Pupils at St Mark's School in Southampton speak 42 languages between them

Daily Echo: St Mark's School, Shirley, Southampton St Mark's School, Shirley, Southampton

It could be one of the most multicultural schools in the country.

Pupils at St Mark’s School, Shirley, Southampton, think so – with an incredible 42 languages spoken between them.

The diverse and vibrant primary school is to be cast into the spotlight tonight in a BBC documentary about the extent of immigration in Britain’s towns and cities. It will feature in the Truth About Immigration presented by political editor Nick Robinson.

The documentary is being aired days after Britain opened its borders to Romanian and Bulgarian nationals.

Just one in four pupils at the 500-strong Stafford Road school is white British, with Polish among the lion’s share of languages spoken. Other languages spoken include Spanish, Dutch, Latvian, Portuguese and even Zulu.

Head teacher Anne Steele-Arnett said: “I’m very proud to be head of an international school. The challenges are enormous for pupils and staff but the children work so hard and we work very closely with the families.”

Southampton City Council figures show that half of pupils at St Mark’s do not have English as a first language, compared with the 15.9 per cent nationally. Nearly a third speak Polish as their first language.

The city has witnessed a huge influx of immigrants from Eastern Europe following Poland and seven other countries joining the EU in 2004.

The then-Labour Government predicted around 13,000 people would migrate to Britain, but more than ten times that number arrived – including one million Poles.

The programme follows Nick as he discovers the school’s vibrant community but shows how the language barriers can sometimes lead to challenges for teachers.

Southampton City Council cabinet minister for change, Daniel Jeffrey, said: “Clearly we have seen a big social transformation in Southampton and it is reflected in schools like St Mark’s.

“The school is showing how integration can work well and bring them into the Southampton family, and to have television coverage of this is a good thing.”

But he agreed there are challenges and the council has a “robust” plan in place to deal with the increases in population.

The programme will be screened on BBC2 at 9.30pm.

Comments (25)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:21am Tue 7 Jan 14

The_Fuzz22 says...

> in b4 racist comments
> in b4 racist comments The_Fuzz22

11:28am Tue 7 Jan 14

saintinpattaya says...

Thankfully I am now an immigrant in a foreign country. To escape. At the right time as well. As much as I'm for multicultural countries there is a part of me that thinks it gone too far. But big business must have it's cheap labour so it will continue under the capitalist system until the far right get their way. So sad.
Thankfully I am now an immigrant in a foreign country. To escape. At the right time as well. As much as I'm for multicultural countries there is a part of me that thinks it gone too far. But big business must have it's cheap labour so it will continue under the capitalist system until the far right get their way. So sad. saintinpattaya

11:49am Tue 7 Jan 14

Ciaran says...

saintinpattaya wrote:
Thankfully I am now an immigrant in a foreign country. To escape. At the right time as well. As much as I'm for multicultural countries there is a part of me that thinks it gone too far. But big business must have it's cheap labour so it will continue under the capitalist system until the far right get their way. So sad.
Then why don't you return to Britain and stop being a hypocrite?

Why should people in Thailand have to put up with the likes of you, if you are unwilling to put up with foreigners yourself?
[quote][p][bold]saintinpattaya[/bold] wrote: Thankfully I am now an immigrant in a foreign country. To escape. At the right time as well. As much as I'm for multicultural countries there is a part of me that thinks it gone too far. But big business must have it's cheap labour so it will continue under the capitalist system until the far right get their way. So sad.[/p][/quote]Then why don't you return to Britain and stop being a hypocrite? Why should people in Thailand have to put up with the likes of you, if you are unwilling to put up with foreigners yourself? Ciaran

12:03pm Tue 7 Jan 14

micromark says...

This is nothing to be proud of.
This is nothing to be proud of. micromark

12:52pm Tue 7 Jan 14

townieboy says...

Is ENGLISH the 40th one ?
Is ENGLISH the 40th one ? townieboy

1:03pm Tue 7 Jan 14

Dusty says...

Vibrant? Hardly
Vibrant? Hardly Dusty

2:21pm Tue 7 Jan 14

helenjones1973 says...

I attended this school in the late 70's and early 80's and it was already fairly multicultural back in those days.
Sadly though I do think our identity as a nation is being lost and this just reiterates the sad fact. Whilst I embrace a multicultural society, I find articles like this quite difficult to swallow and think the balance has been somewhat overtipped. There should never be a situation where British pupils are outnumbered in their own educational establishments.

Having said that, we are not really in a position to be critical of the level of immigration when so many parts of the world are now home to ex pats. Cyprus, Spain, Turkey, Bulgaria... all cheap places to buy a home and set up a business in the sun for those who can afford it but what do the locals think of our fellow countrymen??
I attended this school in the late 70's and early 80's and it was already fairly multicultural back in those days. Sadly though I do think our identity as a nation is being lost and this just reiterates the sad fact. Whilst I embrace a multicultural society, I find articles like this quite difficult to swallow and think the balance has been somewhat overtipped. There should never be a situation where British pupils are outnumbered in their own educational establishments. Having said that, we are not really in a position to be critical of the level of immigration when so many parts of the world are now home to ex pats. Cyprus, Spain, Turkey, Bulgaria... all cheap places to buy a home and set up a business in the sun for those who can afford it but what do the locals think of our fellow countrymen?? helenjones1973

4:24pm Tue 7 Jan 14

sotonboy84 says...

Quote "Head teacher Anne Steele-Arnett said: “I’m very proud to be head of an international school. The challenges are enormous for pupils and staff but the children work so hard and we work very closely with the families.”

How is this beneficial to any of the students if the challenges are enormous? Surely the impact is a lower standard of education which benefits nobody as a large amount of time is taken teaching basic English and communication. The school is only 'international' in the number of pupils it has from different cultures but to be an international school of any benefit, it needs to have the facilities to teach all these cultures to the same standard that a school might teach its pupils where they all speak one language.
Quote "Head teacher Anne Steele-Arnett said: “I’m very proud to be head of an international school. The challenges are enormous for pupils and staff but the children work so hard and we work very closely with the families.” How is this beneficial to any of the students if the challenges are enormous? Surely the impact is a lower standard of education which benefits nobody as a large amount of time is taken teaching basic English and communication. The school is only 'international' in the number of pupils it has from different cultures but to be an international school of any benefit, it needs to have the facilities to teach all these cultures to the same standard that a school might teach its pupils where they all speak one language. sotonboy84

4:40pm Tue 7 Jan 14

bigfella777 says...

sotonboy84 wrote:
Quote "Head teacher Anne Steele-Arnett said: “I’m very proud to be head of an international school. The challenges are enormous for pupils and staff but the children work so hard and we work very closely with the families.”

How is this beneficial to any of the students if the challenges are enormous? Surely the impact is a lower standard of education which benefits nobody as a large amount of time is taken teaching basic English and communication. The school is only 'international' in the number of pupils it has from different cultures but to be an international school of any benefit, it needs to have the facilities to teach all these cultures to the same standard that a school might teach its pupils where they all speak one language.
It doesn't make any difference if the standard of education is poor or not because all the migrants children will get offered jobs before all the English kids anyway.
[quote][p][bold]sotonboy84[/bold] wrote: Quote "Head teacher Anne Steele-Arnett said: “I’m very proud to be head of an international school. The challenges are enormous for pupils and staff but the children work so hard and we work very closely with the families.” How is this beneficial to any of the students if the challenges are enormous? Surely the impact is a lower standard of education which benefits nobody as a large amount of time is taken teaching basic English and communication. The school is only 'international' in the number of pupils it has from different cultures but to be an international school of any benefit, it needs to have the facilities to teach all these cultures to the same standard that a school might teach its pupils where they all speak one language.[/p][/quote]It doesn't make any difference if the standard of education is poor or not because all the migrants children will get offered jobs before all the English kids anyway. bigfella777

5:33pm Tue 7 Jan 14

Georgethepie says...

And I wonder how much extra it costs the tax payer to support these children in order to make sure they dont fall back in there education. I'm willing to bet the school are paying for many more support staff now than say they would have been 10 years ago.
And the Clegg and co still believe the mass migration into Britain isn't a problem
And I wonder how much extra it costs the tax payer to support these children in order to make sure they dont fall back in there education. I'm willing to bet the school are paying for many more support staff now than say they would have been 10 years ago. And the Clegg and co still believe the mass migration into Britain isn't a problem Georgethepie

5:38pm Tue 7 Jan 14

Georgethepie says...

helenjones1973 wrote:
I attended this school in the late 70's and early 80's and it was already fairly multicultural back in those days.
Sadly though I do think our identity as a nation is being lost and this just reiterates the sad fact. Whilst I embrace a multicultural society, I find articles like this quite difficult to swallow and think the balance has been somewhat overtipped. There should never be a situation where British pupils are outnumbered in their own educational establishments.

Having said that, we are not really in a position to be critical of the level of immigration when so many parts of the world are now home to ex pats. Cyprus, Spain, Turkey, Bulgaria... all cheap places to buy a home and set up a business in the sun for those who can afford it but what do the locals think of our fellow countrymen??
Cyprus cheap!!!! Is was less than 10 years ago that if you wanted to own or start a business in Cyprus 51% had to be owned by a Cypriot and I'm will to bet not much has changed despite what the goverment say.
[quote][p][bold]helenjones1973[/bold] wrote: I attended this school in the late 70's and early 80's and it was already fairly multicultural back in those days. Sadly though I do think our identity as a nation is being lost and this just reiterates the sad fact. Whilst I embrace a multicultural society, I find articles like this quite difficult to swallow and think the balance has been somewhat overtipped. There should never be a situation where British pupils are outnumbered in their own educational establishments. Having said that, we are not really in a position to be critical of the level of immigration when so many parts of the world are now home to ex pats. Cyprus, Spain, Turkey, Bulgaria... all cheap places to buy a home and set up a business in the sun for those who can afford it but what do the locals think of our fellow countrymen??[/p][/quote]Cyprus cheap!!!! Is was less than 10 years ago that if you wanted to own or start a business in Cyprus 51% had to be owned by a Cypriot and I'm will to bet not much has changed despite what the goverment say. Georgethepie

6:20pm Tue 7 Jan 14

RICK ALLANACH. says...

Georgethepie wrote:
And I wonder how much extra it costs the tax payer to support these children in order to make sure they dont fall back in there education. I'm willing to bet the school are paying for many more support staff now than say they would have been 10 years ago.
And the Clegg and co still believe the mass migration into Britain isn't a problem
I clicked the wrong vote button. I actually agree with you, sorry :(
[quote][p][bold]Georgethepie[/bold] wrote: And I wonder how much extra it costs the tax payer to support these children in order to make sure they dont fall back in there education. I'm willing to bet the school are paying for many more support staff now than say they would have been 10 years ago. And the Clegg and co still believe the mass migration into Britain isn't a problem[/p][/quote]I clicked the wrong vote button. I actually agree with you, sorry :( RICK ALLANACH.

6:22pm Tue 7 Jan 14

RICK ALLANACH. says...

sotonboy84 wrote:
Quote "Head teacher Anne Steele-Arnett said: “I’m very proud to be head of an international school. The challenges are enormous for pupils and staff but the children work so hard and we work very closely with the families.”

How is this beneficial to any of the students if the challenges are enormous? Surely the impact is a lower standard of education which benefits nobody as a large amount of time is taken teaching basic English and communication. The school is only 'international' in the number of pupils it has from different cultures but to be an international school of any benefit, it needs to have the facilities to teach all these cultures to the same standard that a school might teach its pupils where they all speak one language.
OOOOOOOOOOOOOO I wonder if it's funded internationally?????
??
[quote][p][bold]sotonboy84[/bold] wrote: Quote "Head teacher Anne Steele-Arnett said: “I’m very proud to be head of an international school. The challenges are enormous for pupils and staff but the children work so hard and we work very closely with the families.” How is this beneficial to any of the students if the challenges are enormous? Surely the impact is a lower standard of education which benefits nobody as a large amount of time is taken teaching basic English and communication. The school is only 'international' in the number of pupils it has from different cultures but to be an international school of any benefit, it needs to have the facilities to teach all these cultures to the same standard that a school might teach its pupils where they all speak one language.[/p][/quote]OOOOOOOOOOOOOO I wonder if it's funded internationally????? ?? RICK ALLANACH.

6:28pm Tue 7 Jan 14

RICK ALLANACH. says...

Looking at the education league tables, it looks like there is room for improvement. If I was a parent, i would be gravely concerned at the level of education my child got. This isn't about race, it's about being able to cope with sheer numbers, without any adverse impact on the tax payer or education of the child.
We also want high achievers. We are dropping down the international league tables for maths and English in the world. That is not surprising when you see this.
http://www.education
.gov.uk/cgi-bin/scho
ols/performance/scho
ol.pl?urn=116342
Looking at the education league tables, it looks like there is room for improvement. If I was a parent, i would be gravely concerned at the level of education my child got. This isn't about race, it's about being able to cope with sheer numbers, without any adverse impact on the tax payer or education of the child. We also want high achievers. We are dropping down the international league tables for maths and English in the world. That is not surprising when you see this. http://www.education .gov.uk/cgi-bin/scho ols/performance/scho ol.pl?urn=116342 RICK ALLANACH.

9:13pm Tue 7 Jan 14

Norwegian Saint says...

I left Britian for a better life and came to one of the greatest countries on the planet. Immigration was a small reason for me leaving but not the biggest, I didnt want my kids growing up in a society where people carry knives and have the smallest respect for each other. People think unemployment for the young is bad now... just wait a few years, it will get worse and crime will rise. I do not worry leaving the door open here... unless a moose decides to wonder in!
I am not a racist, ok, maybe slightly towards Muslims as I still find some of them hard to trust (just being honest) but the immigration has become too much on a small island. I don't blame the immigrants, if I was working for £1 a day and got 6 doing the same job and free healthcare I'd be gone like a shot.
Blair killed "great" Britain. He signed the papers, he made the country the mess it's in and he went to war on a lie (where a friend of mine lost his life).
I have learnt to adapt to my new countries rules and speak the language (badly) and that what should be asked of people arriving in Blighty. I always said those that come to Britain should speak English so I can't be a hypocrite and not do the same here.
Europe, in fact most of the world, do laugh at Britain... sorry, but it's the truth, I'm embarrassed too. The once great ruler of the waves has finally become a joke.
I do miss some things... Bisto, sausages, cheeses, getting to see Saints live but not much else. I might be paying ten or twelve pounds a pint here and the smallest new car (smart car) is over £19000 but I've never saved so much. The economy is safe, crime is very low, the northern lights are beautiful, the fjords and mountains... and finally...the women... Gud, jeg elsker Norge!
I left Britian for a better life and came to one of the greatest countries on the planet. Immigration was a small reason for me leaving but not the biggest, I didnt want my kids growing up in a society where people carry knives and have the smallest respect for each other. People think unemployment for the young is bad now... just wait a few years, it will get worse and crime will rise. I do not worry leaving the door open here... unless a moose decides to wonder in! I am not a racist, ok, maybe slightly towards Muslims as I still find some of them hard to trust (just being honest) but the immigration has become too much on a small island. I don't blame the immigrants, if I was working for £1 a day and got 6 doing the same job and free healthcare I'd be gone like a shot. Blair killed "great" Britain. He signed the papers, he made the country the mess it's in and he went to war on a lie (where a friend of mine lost his life). I have learnt to adapt to my new countries rules and speak the language (badly) and that what should be asked of people arriving in Blighty. I always said those that come to Britain should speak English so I can't be a hypocrite and not do the same here. Europe, in fact most of the world, do laugh at Britain... sorry, but it's the truth, I'm embarrassed too. The once great ruler of the waves has finally become a joke. I do miss some things... Bisto, sausages, cheeses, getting to see Saints live but not much else. I might be paying ten or twelve pounds a pint here and the smallest new car (smart car) is over £19000 but I've never saved so much. The economy is safe, crime is very low, the northern lights are beautiful, the fjords and mountains... and finally...the women... Gud, jeg elsker Norge! Norwegian Saint

10:31pm Tue 7 Jan 14

Norwegian Saint says...

