60 new homes could be approved despite fears

An artist's impression of the plans

An artist's impression of the plans

First published in News Daily Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Eastleigh Chief Reporter

CONTROVERSIAL plans for 60 new homes look set for the nod – despite fears building work could result in “undignified” funeral services at a neighbouring cemetery.

Developers want to build the homes on greenfield land at Stoke Park Farm, Bishopstoke even though scores of residents have opposed the idea.

As previously reported, the 7.8 hectares of land – at a dairy farm – would be bulldozed to make way for up to 60 homes, new allotments and an extension to the village cemetery next door.

Planning experts have now recommended that the proposals should get the go ahead – even though more than 90 people who attended a public exhibition said building there was not appropriate.

Bishopstoke Parish Council has also objected to the scheme amid fears over drainage, excess traffic and the impact of educational and medical facilities in the area.

Both the council and the Stoke Residents Association have voiced fears that funerals could be disrupted during construction.

David Lovegrove, who launched the Don’t Choke Bishopstoke Campaign fighting against a number of proposals for the village, said: “It is a very private and tranquil and poignant area in the village and people are protesting against this development.

“Construction traffic could well impact on that tranquil funeral setting. If you have got two or three lorries carrying concrete rumbling past, it will clearly have an effect.”

But Mr Lovegrove said he was not hopeful that the decision would go his way when members of Bishopstoke, Fair Oak and Horton Heath Local Area Committee meet to discuss the plan on Wednesday.

He said scores of campaigners would still attend the meeting tonight to make their voices heard.

“We cannot just let councillors put their hands up at these meetings and let them say ‘we have done our best’ without being embarrassed about letting a community down.”

It comes after nearly 100 people crammed into a planning meeting and jeered as plans were given the go ahead for 85 homes off Church Road in the village.

The latest meeting takes place tonight at 7pm in Stoke Park Junior School.

Comments (2)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:09pm Wed 29 Jan 14

issacchunt says...

"Could"?????? Will more like.
"Could"?????? Will more like. issacchunt
  • Score: 2

5:48am Sat 1 Feb 14

nervousbumskin420 says...

and what is the betting they are all given away to 15 year old girls who have 5 kids, just for the cash...hmmm
and what is the betting they are all given away to 15 year old girls who have 5 kids, just for the cash...hmmm nervousbumskin420
  • Score: 2

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree