When news happens, text SDE and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
Asbestos link to pensioner's death
2:24pm Monday 30th December 2013 in News
A HAMPSHIRE man died due to a combination of heart disease and asbestos exposure, an inquest heard.
Bert Wells, 81, was exposed to the substance during a four-year stint at Marchwood Power Station, starting in 1957.
A post-mortem found Mr Wells, of Haltons Close, Totton, had asbestos fibres in his lungs but also suffered from heart disease.
Dr Adrian Bateman, pathologist at University Hospital Southampton, said the asbestos was not the primary cause of death but would have increased the strain on his heart.
Mr Wells died at Southampton General Hospital in October.
Coroner Keith Wiseman recorded a verdict of death due to natural causes contributed to by asbestos exposure.
Comments are closed on this article.