Thornhill residents' anger as bus route change leaves them 'isolated'

Daily Echo: Residents of Fairfax Court, Thornhill Residents of Fairfax Court, Thornhill

A group of Southampton residents are demanding the return of their bus route.

Thornhill residents are angry at the changes made by First Hampshire to its number 13 route earlier this year.

It used to begin and end in Thornhill but as of January the starting point changed to Harefield and began operating via Merryoak rather than Peartree Avenue.

The changes mean some residents are unable to get public transport to Ladies Walk doctors’ surgery, shops, the post office and schools.

Wheelchair user Diane Edworthy, of Hinkler Road, said: “I have to ask family or friends to drive me to the doctors because I cannot manage the hill. It takes an extra hour of your time to get anywhere now if you use the other buses and if I get a taxi I have to pay more for a disabled taxi because of my wheelchair.

“Before I could get on the no 13 and go to Bitterne and everything was fine but now I can barely get there and back before I run out of battery.”

Mrs Edworthy, 49, also runs a local support group Together Reducing Isolation Project in Thornhill.

She added: “The bus problem is having the opposite effect to what the group was set up for. We try to get people back in the community but by taking away the buses they are increasing isolation.”

Connie Hammett, 81, also of Hinkler Road, said: “I used the bus to go to the doctors’ surgery and to go to my retirement club and I used to rely on it. I cannot walk up to it because it is hill all the way. We are quite angry about this because it’s absolutely ridiculous.”

Rev Duncan Jennings, of St Christopher’s Church, Thornhill, added: “The impact on a whole range of the local population is very great. It’s one thing for people with bus passes to have to use three buses to get around but if you are a mum you will have to pay quite a lot more and it takes it out on your finances.”

Chrissie Bainbridge, general manager at First Hampshire, said: “Service changes are made to reflect current travel patterns and usage by customers. We apologise for any inconvenience to customers but unfortunately, it is not always possible to provide direct services everywhere. “We continue to review our services as a matter of routine and where sufficient demand is anticipated we will respond to it."

But good news may be around the corner as the city council are exploring subsidising a ‘hopper bus’ for Thornhill to take elderly residents and youngsters around the estate.

Speaking at a Thornhill community meeting earlier this month, Cllr Simon Letts said: “It will be a service either four, six or eight times a day. We have put out a tender and are looking for a good price to come in. As soon as we get more information I will let the community know.”

The proposed route would go in a circuit around Thornhill, starting and ending in Warburton Road and visiting the estate as well as Bitterne precinct.

Comments (4)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:59am Thu 27 Feb 14

wwozzer says...

It's a business, not a public service.
It's a business, not a public service. wwozzer
  • Score: -2

7:27pm Thu 27 Feb 14

georgemiller89 says...

Well First already withdrew the service and Bluestar don't seem to be interested in new routes, which leaves Velvet, Xelabus or Wheelers..

Velvet have already taken the S1 & S2 off First, so maybe they'll pick up this one too.
Well First already withdrew the service and Bluestar don't seem to be interested in new routes, which leaves Velvet, Xelabus or Wheelers.. Velvet have already taken the S1 & S2 off First, so maybe they'll pick up this one too. georgemiller89
  • Score: 0

12:05pm Fri 28 Feb 14

Outside of the Box says...

wwozzer wrote:
It's a business, not a public service.
10 out of 10 for stating the obvious, apart from that what was the point in your comment.

One half of the estate has been totally cut off by the withdrawing of this service, it used to have a Bluestar 19 service along the route as well, the affect on local people has been dreadful, with many left isolated.
[quote][p][bold]wwozzer[/bold] wrote: It's a business, not a public service.[/p][/quote]10 out of 10 for stating the obvious, apart from that what was the point in your comment. One half of the estate has been totally cut off by the withdrawing of this service, it used to have a Bluestar 19 service along the route as well, the affect on local people has been dreadful, with many left isolated. Outside of the Box
  • Score: 2

4:32pm Fri 28 Feb 14

Northamboy says...

I was working on Blueline when the 19 was scrapped and we couldn't understand why the company did away with the service. It was always busy taking people up to the doctors/shops/chemis
t etc.

The buses should be nationalised again as it was when I first started in the early 70s on Hants and Dorset. Alas a decent service and the bus station are long gone probably never to return.
I was working on Blueline when the 19 was scrapped and we couldn't understand why the company did away with the service. It was always busy taking people up to the doctors/shops/chemis t etc. The buses should be nationalised again as it was when I first started in the early 70s on Hants and Dorset. Alas a decent service and the bus station are long gone probably never to return. Northamboy
  • Score: 4

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree