Southampton traffic at a standstill once again

This live event has finished

Latest

  • Traffic jams clogging city centre
  • Five cruise ships alongside today
  • Many major routes into city centre at a standstill for hours
  • Traffic began easing after 4pm
  • Took some drivers hours to travel short distances in city centre

8:02pm

We're closing down the live blog now, although you will still be able to post comments about what you think of today's traffic.

There will be plenty more coverage in the Daily Echo tomorrow, as the city evaluates the lessons that need to be learned from today's chaos.

7:52pm

7:51pm

Daily Echo: Traffic on Town Quay earlier today.

Traffic on Town Quay earlier today

7:41pm

Tonight there will be people heading towards Town Quay and Mayflower Park to see the fireworks for QM2 at 8pm tonight, although the traffic should be nowhere near the levels that caused the problems earlier today - even with the traffic incidents reported at 7.38pm.

7:39pm

A brief clip showing some of the traffic in the city centre this afternoon.

 

7:38pm


 

7:16pm

7:01pm Fri 10 Jan 14

Costa Baz says

ToastyTea wrote:
park and ride ?
I've used Park and Ride, in Leicester, and it was simplicity itself.
Not sure how well it would work in Southampton, as there seem to be so many bottleneck areas, where bus lanes disappear and the benefit of using the bus, disappears with it.

What would be better is for the buses to come back under the control of the city, so they can be run for the people, making a modest profit, as a result of fairer fares, luring car users back onto them.
The bus service in London wasn't privatised, and as a result it is possible, by using the Oyster Card, to make lengthy bus journeys for just £1.40. There is also a fixed limit on the card, so if you want to spend the day, just riding buses, it will never exceed the daily limit, something like £8.00, I think. Even without an Oyster Card, a journey will be a set price, such as £2.80, for going 1stop or to the end of it's journey.
Privatisation has been the scourge of this nation, with billions of pounds of profits going into private pockets, with more money being lost owing to the tax avoidance schemes used by those companies, especially the utilities.

7:09pm

Angry commuters have emailed into the Daily Echo to voice their concerns at today's traffic chaos.

Sheila Porter, said: "To have five  ships going out at once is ludicrous. We arrived on West Quay Road at 12.02pm and didn't get to car park until 2.36pm

"Over 2 and a half hour wait. It was dreadful. Never again.

"Someone somewhere ought to make sure that it never happens again.

"We were only shopping and retired so the frustration although high was not mixed with stress of trying to get somewhere at a special time.

"We will check in future as we live in Ferndown Dorset and would not of made that trip if we had known."

Meanwhile, Roger Macnamara, said: "The people who run this poor excuse for a city must be the biggest bunch of imbeciles that were put on this earth."

7:04pm

6:25pm

5:40pm

5:39pm Fri 10 Jan 14

phil maccavity says

First of all commiserations for all those who were stuck in traffic today.
Unfortunately I was one of them and, like plenty of others, I was the only one in the car.
In my experience the City's road system has done pretty well to accommodate increased traffic bearing in mind West Quay, Ikea, increased Cruise Ships, Boat Show, St Mary's stadium etc.
However the two sets of simultaneous road works have caused considerable short term pain for, hopefully. long term gain.
As someone who often has to travel throughout the UK by road, it seemed that traffic levels had decreased quite a bit after 2009.
However in the last 6 months or so traffic levels everywhere appear to have shot up. Is this due to the economic recovery or reduction and cost of public transport?
Still putting things in perspective I remember it taking ages to get home to Bitterne years ago on the bus so nothing changes except our aspirations.

5:30pm

Around the city tonight, Canute Road is busy towards the Itchen Bridge, Six Dials is busy heading out of the city, as is Stoneham Way.
 
Winchester Road is moving slowly, as is traffic on Shirley High Street and Burgess Road just north of The Common.
 
However, there are no delays at the roadworks on the city side of the Itchen Bridge.
 
As for the motorways, the outbound M271 is slow moving as is the eastbound M27 between junctions 3 and 7.

5:03pm

4:49pm

4:31pm Fri 10 Jan 14

R_Craw says

The thing is these roadworks have been going on for several weeks, and the council hasn't done anything to prevent any further congestion. This was the third time it got this bad, surely they should have implemented a plan to sort this out. Clearly they don't have a plan. But they were very quick to introduce the after 6 o'clock parking charges.
I walked by Dock Gate 4 today just after 10 o'clock, and I couldn't see one single person doing any kind of work!

Perhaps it's time Ms Rayment thinks about whether she's suitable for the job rather than blaming other agencies and companies for the massive traffic jams.

4:43pm

Some cruise passengers took matters into their own hands and decided to walk rather than wait any longer in the traffic.

Daily Echo: Cruise passengers take to the pavement to avoid the traffic problems in Southampton

4:30pm

4:05pm Fri 10 Jan 14

Nod says

I was Driving my wife to work just before 2.00 and we were stuck in the left hand lane of Eastbound Mountbatten Way simply because some selfish driver attempted to jump the queue and then push into the middle lane just before the traffic lights onto West Quay Road. Naturally, as the traffic wasn't moving they couldn't barge in. They felt the need to wait there for FIFTEEN minutes needlessly holding up the entire lane behind them.

4:22pm

Traffic on Platform Road beside the roadworks area.

Daily Echo:

4:12pm

Southampton City Council is advising anyone heading towards the docklands area around Dock Gate 4, to use a route from the east rather than via the M271 and Millbrook Road/West Quay Road, if possible.

The authority says roads from the east, such as via the Itchen or Northam Bridges are not as congested as those from the west.

4:10pm

Reporter Michael Carr says traffic is begining to ease along West Quay Road now, although that may change with rush hour approaching.

4:06pm

Daily Echo:

4:06pm

One driver says it took them two-and-a-half hours to drive from Dock Gate 10 to the De Vere Hotel.

3:55pm

Down beside Dock Gate 4, Daily Echo reporter Emily Ford says traffic is slowly moving every 10 seconds or so through the roadworks area, with queues extending halfway down Canute Road and Terminus Terrace and all the way around the Queen's Park gyratory system.

3:46pm

Daily Echo:

Traffic on Millbrook Road

3:44pm

Daily Echo: New city council leader Cllr Jacqui Rayment

The head of transport in the city, Cllr Jacqui Rayment, has spoken on behalf of the council

Southampton City Council’s cabinet member for environment and transport, said: “We’re aware that drivers have been experiencing delays in the city centre and we regret any inconvenience caused.

"The council and its highways partner are constantly reviewing and implementing measures to improve peak time traffic flow and reduce congestion, including modifying traffic management arrangements and signal phasing, extending the hours when manual control of signals is used, and working with ABP to increase staff levels at Dock Gate 4. All this will help to speed up traffic entering and leaving the port, as far as is possible.

“There were five large cruise ships in port on Friday and as a result there were considerably more vehicles on the roads in the city centre.

"The ongoing improvement works at Platform Road can have an impact on journey times around Dock Gate 4, particularly when more than one cruise liner is in port and passengers are disembarking and joining the ships.

"These works represent a major investment in the city’s infrastructure and once complete will contribute to reducing congestion and boosting economic growth within the city centre and the Port of Southampton.”

3:20pm

It's not just drivers counting the cost, but city centre businesses too:

General Manager Alex Jackson, from Richmond Motor Group, on West Quay Road, said: "It's been like this since 6am this morning. I've had employees anywhere from half-an-hjour to tthree hours late, depending on where they are coming from.

"Five customers have had to phone up and cancel their appointments.

"We've probably lost about £10,000 because of the traffic.

"We expect it on a Saturday with the football which is fair enough, but there's never any warning for roadworks and we'd appreciate some notification because it does affect business.

"People coming out of the dock gate, there's no signs or anything for them, so we've had people wandering around and coming into our showroom asking to go because there's nowhere accomodating them."

2:52pm

2:51pm

The police have received a few calls from members of the public stuck in the traffic.

A driver reported their vehicle had broken down outside Southampton central police station at around 2.15pm.

They confirmed the highways department were manually controlling the traffic lights.

A complaint was received about a lorry blocking the entrance to the Red Funnel terminal in West Quay.

Police say they are aware of the problem and have contacted the CCTV service to monitor the situation.

A spokesman said: “We advise people to contact the council about traffic issues.”

2:50pm

Tonight, there will also be a fireworks display to mark the 10th anniversary of QM2's first sailing, attracing a large number of people into the Town Quay area, which is currently at the heart of the traffic problems.

2:37pm

2:34pm

Carol and Tony Russell have travelled from Suffolk to board the Queen Elizabeth cruise.

They told the Daily Echo they have been stuck in traffic for more than two and a half hours and have had to change their child’s nappy in the car.

Tony said: “We are very angry. We have phoned the police and traffic control but they haven’t done anything to help.

“We have never seen it like this before. We come every year but this is ridiculous.”

2:33pm

Live updates on our traffic and travel service >>

2:29pm

The traffic in the city centre has been bad all day.

We first reported it this morning but the situation has not improved as they day has gone on.

2:26pm

QM2 and Queen Elizabeth are due to leave the city on world cruises, while Saga Ruby has just returned from its last ever voyage, meaning there are no passengers getting board that ship today.

2:26pm

The five cruise ships in port today are QM2 - which is celebrating it's 10th anniversary - Queen Elizabeth, Arcadia, Saga Pearl and Saga Ruby II.

Daily Echo: Cruises: Atlantic voyage of discoveryQM2

2:13pm

2:12pm

2:12pm

2:11pm

A frustrated van driver from Southampton who did not want to be named, said:” Driving around this town today is terrible. There is traffic queued up from Millbrook railway station all the way to Dock Gate 4.

“Along West Quay Road people were getting out of their cars and talking to one another, it was absolutely awful. In all my years driving in Southampton I have seen bad traffic but never as bad as this.

"This kind of traffic is not going to help the city in the cruising trade because people might miss the boat because they are waiting for ages to move anywhere.”

2:10pm

Outside Dock Gate 4, Platform Road is currently undergoing major roadworks to create a dual carriageway, while the junction at the western end of the Itchen Bridge is currently being redeveloped.

After previous delays when three cruise ships were in port, changes were made to the pelican crossing on Platform Road, linking the Eastern Docks and Queen's Park, in an attempt to keep road traffic moving as smoothly as possible.

The works on Platform Road began last summer, and are due to continue until April 2015.

Work on the Itchen Bridge is expected to continue until March, with further works on Central Bridge then being in place until May.

2:10pm

2:09pm

Daily Echo:

The view on Southern Road.

2:09pm

Daily Echo reporter Michael Carr is stuck in traffic on Southern Road near to West Quay Road where traffic is at an absolute standstill.

It doesn't look like anyone is moving anywhere soon, lots of people are changing their route.

In the space in ten minutes traffic has moved about 20 metres.

2:08pm

Southampton is at a standstill once again, with traffic clogging many major roads in the city centre.

Comments (59)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:15pm Fri 10 Jan 14

allsaintsnocurves says...

To be fair there are road works down there as they are looking to improve this and all the way along the waterfront but building more down at West Quay and Ocean Village is not going to help not to mention Mayflower Park!
To be fair there are road works down there as they are looking to improve this and all the way along the waterfront but building more down at West Quay and Ocean Village is not going to help not to mention Mayflower Park! allsaintsnocurves
  • Score: 6

2:32pm Fri 10 Jan 14

SaintAsh1964 says...

Biggest problem is dumb drivers sitting halfway across any junction and being stuck there when the lights change, Lorry/Coach/Bus/whit
e van man!
Biggest problem is dumb drivers sitting halfway across any junction and being stuck there when the lights change, Lorry/Coach/Bus/whit e van man! SaintAsh1964
  • Score: 7

2:53pm Fri 10 Jan 14

Costa Baz says...

I think they should move the docks to the top end of the Avenue.
That would put a stop to this problem.

There might be a flaw in this plan, but darned if I can see it;0)
I think they should move the docks to the top end of the Avenue. That would put a stop to this problem. There might be a flaw in this plan, but darned if I can see it;0) Costa Baz
  • Score: 15

3:22pm Fri 10 Jan 14

mickey01 says...

more down to the greedy council letting these large stores open in an area where the roadworks cannot cope with the traffic it brings. it was bad enough when the i.o.w ferry came in in the summer for years and you would have thought that any sane person would realise what would happpen in the future
more down to the greedy council letting these large stores open in an area where the roadworks cannot cope with the traffic it brings. it was bad enough when the i.o.w ferry came in in the summer for years and you would have thought that any sane person would realise what would happpen in the future mickey01
  • Score: 9

3:41pm Fri 10 Jan 14

Swissowned says...

I've lived in this city for over 15 years now, initially arriving as a student and then staying here through employment. The traffic problems have just got worse and worse in that time. Thankfully I cycle most days.

There has been some minor changes in that time to improve things but on the whole things have got worse. The increase in the number of cars on the roads now just doesn't help but the way I see it, one of the big problems is the number of traffic lights in the city. How can the city flow freely with so many? The answer to that is it can't, hence why some of them are having to be manually operated today!

Bad planning with things like IKEA in the city centre doesn't help! Goodness knows why anyone thought that was a good idea when the majority of IKEA customers need some form of transport for the flat packed goods they purchase!

Perhaps it's time to consider limiting the number of drivers on the roads. Maybe limiting the number of licenses issued per year? Or maybe a driving ban means a ban for life or having to join a list to wait to retake a test with a small quota for how many can be earned back per year?
I've lived in this city for over 15 years now, initially arriving as a student and then staying here through employment. The traffic problems have just got worse and worse in that time. Thankfully I cycle most days. There has been some minor changes in that time to improve things but on the whole things have got worse. The increase in the number of cars on the roads now just doesn't help but the way I see it, one of the big problems is the number of traffic lights in the city. How can the city flow freely with so many? The answer to that is it can't, hence why some of them are having to be manually operated today! Bad planning with things like IKEA in the city centre doesn't help! Goodness knows why anyone thought that was a good idea when the majority of IKEA customers need some form of transport for the flat packed goods they purchase! Perhaps it's time to consider limiting the number of drivers on the roads. Maybe limiting the number of licenses issued per year? Or maybe a driving ban means a ban for life or having to join a list to wait to retake a test with a small quota for how many can be earned back per year? Swissowned
  • Score: 2

3:52pm Fri 10 Jan 14

southy says...

Costa Baz wrote:
I think they should move the docks to the top end of the Avenue.
That would put a stop to this problem.

There might be a flaw in this plan, but darned if I can see it;0)
Well it would be ready for the raise in so called sea levels
[quote][p][bold]Costa Baz[/bold] wrote: I think they should move the docks to the top end of the Avenue. That would put a stop to this problem. There might be a flaw in this plan, but darned if I can see it;0)[/p][/quote]Well it would be ready for the raise in so called sea levels southy
  • Score: -3

3:55pm Fri 10 Jan 14

southy says...

This traffic que reminds me when millibrook road was a mono road, when art rush hour the traffic use to stem right across the city and all the way to totton by-pass where a traffic cop use to direct the traffic going into totton or to the by-pass
This traffic que reminds me when millibrook road was a mono road, when art rush hour the traffic use to stem right across the city and all the way to totton by-pass where a traffic cop use to direct the traffic going into totton or to the by-pass southy
  • Score: -7

3:57pm Fri 10 Jan 14

bigfella777 says...

It never used to be like that when you could drive all the way down Western Esplanade past Dimplex and the swimming baths. There should be a tunnel underneath West quay.
It never used to be like that when you could drive all the way down Western Esplanade past Dimplex and the swimming baths. There should be a tunnel underneath West quay. bigfella777
  • Score: 5

3:59pm Fri 10 Jan 14

zuki12 says...

Heavy traffic due to five criuse ships in dock, Did they come by road then
Heavy traffic due to five criuse ships in dock, Did they come by road then zuki12
  • Score: 1

4:05pm Fri 10 Jan 14

Nod says...

I was Driving my wife to work just before 2.00 and we were stuck in the left hand lane of Eastbound Mountbatten Way simply because some selfish driver attempted to jump the queue and then push into the middle lane just before the traffic lights onto West Quay Road. Naturally, as the traffic wasn't moving they couldn't barge in. They felt the need to wait there for FIFTEEN minutes needlessly holding up the entire lane behind them.
I was Driving my wife to work just before 2.00 and we were stuck in the left hand lane of Eastbound Mountbatten Way simply because some selfish driver attempted to jump the queue and then push into the middle lane just before the traffic lights onto West Quay Road. Naturally, as the traffic wasn't moving they couldn't barge in. They felt the need to wait there for FIFTEEN minutes needlessly holding up the entire lane behind them. Nod
  • Score: 2

4:26pm Fri 10 Jan 14

OSPREYSAINT says...

I went along to Mayflower Park (on foot) around 13:00 traffic going west bound was flowing freely, traffic going east passed the Royal Pier was at a stand and didn't actually move for a long, long time. Seems to me they need to open up some of the cul de sacs which force everything into the same road, to give alternative routes to exit the City.
I went along to Mayflower Park (on foot) around 13:00 traffic going west bound was flowing freely, traffic going east passed the Royal Pier was at a stand and didn't actually move for a long, long time. Seems to me they need to open up some of the cul de sacs which force everything into the same road, to give alternative routes to exit the City. OSPREYSAINT
  • Score: 0

4:31pm Fri 10 Jan 14

R_Craw says...

The thing is these roadworks have been going on for several weeks, and the council hasn't done anything to prevent any further congestion. This was the third time it got this bad, surely they should have implemented a plan to sort this out. Clearly they don't have a plan. But they were very quick to introduce the after 6 o'clock parking charges.
I walked by Dock Gate 4 today just after 10 o'clock, and I couldn't see one single person doing any kind of work!

Perhaps it's time Ms Rayment thinks about whether she's suitable for the job rather than blaming other agencies and companies for the massive traffic jams.
The thing is these roadworks have been going on for several weeks, and the council hasn't done anything to prevent any further congestion. This was the third time it got this bad, surely they should have implemented a plan to sort this out. Clearly they don't have a plan. But they were very quick to introduce the after 6 o'clock parking charges. I walked by Dock Gate 4 today just after 10 o'clock, and I couldn't see one single person doing any kind of work! Perhaps it's time Ms Rayment thinks about whether she's suitable for the job rather than blaming other agencies and companies for the massive traffic jams. R_Craw
  • Score: 9

4:41pm Fri 10 Jan 14

Dave Juson says...

The obvious solution is to close the docks and flatten and tarmac the entire town south of Cumberland Place and Brunswick Place and East of Herbert Walker Avenue as far as the Itchen. Then then would be plenty of room for all the cars and absolturly no reason for them to come to Southampton, other than there would be no congestion and no parking problems.
It's a matter of priorities. What is more important: a satisfactory environment for cars, or one for people? You can't have both.
The Echo voted by moving to Redbridge.
The obvious solution is to close the docks and flatten and tarmac the entire town south of Cumberland Place and Brunswick Place and East of Herbert Walker Avenue as far as the Itchen. Then then would be plenty of room for all the cars and absolturly no reason for them to come to Southampton, other than there would be no congestion and no parking problems. It's a matter of priorities. What is more important: a satisfactory environment for cars, or one for people? You can't have both. The Echo voted by moving to Redbridge. Dave Juson
  • Score: -3

4:47pm Fri 10 Jan 14

Ciaran says...

With days like today, we have neither a satisfactory environment for cars, or one for people.

Heaven forbid people complain about a farcical situation, but luckily you're quite happy to make glib comments.

I don't see what the Echo has to do with any of this, mind you.
With days like today, we have neither a satisfactory environment for cars, or one for people. Heaven forbid people complain about a farcical situation, but luckily you're quite happy to make glib comments. I don't see what the Echo has to do with any of this, mind you. Ciaran
  • Score: 2

4:56pm Fri 10 Jan 14

ToastyTea says...

park and ride ?
park and ride ? ToastyTea
  • Score: 4

4:57pm Fri 10 Jan 14

saintinpattaya says...

He he. Useless councillors.
He he. Useless councillors. saintinpattaya
  • Score: 6

5:10pm Fri 10 Jan 14

Smartiepants says...

Words, Ms Rayment, You're good at that but hopeless at putting anything into action. Why don't you do all the people in Southampton a favour and retire?
Words, Ms Rayment, You're good at that but hopeless at putting anything into action. Why don't you do all the people in Southampton a favour and retire? Smartiepants
  • Score: 9

5:17pm Fri 10 Jan 14

Mary80 says...

Perhaps having FIVE cruise liners dock at once isn't helping the problem, with the road works it just creates way more traffic the area cannot handle
Perhaps having FIVE cruise liners dock at once isn't helping the problem, with the road works it just creates way more traffic the area cannot handle Mary80
  • Score: 1

5:18pm Fri 10 Jan 14

03alpe01 says...

You do realise that the Council don't actually give a flying toss about this right? As long as they get money and West Quay is extended, traffic never will be an issue.
You do realise that the Council don't actually give a flying toss about this right? As long as they get money and West Quay is extended, traffic never will be an issue. 03alpe01
  • Score: 6

5:27pm Fri 10 Jan 14

Linesman says...

It is always nice to have the benefits of being the Cruise Capital being reported, otherwise there may be complaints.
It is always nice to have the benefits of being the Cruise Capital being reported, otherwise there may be complaints. Linesman
  • Score: -2

5:35pm Fri 10 Jan 14

Good Looking Man About Town. says...

How can a city that has docks for years be so rubbish at servicing them. What a great impression it gives to visitors to the city bet they cant wait to sail away or get home. With Liverpool breathing down the cities necks in terms of ports we are not helping ourselves.
How can a city that has docks for years be so rubbish at servicing them. What a great impression it gives to visitors to the city bet they cant wait to sail away or get home. With Liverpool breathing down the cities necks in terms of ports we are not helping ourselves. Good Looking Man About Town.
  • Score: 7

5:39pm Fri 10 Jan 14

phil maccavity says...

First of all commiserations for all those who were stuck in traffic today.
Unfortunately I was one of them and, like plenty of others, I was the only one in the car.
In my experience the City's road system has done pretty well to accommodate increased traffic bearing in mind West Quay, Ikea, increased Cruise Ships, Boat Show, St Mary's stadium etc.
However the two sets of simultaneous road works have caused considerable short term pain for, hopefully. long term gain.
As someone who often has to travel throughout the UK by road, it seemed that traffic levels had decreased quite a bit after 2009.
However in the last 6 months or so traffic levels everywhere appear to have shot up. Is this due to the economic recovery or reduction and cost of public transport?
Still putting things in perspective I remember it taking ages to get home to Bitterne years ago on the bus so nothing changes except our aspirations.
First of all commiserations for all those who were stuck in traffic today. Unfortunately I was one of them and, like plenty of others, I was the only one in the car. In my experience the City's road system has done pretty well to accommodate increased traffic bearing in mind West Quay, Ikea, increased Cruise Ships, Boat Show, St Mary's stadium etc. However the two sets of simultaneous road works have caused considerable short term pain for, hopefully. long term gain. As someone who often has to travel throughout the UK by road, it seemed that traffic levels had decreased quite a bit after 2009. However in the last 6 months or so traffic levels everywhere appear to have shot up. Is this due to the economic recovery or reduction and cost of public transport? Still putting things in perspective I remember it taking ages to get home to Bitterne years ago on the bus so nothing changes except our aspirations. phil maccavity
  • Score: -5

5:46pm Fri 10 Jan 14

saintslad says...

I know,..... why don't they get rid of the traffic lights at the end of the bridge and put in a roundabout to keep the traffic flowing ....divert the cycle lanes left and under the bridge it will also save 1,7 million ! What do you say Mrs Rayment??????
I know,..... why don't they get rid of the traffic lights at the end of the bridge and put in a roundabout to keep the traffic flowing ....divert the cycle lanes left and under the bridge it will also save 1,7 million ! What do you say Mrs Rayment?????? saintslad
  • Score: 1

5:55pm Fri 10 Jan 14

Graeme Harrison says...

If only Southampton had an ice-rink ...
If only Southampton had an ice-rink ... Graeme Harrison
  • Score: 2

6:01pm Fri 10 Jan 14

03alpe01 says...

Graeme Harrison wrote:
If only Southampton had an ice-rink ...
Oh dear. Someone just had to have a pop didn't they!
[quote][p][bold]Graeme Harrison[/bold] wrote: If only Southampton had an ice-rink ...[/p][/quote]Oh dear. Someone just had to have a pop didn't they! 03alpe01
  • Score: -1

6:04pm Fri 10 Jan 14

Fatty x Ford Worker says...

Port of Southampton cloggers you are having a laugh aint you!
Port of Southampton cloggers you are having a laugh aint you! Fatty x Ford Worker
  • Score: -2

6:05pm Fri 10 Jan 14

focus19 says...

The City cant cope Plain and Simple .... The council has cut Public Transport, There are hardly any bus routes across the city anymore only ''Preferred routes '' that make money for the profit hungry Bus Companies First No.7 and Bluestar 18 run around in packs Half empty whilst other areas suffer with lack of bus service. No wonder why People use there cars which now seems to be choking OUR city. Take a good look at A 1970'S Bus Route map and a route map for today. The council need to invest in bus Routes across the cit.y USE parking fines and other road offence fines to pay for public transport like other city's , STOP silly dangerous road scheme e.g widening pavements as in Shirley and London Road. NOT ALL Sotonian's are OBESE lol Use the cash for the transport infrastructure Turn off SOME traffic lights ease congestion and save electric. Come Daily Echo campaign for a better transport network for Southampton. Liverpool have a good case on winning the cruise ships on Transport infrastructure alone...
The City cant cope Plain and Simple .... The council has cut Public Transport, There are hardly any bus routes across the city anymore only ''Preferred routes '' that make money for the profit hungry Bus Companies First No.7 and Bluestar 18 run around in packs Half empty whilst other areas suffer with lack of bus service. No wonder why People use there cars which now seems to be choking OUR city. Take a good look at A 1970'S Bus Route map and a route map for today. The council need to invest in bus Routes across the cit.y USE parking fines and other road offence fines to pay for public transport like other city's , STOP silly dangerous road scheme e.g widening pavements as in Shirley and London Road. NOT ALL Sotonian's are OBESE lol Use the cash for the transport infrastructure Turn off SOME traffic lights ease congestion and save electric. Come Daily Echo campaign for a better transport network for Southampton. Liverpool have a good case on winning the cruise ships on Transport infrastructure alone... focus19
  • Score: 6

6:07pm Fri 10 Jan 14

OSPREYSAINT says...

Sadly one of the Cruise ships was on it's last cruise, Saga Ruby, the former Caronia.
Sadly one of the Cruise ships was on it's last cruise, Saga Ruby, the former Caronia. OSPREYSAINT
  • Score: -1

6:10pm Fri 10 Jan 14

loosehead says...

I went to West Quay Argos this afternoon & found it okay until I got to the Coach Station most of the traffic wasn't heading for the New Docks but for the Itchen Bridge so exactly how longs the road works going to last?
I went to West Quay Argos this afternoon & found it okay until I got to the Coach Station most of the traffic wasn't heading for the New Docks but for the Itchen Bridge so exactly how longs the road works going to last? loosehead
  • Score: 1

6:14pm Fri 10 Jan 14

Good Looking Man About Town. says...

With focus19 in getting rid of some of the traffic lights most could get replaced by roundabouts half the time you are sat there with nothing going on. In Hill Lane next to the old dell the lights were out for maintenance and flowed the best it ever has. Plus road works were you hardly see anyone working on it is a wind up.
With focus19 in getting rid of some of the traffic lights most could get replaced by roundabouts half the time you are sat there with nothing going on. In Hill Lane next to the old dell the lights were out for maintenance and flowed the best it ever has. Plus road works were you hardly see anyone working on it is a wind up. Good Looking Man About Town.
  • Score: 3

6:19pm Fri 10 Jan 14

UncleF says...

I like 'we had to change our baby's nappy in the car. We called the Police and traffic control, but they did nothing to help'....like what, exactly? Lift up some cars to make your journey quicker? Offer to take you to a dedicated roadside baby changing area? Close their eyes and wish really hard that you were where you needed to be?
Chump.
I like 'we had to change our baby's nappy in the car. We called the Police and traffic control, but they did nothing to help'....like what, exactly? Lift up some cars to make your journey quicker? Offer to take you to a dedicated roadside baby changing area? Close their eyes and wish really hard that you were where you needed to be? Chump. UncleF
  • Score: 6

6:34pm Fri 10 Jan 14

focus19 says...

loosehead wrote:
I went to West Quay Argos this afternoon & found it okay until I got to the Coach Station most of the traffic wasn't heading for the New Docks but for the Itchen Bridge so exactly how longs the road works going to last?
Due to finish sometime in 2015, if they ever get the **** into gear and stopped drinking Tea ! LOL
[quote][p][bold]loosehead[/bold] wrote: I went to West Quay Argos this afternoon & found it okay until I got to the Coach Station most of the traffic wasn't heading for the New Docks but for the Itchen Bridge so exactly how longs the road works going to last?[/p][/quote]Due to finish sometime in 2015, if they ever get the **** into gear and stopped drinking Tea ! LOL focus19
  • Score: 3

6:42pm Fri 10 Jan 14

Positively4thStreet says...

Park and ride,re introduction of trams(or similar bus routes),re opening of Northam and Terminus stations,15 minute shuttle trains between all the suburban stations,and the formation of some kind of ring road,would all help ease congestion considerably in town,because unfortunately,Southa
mpton can only be approached or exited from three directions(the forth being bounded by the sea)which means congestion relief for the city,will always be restricted anyway.
Park and ride,re introduction of trams(or similar bus routes),re opening of Northam and Terminus stations,15 minute shuttle trains between all the suburban stations,and the formation of some kind of ring road,would all help ease congestion considerably in town,because unfortunately,Southa mpton can only be approached or exited from three directions(the forth being bounded by the sea)which means congestion relief for the city,will always be restricted anyway. Positively4thStreet
  • Score: 3

6:52pm Fri 10 Jan 14

klappdrachen says...

I too get incredibly frustrated, grinding through road works on the bus, only to see NO work being done. Just lots of people in fluorescent waistcoats leaning on shovels or pneumatic drills!
Whilst the boss (you know he's the boss because he can afford the sleeves to his fluorescent jacket) points at things self-importantly whilst holding a clipboard. If I had a fiver for every time I've seen that scene on Millbrook flyover I could BUY the bus!
I too get incredibly frustrated, grinding through road works on the bus, only to see NO work being done. Just lots of people in fluorescent waistcoats leaning on shovels or pneumatic drills! Whilst the boss (you know he's the boss because he can afford the sleeves to his fluorescent jacket) points at things self-importantly whilst holding a clipboard. If I had a fiver for every time I've seen that scene on Millbrook flyover I could BUY the bus! klappdrachen
  • Score: 1

7:01pm Fri 10 Jan 14

Costa Baz says...

ToastyTea wrote:
park and ride ?
I've used Park and Ride, in Leicester, and it was simplicity itself.
Not sure how well it would work in Southampton, as there seem to be so many bottleneck areas, where bus lanes disappear and the benefit of using the bus, disappears with it.

What would be better is for the buses to come back under the control of the city, so they can be run for the people, making a modest profit, as a result of fairer fares, luring car users back onto them.
The bus service in London wasn't privatised, and as a result it is possible, by using the Oyster Card, to make lengthy bus journeys for just £1.40. There is also a fixed limit on the card, so if you want to spend the day, just riding buses, it will never exceed the daily limit, something like £8.00, I think. Even without an Oyster Card, a journey will be a set price, such as £2.80, for going 1stop or to the end of it's journey.
Privatisation has been the scourge of this nation, with billions of pounds of profits going into private pockets, with more money being lost owing to the tax avoidance schemes used by those companies, especially the utilities.
[quote][p][bold]ToastyTea[/bold] wrote: park and ride ?[/p][/quote]I've used Park and Ride, in Leicester, and it was simplicity itself. Not sure how well it would work in Southampton, as there seem to be so many bottleneck areas, where bus lanes disappear and the benefit of using the bus, disappears with it. What would be better is for the buses to come back under the control of the city, so they can be run for the people, making a modest profit, as a result of fairer fares, luring car users back onto them. The bus service in London wasn't privatised, and as a result it is possible, by using the Oyster Card, to make lengthy bus journeys for just £1.40. There is also a fixed limit on the card, so if you want to spend the day, just riding buses, it will never exceed the daily limit, something like £8.00, I think. Even without an Oyster Card, a journey will be a set price, such as £2.80, for going 1stop or to the end of it's journey. Privatisation has been the scourge of this nation, with billions of pounds of profits going into private pockets, with more money being lost owing to the tax avoidance schemes used by those companies, especially the utilities. Costa Baz
  • Score: 4

7:12pm Fri 10 Jan 14

klappdrachen says...

Well said ToastyTea, you 've hit the bulls eye fair and square. It's not about service anymore, it's about pleasing shareholders.
Well said ToastyTea, you 've hit the bulls eye fair and square. It's not about service anymore, it's about pleasing shareholders. klappdrachen
  • Score: 1

8:07pm Fri 10 Jan 14

Seedhouse the Unrepentant says...

Mary80 wrote:
Perhaps having FIVE cruise liners dock at once isn't helping the problem, with the road works it just creates way more traffic the area cannot handle
We're having a spat with Liverpool and the government about who gets the cruise ships. Do you think if we said 'FIVE is too many we can't cope' that it would help our cause? We might end up with ONE or NONE that way.
[quote][p][bold]Mary80[/bold] wrote: Perhaps having FIVE cruise liners dock at once isn't helping the problem, with the road works it just creates way more traffic the area cannot handle[/p][/quote]We're having a spat with Liverpool and the government about who gets the cruise ships. Do you think if we said 'FIVE is too many we can't cope' that it would help our cause? We might end up with ONE or NONE that way. Seedhouse the Unrepentant
  • Score: 0

8:23pm Fri 10 Jan 14

robj1969 says...

Smartiepants wrote:
Words, Ms Rayment, You're good at that but hopeless at putting anything into action. Why don't you do all the people in Southampton a favour and retire?
just vote her out....less dignified!
[quote][p][bold]Smartiepants[/bold] wrote: Words, Ms Rayment, You're good at that but hopeless at putting anything into action. Why don't you do all the people in Southampton a favour and retire?[/p][/quote]just vote her out....less dignified! robj1969
  • Score: 1

9:00pm Fri 10 Jan 14

loosehead says...

focus19 wrote:
loosehead wrote:
I went to West Quay Argos this afternoon & found it okay until I got to the Coach Station most of the traffic wasn't heading for the New Docks but for the Itchen Bridge so exactly how longs the road works going to last?
Due to finish sometime in 2015, if they ever get the **** into gear and stopped drinking Tea ! LOL
what! is this the work at the park?
dig up some of the park lay new road block off another road takes that long?
[quote][p][bold]focus19[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loosehead[/bold] wrote: I went to West Quay Argos this afternoon & found it okay until I got to the Coach Station most of the traffic wasn't heading for the New Docks but for the Itchen Bridge so exactly how longs the road works going to last?[/p][/quote]Due to finish sometime in 2015, if they ever get the **** into gear and stopped drinking Tea ! LOL[/p][/quote]what! is this the work at the park? dig up some of the park lay new road block off another road takes that long? loosehead
  • Score: 0

9:12pm Fri 10 Jan 14

loosehead says...

you all go on about park & ride i got a bus to Shirley from Upper brownhill/Romsey rd one way it cost £1.75 if I drove my car it would have been quicker & cheaper so how does P&R work?
do you pay to get on the bus? or do you park up & get free transport?
if it's free please put it next to me as I'll park my car & go for free if you have to pay full fare how many will be going by bus?
I remember the roads through town(city centre) right down to the Northam bridge being chocker with cars all day yet it's relatively calm now so where have all the cars gone to?
Itchen Bridge & Western esplanade maybe?
I was a trainee accounts clerk in the docks with every berth filled still with only single lane roads into town we never had this problem so to even mention the cruise ships is a red herring & we should be looking at the real problem.
My ex neighbour has just today come back from a cruise he got a taxi home it wanted to go through town & said it would take ages my friend said "Why?" driver " because of the ships" friend " why not drive down to dock gate twenty?" driver was shocked but went there & was held up for a while because of a train.
but why aren't all taxi's & all other cruise ship traffic not taking this option if they can go that way?
you all go on about park & ride i got a bus to Shirley from Upper brownhill/Romsey rd one way it cost £1.75 if I drove my car it would have been quicker & cheaper so how does P&R work? do you pay to get on the bus? or do you park up & get free transport? if it's free please put it next to me as I'll park my car & go for free if you have to pay full fare how many will be going by bus? I remember the roads through town(city centre) right down to the Northam bridge being chocker with cars all day yet it's relatively calm now so where have all the cars gone to? Itchen Bridge & Western esplanade maybe? I was a trainee accounts clerk in the docks with every berth filled still with only single lane roads into town we never had this problem so to even mention the cruise ships is a red herring & we should be looking at the real problem. My ex neighbour has just today come back from a cruise he got a taxi home it wanted to go through town & said it would take ages my friend said "Why?" driver " because of the ships" friend " why not drive down to dock gate twenty?" driver was shocked but went there & was held up for a while because of a train. but why aren't all taxi's & all other cruise ship traffic not taking this option if they can go that way? loosehead
  • Score: 1

9:25pm Fri 10 Jan 14

Mary80 says...

Seedhouse the Unrepentant wrote:
Mary80 wrote:
Perhaps having FIVE cruise liners dock at once isn't helping the problem, with the road works it just creates way more traffic the area cannot handle
We're having a spat with Liverpool and the government about who gets the cruise ships. Do you think if we said 'FIVE is too many we can't cope' that it would help our cause? We might end up with ONE or NONE that way.
the traffic when more than one dock triples its not like the car fairy magicked them on the road
[quote][p][bold]Seedhouse the Unrepentant[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mary80[/bold] wrote: Perhaps having FIVE cruise liners dock at once isn't helping the problem, with the road works it just creates way more traffic the area cannot handle[/p][/quote]We're having a spat with Liverpool and the government about who gets the cruise ships. Do you think if we said 'FIVE is too many we can't cope' that it would help our cause? We might end up with ONE or NONE that way.[/p][/quote]the traffic when more than one dock triples its not like the car fairy magicked them on the road Mary80
  • Score: 0

9:59pm Fri 10 Jan 14

dolomiteman says...

Carol and Tony Russell said: “We are very angry. We have phoned the police and traffic control but they haven’t done anything to help".

Why did they phone the police about a traffic jam and what were they expecting the police to do?
Carol and Tony Russell said: “We are very angry. We have phoned the police and traffic control but they haven’t done anything to help". Why did they phone the police about a traffic jam and what were they expecting the police to do? dolomiteman
  • Score: 1

10:32pm Fri 10 Jan 14

Rjhsoton says...

why did the council not plan these roadworks when the cruise ships are on their world cruises then they would not have the extra traffic with the turnarounds when we have a few ships in port
but then again that would be too easy an option
why did the council not plan these roadworks when the cruise ships are on their world cruises then they would not have the extra traffic with the turnarounds when we have a few ships in port but then again that would be too easy an option Rjhsoton
  • Score: 0

10:39pm Fri 10 Jan 14

03alpe01 says...

dolomiteman wrote:
Carol and Tony Russell said: “We are very angry. We have phoned the police and traffic control but they haven’t done anything to help".

Why did they phone the police about a traffic jam and what were they expecting the police to do?
Shoot every car thus getting rid of the traffic jam?
[quote][p][bold]dolomiteman[/bold] wrote: Carol and Tony Russell said: “We are very angry. We have phoned the police and traffic control but they haven’t done anything to help". Why did they phone the police about a traffic jam and what were they expecting the police to do?[/p][/quote]Shoot every car thus getting rid of the traffic jam? 03alpe01
  • Score: 0

10:48pm Fri 10 Jan 14

gristle says...

As cities go, Southampton is a tiny place. But the local media like to report 'gridlocks' - 'traffic jams' - etc in a way that conjures up images of a vast city with millions of vehicles battling for progress. At worst, there might be a few delays now and then - the sort of thing that happens everywhere during busy periods.
And very often such delays are caused by roadwork traffic lights. It happens all over the country - no big deal.
As cities go, Southampton is a tiny place. But the local media like to report 'gridlocks' - 'traffic jams' - etc in a way that conjures up images of a vast city with millions of vehicles battling for progress. At worst, there might be a few delays now and then - the sort of thing that happens everywhere during busy periods. And very often such delays are caused by roadwork traffic lights. It happens all over the country - no big deal. gristle
  • Score: 1

11:37pm Fri 10 Jan 14

timewaster1 says...

Had to get a taxi from Lordshill to Shirley this morning at about 8.45 because there was no suitable bus. The taxi arrived late because of the traffic build up and there was traffic hold ups in Shirley. Went to catch the bus home at 10.22 and the traffic in Shirley was hardly moving. It didn't help that buses turned up together. We counted 8 in a row (not mine I hasten to add). Mine arrived late because of the traffic build up. Once we got out of Shirley the traffic was normal.
Had to get a taxi from Lordshill to Shirley this morning at about 8.45 because there was no suitable bus. The taxi arrived late because of the traffic build up and there was traffic hold ups in Shirley. Went to catch the bus home at 10.22 and the traffic in Shirley was hardly moving. It didn't help that buses turned up together. We counted 8 in a row (not mine I hasten to add). Mine arrived late because of the traffic build up. Once we got out of Shirley the traffic was normal. timewaster1
  • Score: 0

11:47pm Fri 10 Jan 14

Donald2000 says...

UncleF wrote:
I like 'we had to change our baby's nappy in the car. We called the Police and traffic control, but they did nothing to help'....like what, exactly? Lift up some cars to make your journey quicker? Offer to take you to a dedicated roadside baby changing area? Close their eyes and wish really hard that you were where you needed to be?
Chump.
You failed to enquire whether or not they changed their own nappies at the same time, or whether they always make such infantile remarks.

I agree with your posting but never mind, I am sure the servants would have been along shortly to clear that nasty traffic away.
[quote][p][bold]UncleF[/bold] wrote: I like 'we had to change our baby's nappy in the car. We called the Police and traffic control, but they did nothing to help'....like what, exactly? Lift up some cars to make your journey quicker? Offer to take you to a dedicated roadside baby changing area? Close their eyes and wish really hard that you were where you needed to be? Chump.[/p][/quote]You failed to enquire whether or not they changed their own nappies at the same time, or whether they always make such infantile remarks. I agree with your posting but never mind, I am sure the servants would have been along shortly to clear that nasty traffic away. Donald2000
  • Score: 1

11:54pm Fri 10 Jan 14

jonnyx says...

in the past two weeks I've driven to the Randolph hotel *bang* in the centre of Oxford -a city not renowned for driving - from the A34 to the hotel - 15/20 mins (including a wrong turn). and I've driven to Sophia gardens in Cardiff, off the m4, five minutes on the link road then 7/8 minutes and I'm parked up a seven minute walk later (through the beautiful bute park arboretum and past the castle) and i'm right in the shopping centre. last Saturday I started from midanbury at one pm by one fifteen i'm past London road, between London road and the podium car park it takes me one and three quarter hours. no lying, i'm serious - unbelievable. I was sat at traffic lights while they went through five, six seven and even eight cycles - that's just not right is it? this city is a nightmare to drive in.
in the past two weeks I've driven to the Randolph hotel *bang* in the centre of Oxford -a city not renowned for driving - from the A34 to the hotel - 15/20 mins (including a wrong turn). and I've driven to Sophia gardens in Cardiff, off the m4, five minutes on the link road then 7/8 minutes and I'm parked up a seven minute walk later (through the beautiful bute park arboretum and past the castle) and i'm right in the shopping centre. last Saturday I started from midanbury at one pm by one fifteen i'm past London road, between London road and the podium car park it takes me one and three quarter hours. no lying, i'm serious - unbelievable. I was sat at traffic lights while they went through five, six seven and even eight cycles - that's just not right is it? this city is a nightmare to drive in. jonnyx
  • Score: 4

2:54am Sat 11 Jan 14

Ginger_cyclist says...

To many cars and traffic lights is the problem, not the cruise ships.
To many cars and traffic lights is the problem, not the cruise ships. Ginger_cyclist
  • Score: 1

6:55am Sat 11 Jan 14

Huey says...

Can't we send all these cruise ships to Liverpool, I hear they are up for it
Can't we send all these cruise ships to Liverpool, I hear they are up for it Huey
  • Score: 5

7:17am Sat 11 Jan 14

loosehead says...

Ginger_cyclist wrote:
To many cars and traffic lights is the problem, not the cruise ships.
if you read the above post they said it was bad in Shirley! this is where a two laned road was cut to a single lane & the pavements tripled in size as a traffic calming measure years ago now if you get a bus traffic builds up so I wonder is that the cruise ships fault or the busses fault?
now I do feel taxi drivers & regular drivers to the docks should be using dock gate 20 if at all possible
[quote][p][bold]Ginger_cyclist[/bold] wrote: To many cars and traffic lights is the problem, not the cruise ships.[/p][/quote]if you read the above post they said it was bad in Shirley! this is where a two laned road was cut to a single lane & the pavements tripled in size as a traffic calming measure years ago now if you get a bus traffic builds up so I wonder is that the cruise ships fault or the busses fault? now I do feel taxi drivers & regular drivers to the docks should be using dock gate 20 if at all possible loosehead
  • Score: 0

10:22am Sat 11 Jan 14

Lone Ranger. says...

jonnyx wrote:
in the past two weeks I've driven to the Randolph hotel *bang* in the centre of Oxford -a city not renowned for driving - from the A34 to the hotel - 15/20 mins (including a wrong turn). and I've driven to Sophia gardens in Cardiff, off the m4, five minutes on the link road then 7/8 minutes and I'm parked up a seven minute walk later (through the beautiful bute park arboretum and past the castle) and i'm right in the shopping centre. last Saturday I started from midanbury at one pm by one fifteen i'm past London road, between London road and the podium car park it takes me one and three quarter hours. no lying, i'm serious - unbelievable. I was sat at traffic lights while they went through five, six seven and even eight cycles - that's just not right is it? this city is a nightmare to drive in.
What tosh ......
.
I have driven in Oxford ....... i have driven in Cardiff ...... so what.
.
99.9% of times when idrive into or through Southampton there is not one issue of traffic problems ........ and i would expect that is the experience of most drivers
[quote][p][bold]jonnyx[/bold] wrote: in the past two weeks I've driven to the Randolph hotel *bang* in the centre of Oxford -a city not renowned for driving - from the A34 to the hotel - 15/20 mins (including a wrong turn). and I've driven to Sophia gardens in Cardiff, off the m4, five minutes on the link road then 7/8 minutes and I'm parked up a seven minute walk later (through the beautiful bute park arboretum and past the castle) and i'm right in the shopping centre. last Saturday I started from midanbury at one pm by one fifteen i'm past London road, between London road and the podium car park it takes me one and three quarter hours. no lying, i'm serious - unbelievable. I was sat at traffic lights while they went through five, six seven and even eight cycles - that's just not right is it? this city is a nightmare to drive in.[/p][/quote]What tosh ...... . I have driven in Oxford ....... i have driven in Cardiff ...... so what. . 99.9% of times when idrive into or through Southampton there is not one issue of traffic problems ........ and i would expect that is the experience of most drivers Lone Ranger.
  • Score: -1

1:19pm Sat 11 Jan 14

Ginger_cyclist says...

loosehead wrote:
Ginger_cyclist wrote:
To many cars and traffic lights is the problem, not the cruise ships.
if you read the above post they said it was bad in Shirley! this is where a two laned road was cut to a single lane & the pavements tripled in size as a traffic calming measure years ago now if you get a bus traffic builds up so I wonder is that the cruise ships fault or the busses fault?
now I do feel taxi drivers & regular drivers to the docks should be using dock gate 20 if at all possible
Can still be just as dangerous on Shirley High street with people speeding and pulling out from places like mcdonalds without looking.
[quote][p][bold]loosehead[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ginger_cyclist[/bold] wrote: To many cars and traffic lights is the problem, not the cruise ships.[/p][/quote]if you read the above post they said it was bad in Shirley! this is where a two laned road was cut to a single lane & the pavements tripled in size as a traffic calming measure years ago now if you get a bus traffic builds up so I wonder is that the cruise ships fault or the busses fault? now I do feel taxi drivers & regular drivers to the docks should be using dock gate 20 if at all possible[/p][/quote]Can still be just as dangerous on Shirley High street with people speeding and pulling out from places like mcdonalds without looking. Ginger_cyclist
  • Score: 0

1:41pm Sat 11 Jan 14

in search of the truth says...

Market forces will sort this mess out.
When the cruise passengers put in their complaints to the cruise operators and an analysis of passenger addresses is made the cruise companies will quickly realise that some of the ships should be based at other home ports than Southampton. The fact that people are expected to travel hundreds of miles in order to pick up a cruise ship at the cruise ship bus stops situated in Southampton is utterly ridiculous and this farce highlights the fact to existing passengers, potential passengers and the cruise lines.
There is very little in Southampton to interest to cruise passengers who are in transit, it's hardly an international city with a cultural diversity where one might stay for any period before or after a cruise, after this little episode it is clear that Southampton cannot cope with problems that affect most cities from time to time ( roadworks ).
The vast majority of these passengers never look around or spend money in Southampton and therefore Southampton gains no appreciable benefit from them, they are purely clogging up the roads to the cruise ship bus stops, in future however they may vote with their feet and complain to the cruise companies that this time, enough is enough and the cruise companies who have no particular loyalty may st5arting basing ships in other more interesting and closer ports to their customers.
Market forces will sort this mess out. When the cruise passengers put in their complaints to the cruise operators and an analysis of passenger addresses is made the cruise companies will quickly realise that some of the ships should be based at other home ports than Southampton. The fact that people are expected to travel hundreds of miles in order to pick up a cruise ship at the cruise ship bus stops situated in Southampton is utterly ridiculous and this farce highlights the fact to existing passengers, potential passengers and the cruise lines. There is very little in Southampton to interest to cruise passengers who are in transit, it's hardly an international city with a cultural diversity where one might stay for any period before or after a cruise, after this little episode it is clear that Southampton cannot cope with problems that affect most cities from time to time ( roadworks ). The vast majority of these passengers never look around or spend money in Southampton and therefore Southampton gains no appreciable benefit from them, they are purely clogging up the roads to the cruise ship bus stops, in future however they may vote with their feet and complain to the cruise companies that this time, enough is enough and the cruise companies who have no particular loyalty may st5arting basing ships in other more interesting and closer ports to their customers. in search of the truth
  • Score: 3

3:31pm Sat 11 Jan 14

loosehead says...

in search of the truth wrote:
Market forces will sort this mess out.
When the cruise passengers put in their complaints to the cruise operators and an analysis of passenger addresses is made the cruise companies will quickly realise that some of the ships should be based at other home ports than Southampton. The fact that people are expected to travel hundreds of miles in order to pick up a cruise ship at the cruise ship bus stops situated in Southampton is utterly ridiculous and this farce highlights the fact to existing passengers, potential passengers and the cruise lines.
There is very little in Southampton to interest to cruise passengers who are in transit, it's hardly an international city with a cultural diversity where one might stay for any period before or after a cruise, after this little episode it is clear that Southampton cannot cope with problems that affect most cities from time to time ( roadworks ).
The vast majority of these passengers never look around or spend money in Southampton and therefore Southampton gains no appreciable benefit from them, they are purely clogging up the roads to the cruise ship bus stops, in future however they may vote with their feet and complain to the cruise companies that this time, enough is enough and the cruise companies who have no particular loyalty may st5arting basing ships in other more interesting and closer ports to their customers.
I've been to Liverpool I've seen how busy the Strand can get what would happen if cruise ships went there?
I get where your coming from & I'm looking to move either up to Liverpool or to Thailand but let's get it straight you have a massive shopping area called Liverpool1 where are the car parks? we have them but I noticed relatively none compared to this city?
where are the green spaces next to your terminal? you see your not perfect but if the residents & the paper of this city keep on complaining & blaming the cruise ships you might get your wish!
does it rain a lot in Liverpool?
[quote][p][bold]in search of the truth[/bold] wrote: Market forces will sort this mess out. When the cruise passengers put in their complaints to the cruise operators and an analysis of passenger addresses is made the cruise companies will quickly realise that some of the ships should be based at other home ports than Southampton. The fact that people are expected to travel hundreds of miles in order to pick up a cruise ship at the cruise ship bus stops situated in Southampton is utterly ridiculous and this farce highlights the fact to existing passengers, potential passengers and the cruise lines. There is very little in Southampton to interest to cruise passengers who are in transit, it's hardly an international city with a cultural diversity where one might stay for any period before or after a cruise, after this little episode it is clear that Southampton cannot cope with problems that affect most cities from time to time ( roadworks ). The vast majority of these passengers never look around or spend money in Southampton and therefore Southampton gains no appreciable benefit from them, they are purely clogging up the roads to the cruise ship bus stops, in future however they may vote with their feet and complain to the cruise companies that this time, enough is enough and the cruise companies who have no particular loyalty may st5arting basing ships in other more interesting and closer ports to their customers.[/p][/quote]I've been to Liverpool I've seen how busy the Strand can get what would happen if cruise ships went there? I get where your coming from & I'm looking to move either up to Liverpool or to Thailand but let's get it straight you have a massive shopping area called Liverpool1 where are the car parks? we have them but I noticed relatively none compared to this city? where are the green spaces next to your terminal? you see your not perfect but if the residents & the paper of this city keep on complaining & blaming the cruise ships you might get your wish! does it rain a lot in Liverpool? loosehead
  • Score: -1

12:47am Sun 12 Jan 14

in search of the truth says...

loosehead wrote:
in search of the truth wrote:
Market forces will sort this mess out.
When the cruise passengers put in their complaints to the cruise operators and an analysis of passenger addresses is made the cruise companies will quickly realise that some of the ships should be based at other home ports than Southampton. The fact that people are expected to travel hundreds of miles in order to pick up a cruise ship at the cruise ship bus stops situated in Southampton is utterly ridiculous and this farce highlights the fact to existing passengers, potential passengers and the cruise lines.
There is very little in Southampton to interest to cruise passengers who are in transit, it's hardly an international city with a cultural diversity where one might stay for any period before or after a cruise, after this little episode it is clear that Southampton cannot cope with problems that affect most cities from time to time ( roadworks ).
The vast majority of these passengers never look around or spend money in Southampton and therefore Southampton gains no appreciable benefit from them, they are purely clogging up the roads to the cruise ship bus stops, in future however they may vote with their feet and complain to the cruise companies that this time, enough is enough and the cruise companies who have no particular loyalty may st5arting basing ships in other more interesting and closer ports to their customers.
I've been to Liverpool I've seen how busy the Strand can get what would happen if cruise ships went there?
I get where your coming from & I'm looking to move either up to Liverpool or to Thailand but let's get it straight you have a massive shopping area called Liverpool1 where are the car parks? we have them but I noticed relatively none compared to this city?
where are the green spaces next to your terminal? you see your not perfect but if the residents & the paper of this city keep on complaining & blaming the cruise ships you might get your wish!
does it rain a lot in Liverpool?
There is a 3,000 space underground carpark built beneath Chavasse Park within Liverpool One. The entrance is via an underground slip road off the Strand near The Albert Dock. The John Lewis department store also has its own multi-storey car park next to the store and there are other carparks nearby.
[quote][p][bold]loosehead[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]in search of the truth[/bold] wrote: Market forces will sort this mess out. When the cruise passengers put in their complaints to the cruise operators and an analysis of passenger addresses is made the cruise companies will quickly realise that some of the ships should be based at other home ports than Southampton. The fact that people are expected to travel hundreds of miles in order to pick up a cruise ship at the cruise ship bus stops situated in Southampton is utterly ridiculous and this farce highlights the fact to existing passengers, potential passengers and the cruise lines. There is very little in Southampton to interest to cruise passengers who are in transit, it's hardly an international city with a cultural diversity where one might stay for any period before or after a cruise, after this little episode it is clear that Southampton cannot cope with problems that affect most cities from time to time ( roadworks ). The vast majority of these passengers never look around or spend money in Southampton and therefore Southampton gains no appreciable benefit from them, they are purely clogging up the roads to the cruise ship bus stops, in future however they may vote with their feet and complain to the cruise companies that this time, enough is enough and the cruise companies who have no particular loyalty may st5arting basing ships in other more interesting and closer ports to their customers.[/p][/quote]I've been to Liverpool I've seen how busy the Strand can get what would happen if cruise ships went there? I get where your coming from & I'm looking to move either up to Liverpool or to Thailand but let's get it straight you have a massive shopping area called Liverpool1 where are the car parks? we have them but I noticed relatively none compared to this city? where are the green spaces next to your terminal? you see your not perfect but if the residents & the paper of this city keep on complaining & blaming the cruise ships you might get your wish! does it rain a lot in Liverpool?[/p][/quote]There is a 3,000 space underground carpark built beneath Chavasse Park within Liverpool One. The entrance is via an underground slip road off the Strand near The Albert Dock. The John Lewis department store also has its own multi-storey car park next to the store and there are other carparks nearby. in search of the truth
  • Score: 3

9:08am Sun 12 Jan 14

loosehead says...

in search of the truth wrote:
loosehead wrote:
in search of the truth wrote:
Market forces will sort this mess out.
When the cruise passengers put in their complaints to the cruise operators and an analysis of passenger addresses is made the cruise companies will quickly realise that some of the ships should be based at other home ports than Southampton. The fact that people are expected to travel hundreds of miles in order to pick up a cruise ship at the cruise ship bus stops situated in Southampton is utterly ridiculous and this farce highlights the fact to existing passengers, potential passengers and the cruise lines.
There is very little in Southampton to interest to cruise passengers who are in transit, it's hardly an international city with a cultural diversity where one might stay for any period before or after a cruise, after this little episode it is clear that Southampton cannot cope with problems that affect most cities from time to time ( roadworks ).
The vast majority of these passengers never look around or spend money in Southampton and therefore Southampton gains no appreciable benefit from them, they are purely clogging up the roads to the cruise ship bus stops, in future however they may vote with their feet and complain to the cruise companies that this time, enough is enough and the cruise companies who have no particular loyalty may st5arting basing ships in other more interesting and closer ports to their customers.
I've been to Liverpool I've seen how busy the Strand can get what would happen if cruise ships went there?
I get where your coming from & I'm looking to move either up to Liverpool or to Thailand but let's get it straight you have a massive shopping area called Liverpool1 where are the car parks? we have them but I noticed relatively none compared to this city?
where are the green spaces next to your terminal? you see your not perfect but if the residents & the paper of this city keep on complaining & blaming the cruise ships you might get your wish!
does it rain a lot in Liverpool?
There is a 3,000 space underground carpark built beneath Chavasse Park within Liverpool One. The entrance is via an underground slip road off the Strand near The Albert Dock. The John Lewis department store also has its own multi-storey car park next to the store and there are other carparks nearby.
saw the one at John Lewis but didn't realise it was that big so thank you.
I asked about the rain as I've been verbally attacked when I've said we might move to Liverpool & the weather was given as a reason not to move there so what's it like?
[quote][p][bold]in search of the truth[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loosehead[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]in search of the truth[/bold] wrote: Market forces will sort this mess out. When the cruise passengers put in their complaints to the cruise operators and an analysis of passenger addresses is made the cruise companies will quickly realise that some of the ships should be based at other home ports than Southampton. The fact that people are expected to travel hundreds of miles in order to pick up a cruise ship at the cruise ship bus stops situated in Southampton is utterly ridiculous and this farce highlights the fact to existing passengers, potential passengers and the cruise lines. There is very little in Southampton to interest to cruise passengers who are in transit, it's hardly an international city with a cultural diversity where one might stay for any period before or after a cruise, after this little episode it is clear that Southampton cannot cope with problems that affect most cities from time to time ( roadworks ). The vast majority of these passengers never look around or spend money in Southampton and therefore Southampton gains no appreciable benefit from them, they are purely clogging up the roads to the cruise ship bus stops, in future however they may vote with their feet and complain to the cruise companies that this time, enough is enough and the cruise companies who have no particular loyalty may st5arting basing ships in other more interesting and closer ports to their customers.[/p][/quote]I've been to Liverpool I've seen how busy the Strand can get what would happen if cruise ships went there? I get where your coming from & I'm looking to move either up to Liverpool or to Thailand but let's get it straight you have a massive shopping area called Liverpool1 where are the car parks? we have them but I noticed relatively none compared to this city? where are the green spaces next to your terminal? you see your not perfect but if the residents & the paper of this city keep on complaining & blaming the cruise ships you might get your wish! does it rain a lot in Liverpool?[/p][/quote]There is a 3,000 space underground carpark built beneath Chavasse Park within Liverpool One. The entrance is via an underground slip road off the Strand near The Albert Dock. The John Lewis department store also has its own multi-storey car park next to the store and there are other carparks nearby.[/p][/quote]saw the one at John Lewis but didn't realise it was that big so thank you. I asked about the rain as I've been verbally attacked when I've said we might move to Liverpool & the weather was given as a reason not to move there so what's it like? loosehead
  • Score: 0

9:33am Sun 12 Jan 14

in search of the truth says...

loosehead wrote:
in search of the truth wrote:
loosehead wrote:
in search of the truth wrote:
Market forces will sort this mess out.
When the cruise passengers put in their complaints to the cruise operators and an analysis of passenger addresses is made the cruise companies will quickly realise that some of the ships should be based at other home ports than Southampton. The fact that people are expected to travel hundreds of miles in order to pick up a cruise ship at the cruise ship bus stops situated in Southampton is utterly ridiculous and this farce highlights the fact to existing passengers, potential passengers and the cruise lines.
There is very little in Southampton to interest to cruise passengers who are in transit, it's hardly an international city with a cultural diversity where one might stay for any period before or after a cruise, after this little episode it is clear that Southampton cannot cope with problems that affect most cities from time to time ( roadworks ).
The vast majority of these passengers never look around or spend money in Southampton and therefore Southampton gains no appreciable benefit from them, they are purely clogging up the roads to the cruise ship bus stops, in future however they may vote with their feet and complain to the cruise companies that this time, enough is enough and the cruise companies who have no particular loyalty may st5arting basing ships in other more interesting and closer ports to their customers.
I've been to Liverpool I've seen how busy the Strand can get what would happen if cruise ships went there?
I get where your coming from & I'm looking to move either up to Liverpool or to Thailand but let's get it straight you have a massive shopping area called Liverpool1 where are the car parks? we have them but I noticed relatively none compared to this city?
where are the green spaces next to your terminal? you see your not perfect but if the residents & the paper of this city keep on complaining & blaming the cruise ships you might get your wish!
does it rain a lot in Liverpool?
There is a 3,000 space underground carpark built beneath Chavasse Park within Liverpool One. The entrance is via an underground slip road off the Strand near The Albert Dock. The John Lewis department store also has its own multi-storey car park next to the store and there are other carparks nearby.
saw the one at John Lewis but didn't realise it was that big so thank you.
I asked about the rain as I've been verbally attacked when I've said we might move to Liverpool & the weather was given as a reason not to move there so what's it like?
Liverpool benefits from the Gulf Stream and has very mild winters with snow on very rare occasions, any snow usually lasts for only a day at most.
Liverpool is sheltered by the the high ground in North Wales and most rain bearing cloud passes over Liverpool , tending to fall just west of the Penines hence Manchester is notoriously known for its constant rain.
I lived in Coventry for 2 years in the 1970's and they had terribly cold wet winters and fog that hung around constantly all day long. We have mild winters and any fog which is rare ( possibly once or twice a year ) tends to clear within an hour or so.
[quote][p][bold]loosehead[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]in search of the truth[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loosehead[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]in search of the truth[/bold] wrote: Market forces will sort this mess out. When the cruise passengers put in their complaints to the cruise operators and an analysis of passenger addresses is made the cruise companies will quickly realise that some of the ships should be based at other home ports than Southampton. The fact that people are expected to travel hundreds of miles in order to pick up a cruise ship at the cruise ship bus stops situated in Southampton is utterly ridiculous and this farce highlights the fact to existing passengers, potential passengers and the cruise lines. There is very little in Southampton to interest to cruise passengers who are in transit, it's hardly an international city with a cultural diversity where one might stay for any period before or after a cruise, after this little episode it is clear that Southampton cannot cope with problems that affect most cities from time to time ( roadworks ). The vast majority of these passengers never look around or spend money in Southampton and therefore Southampton gains no appreciable benefit from them, they are purely clogging up the roads to the cruise ship bus stops, in future however they may vote with their feet and complain to the cruise companies that this time, enough is enough and the cruise companies who have no particular loyalty may st5arting basing ships in other more interesting and closer ports to their customers.[/p][/quote]I've been to Liverpool I've seen how busy the Strand can get what would happen if cruise ships went there? I get where your coming from & I'm looking to move either up to Liverpool or to Thailand but let's get it straight you have a massive shopping area called Liverpool1 where are the car parks? we have them but I noticed relatively none compared to this city? where are the green spaces next to your terminal? you see your not perfect but if the residents & the paper of this city keep on complaining & blaming the cruise ships you might get your wish! does it rain a lot in Liverpool?[/p][/quote]There is a 3,000 space underground carpark built beneath Chavasse Park within Liverpool One. The entrance is via an underground slip road off the Strand near The Albert Dock. The John Lewis department store also has its own multi-storey car park next to the store and there are other carparks nearby.[/p][/quote]saw the one at John Lewis but didn't realise it was that big so thank you. I asked about the rain as I've been verbally attacked when I've said we might move to Liverpool & the weather was given as a reason not to move there so what's it like?[/p][/quote]Liverpool benefits from the Gulf Stream and has very mild winters with snow on very rare occasions, any snow usually lasts for only a day at most. Liverpool is sheltered by the the high ground in North Wales and most rain bearing cloud passes over Liverpool , tending to fall just west of the Penines hence Manchester is notoriously known for its constant rain. I lived in Coventry for 2 years in the 1970's and they had terribly cold wet winters and fog that hung around constantly all day long. We have mild winters and any fog which is rare ( possibly once or twice a year ) tends to clear within an hour or so. in search of the truth
  • Score: 3

1:23pm Sun 12 Jan 14

loosehead says...

in search of the truth wrote:
loosehead wrote:
in search of the truth wrote:
loosehead wrote:
in search of the truth wrote:
Market forces will sort this mess out.
When the cruise passengers put in their complaints to the cruise operators and an analysis of passenger addresses is made the cruise companies will quickly realise that some of the ships should be based at other home ports than Southampton. The fact that people are expected to travel hundreds of miles in order to pick up a cruise ship at the cruise ship bus stops situated in Southampton is utterly ridiculous and this farce highlights the fact to existing passengers, potential passengers and the cruise lines.
There is very little in Southampton to interest to cruise passengers who are in transit, it's hardly an international city with a cultural diversity where one might stay for any period before or after a cruise, after this little episode it is clear that Southampton cannot cope with problems that affect most cities from time to time ( roadworks ).
The vast majority of these passengers never look around or spend money in Southampton and therefore Southampton gains no appreciable benefit from them, they are purely clogging up the roads to the cruise ship bus stops, in future however they may vote with their feet and complain to the cruise companies that this time, enough is enough and the cruise companies who have no particular loyalty may st5arting basing ships in other more interesting and closer ports to their customers.
I've been to Liverpool I've seen how busy the Strand can get what would happen if cruise ships went there?
I get where your coming from & I'm looking to move either up to Liverpool or to Thailand but let's get it straight you have a massive shopping area called Liverpool1 where are the car parks? we have them but I noticed relatively none compared to this city?
where are the green spaces next to your terminal? you see your not perfect but if the residents & the paper of this city keep on complaining & blaming the cruise ships you might get your wish!
does it rain a lot in Liverpool?
There is a 3,000 space underground carpark built beneath Chavasse Park within Liverpool One. The entrance is via an underground slip road off the Strand near The Albert Dock. The John Lewis department store also has its own multi-storey car park next to the store and there are other carparks nearby.
saw the one at John Lewis but didn't realise it was that big so thank you.
I asked about the rain as I've been verbally attacked when I've said we might move to Liverpool & the weather was given as a reason not to move there so what's it like?
Liverpool benefits from the Gulf Stream and has very mild winters with snow on very rare occasions, any snow usually lasts for only a day at most.
Liverpool is sheltered by the the high ground in North Wales and most rain bearing cloud passes over Liverpool , tending to fall just west of the Penines hence Manchester is notoriously known for its constant rain.
I lived in Coventry for 2 years in the 1970's and they had terribly cold wet winters and fog that hung around constantly all day long. We have mild winters and any fog which is rare ( possibly once or twice a year ) tends to clear within an hour or so.
Well thank you that helps me out considerably. my wifes Thai & can't stand our winters & the attacks about the weather scared her so thank you for the above!
I hope both cities can work together to the good for both of them if it means any way in which ABP can send trade to Liverpool with out adversely effecting this Port then let it happen.
The first thing that happened to me when I went there & jumped into a Taxi was a question of where I'm from then I was told We hated Liverpool & it's peoples, I replied NO the Politicians have c=cked up & the papers have jumped on paper selling headlines that's what's happening.
luckily we went on to house prices here & there & he was shocked at our prices
[quote][p][bold]in search of the truth[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loosehead[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]in search of the truth[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loosehead[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]in search of the truth[/bold] wrote: Market forces will sort this mess out. When the cruise passengers put in their complaints to the cruise operators and an analysis of passenger addresses is made the cruise companies will quickly realise that some of the ships should be based at other home ports than Southampton. The fact that people are expected to travel hundreds of miles in order to pick up a cruise ship at the cruise ship bus stops situated in Southampton is utterly ridiculous and this farce highlights the fact to existing passengers, potential passengers and the cruise lines. There is very little in Southampton to interest to cruise passengers who are in transit, it's hardly an international city with a cultural diversity where one might stay for any period before or after a cruise, after this little episode it is clear that Southampton cannot cope with problems that affect most cities from time to time ( roadworks ). The vast majority of these passengers never look around or spend money in Southampton and therefore Southampton gains no appreciable benefit from them, they are purely clogging up the roads to the cruise ship bus stops, in future however they may vote with their feet and complain to the cruise companies that this time, enough is enough and the cruise companies who have no particular loyalty may st5arting basing ships in other more interesting and closer ports to their customers.[/p][/quote]I've been to Liverpool I've seen how busy the Strand can get what would happen if cruise ships went there? I get where your coming from & I'm looking to move either up to Liverpool or to Thailand but let's get it straight you have a massive shopping area called Liverpool1 where are the car parks? we have them but I noticed relatively none compared to this city? where are the green spaces next to your terminal? you see your not perfect but if the residents & the paper of this city keep on complaining & blaming the cruise ships you might get your wish! does it rain a lot in Liverpool?[/p][/quote]There is a 3,000 space underground carpark built beneath Chavasse Park within Liverpool One. The entrance is via an underground slip road off the Strand near The Albert Dock. The John Lewis department store also has its own multi-storey car park next to the store and there are other carparks nearby.[/p][/quote]saw the one at John Lewis but didn't realise it was that big so thank you. I asked about the rain as I've been verbally attacked when I've said we might move to Liverpool & the weather was given as a reason not to move there so what's it like?[/p][/quote]Liverpool benefits from the Gulf Stream and has very mild winters with snow on very rare occasions, any snow usually lasts for only a day at most. Liverpool is sheltered by the the high ground in North Wales and most rain bearing cloud passes over Liverpool , tending to fall just west of the Penines hence Manchester is notoriously known for its constant rain. I lived in Coventry for 2 years in the 1970's and they had terribly cold wet winters and fog that hung around constantly all day long. We have mild winters and any fog which is rare ( possibly once or twice a year ) tends to clear within an hour or so.[/p][/quote]Well thank you that helps me out considerably. my wifes Thai & can't stand our winters & the attacks about the weather scared her so thank you for the above! I hope both cities can work together to the good for both of them if it means any way in which ABP can send trade to Liverpool with out adversely effecting this Port then let it happen. The first thing that happened to me when I went there & jumped into a Taxi was a question of where I'm from then I was told We hated Liverpool & it's peoples, I replied NO the Politicians have c=cked up & the papers have jumped on paper selling headlines that's what's happening. luckily we went on to house prices here & there & he was shocked at our prices loosehead
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree