City council freezes Southampton parking charges for three years

Three-year freeze on parking charges

Three-year freeze on parking charges

First published in News
Last updated
Daily Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Political reporter

PARKING charges in Southampton will not rise for the next three years.

That is the pledge from Labour council chiefs as controversial evening parking fees come into force in the city centre.

But opposition councillors have accused them of doing “too little, too late” having already implemented the hikes.

The decision has been one of the most controversial made by Labour bosses since they came to power in May 2012.

Flat evening charges of £2 have now been introduced until midnight in city centre car parks and 8pm in on-street parking bays.

There had been uproar among city centre organisations, businesses and residents at the charges, with claims that it would scare away vital trade.

The Tory opposition has also said it would launch a legal challenge against the hikes because Labour has previously claimed it was being done to balance the books – which they say is illegal.

But council leader Simon Letts says the statements arose out of “confusion”, because the parking budgets are included in the council’s complete budget.

Announcing the freeze he said: “I have listened to what people have said and I have listened to the business community and it’s clear that there is no reason why charges should be increased and therefore they are going to be frozen or reduced for three years. Then we will have a review and see if any change is appropriate.

“We are anxious to retain our part of car parking in the city centre against private competitors, but we don’t think it’s appropriate to raise charges in the next three years.”

Stressing the recent increases had been “necessary”, he added: “I would like the council to publish an annual car parking account, which says ‘this is what we spent on this and this is where this money went’.

“This would be good in the interests of transparency.”

But the Tory opposition has again criticised Cllr Letts’ administration, with group leader Royston Smith saying his party are continuing with its legal challenge.

He said: “It’s too little, too late. They’ve already damaged the night time economy by pushing through these unfair and unnecessary charges, which we are not sure are legal.

“It’s a case of shutting the stable door after the car parking horse has bolted.”

Comments (16)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:21pm Wed 8 Jan 14

southy says...

Sounds like Labour confident that they will still control the council for the next 3 years
Sounds like Labour confident that they will still control the council for the next 3 years southy
  • Score: -5

2:03pm Wed 8 Jan 14

saint61 says...

southy wrote:
Sounds like Labour confident that they will still control the council for the next 3 years
not a chance
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Sounds like Labour confident that they will still control the council for the next 3 years[/p][/quote]not a chance saint61
  • Score: 7

2:23pm Wed 8 Jan 14

Lone Ranger. says...

southy wrote:
Sounds like Labour confident that they will still control the council for the next 3 years
I may be corrected but ..... they cant lose enough seats at the next local elections to lose overall majority.
.
Still its much better than bin strikes and dictitorial leadership
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Sounds like Labour confident that they will still control the council for the next 3 years[/p][/quote]I may be corrected but ..... they cant lose enough seats at the next local elections to lose overall majority. . Still its much better than bin strikes and dictitorial leadership Lone Ranger.
  • Score: 1

2:41pm Wed 8 Jan 14

sotonboy84 says...

So what do they claim any potential profits are for if they're not to balance the books?

Just park in Westquay, £1 after 5pm.
So what do they claim any potential profits are for if they're not to balance the books? Just park in Westquay, £1 after 5pm. sotonboy84
  • Score: 7

2:42pm Wed 8 Jan 14

southy says...

Lone Ranger. wrote:
southy wrote:
Sounds like Labour confident that they will still control the council for the next 3 years
I may be corrected but ..... they cant lose enough seats at the next local elections to lose overall majority.
.
Still its much better than bin strikes and dictitorial leadership
Yes well it is not possible for them to lose control this year as there are 16 wards and Labour as 30 seats out of the 48 seats and the Torys 16 seats, but if the Torys gain 4 to 6 wards this year and gain the rest next year they could be in power, even if they only gain another 4 wards this year and 4 more next year the following year 2015 would see them back in power if they carry on with a winning form.
But it do look like Labour is confident not to lose.
[quote][p][bold]Lone Ranger.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Sounds like Labour confident that they will still control the council for the next 3 years[/p][/quote]I may be corrected but ..... they cant lose enough seats at the next local elections to lose overall majority. . Still its much better than bin strikes and dictitorial leadership[/p][/quote]Yes well it is not possible for them to lose control this year as there are 16 wards and Labour as 30 seats out of the 48 seats and the Torys 16 seats, but if the Torys gain 4 to 6 wards this year and gain the rest next year they could be in power, even if they only gain another 4 wards this year and 4 more next year the following year 2015 would see them back in power if they carry on with a winning form. But it do look like Labour is confident not to lose. southy
  • Score: -2

2:55pm Wed 8 Jan 14

southy says...

Lone you might find this interesting.

http://www.huffingto
npost.co.uk/ramesh-p
atel/growth-cameron-
austerity_b_2007552.
html

A Tory calling Cameron a big fat lie policy and he wants Cameron and others to apologise to the public for there lies to the public
Lone you might find this interesting. http://www.huffingto npost.co.uk/ramesh-p atel/growth-cameron- austerity_b_2007552. html A Tory calling Cameron a big fat lie policy and he wants Cameron and others to apologise to the public for there lies to the public southy
  • Score: -2

3:03pm Wed 8 Jan 14

Shoong says...

southy wrote:
Lone you might find this interesting.

http://www.huffingto

npost.co.uk/ramesh-p

atel/growth-cameron-

austerity_b_2007552.

html

A Tory calling Cameron a big fat lie policy and he wants Cameron and others to apologise to the public for there lies to the public
This comment has been reported because it bears no relevance to the story and only serves to promote a political agenda.

What's the matter? Has Nick Chaffey not got enough errands for you to run today?
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Lone you might find this interesting. http://www.huffingto npost.co.uk/ramesh-p atel/growth-cameron- austerity_b_2007552. html A Tory calling Cameron a big fat lie policy and he wants Cameron and others to apologise to the public for there lies to the public[/p][/quote]This comment has been reported because it bears no relevance to the story and only serves to promote a political agenda. What's the matter? Has Nick Chaffey not got enough errands for you to run today? Shoong
  • Score: 1

3:14pm Wed 8 Jan 14

Lone Ranger. says...

Shoong wrote:
southy wrote:
Lone you might find this interesting.

http://www.huffingto


npost.co.uk/ramesh-p


atel/growth-cameron-


austerity_b_2007552.


html

A Tory calling Cameron a big fat lie policy and he wants Cameron and others to apologise to the public for there lies to the public
This comment has been reported because it bears no relevance to the story and only serves to promote a political agenda.

What's the matter? Has Nick Chaffey not got enough errands for you to run today?
Reported !!!!!!! .......... By the same poster that gave Southy's personal Facebook details on this forum
[quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Lone you might find this interesting. http://www.huffingto npost.co.uk/ramesh-p atel/growth-cameron- austerity_b_2007552. html A Tory calling Cameron a big fat lie policy and he wants Cameron and others to apologise to the public for there lies to the public[/p][/quote]This comment has been reported because it bears no relevance to the story and only serves to promote a political agenda. What's the matter? Has Nick Chaffey not got enough errands for you to run today?[/p][/quote]Reported !!!!!!! .......... By the same poster that gave Southy's personal Facebook details on this forum Lone Ranger.
  • Score: 0

3:29pm Wed 8 Jan 14

Shoong says...

Lone Ranger. wrote:
Shoong wrote:
southy wrote:
Lone you might find this interesting.

http://www.huffingto



npost.co.uk/ramesh-p



atel/growth-cameron-



austerity_b_2007552.



html

A Tory calling Cameron a big fat lie policy and he wants Cameron and others to apologise to the public for there lies to the public
This comment has been reported because it bears no relevance to the story and only serves to promote a political agenda.

What's the matter? Has Nick Chaffey not got enough errands for you to run today?
Reported !!!!!!! .......... By the same poster that gave Southy's personal Facebook details on this forum
No I didn't.

I just said it was on his Facebook page for all to see. Anyone with an Facebook account can view it.
[quote][p][bold]Lone Ranger.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Lone you might find this interesting. http://www.huffingto npost.co.uk/ramesh-p atel/growth-cameron- austerity_b_2007552. html A Tory calling Cameron a big fat lie policy and he wants Cameron and others to apologise to the public for there lies to the public[/p][/quote]This comment has been reported because it bears no relevance to the story and only serves to promote a political agenda. What's the matter? Has Nick Chaffey not got enough errands for you to run today?[/p][/quote]Reported !!!!!!! .......... By the same poster that gave Southy's personal Facebook details on this forum[/p][/quote]No I didn't. I just said it was on his Facebook page for all to see. Anyone with an Facebook account can view it. Shoong
  • Score: 0

3:55pm Wed 8 Jan 14

southy says...

Shoong wrote:
Lone Ranger. wrote:
Shoong wrote:
southy wrote:
Lone you might find this interesting.

http://www.huffingto




npost.co.uk/ramesh-p




atel/growth-cameron-




austerity_b_2007552.




html

A Tory calling Cameron a big fat lie policy and he wants Cameron and others to apologise to the public for there lies to the public
This comment has been reported because it bears no relevance to the story and only serves to promote a political agenda.

What's the matter? Has Nick Chaffey not got enough errands for you to run today?
Reported !!!!!!! .......... By the same poster that gave Southy's personal Facebook details on this forum
No I didn't.

I just said it was on his Facebook page for all to see. Anyone with an Facebook account can view it.
Well it seems that the Echo web master do not have a problem with it.
By the way shoong not every one has a facebook account
[quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lone Ranger.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Lone you might find this interesting. http://www.huffingto npost.co.uk/ramesh-p atel/growth-cameron- austerity_b_2007552. html A Tory calling Cameron a big fat lie policy and he wants Cameron and others to apologise to the public for there lies to the public[/p][/quote]This comment has been reported because it bears no relevance to the story and only serves to promote a political agenda. What's the matter? Has Nick Chaffey not got enough errands for you to run today?[/p][/quote]Reported !!!!!!! .......... By the same poster that gave Southy's personal Facebook details on this forum[/p][/quote]No I didn't. I just said it was on his Facebook page for all to see. Anyone with an Facebook account can view it.[/p][/quote]Well it seems that the Echo web master do not have a problem with it. By the way shoong not every one has a facebook account southy
  • Score: -1

4:35pm Wed 8 Jan 14

Torchie1 says...

southy wrote:
Lone you might find this interesting.

http://www.huffingto

npost.co.uk/ramesh-p

atel/growth-cameron-

austerity_b_2007552.

html

A Tory calling Cameron a big fat lie policy and he wants Cameron and others to apologise to the public for there lies to the public
Are you sure you people want to hear apologies from politicians who have lied to the public, even the Wannabee types who will never enjoy any power at all?
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Lone you might find this interesting. http://www.huffingto npost.co.uk/ramesh-p atel/growth-cameron- austerity_b_2007552. html A Tory calling Cameron a big fat lie policy and he wants Cameron and others to apologise to the public for there lies to the public[/p][/quote]Are you sure you people want to hear apologies from politicians who have lied to the public, even the Wannabee types who will never enjoy any power at all? Torchie1
  • Score: 2

4:55pm Wed 8 Jan 14

southy says...

Torchie1 wrote:
southy wrote:
Lone you might find this interesting.

http://www.huffingto


npost.co.uk/ramesh-p


atel/growth-cameron-


austerity_b_2007552.


html

A Tory calling Cameron a big fat lie policy and he wants Cameron and others to apologise to the public for there lies to the public
Are you sure you people want to hear apologies from politicians who have lied to the public, even the Wannabee types who will never enjoy any power at all?
Lets put it this way it would go a long way if they did
[quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Lone you might find this interesting. http://www.huffingto npost.co.uk/ramesh-p atel/growth-cameron- austerity_b_2007552. html A Tory calling Cameron a big fat lie policy and he wants Cameron and others to apologise to the public for there lies to the public[/p][/quote]Are you sure you people want to hear apologies from politicians who have lied to the public, even the Wannabee types who will never enjoy any power at all?[/p][/quote]Lets put it this way it would go a long way if they did southy
  • Score: -3

5:01pm Wed 8 Jan 14

Linesman says...

"The Tory opposition has also said that it will launch a legal challenge against the hikes."

I wonder if they will have as much success with that as they had with their Legal Challenge against the Unions?
"The Tory opposition has also said that it will launch a legal challenge against the hikes." I wonder if they will have as much success with that as they had with their Legal Challenge against the Unions? Linesman
  • Score: 0

8:19pm Wed 8 Jan 14

Shoong says...

southy wrote:
Shoong wrote:
Lone Ranger. wrote:
Shoong wrote:
southy wrote:
Lone you might find this interesting.

http://www.huffingto





npost.co.uk/ramesh-p





atel/growth-cameron-





austerity_b_2007552.





html

A Tory calling Cameron a big fat lie policy and he wants Cameron and others to apologise to the public for there lies to the public
This comment has been reported because it bears no relevance to the story and only serves to promote a political agenda.

What's the matter? Has Nick Chaffey not got enough errands for you to run today?
Reported !!!!!!! .......... By the same poster that gave Southy's personal Facebook details on this forum
No I didn't.

I just said it was on his Facebook page for all to see. Anyone with an Facebook account can view it.
Well it seems that the Echo web master do not have a problem with it.
By the way shoong not every one has a facebook account
No, not yet, but I think it's really a part time position.

It's still clearly irrelevant.

Correct, not everyone has a Facebook account but lots and lots of people do. Like you do.

Fortunately , the majority aren't sad enough though just to post second hand links from other websites to push a far leftist propaganda.

I'd accuse you of not having enough to do but I suppose if you are hanging on to the coat tails of a cause because you don't FA to do you've found something I suppose.

It's important to keep your brain active no matter how old you are, even if the wiring is a bit crossed.
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lone Ranger.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Lone you might find this interesting. http://www.huffingto npost.co.uk/ramesh-p atel/growth-cameron- austerity_b_2007552. html A Tory calling Cameron a big fat lie policy and he wants Cameron and others to apologise to the public for there lies to the public[/p][/quote]This comment has been reported because it bears no relevance to the story and only serves to promote a political agenda. What's the matter? Has Nick Chaffey not got enough errands for you to run today?[/p][/quote]Reported !!!!!!! .......... By the same poster that gave Southy's personal Facebook details on this forum[/p][/quote]No I didn't. I just said it was on his Facebook page for all to see. Anyone with an Facebook account can view it.[/p][/quote]Well it seems that the Echo web master do not have a problem with it. By the way shoong not every one has a facebook account[/p][/quote]No, not yet, but I think it's really a part time position. It's still clearly irrelevant. Correct, not everyone has a Facebook account but lots and lots of people do. Like you do. Fortunately , the majority aren't sad enough though just to post second hand links from other websites to push a far leftist propaganda. I'd accuse you of not having enough to do but I suppose if you are hanging on to the coat tails of a cause because you don't FA to do you've found something I suppose. It's important to keep your brain active no matter how old you are, even if the wiring is a bit crossed. Shoong
  • Score: 1

8:36pm Wed 8 Jan 14

Torchie1 says...

southy wrote:
Torchie1 wrote:
southy wrote:
Lone you might find this interesting.

http://www.huffingto



npost.co.uk/ramesh-p



atel/growth-cameron-



austerity_b_2007552.



html

A Tory calling Cameron a big fat lie policy and he wants Cameron and others to apologise to the public for there lies to the public
Are you sure you people want to hear apologies from politicians who have lied to the public, even the Wannabee types who will never enjoy any power at all?
Lets put it this way it would go a long way if they did
There are those who refuse to accept that they're lying and some that make things up in an attempt to win an argument and don't think this constitutes lying. Although consistently proved to be in the wrong, some cannot accept that they've been rumbled and change the argument in order to avoid embarrassment or they simply disappear from the forum and hope that others will forget the fanciful stories.
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Lone you might find this interesting. http://www.huffingto npost.co.uk/ramesh-p atel/growth-cameron- austerity_b_2007552. html A Tory calling Cameron a big fat lie policy and he wants Cameron and others to apologise to the public for there lies to the public[/p][/quote]Are you sure you people want to hear apologies from politicians who have lied to the public, even the Wannabee types who will never enjoy any power at all?[/p][/quote]Lets put it this way it would go a long way if they did[/p][/quote]There are those who refuse to accept that they're lying and some that make things up in an attempt to win an argument and don't think this constitutes lying. Although consistently proved to be in the wrong, some cannot accept that they've been rumbled and change the argument in order to avoid embarrassment or they simply disappear from the forum and hope that others will forget the fanciful stories. Torchie1
  • Score: 3

9:48pm Wed 8 Jan 14

lisa whitemore says...

saint61 wrote:
southy wrote:
Sounds like Labour confident that they will still control the council for the next 3 years
not a chance
no chance of that happening southy!
[quote][p][bold]saint61[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Sounds like Labour confident that they will still control the council for the next 3 years[/p][/quote]not a chance[/p][/quote]no chance of that happening southy! lisa whitemore
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree