A MOTORCYCLIST has died after colliding with another biker and a horse on a major Hampshire road.

Both men were rushed to hospital but police have confirmed that one has now died as a result of his injuries. 

The other motorcyclist is still in a "serious condition".

The A31 westbound is still close as police continue their investigation into the crash, which happened shortly after 6.15pm.

The circumstances of the collision and how the horse came to be on the road are under investigation.

The man's next of kin have been informed of his death.

Hundreds of motorists were left trapped in their cars as the emergency services flooded the scene, half-a-mile east of Picket Post.

Several hours after the collision police created a route through the debris caused by a crash in a bid to free the drivers who have been trapped on the A31 since 5.30pm this evening.

The crash happened an hour after the escaped horse had already brought traffic to a standstill.

Those trapped on the A31 were warned that the road would be closed for several more hours, fearing a long night stuck in their cars, but slowly motorists are being guided past the crash site.

Daily Echo editor Ian Murray, who had been stuck in his car for more than three hours, said: “Police  created a route through the debris left by two motorcyclists that appeared to have crashed.

“Drivers had to drive carefully through scattered parts of the bikes using both lanes, with police using flash lights to direct the traffic.

“The two bikes, one yellow and one red, were lying on their sides, on opposite sides of the road on the westbound side of the dual carriageway, with a great deal of small sections of the machines scattered everywhere.”

All the ambulances have left the scene.

At one time least a dozen emergency vehicles were seen heading the scene.
Police officers were seen searching the undergrowth along the road as fed-up motorists get out of their cars whilst stuck in the gridlock.

The incident is still causing huge delays for motorists heading from Southampton on to Bournemouth, who are being advised to find another route home.

The incident also caused chaos across the New Forest with huge tailbacks getting into Lyndhurst at Emery Down.

Anyone who witnessed the incident should contact Eastleigh Roads Policing Unit by calling 101.