AN investigation was underway today into a house fire in which three people had to be dramatically rescued.

The blaze broke out at a house in South Street, Hythe, yesterday morning and three crews from Hythe, Hardley and Lyndhurst were sent to the scene.

Firefighters fought their way into the property and pulled three occupants out of the house which did not have smoke alarms fitted.

Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service say the fire started at the back of the house and it's cause is now central to a detailed investigation.

The residents were treated for smoke inhalation and handed over to the care of South Central Ambulance Service.

Crews used two sets of breathing apparatus, one hose reel and two jets to extinguish the fire.

Group manager Dan Tasker, who was in charge of the fire, said the property was not fitted with smoke detectors.

He said: “There was no early warning of fire.“This could have been much worse and quite possible fatal for the three people we managed to rescue.

“I cannot stress enough how important it is to have smoke detectors fitted in your property.”