A JUDGE paid tribute to the skill of doctors at Southampton General Hospital after jailing two brothers for four and a half years following a gruesome attack on a Southampton man in his home.

Bruce Tyrrell suffered horrific injuries to an arm, head and back after being repeatedly hit with broken bottles, which has left him with long term psychological issues.

His attackers also suffered facial injuries in the incident as their victim fought back trying to protect himself.

What led to the attack was unclear as the city crown court heard of conflicting accounts from witnesses.

But what was certain was that after an initial confrontation outside his Milton Road home, the victim rushed indoors. However the front door could not be locked and the brothers, Lance and John Egan, followed him inside.

Mr Tyrrell ran up the stairs. Inside, the brothers grabbed bottles which were smashed and severely cut him.

Daily Echo:

Judge Peter Ralls QC told the pair, who had admitted wounding: “It is no exaggeration to say I have rarely seen such injuries encompassed in such a charge.”

He added: “It is a credit to the skill of the surgeons that they were able to piece him back together after he had suffered such serious wounds.”

 Both were jailed for three years for the attack.

The court heard each was also injured in the drama.

John Egan was stabbed and paramedics had to chase Lance Egan down the road with blood pouring from his head. He needed six stitches for a cut forehead.

John Egan, 25, of Barters Close, Southampton, also pleaded guilty to a racially aggravated assault on a man walking home down an alleyway late at night.

Prosecutor Mary Aspinall-Miles described how Ricardo Co – who has since returned to Brazil – was confronted by Egan and two others who punched and kicked him before he was bitten on the head. The trio then walked off.

Egan received a consecutive term of 18 months for that assault.

The judge also gave Lance Egan, 24, of Milton Road, a further 18 months behind bars for breaching a suspended sentence imposed at the same court for burglary.

Mark Florida-James, defending, said John Egan had clearly suffered a stab wound. He had a bad record with alcohol and drug issues. He could remember little about the racially aggravated assault.

For Lance Egan, Benjamin Gordon told the court of his difficult upbringing and how he found it hard controlling his temper and emotions. He was also making progress tackling his drug problems.

John Egan had 18 previous convictions for 25 offences and Lance Egan 26 convictions for 50 offences.