Just watched most of the show... The problem is not the fact of the immigration that want to integrate and work... it's the ones that go in and straight onto the system taking a tax payers earnings.... hence draining the system.
Just watched most of the show... The problem is not the fact of the immigration that want to integrate and work... it's the ones that go in and straight onto the system taking a tax payers earnings.... hence draining the system. Norwegian Saint

10:35pm Tue 7 Jan 14

SFC-Matt says...

Norwegian Saint wrote:
I left Britian for a better life and came to one of the greatest countries on the planet. Immigration was a small reason for me leaving but not the biggest, I didnt want my kids growing up in a society where people carry knives and have the smallest respect for each other. People think unemployment for the young is bad now... just wait a few years, it will get worse and crime will rise. I do not worry leaving the door open here... unless a moose decides to wonder in! I am not a racist, ok, maybe slightly towards Muslims as I still find some of them hard to trust (just being honest) but the immigration has become too much on a small island. I don't blame the immigrants, if I was working for £1 a day and got 6 doing the same job and free healthcare I'd be gone like a shot. Blair killed "great" Britain. He signed the papers, he made the country the mess it's in and he went to war on a lie (where a friend of mine lost his life). I have learnt to adapt to my new countries rules and speak the language (badly) and that what should be asked of people arriving in Blighty. I always said those that come to Britain should speak English so I can't be a hypocrite and not do the same here. Europe, in fact most of the world, do laugh at Britain... sorry, but it's the truth, I'm embarrassed too. The once great ruler of the waves has finally become a joke. I do miss some things... Bisto, sausages, cheeses, getting to see Saints live but not much else. I might be paying ten or twelve pounds a pint here and the smallest new car (smart car) is over £19000 but I've never saved so much. The economy is safe, crime is very low, the northern lights are beautiful, the fjords and mountains... and finally...the women... Gud, jeg elsker Norge!
I agree. The best country in the world.
"Great" Britain could learn a lot from Norway but alas, it is too late.
[quote][p][bold]Norwegian Saint[/bold] wrote: I left Britian for a better life and came to one of the greatest countries on the planet. Immigration was a small reason for me leaving but not the biggest, I didnt want my kids growing up in a society where people carry knives and have the smallest respect for each other. People think unemployment for the young is bad now... just wait a few years, it will get worse and crime will rise. I do not worry leaving the door open here... unless a moose decides to wonder in! I am not a racist, ok, maybe slightly towards Muslims as I still find some of them hard to trust (just being honest) but the immigration has become too much on a small island. I don't blame the immigrants, if I was working for £1 a day and got 6 doing the same job and free healthcare I'd be gone like a shot. Blair killed "great" Britain. He signed the papers, he made the country the mess it's in and he went to war on a lie (where a friend of mine lost his life). I have learnt to adapt to my new countries rules and speak the language (badly) and that what should be asked of people arriving in Blighty. I always said those that come to Britain should speak English so I can't be a hypocrite and not do the same here. Europe, in fact most of the world, do laugh at Britain... sorry, but it's the truth, I'm embarrassed too. The once great ruler of the waves has finally become a joke. I do miss some things... Bisto, sausages, cheeses, getting to see Saints live but not much else. I might be paying ten or twelve pounds a pint here and the smallest new car (smart car) is over £19000 but I've never saved so much. The economy is safe, crime is very low, the northern lights are beautiful, the fjords and mountains... and finally...the women... Gud, jeg elsker Norge![/p][/quote]I agree. The best country in the world. "Great" Britain could learn a lot from Norway but alas, it is too late. SFC-Matt

10:43pm Tue 7 Jan 14

Norwegian Saint says...

RICK ALLANACH. wrote:
Georgethepie wrote:
And I wonder how much extra it costs the tax payer to support these children in order to make sure they dont fall back in there education. I'm willing to bet the school are paying for many more support staff now than say they would have been 10 years ago.
And the Clegg and co still believe the mass migration into Britain isn't a problem
I clicked the wrong vote button. I actually agree with you, sorry :(
I clicked the agree button for you :-)
[quote][p][bold]RICK ALLANACH.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Georgethepie[/bold] wrote: And I wonder how much extra it costs the tax payer to support these children in order to make sure they dont fall back in there education. I'm willing to bet the school are paying for many more support staff now than say they would have been 10 years ago. And the Clegg and co still believe the mass migration into Britain isn't a problem[/p][/quote]I clicked the wrong vote button. I actually agree with you, sorry :([/p][/quote]I clicked the agree button for you :-) Norwegian Saint

10:55pm Tue 7 Jan 14

sass says...

Georgethepie wrote:
And I wonder how much extra it costs the tax payer to support these children in order to make sure they dont fall back in there education. I'm willing to bet the school are paying for many more support staff now than say they would have been 10 years ago. And the Clegg and co still believe the mass migration into Britain isn't a problem
"don't fall back in there (sic) education" It takes a Brit to screw up the English language! Immigrant children soak upthe language like a sponge.
[quote][p][bold]Georgethepie[/bold] wrote: And I wonder how much extra it costs the tax payer to support these children in order to make sure they dont fall back in there education. I'm willing to bet the school are paying for many more support staff now than say they would have been 10 years ago. And the Clegg and co still believe the mass migration into Britain isn't a problem[/p][/quote]"don't fall back in there (sic) education" It takes a Brit to screw up the English language! Immigrant children soak upthe language like a sponge. sass

3:04am Wed 8 Jan 14

Georgethepie says...

sass wrote:
Georgethepie wrote:
And I wonder how much extra it costs the tax payer to support these children in order to make sure they dont fall back in there education. I'm willing to bet the school are paying for many more support staff now than say they would have been 10 years ago. And the Clegg and co still believe the mass migration into Britain isn't a problem
"don't fall back in there (sic) education" It takes a Brit to screw up the English language! Immigrant children soak upthe language like a sponge.
Oh I'm sorry my English isn't up to the high standard you require. And how come you know so much about immigrant children. If immigrant children are as bright as you claim why are so many growing up and coming over to the uk in order to wash cars. Would it be due to the fact the education process let them down back in Poland or some other eastern block country or was it because they had 40 differant languages being spoken back home aswell.
If you don't like my comments bad luck but keep the insults to yourself please
Moron!!!
[quote][p][bold]sass[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Georgethepie[/bold] wrote: And I wonder how much extra it costs the tax payer to support these children in order to make sure they dont fall back in there education. I'm willing to bet the school are paying for many more support staff now than say they would have been 10 years ago. And the Clegg and co still believe the mass migration into Britain isn't a problem[/p][/quote]"don't fall back in there (sic) education" It takes a Brit to screw up the English language! Immigrant children soak upthe language like a sponge.[/p][/quote]Oh I'm sorry my English isn't up to the high standard you require. And how come you know so much about immigrant children. If immigrant children are as bright as you claim why are so many growing up and coming over to the uk in order to wash cars. Would it be due to the fact the education process let them down back in Poland or some other eastern block country or was it because they had 40 differant languages being spoken back home aswell. If you don't like my comments bad luck but keep the insults to yourself please Moron!!! Georgethepie

3:09am Wed 8 Jan 14

Georgethepie says...

Georgethepie wrote:
sass wrote:
Georgethepie wrote:
And I wonder how much extra it costs the tax payer to support these children in order to make sure they dont fall back in there education. I'm willing to bet the school are paying for many more support staff now than say they would have been 10 years ago. And the Clegg and co still believe the mass migration into Britain isn't a problem
"don't fall back in there (sic) education" It takes a Brit to screw up the English language! Immigrant children soak upthe language like a sponge.
Oh I'm sorry my English isn't up to the high standard you require. And how come you know so much about immigrant children. If immigrant children are as bright as you claim why are so many growing up and coming over to the uk in order to wash cars. Would it be due to the fact the education process let them down back in Poland or some other eastern block country or was it because they had 40 differant languages being spoken back home aswell.
If you don't like my comments bad luck but keep the insults to yourself please
Moron!!!
Immigrant children and the parents are a burden on the state. This country will ended paying the price for letting in so many migrants in. Now that's a fact
[quote][p][bold]Georgethepie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sass[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Georgethepie[/bold] wrote: And I wonder how much extra it costs the tax payer to support these children in order to make sure they dont fall back in there education. I'm willing to bet the school are paying for many more support staff now than say they would have been 10 years ago. And the Clegg and co still believe the mass migration into Britain isn't a problem[/p][/quote]"don't fall back in there (sic) education" It takes a Brit to screw up the English language! Immigrant children soak upthe language like a sponge.[/p][/quote]Oh I'm sorry my English isn't up to the high standard you require. And how come you know so much about immigrant children. If immigrant children are as bright as you claim why are so many growing up and coming over to the uk in order to wash cars. Would it be due to the fact the education process let them down back in Poland or some other eastern block country or was it because they had 40 differant languages being spoken back home aswell. If you don't like my comments bad luck but keep the insults to yourself please Moron!!![/p][/quote]Immigrant children and the parents are a burden on the state. This country will ended paying the price for letting in so many migrants in. Now that's a fact Georgethepie

4:50am Wed 8 Jan 14

saintinpattaya says...

Ciaran wrote:
saintinpattaya wrote:
Thankfully I am now an immigrant in a foreign country. To escape. At the right time as well. As much as I'm for multicultural countries there is a part of me that thinks it gone too far. But big business must have it's cheap labour so it will continue under the capitalist system until the far right get their way. So sad.
Then why don't you return to Britain and stop being a hypocrite?

Why should people in Thailand have to put up with the likes of you, if you are unwilling to put up with foreigners yourself?
You're not quite understanding the point are you?
[quote][p][bold]Ciaran[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]saintinpattaya[/bold] wrote: Thankfully I am now an immigrant in a foreign country. To escape. At the right time as well. As much as I'm for multicultural countries there is a part of me that thinks it gone too far. But big business must have it's cheap labour so it will continue under the capitalist system until the far right get their way. So sad.[/p][/quote]Then why don't you return to Britain and stop being a hypocrite? Why should people in Thailand have to put up with the likes of you, if you are unwilling to put up with foreigners yourself?[/p][/quote]You're not quite understanding the point are you? saintinpattaya

5:58am Wed 8 Jan 14

Over'ere says...

While you are banging on about immigrants, I am one. Left England when Blair got in as couple see the writing on the wall. I live in a terrific country and speak enough if the language to get by (sometimes not) and really want to be able to live the rest of my life here. It isn't just the immigrants that are ruining England, politicians, nanny state rules, and English who are still getting state benefit after years and years (but moan about immigrants taking jobs) are mostly to blame,
Now the UK have stated that British ex-pats are to be treated as immigrants if they have to return home...... getting less help than a foreigner. What sort of country is that?
While you are banging on about immigrants, I am one. Left England when Blair got in as couple see the writing on the wall. I live in a terrific country and speak enough if the language to get by (sometimes not) and really want to be able to live the rest of my life here. It isn't just the immigrants that are ruining England, politicians, nanny state rules, and English who are still getting state benefit after years and years (but moan about immigrants taking jobs) are mostly to blame, Now the UK have stated that British ex-pats are to be treated as immigrants if they have to return home...... getting less help than a foreigner. What sort of country is that? Over'ere

9:43am Wed 8 Jan 14

Lolly* says...

Its nothing against the people who migrate over here. At the end of the day, they only come over here to better their lives and the lives of their families however, its the lack of faith every Brit has in our system that angers the majority of us. But then, why should we put our faith in a system where British citizens aren't a priority.. Why have we opened the doors to Romanians and Bulgarians when there have been stories of them loving the fact they will come over and beg, steal and rape? I live in Shirley and its hard to spot a Brit amongst the mitts of the poles and every other nationality known to man.. Its so frustrating when you see how cost of living is going up, yet pay rises are not. More and more people come over here to sponge off of our system and they will openly admit it.. Yet the people with the huge pay packets and the people who get to spend their days going to charity events and living a life of luxury get to make the decision on how we, the people who actually live in the real world, have to live. The government are an absolute joke... It gets me so worked up when I read stories like this, or stories about people on DSS that don't ever bother to even begin to think about getting a bloody job. When you work full time for a crap wage that hasn't gone up in over 4 years, you struggle to get on the property ladder with out having a family member die and leave you inheritance because they pay is so shocking you can't afford to save, when there are no parking spaces all over the city and now the council are going to start charging for parking in the city at night, when you live in Shirley and you feel un easy about walking past the all of the polish shops with the men just staring at you, where you cant get a seat on the but because its full of many school kids who cant even speak English... Great Britain.. your a f*cking joke.
Its nothing against the people who migrate over here. At the end of the day, they only come over here to better their lives and the lives of their families however, its the lack of faith every Brit has in our system that angers the majority of us. But then, why should we put our faith in a system where British citizens aren't a priority.. Why have we opened the doors to Romanians and Bulgarians when there have been stories of them loving the fact they will come over and beg, steal and rape? I live in Shirley and its hard to spot a Brit amongst the mitts of the poles and every other nationality known to man.. Its so frustrating when you see how cost of living is going up, yet pay rises are not. More and more people come over here to sponge off of our system and they will openly admit it.. Yet the people with the huge pay packets and the people who get to spend their days going to charity events and living a life of luxury get to make the decision on how we, the people who actually live in the real world, have to live. The government are an absolute joke... It gets me so worked up when I read stories like this, or stories about people on DSS that don't ever bother to even begin to think about getting a bloody job. When you work full time for a crap wage that hasn't gone up in over 4 years, you struggle to get on the property ladder with out having a family member die and leave you inheritance because they pay is so shocking you can't afford to save, when there are no parking spaces all over the city and now the council are going to start charging for parking in the city at night, when you live in Shirley and you feel un easy about walking past the all of the polish shops with the men just staring at you, where you cant get a seat on the but because its full of many school kids who cant even speak English... Great Britain.. your a f*cking joke. Lolly*

6:34pm Thu 9 Jan 14

From the sidelines says...

Georgethepie wrote:
sass wrote:
Georgethepie wrote:
And I wonder how much extra it costs the tax payer to support these children in order to make sure they dont fall back in there education. I'm willing to bet the school are paying for many more support staff now than say they would have been 10 years ago. And the Clegg and co still believe the mass migration into Britain isn't a problem
"don't fall back in there (sic) education" It takes a Brit to screw up the English language! Immigrant children soak upthe language like a sponge.
Oh I'm sorry my English isn't up to the high standard you require. And how come you know so much about immigrant children. If immigrant children are as bright as you claim why are so many growing up and coming over to the uk in order to wash cars. Would it be due to the fact the education process let them down back in Poland or some other eastern block country or was it because they had 40 differant languages being spoken back home aswell.
If you don't like my comments bad luck but keep the insults to yourself please
Moron!!!
What a bad-tempered reply.

You expressed concern about educational standards by making a post that is littered with errors in its punctuation and grammar.

Oh, the irony. The bitter, bitter irony.

.-
[quote][p][bold]Georgethepie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sass[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Georgethepie[/bold] wrote: And I wonder how much extra it costs the tax payer to support these children in order to make sure they dont fall back in there education. I'm willing to bet the school are paying for many more support staff now than say they would have been 10 years ago. And the Clegg and co still believe the mass migration into Britain isn't a problem[/p][/quote]"don't fall back in there (sic) education" It takes a Brit to screw up the English language! Immigrant children soak upthe language like a sponge.[/p][/quote]Oh I'm sorry my English isn't up to the high standard you require. And how come you know so much about immigrant children. If immigrant children are as bright as you claim why are so many growing up and coming over to the uk in order to wash cars. Would it be due to the fact the education process let them down back in Poland or some other eastern block country or was it because they had 40 differant languages being spoken back home aswell. If you don't like my comments bad luck but keep the insults to yourself please Moron!!![/p][/quote]What a bad-tempered reply. You expressed concern about educational standards by making a post that is littered with errors in its punctuation and grammar. Oh, the irony. The bitter, bitter irony. .- From the sidelines

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree