Burglars took equipment containing the toxic substance from building site in Southampton

Daily Echo: Health alert after burglars steal deadly asbestos by mistake Health alert after burglars steal deadly asbestos by mistake

THIEVES have been urged to get medical help - after they stole equipment containing potentially deadly asbestos.

Police in Southampton are warning burglars not to open up some equipment they stole from a break-in at a building site in Southampton because it contains the hazardous material.

In all more the £11,000 worth of equipment, from Dewalt drills and Karacher jet washers to grinders, were take from the site at Somborne House in Weston Lane between 3.45 pm on Wednesday, January 22 and 7.45am on Thursday, January 23.

The site is currently being prepared for demolition and a specialist company are removing asbestos. Among the items taken were two negative pressure units which are used to collect asbestos dust and particles.

They are 18 inches by 18 inches and marked 'Caution Asbestos Hazard'.

When stolen they contained asbestos and when full are sent away to be emptied. If they are opened by the burglars they will be contaminated by the potentially deadly substance.

Officers are warning the burglars not to open them and let them know where they are so they can be dealt with properly.

They are also advising them that if they have opened the machines they should carefully bag up and dispose of any clothes they were wearing as they may have the dangerous particles on them which could affect them or anyone else they come into close contact with.

They should also seek medical advice as exposure to even a tiny amount of asbestos dust can cause serious illness in the long term.

Police would also like to hear from anyone who thinks they may have been offered any of the equipment for sale or has any information about the crime.

They are asked to call Bitterne police on 101 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Comments (15)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:18pm Mon 27 Jan 14

sotonbusdriver says...

Serves them right for stealing it in the first place...
Got no sympathy for them, if they suffer from health problems as a result to stealing the equipment...
Serves them right for stealing it in the first place... Got no sympathy for them, if they suffer from health problems as a result to stealing the equipment... sotonbusdriver
  • Score: 37

4:18pm Mon 27 Jan 14

Mary80 says...

Serves them right for being thieves
Serves them right for being thieves Mary80
  • Score: 30

4:22pm Mon 27 Jan 14

Heathfield Mum says...

Bet they end up suing the builders for leaving it on site!
Bet they end up suing the builders for leaving it on site! Heathfield Mum
  • Score: 18

5:28pm Mon 27 Jan 14

gilbertratchet says...

All well and good saying "serves them right" but think for a bit what they might be doing with it. The chances that the thieves will be the only people to come into contact with this stuff are practically zero. Innocent people are going to be affected too.
All well and good saying "serves them right" but think for a bit what they might be doing with it. The chances that the thieves will be the only people to come into contact with this stuff are practically zero. Innocent people are going to be affected too. gilbertratchet
  • Score: 14

5:42pm Mon 27 Jan 14

Linesman says...

No need to take them to court, if they open the bags they will have a life sentence.
No need to take them to court, if they open the bags they will have a life sentence. Linesman
  • Score: 5

5:51pm Mon 27 Jan 14

bullsbags says...

gilbertratchet wrote:
All well and good saying "serves them right" but think for a bit what they might be doing with it. The chances that the thieves will be the only people to come into contact with this stuff are practically zero. Innocent people are going to be affected too.
By innocent people , do you mean those who purchase the items knowing they are stolen?
[quote][p][bold]gilbertratchet[/bold] wrote: All well and good saying "serves them right" but think for a bit what they might be doing with it. The chances that the thieves will be the only people to come into contact with this stuff are practically zero. Innocent people are going to be affected too.[/p][/quote]By innocent people , do you mean those who purchase the items knowing they are stolen? bullsbags
  • Score: 9

5:52pm Mon 27 Jan 14

kiddynamite says...

Ha Ha thieving low life! Hope you get seriously ill. Ill sleep well tonight!
Ha Ha thieving low life! Hope you get seriously ill. Ill sleep well tonight! kiddynamite
  • Score: 1

6:00pm Mon 27 Jan 14

Charlie Bucket says...

bullsbags wrote:
gilbertratchet wrote:
All well and good saying "serves them right" but think for a bit what they might be doing with it. The chances that the thieves will be the only people to come into contact with this stuff are practically zero. Innocent people are going to be affected too.
By innocent people , do you mean those who purchase the items knowing they are stolen?
No. Don't be such a moron. You really think nobody else other than criminals is going to be affected? One of the little scrotes takes it home and hides it in the bedroom he shares with his little brother, maybe? Or hides it in the bushes somewhere in a field, where a passer-by finds them? Think it through for once you plum.
[quote][p][bold]bullsbags[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]gilbertratchet[/bold] wrote: All well and good saying "serves them right" but think for a bit what they might be doing with it. The chances that the thieves will be the only people to come into contact with this stuff are practically zero. Innocent people are going to be affected too.[/p][/quote]By innocent people , do you mean those who purchase the items knowing they are stolen?[/p][/quote]No. Don't be such a moron. You really think nobody else other than criminals is going to be affected? One of the little scrotes takes it home and hides it in the bedroom he shares with his little brother, maybe? Or hides it in the bushes somewhere in a field, where a passer-by finds them? Think it through for once you plum. Charlie Bucket
  • Score: 0

6:00pm Mon 27 Jan 14

Charlie Bucket says...

Another day another thread proving the Echo readership can't generally think their way out of a paper bag.
Another day another thread proving the Echo readership can't generally think their way out of a paper bag. Charlie Bucket
  • Score: 5

6:19pm Mon 27 Jan 14

bullsbags says...

Charlie Bucket wrote:
bullsbags wrote:
gilbertratchet wrote:
All well and good saying "serves them right" but think for a bit what they might be doing with it. The chances that the thieves will be the only people to come into contact with this stuff are practically zero. Innocent people are going to be affected too.
By innocent people , do you mean those who purchase the items knowing they are stolen?
No. Don't be such a moron. You really think nobody else other than criminals is going to be affected? One of the little scrotes takes it home and hides it in the bedroom he shares with his little brother, maybe? Or hides it in the bushes somewhere in a field, where a passer-by finds them? Think it through for once you plum.
Easy tiger.
Completely agree with what you say.The point I was trying to make was that the people who purchase the stolen goods are as bad,if not worse than the people who steel the goods.At least the people who steel have got the balls to do so.
[quote][p][bold]Charlie Bucket[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bullsbags[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]gilbertratchet[/bold] wrote: All well and good saying "serves them right" but think for a bit what they might be doing with it. The chances that the thieves will be the only people to come into contact with this stuff are practically zero. Innocent people are going to be affected too.[/p][/quote]By innocent people , do you mean those who purchase the items knowing they are stolen?[/p][/quote]No. Don't be such a moron. You really think nobody else other than criminals is going to be affected? One of the little scrotes takes it home and hides it in the bedroom he shares with his little brother, maybe? Or hides it in the bushes somewhere in a field, where a passer-by finds them? Think it through for once you plum.[/p][/quote]Easy tiger. Completely agree with what you say.The point I was trying to make was that the people who purchase the stolen goods are as bad,if not worse than the people who steel the goods.At least the people who steel have got the balls to do so. bullsbags
  • Score: 2

7:32pm Mon 27 Jan 14

Mary80 says...

If the items say it contains asbestos why bloody nick it in the first place then
If the items say it contains asbestos why bloody nick it in the first place then Mary80
  • Score: -4

11:45pm Mon 27 Jan 14

azzyman says...

I've never read so much rubbish in all my life where did the echo get their facts about the asbestos contamination from maybe they should contact an expert before writing such carp
I've never read so much rubbish in all my life where did the echo get their facts about the asbestos contamination from maybe they should contact an expert before writing such carp azzyman
  • Score: -1

11:47pm Mon 27 Jan 14

azzyman says...

azzyman wrote:
I've never read so much rubbish in all my life where did the echo get their facts about the asbestos contamination from maybe they should contact an expert before writing such carp
Crap bloody text
[quote][p][bold]azzyman[/bold] wrote: I've never read so much rubbish in all my life where did the echo get their facts about the asbestos contamination from maybe they should contact an expert before writing such carp[/p][/quote]Crap bloody text azzyman
  • Score: 3

7:09pm Tue 28 Jan 14

cliffwalker says...

azzyman wrote:
azzyman wrote:
I've never read so much rubbish in all my life where did the echo get their facts about the asbestos contamination from maybe they should contact an expert before writing such carp
Crap bloody text
The article says they are passing on a warning from the police who got their information from the specialist asbestos removal company. Where do you get your facts from?
[quote][p][bold]azzyman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]azzyman[/bold] wrote: I've never read so much rubbish in all my life where did the echo get their facts about the asbestos contamination from maybe they should contact an expert before writing such carp[/p][/quote]Crap bloody text[/p][/quote]The article says they are passing on a warning from the police who got their information from the specialist asbestos removal company. Where do you get your facts from? cliffwalker
  • Score: -1

11:15pm Tue 28 Jan 14

azzyman says...

cliffwalker wrote:
azzyman wrote:
azzyman wrote:
I've never read so much rubbish in all my life where did the echo get their facts about the asbestos contamination from maybe they should contact an expert before writing such carp
Crap bloody text
The article says they are passing on a warning from the police who got their information from the specialist asbestos removal company. Where do you get your facts from?
Well being in the asbestos removal industry for 25 years and owning my own company and holding a full H S E licence I think I'm more in the know than you, this story is so factually wrong it's untrue
[quote][p][bold]cliffwalker[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]azzyman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]azzyman[/bold] wrote: I've never read so much rubbish in all my life where did the echo get their facts about the asbestos contamination from maybe they should contact an expert before writing such carp[/p][/quote]Crap bloody text[/p][/quote]The article says they are passing on a warning from the police who got their information from the specialist asbestos removal company. Where do you get your facts from?[/p][/quote]Well being in the asbestos removal industry for 25 years and owning my own company and holding a full H S E licence I think I'm more in the know than you, this story is so factually wrong it's untrue azzyman
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree