...

Rising_Son wrote:
Lazy wrote:
Foreigners....SURPRI


SE SURPRISE !!!
Why do you assume that foreigners were involved?
Because he's lazy.
[quote][p][bold]Rising_Son[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lazy[/bold] wrote: Foreigners....SURPRI SE SURPRISE !!![/p][/quote]Why do you assume that foreigners were involved?[/p][/quote]Because he's lazy. Facewagon

11:29pm Sat 21 Dec 13

Inform Al says...

You only have to exchange details if you are aware of the accident. A lot of the women drivers I know use the interior mirror, lipstick etc, but rarely look in the direction of the wing mirrors
You only have to exchange details if you are aware of the accident. A lot of the women drivers I know use the interior mirror, lipstick etc, but rarely look in the direction of the wing mirrors Inform Al

3:38pm Sun 22 Dec 13

thesouth says...

hulla baloo wrote:
Word against word then, so easy to play the race card.
The suspect could be one of the DE readers based on the comments they make on here. Why do people say the 'race card' ? Are you suggesting she's lying / it's ok to be racially abused? Weirdos.
[quote][p][bold]hulla baloo[/bold] wrote: Word against word then, so easy to play the race card.[/p][/quote]The suspect could be one of the DE readers based on the comments they make on here. Why do people say the 'race card' ? Are you suggesting she's lying / it's ok to be racially abused? Weirdos. thesouth

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree