When news happens, text SDE and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
Man aged, 31, dies after fight in New Year's Eve in Hythe
Updated 12:22pm Wednesday 1st January 2014 in News
Enable automatic updates every 30 seconds? YES NO
- Police called to house in Hampshire after fight
- Man dies after being taken to Southampton General Hospital
- Police arrest suspect hours later
- Post mortem due to be held later today
Window cleaner Nick Smith said: "I saw two police cars parked in the street last night and noticed that one was still there this morning.
"Sadly I'm not shocked. It's a horrible world that's getting worse all the time.
"This sort of thing can happen anywhere."
A man living near the murder scene said: "Our lounge is at the back of the house and we didn't see or hear anything.
"The first we knew of it was when we looked out this morning and saw a policeman standing outside the property.
"At first I thought there must have been a burglary, then we saw it on the Daily Echo website.
"My reaction is one of absolute shock. It's a terrible start to the new year for the family of the victim. So sad."
Builder Neil Richardson , who lives opposite the murder scene, said: "We got home about one o,clock and didn't notice anything going on."
He added: "We'd seen two or three police cars driving around as we walked back from Hythe but assumed it was something to do with New Year's Eve.
"I'm shocked that someone has been murdered. You see these things on the tv but don't expect it to happen on your own doorstep."
A Hampshire force control room spokesman said detectives were speaking to witnesses and urged anyone with information to come forward.
Detectives from the Hampshire Major Investigation Team are now leading the inquiry, called Operation Redding.
One neighbour said: "I heard something about fighting but I don't know any more than that.
"This is supposed to be a peaceful neighbourhood and to have something like this happen nearby especially on New Year's Eve, is terrible."
The spokeswoman added that paramedics treated a man in his thirties for serious injuries and continued to treat him on route to Shospital.
Paramedics then battled to save the man's life as they rushed him to Southampton General Hospital.
A spokeswoman for South Central Ambulance Service said paramedics were called to the address by police at 9.07pm yesterday.
A post mortem was due to be carried out later today by a Home Office pathologist.
The name of the victim was not being realsed and no details revealed of the type of injuries he suffered.
A Hampshire police spokesman said: “The next-of-kin of the victim have been notified but there are still some close family members to be informed, and we won't be in a position to release further detail of the deceased man until we have spoken to them.”
A police spokesman said although some next of kin have been informed not all the victim's family had been told.
The man is due to be questioned by officers investigating the death this morning.
He was detained on suspicion of murder and is being held at a Hampshire police station.
A 31-year-old man was arrested at an address in the town at 2.25am.
Police say that a man was arrested in Totton in the early hours of this morning.
The victim was pronounced dead at 10.20pm.
A police car was this morning stationed at the junction of the street.
South Central Ambulance were alerted and took the victim to Southampton General Hospital.
Officers say they found a 31-year-old man who had suffered serious injuries.
A police spokesman said officers were called to an address in Langdown Road, in Hythe, following reports of an “altercation” inside the property at around 9pm last night.
He had suffered injuries in a New year's Eve fight at a house in Hythe.
The inquiry was launched after the 31-year-old died at Southampton General Hospital.
Police have today launched a murder probe following the death of a man in Hampshire.
Comments are closed on this article.