Plans for 100ft wind turbine in New Forest National Park

Plans for 100ft wind turbine in national park

Plans for 100ft wind turbine in national park

First published in News Daily Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Chief Reporter, New Forest

THEY are the controversial landmarks that always divide opinion.

Towering over the landscape, wind turbines are either loved or hated by people living nearby.

Now an energy firm is set to spark debate among residents in the New Forest after launching a bid to build the first turbine in the National Park.

Urban Wind wants to erect a 100ft structure on agricultural land between Totton and Netley Marsh to help meet the demand for green energy.

The company has applied for planning permission to redevelop a site at Upper Hanger Farm, a privately owned piece of land which is just inside the National Park boundary.

The National Park Authority (NPA) will have to decide if the potential benefits of the scheme would outweigh the visual impact of the 100kw device.

Members of the NPA’s planning committee include David Harrison, who is also a Totton councillor.

He said: “It’s the first time an application has been received for a wind turbine anywhere in the New Forest, so it’s bound to excite a lot of interest.

Wind turbines are one of those things people tend to love or hate.”

Another member of the committee, who did not want to be named, said the scheme, if approved, could pave the way for similar applications.

He added: “I would be more than a little surprised if it were given the go-ahead. “We cannot have the New Forest National Park dotted with wind turbines.

They’re an eyesore.”

But Paul McCullagh, chief executive of Urban Wind, defended the application.

He told the Daily Echo: “We’re proposing a small-scale turbine that will generate green electricity for the site, with any surplus being sold to the National Grid. This will help support the farmer and keep the farm viable.”

Mr McCullagh said the planned new turbine would be only a fraction of the size of those used on large-scale wind farms across the UK.

Urban Wind’s planning application says the turbine’s impact on the National Park would be “marginal”.

It adds: “The proposed site is located away from the fundamental landscape character of the park and from the conservation areas that contribute to the park’s cultural heritage.”

The application is due to be debated by Netley Marsh Parish Council on February 19.

Comments (11)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:45pm Fri 7 Feb 14

hulla baloo says...

One word answer. NO
One word answer. NO hulla baloo
  • Score: -2

2:51pm Fri 7 Feb 14

Rob444 says...

One word answer YES.
One word answer YES. Rob444
  • Score: -1

3:04pm Fri 7 Feb 14

LadySam says...

Ten word answer: Start of a very slippery slope if this is approved.
Ten word answer: Start of a very slippery slope if this is approved. LadySam
  • Score: 0

3:43pm Fri 7 Feb 14

Dan Soton says...

In one sentence.. Start of the end of people dying from respiratory pollution diseases in Southampton and the New forest..
In one sentence.. Start of the end of people dying from respiratory pollution diseases in Southampton and the New forest.. Dan Soton
  • Score: -2

3:49pm Fri 7 Feb 14

Positively4thStreet says...

This appears to be all about aesthetics basically.Even a full blown "wind farm" is hardly going to be as ugly as Fawley oil refinery,or Marchwood power station.
What we need to remember, is that to today's society,electricity is every bit as precious as water,and we would all be in serious trouble without it.So we should welcome any method of producing it in as clean,economical and environmentally friendly way,possible.
This appears to be all about aesthetics basically.Even a full blown "wind farm" is hardly going to be as ugly as Fawley oil refinery,or Marchwood power station. What we need to remember, is that to today's society,electricity is every bit as precious as water,and we would all be in serious trouble without it.So we should welcome any method of producing it in as clean,economical and environmentally friendly way,possible. Positively4thStreet
  • Score: 1

4:01pm Fri 7 Feb 14

befriendly says...

The only reason they want to erect it is to receive the subsidy. On its own it would never be economical as it will at best only run for, enough wind permitting, half a year in total and will consume energy when its not running just to monitor itself. You need only look at the north sea venture that was scraped because the government cut the subsidy. The NPA should ask for guaranteed production figures and not the vague up to five thousand homes one the developer will use. Get the truth from the developer and not vague guesses based on guess work. I researched fitting solar panels and what I would have saved in bills was swallowed up by the initial cost as solar panels are only good for about twenty years and it would take that long to recoup my initial outlay.
The only reason they want to erect it is to receive the subsidy. On its own it would never be economical as it will at best only run for, enough wind permitting, half a year in total and will consume energy when its not running just to monitor itself. You need only look at the north sea venture that was scraped because the government cut the subsidy. The NPA should ask for guaranteed production figures and not the vague up to five thousand homes one the developer will use. Get the truth from the developer and not vague guesses based on guess work. I researched fitting solar panels and what I would have saved in bills was swallowed up by the initial cost as solar panels are only good for about twenty years and it would take that long to recoup my initial outlay. befriendly
  • Score: 5

4:05pm Fri 7 Feb 14

Brock_and_Roll says...

Positively4thStreet wrote:
This appears to be all about aesthetics basically.Even a full blown "wind farm" is hardly going to be as ugly as Fawley oil refinery,or Marchwood power station. What we need to remember, is that to today's society,electricity is every bit as precious as water,and we would all be in serious trouble without it.So we should welcome any method of producing it in as clean,economical and environmentally friendly way,possible.
...or indeed as ugly as Totton itself!
[quote][p][bold]Positively4thStreet[/bold] wrote: This appears to be all about aesthetics basically.Even a full blown "wind farm" is hardly going to be as ugly as Fawley oil refinery,or Marchwood power station. What we need to remember, is that to today's society,electricity is every bit as precious as water,and we would all be in serious trouble without it.So we should welcome any method of producing it in as clean,economical and environmentally friendly way,possible.[/p][/quote]...or indeed as ugly as Totton itself! Brock_and_Roll
  • Score: -1

6:47pm Fri 7 Feb 14

Dan Soton says...

Dan Soton wrote:
In one sentence.. Start of the end of people dying from respiratory pollution diseases in Southampton and the New forest..
Who wants to be dragged back to the 1700s and pre the Industrial Revolution ?


A far as I'm concerned.. if you're Anti Solar/Wind power you're for the likes of Helius and their land grabbing, pollution generating timber/grass incinerators..

According to Siemens.. one 246 feet turbine produces up to six megawatts of electricity, enough power to service 6,000 households, 300 are to be erected in the UK this year..

That's 1,800,000 million homes supplied with non polluting wind power.

On the other hand Helius needs 120,000 acres of Wood/Miscanthus grass per year to keep 20,000 homes supplied with power/lights..

That's 10,800,00 million acres of agricultural land wasted supplying pollution generating power to the same 1,800,000 million homes.

TO PUT ALL THOSE MILLIONS OF WASTED ACRES INTO CONTEXT

From Wikipedia..The total area of UK agricultural holdings is about 43 million acres including rough grazing land, of which 15.3 million acres are arable

http://en.wikipedia.
org/wiki/Agriculture
_in_the_United_Kingd
om
[quote][p][bold]Dan Soton[/bold] wrote: In one sentence.. Start of the end of people dying from respiratory pollution diseases in Southampton and the New forest..[/p][/quote]Who wants to be dragged back to the 1700s and pre the Industrial Revolution ? A far as I'm concerned.. if you're Anti Solar/Wind power you're for the likes of Helius and their land grabbing, pollution generating timber/grass incinerators.. According to Siemens.. one 246 feet turbine produces up to six megawatts of electricity, enough power to service 6,000 households, 300 are to be erected in the UK this year.. That's 1,800,000 million homes supplied with non polluting wind power. On the other hand Helius needs 120,000 acres of Wood/Miscanthus grass per year to keep 20,000 homes supplied with power/lights.. That's 10,800,00 million acres of agricultural land wasted supplying pollution generating power to the same 1,800,000 million homes. TO PUT ALL THOSE MILLIONS OF WASTED ACRES INTO CONTEXT From Wikipedia..The total area of UK agricultural holdings is about 43 million acres including rough grazing land, of which 15.3 million acres are arable http://en.wikipedia. org/wiki/Agriculture _in_the_United_Kingd om Dan Soton
  • Score: 1

10:00pm Fri 7 Feb 14

Saxon5 says...

Lets face it, the new forest is sandy boggy wasteland, nothing grows there apart from manky ponies and nimbys, let those windmills roll. Beats wasting arable land to grow biomass or would you prefer to be fracked (in the short term)?
Lets face it, the new forest is sandy boggy wasteland, nothing grows there apart from manky ponies and nimbys, let those windmills roll. Beats wasting arable land to grow biomass or would you prefer to be fracked (in the short term)? Saxon5
  • Score: -2

5:53pm Sat 8 Feb 14

Dan Soton says...

Dan Soton wrote:
Dan Soton wrote:
In one sentence.. Start of the end of people dying from respiratory pollution diseases in Southampton and the New forest..
Who wants to be dragged back to the 1700s and pre the Industrial Revolution ?


A far as I'm concerned.. if you're Anti Solar/Wind power you're for the likes of Helius and their land grabbing, pollution generating timber/grass incinerators..

According to Siemens.. one 246 feet turbine produces up to six megawatts of electricity, enough power to service 6,000 households, 300 are to be erected in the UK this year..

That's 1,800,000 million homes supplied with non polluting wind power.

On the other hand Helius needs 120,000 acres of Wood/Miscanthus grass per year to keep 20,000 homes supplied with power/lights..

That's 10,800,00 million acres of agricultural land wasted supplying pollution generating power to the same 1,800,000 million homes.

TO PUT ALL THOSE MILLIONS OF WASTED ACRES INTO CONTEXT

From Wikipedia..The total area of UK agricultural holdings is about 43 million acres including rough grazing land, of which 15.3 million acres are arable

http://en.wikipedia.

org/wiki/Agriculture

_in_the_United_Kingd

om
Update.. Helius needs to incinerate 13.7 m acres of biomass to power the same 1.8 m homes as 300 wind turbines.


Just 1.6 million acres shy of all the UKs 15.3 million Arable acres.

That’s if all the new to me (below) figures are correct.. i.e. avg. Miscanthus grass yields in Europe are 5.25 tons per acre.

And as stated by Helius... incinerating 800,000 tons of biomass per year supplies 20,000 Southampton homes with power.

-

THE FIRST DECADE: TEAM REPORTS ON US TRIALS OF BIOENERGY GRASSES

12/4/2013 | Diana Yates, Life Sciences Editor

The average annual yield of Miscanthus grown in seven Illinois locations over a period of eight to 10 years was 10.5 tons per acre, Miscanthus yields in Europe are about half of those reported in the Midwest

http://news.illinois
.edu/news/13/1204mis
canthus_StephenLong.
html

-


Saxon.. given burning land grown biomass crops is sending food prices sky high around the world, I prefer wind/solar power or fracking for natural gas..






,,
[quote][p][bold]Dan Soton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Dan Soton[/bold] wrote: In one sentence.. Start of the end of people dying from respiratory pollution diseases in Southampton and the New forest..[/p][/quote]Who wants to be dragged back to the 1700s and pre the Industrial Revolution ? A far as I'm concerned.. if you're Anti Solar/Wind power you're for the likes of Helius and their land grabbing, pollution generating timber/grass incinerators.. According to Siemens.. one 246 feet turbine produces up to six megawatts of electricity, enough power to service 6,000 households, 300 are to be erected in the UK this year.. That's 1,800,000 million homes supplied with non polluting wind power. On the other hand Helius needs 120,000 acres of Wood/Miscanthus grass per year to keep 20,000 homes supplied with power/lights.. That's 10,800,00 million acres of agricultural land wasted supplying pollution generating power to the same 1,800,000 million homes. TO PUT ALL THOSE MILLIONS OF WASTED ACRES INTO CONTEXT From Wikipedia..The total area of UK agricultural holdings is about 43 million acres including rough grazing land, of which 15.3 million acres are arable http://en.wikipedia. org/wiki/Agriculture _in_the_United_Kingd om[/p][/quote]Update.. Helius needs to incinerate 13.7 m acres of biomass to power the same 1.8 m homes as 300 wind turbines. Just 1.6 million acres shy of all the UKs 15.3 million Arable acres. That’s if all the new to me (below) figures are correct.. i.e. avg. Miscanthus grass yields in Europe are 5.25 tons per acre. And as stated by Helius... incinerating 800,000 tons of biomass per year supplies 20,000 Southampton homes with power. - THE FIRST DECADE: TEAM REPORTS ON US TRIALS OF BIOENERGY GRASSES 12/4/2013 | Diana Yates, Life Sciences Editor The average annual yield of Miscanthus grown in seven Illinois locations over a period of eight to 10 years was 10.5 tons per acre, Miscanthus yields in Europe are about half of those reported in the Midwest http://news.illinois .edu/news/13/1204mis canthus_StephenLong. html - Saxon.. given burning land grown biomass crops is sending food prices sky high around the world, I prefer wind/solar power or fracking for natural gas.. ,, Dan Soton
  • Score: 3

3:53pm Sat 15 Feb 14

Dan Soton says...

Dan Soton wrote:
Dan Soton wrote:
Dan Soton wrote:
In one sentence.. Start of the end of people dying from respiratory pollution diseases in Southampton and the New forest..
Who wants to be dragged back to the 1700s and pre the Industrial Revolution ?


A far as I'm concerned.. if you're Anti Solar/Wind power you're for the likes of Helius and their land grabbing, pollution generating timber/grass incinerators..

According to Siemens.. one 246 feet turbine produces up to six megawatts of electricity, enough power to service 6,000 households, 300 are to be erected in the UK this year..

That's 1,800,000 million homes supplied with non polluting wind power.

On the other hand Helius needs 120,000 acres of Wood/Miscanthus grass per year to keep 20,000 homes supplied with power/lights..

That's 10,800,00 million acres of agricultural land wasted supplying pollution generating power to the same 1,800,000 million homes.

TO PUT ALL THOSE MILLIONS OF WASTED ACRES INTO CONTEXT

From Wikipedia..The total area of UK agricultural holdings is about 43 million acres including rough grazing land, of which 15.3 million acres are arable

http://en.wikipedia.


org/wiki/Agriculture


_in_the_United_Kingd


om
Update.. Helius needs to incinerate 13.7 m acres of biomass to power the same 1.8 m homes as 300 wind turbines.


Just 1.6 million acres shy of all the UKs 15.3 million Arable acres.

That’s if all the new to me (below) figures are correct.. i.e. avg. Miscanthus grass yields in Europe are 5.25 tons per acre.

And as stated by Helius... incinerating 800,000 tons of biomass per year supplies 20,000 Southampton homes with power.

-

THE FIRST DECADE: TEAM REPORTS ON US TRIALS OF BIOENERGY GRASSES

12/4/2013 | Diana Yates, Life Sciences Editor

The average annual yield of Miscanthus grown in seven Illinois locations over a period of eight to 10 years was 10.5 tons per acre, Miscanthus yields in Europe are about half of those reported in the Midwest

http://news.illinois

.edu/news/13/1204mis

canthus_StephenLong.

html

-


Saxon.. given burning land grown biomass crops is sending food prices sky high around the world, I prefer wind/solar power or fracking for natural gas..






,,
Excuse me while I bang my own drum and reach for the sky



Every opportunity since July 2013 I've been banging on about offshore Fracking (at that time totally unheard of.. by me anyway) and now the possibility is here..




SHALE GAS PIONEER PLANS WORLD'S FIRST OFFSHORE WELLS IN IRISH SEA.

By Ben King.
Economics reporter, BBC News.
13 February 2014 Last updated at 06:40 .

The founder of shale gas firm Cuadrilla is planning a venture to frack in the Irish Sea, the BBC has learned.

Dr Chris Cornelius believes there are large volumes of offshore shale gas that could be extracted.

If successful, it would be the first such project in the world.

THE BRITISH GEOLOGICAL SURVEY HAS ESTIMATED THAT THE UK'S TOTAL OFFSHORE SHALE GAS RESOURCES COULD BE BETWEEN FIVE AND 10 TIMES THE SIZE OF THE RESOURCES AVAILABLE ONSHORE


-

http://www.bbc.co.uk
/news/business-26157
228





A few (taken from the meany) of my posts advocating Offshore Fracking

-


http://www.dailyecho
.co.uk/news/10585288
.Fracking_dangers_ar
e_simply____myth_ped
dling____says_MP/

-



http://www.dailyecho
.co.uk/news/10562020
.Thousands_of_fracki
ng_wells_to_be_dug_a
cross_Hampshire__war
ns_MP/

-


http://www.dailyecho
.co.uk/news/10578358
.Council__should_hav
e_policy_on_fracking
/




,,
[quote][p][bold]Dan Soton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Dan Soton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Dan Soton[/bold] wrote: In one sentence.. Start of the end of people dying from respiratory pollution diseases in Southampton and the New forest..[/p][/quote]Who wants to be dragged back to the 1700s and pre the Industrial Revolution ? A far as I'm concerned.. if you're Anti Solar/Wind power you're for the likes of Helius and their land grabbing, pollution generating timber/grass incinerators.. According to Siemens.. one 246 feet turbine produces up to six megawatts of electricity, enough power to service 6,000 households, 300 are to be erected in the UK this year.. That's 1,800,000 million homes supplied with non polluting wind power. On the other hand Helius needs 120,000 acres of Wood/Miscanthus grass per year to keep 20,000 homes supplied with power/lights.. That's 10,800,00 million acres of agricultural land wasted supplying pollution generating power to the same 1,800,000 million homes. TO PUT ALL THOSE MILLIONS OF WASTED ACRES INTO CONTEXT From Wikipedia..The total area of UK agricultural holdings is about 43 million acres including rough grazing land, of which 15.3 million acres are arable http://en.wikipedia. org/wiki/Agriculture _in_the_United_Kingd om[/p][/quote]Update.. Helius needs to incinerate 13.7 m acres of biomass to power the same 1.8 m homes as 300 wind turbines. Just 1.6 million acres shy of all the UKs 15.3 million Arable acres. That’s if all the new to me (below) figures are correct.. i.e. avg. Miscanthus grass yields in Europe are 5.25 tons per acre. And as stated by Helius... incinerating 800,000 tons of biomass per year supplies 20,000 Southampton homes with power. - THE FIRST DECADE: TEAM REPORTS ON US TRIALS OF BIOENERGY GRASSES 12/4/2013 | Diana Yates, Life Sciences Editor The average annual yield of Miscanthus grown in seven Illinois locations over a period of eight to 10 years was 10.5 tons per acre, Miscanthus yields in Europe are about half of those reported in the Midwest http://news.illinois .edu/news/13/1204mis canthus_StephenLong. html - Saxon.. given burning land grown biomass crops is sending food prices sky high around the world, I prefer wind/solar power or fracking for natural gas.. ,,[/p][/quote]Excuse me while I bang my own drum and reach for the sky Every opportunity since July 2013 I've been banging on about offshore Fracking (at that time totally unheard of.. by me anyway) and now the possibility is here.. SHALE GAS PIONEER PLANS WORLD'S FIRST OFFSHORE WELLS IN IRISH SEA. By Ben King. Economics reporter, BBC News. 13 February 2014 Last updated at 06:40 . The founder of shale gas firm Cuadrilla is planning a venture to frack in the Irish Sea, the BBC has learned. Dr Chris Cornelius believes there are large volumes of offshore shale gas that could be extracted. If successful, it would be the first such project in the world. THE BRITISH GEOLOGICAL SURVEY HAS ESTIMATED THAT THE UK'S TOTAL OFFSHORE SHALE GAS RESOURCES COULD BE BETWEEN FIVE AND 10 TIMES THE SIZE OF THE RESOURCES AVAILABLE ONSHORE - http://www.bbc.co.uk /news/business-26157 228 A few (taken from the meany) of my posts advocating Offshore Fracking - http://www.dailyecho .co.uk/news/10585288 .Fracking_dangers_ar e_simply____myth_ped dling____says_MP/ - http://www.dailyecho .co.uk/news/10562020 .Thousands_of_fracki ng_wells_to_be_dug_a cross_Hampshire__war ns_MP/ - http://www.dailyecho .co.uk/news/10578358 .Council__should_hav e_policy_on_fracking / ,, Dan Soton
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree