Veteran labour politician Tony Benn dies

Daily Echo: Veteran labour politician Tony Benn dies Veteran labour politician Tony Benn dies

Veteran Labour politician Tony Benn has died at home at the age of 88, his family said today.

The former cabinet minister died this morning at his home in west London surrounded by family members.

In a statement his children Stephen, Hilary, Melissa and Joshua said: ''It is with great sadness that we announce that our father Tony Benn died peacefully early this morning at his home in west London surrounded by his family.

''We would like to express our heartfelt thanks to all the NHS staff and carers who have looked after him with such kindness in hospital and at home.

''We will miss above all his love which has sustained us throughout our lives. But we are comforted by the memory of his long, full and inspiring life and so proud of his devotion to helping others as he sought to change the world for the better.

''Arrangements for his funeral will be announced in due course.''

Labour leader Ed Miliband paid tribute to an ''iconic figure of our age''.
He said: ''He will be remembered as a champion of the powerless, a great parliamentarian and a conviction politician.

''Tony Benn spoke his mind and spoke up for his values. Whether you agreed with him or disagreed with him, everyone knew where he stood and what he stood for.

"'For someone of such strong views, often at odds with his party, he won respect from across the political spectrum.

''This was because of his unshakeable beliefs and his abiding determination that power and the powerful should be held to account.

''He believed in movements and mobilised people behind him for the causes he cared about, often unfashionable ones. In a world of politics that is often too small, he thought big about our country and our world.

''Above all, as I had cause to know, he was an incredibly kind man. I did work experience with him at the age of 16. I may have been just a teenager but he treated me as an equal. It was the nature of the man and the principle of his politics.

''I saw him for the last time a couple of weeks ago in hospital. He may have been ailing in body but was as sharp as ever in mind. As I left he said to me 'Well, old son. Let's have a proper talk when you have more time'.

''As he said of his wife Caroline at her funeral, he showed us how to live and how to die.

''All of my condolences go to his children Stephen, Hilary, Melissa and Joshua and his wider family. In their own ways, they are all a tribute to him as a father, a socialist, and a most decent human being.''

Comments (20)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:17am Fri 14 Mar 14

Zexagon says...

Used to like watching him dressing up in different clothes
Used to like watching him dressing up in different clothes Zexagon
  • Score: 2

8:02am Fri 14 Mar 14

miltonarcher says...

RIP. But Benn was a dangerous and misguided man. Take his trip to the Chinese embassy after Mao's death, recorded in an earlier volume of his diaries. He says that he was "a great admirer of Mao … he made mistakes, because everybody does". True enough. I certainly do. But unlike Mao my mistakes do not make me possibly the greatest mass killer in history.
RIP. But Benn was a dangerous and misguided man. Take his trip to the Chinese embassy after Mao's death, recorded in an earlier volume of his diaries. He says that he was "a great admirer of Mao … he made mistakes, because everybody does". True enough. I certainly do. But unlike Mao my mistakes do not make me possibly the greatest mass killer in history. miltonarcher
  • Score: 1

8:02am Fri 14 Mar 14

gilbertratchet says...

Zexagon wrote:
Used to like watching him dressing up in different clothes
I think you're thinking of Elton John.
[quote][p][bold]Zexagon[/bold] wrote: Used to like watching him dressing up in different clothes[/p][/quote]I think you're thinking of Elton John. gilbertratchet
  • Score: 4

8:55am Fri 14 Mar 14

good-gosh says...

Always a pleasure to listen to Benn - dedicated, dead straight, plain speaking, unruffable. The only labour man who ever came close to convincing nearly everyone that socialism could be good for you.
Always a pleasure to listen to Benn - dedicated, dead straight, plain speaking, unruffable. The only labour man who ever came close to convincing nearly everyone that socialism could be good for you. good-gosh
  • Score: 6

9:17am Fri 14 Mar 14

Raxx says...

RIP Wedgie.

A giant amongst men. A political colossus with more compassion and principle in his little finger than most of the rest of them put together.
RIP Wedgie. A giant amongst men. A political colossus with more compassion and principle in his little finger than most of the rest of them put together. Raxx
  • Score: 8

9:47am Fri 14 Mar 14

downfader says...

Where Benn had quality was that he spoke his mind, he wasn't a populist like many modern politicians. His philosophy was simply that ordinary people deserved better.

He asked important philosophical questions:

"..what power do you have; where did you get it; in whose interests do you exercise it; to whom are you accountable; and, how can we get rid of you? Anyone who cannot answer the last of those questions does not live in a democratic system..."
Where Benn had quality was that he spoke his mind, he wasn't a populist like many modern politicians. His philosophy was simply that ordinary people deserved better. He asked important philosophical questions: "..what power do you have; where did you get it; in whose interests do you exercise it; to whom are you accountable; and, how can we get rid of you? Anyone who cannot answer the last of those questions does not live in a democratic system..." downfader
  • Score: 9

10:34am Fri 14 Mar 14

Positively4thStreet says...

The best Prime Minister that Britain never had.
Rest in peace mate,because that's what you strived hard at all your life,to get for everyone.
The best Prime Minister that Britain never had. Rest in peace mate,because that's what you strived hard at all your life,to get for everyone. Positively4thStreet
  • Score: 3

10:43am Fri 14 Mar 14

southy says...

RIP Tony you work hard right up till the end for people rights and freedom.

Any one interested listen to this. He tells to many truths and was hated for it.
http://www.youtube.c
om/watch?v=qX-P4mx1F
LU
RIP Tony you work hard right up till the end for people rights and freedom. Any one interested listen to this. He tells to many truths and was hated for it. http://www.youtube.c om/watch?v=qX-P4mx1F LU southy
  • Score: -1

11:11am Fri 14 Mar 14

Paramjit Bahia says...

Real socialist Tony Benn highly principled man in tried his best to introduce accountability and honesty into mostly self serving exceptionally unreliable and very slippery political class. He always campaigned for equality humanity and welfare of under privileged.

One of the greatest icon of socialism will always be remembered and respected by many on the true left and history will prove him to be right while passing the harsh judgement on those who kept on portraying him as a bogy man.

As usual many hypocrites of NuLabour will be paying plenty of lip service and praising Benn now, as their Leader Miliband has done, but it will remain a matter of greatest shame for them because they not only failed to listen to him but in fact opposed him when he was alive.

R I P
Real socialist Tony Benn highly principled man in tried his best to introduce accountability and honesty into mostly self serving exceptionally unreliable and very slippery political class. He always campaigned for equality humanity and welfare of under privileged. One of the greatest icon of socialism will always be remembered and respected by many on the true left and history will prove him to be right while passing the harsh judgement on those who kept on portraying him as a bogy man. As usual many hypocrites of NuLabour will be paying plenty of lip service and praising Benn now, as their Leader Miliband has done, but it will remain a matter of greatest shame for them because they not only failed to listen to him but in fact opposed him when he was alive. R I P Paramjit Bahia
  • Score: 4

11:18am Fri 14 Mar 14

Torchie1 says...

southy wrote:
RIP Tony you work hard right up till the end for people rights and freedom.

Any one interested listen to this. He tells to many truths and was hated for it.
http://www.youtube.c

om/watch?v=qX-P4mx1F

LU
For someone who tirelessly discredits everyone else's references when taken from the internet, do you think we should accept Youtube as the ultimate unbiased source of truth?
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: RIP Tony you work hard right up till the end for people rights and freedom. Any one interested listen to this. He tells to many truths and was hated for it. http://www.youtube.c om/watch?v=qX-P4mx1F LU[/p][/quote]For someone who tirelessly discredits everyone else's references when taken from the internet, do you think we should accept Youtube as the ultimate unbiased source of truth? Torchie1
  • Score: 5

11:47am Fri 14 Mar 14

southy says...

Torchie1 wrote:
southy wrote:
RIP Tony you work hard right up till the end for people rights and freedom.

Any one interested listen to this. He tells to many truths and was hated for it.
http://www.youtube.c


om/watch?v=qX-P4mx1F


LU
For someone who tirelessly discredits everyone else's references when taken from the internet, do you think we should accept Youtube as the ultimate unbiased source of truth?
This you can it is unedited and its is free to all as rights to the speech is wavered, plus its not the written word its Tony giving a live speech at the time.
Watch it if you want to learn some real facts or don,t if you do not want to listen to the real truth, its up to you, it will also give you an rough ideal where we will all end up if it is not stop.
[quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: RIP Tony you work hard right up till the end for people rights and freedom. Any one interested listen to this. He tells to many truths and was hated for it. http://www.youtube.c om/watch?v=qX-P4mx1F LU[/p][/quote]For someone who tirelessly discredits everyone else's references when taken from the internet, do you think we should accept Youtube as the ultimate unbiased source of truth?[/p][/quote]This you can it is unedited and its is free to all as rights to the speech is wavered, plus its not the written word its Tony giving a live speech at the time. Watch it if you want to learn some real facts or don,t if you do not want to listen to the real truth, its up to you, it will also give you an rough ideal where we will all end up if it is not stop. southy
  • Score: -5

12:36pm Fri 14 Mar 14

gilbertratchet says...

southy wrote:
Torchie1 wrote:
southy wrote:
RIP Tony you work hard right up till the end for people rights and freedom.

Any one interested listen to this. He tells to many truths and was hated for it.
http://www.youtube.c



om/watch?v=qX-P4mx1F



LU
For someone who tirelessly discredits everyone else's references when taken from the internet, do you think we should accept Youtube as the ultimate unbiased source of truth?
This you can it is unedited and its is free to all as rights to the speech is wavered, plus its not the written word its Tony giving a live speech at the time.
Watch it if you want to learn some real facts or don,t if you do not want to listen to the real truth, its up to you, it will also give you an rough ideal where we will all end up if it is not stop.
Conjecture. Not facts.
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: RIP Tony you work hard right up till the end for people rights and freedom. Any one interested listen to this. He tells to many truths and was hated for it. http://www.youtube.c om/watch?v=qX-P4mx1F LU[/p][/quote]For someone who tirelessly discredits everyone else's references when taken from the internet, do you think we should accept Youtube as the ultimate unbiased source of truth?[/p][/quote]This you can it is unedited and its is free to all as rights to the speech is wavered, plus its not the written word its Tony giving a live speech at the time. Watch it if you want to learn some real facts or don,t if you do not want to listen to the real truth, its up to you, it will also give you an rough ideal where we will all end up if it is not stop.[/p][/quote]Conjecture. Not facts. gilbertratchet
  • Score: 5

12:42pm Fri 14 Mar 14

southy says...

gilbertratchet wrote:
southy wrote:
Torchie1 wrote:
southy wrote:
RIP Tony you work hard right up till the end for people rights and freedom.

Any one interested listen to this. He tells to many truths and was hated for it.
http://www.youtube.c




om/watch?v=qX-P4mx1F




LU
For someone who tirelessly discredits everyone else's references when taken from the internet, do you think we should accept Youtube as the ultimate unbiased source of truth?
This you can it is unedited and its is free to all as rights to the speech is wavered, plus its not the written word its Tony giving a live speech at the time.
Watch it if you want to learn some real facts or don,t if you do not want to listen to the real truth, its up to you, it will also give you an rough ideal where we will all end up if it is not stop.
Conjecture. Not facts.
No conjecture its facts it what as happen in the pass and it will carry on happening
[quote][p][bold]gilbertratchet[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: RIP Tony you work hard right up till the end for people rights and freedom. Any one interested listen to this. He tells to many truths and was hated for it. http://www.youtube.c om/watch?v=qX-P4mx1F LU[/p][/quote]For someone who tirelessly discredits everyone else's references when taken from the internet, do you think we should accept Youtube as the ultimate unbiased source of truth?[/p][/quote]This you can it is unedited and its is free to all as rights to the speech is wavered, plus its not the written word its Tony giving a live speech at the time. Watch it if you want to learn some real facts or don,t if you do not want to listen to the real truth, its up to you, it will also give you an rough ideal where we will all end up if it is not stop.[/p][/quote]Conjecture. Not facts.[/p][/quote]No conjecture its facts it what as happen in the pass and it will carry on happening southy
  • Score: -6

12:43pm Fri 14 Mar 14

skeptik says...

Disagreed with almost all of his policies. However, I had much respect for him, I would rather dislike a mans policies and respect him rather than like some of the modern politicians yet have very little respect for those who have inherited a station in life and not achieved it by ability. Cameron, Miliband and Clegg is that it?
Disagreed with almost all of his policies. However, I had much respect for him, I would rather dislike a mans policies and respect him rather than like some of the modern politicians yet have very little respect for those who have inherited a station in life and not achieved it by ability. Cameron, Miliband and Clegg is that it? skeptik
  • Score: 0

1:35pm Fri 14 Mar 14

Torchie1 says...

southy wrote:
Torchie1 wrote:
southy wrote:
RIP Tony you work hard right up till the end for people rights and freedom.

Any one interested listen to this. He tells to many truths and was hated for it.
http://www.youtube.c



om/watch?v=qX-P4mx1F



LU
For someone who tirelessly discredits everyone else's references when taken from the internet, do you think we should accept Youtube as the ultimate unbiased source of truth?
This you can it is unedited and its is free to all as rights to the speech is wavered, plus its not the written word its Tony giving a live speech at the time.
Watch it if you want to learn some real facts or don,t if you do not want to listen to the real truth, its up to you, it will also give you an rough ideal where we will all end up if it is not stop.
As you continually tell us, there is nothing on the Internet that can't be fabricated or tampered with by someone with a political agenda. You can't have it both ways or is this another occasion when you alone can post a truthful reference that suits your agenda and something posted by someone else that doesn't suit you is condemned as 'false right wing propaganda'. Take a step backwards and see how laughable you claims are.
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: RIP Tony you work hard right up till the end for people rights and freedom. Any one interested listen to this. He tells to many truths and was hated for it. http://www.youtube.c om/watch?v=qX-P4mx1F LU[/p][/quote]For someone who tirelessly discredits everyone else's references when taken from the internet, do you think we should accept Youtube as the ultimate unbiased source of truth?[/p][/quote]This you can it is unedited and its is free to all as rights to the speech is wavered, plus its not the written word its Tony giving a live speech at the time. Watch it if you want to learn some real facts or don,t if you do not want to listen to the real truth, its up to you, it will also give you an rough ideal where we will all end up if it is not stop.[/p][/quote]As you continually tell us, there is nothing on the Internet that can't be fabricated or tampered with by someone with a political agenda. You can't have it both ways or is this another occasion when you alone can post a truthful reference that suits your agenda and something posted by someone else that doesn't suit you is condemned as 'false right wing propaganda'. Take a step backwards and see how laughable you claims are. Torchie1
  • Score: 6

1:35pm Fri 14 Mar 14

Shoong says...

southy wrote:
RIP Tony you work hard right up till the end for people rights and freedom.

Any one interested listen to this. He tells to many truths and was hated for it.
http://www.youtube.c

om/watch?v=qX-P4mx1F

LU
Unedited? You can 100% guarantee that.

'90% of the internet is false' according to you.

At least Tony Been stuck to what he said.

"Say what you believe and believe what you say - that's the test of authenticity."

A shame you have demonstrated that you can't match up to your hero's standards.
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: RIP Tony you work hard right up till the end for people rights and freedom. Any one interested listen to this. He tells to many truths and was hated for it. http://www.youtube.c om/watch?v=qX-P4mx1F LU[/p][/quote]Unedited? You can 100% guarantee that. '90% of the internet is false' according to you. At least Tony Been stuck to what he said. "Say what you believe and believe what you say - that's the test of authenticity." A shame you have demonstrated that you can't match up to your hero's standards. Shoong
  • Score: 6

2:36pm Fri 14 Mar 14

gilbertratchet says...

southy wrote:
gilbertratchet wrote:
southy wrote:
Torchie1 wrote:
southy wrote:
RIP Tony you work hard right up till the end for people rights and freedom.

Any one interested listen to this. He tells to many truths and was hated for it.
http://www.youtube.c





om/watch?v=qX-P4mx1F





LU
For someone who tirelessly discredits everyone else's references when taken from the internet, do you think we should accept Youtube as the ultimate unbiased source of truth?
This you can it is unedited and its is free to all as rights to the speech is wavered, plus its not the written word its Tony giving a live speech at the time.
Watch it if you want to learn some real facts or don,t if you do not want to listen to the real truth, its up to you, it will also give you an rough ideal where we will all end up if it is not stop.
Conjecture. Not facts.
No conjecture its facts it what as happen in the pass and it will carry on happening
As discussed countless times, things do not become "facts" simply because you proclaim them so. I would advise you to stop using words you don't understand, but that would render you more or less mute. Actually, that's not a bad idea.

Stop using words you don't understand.
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]gilbertratchet[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: RIP Tony you work hard right up till the end for people rights and freedom. Any one interested listen to this. He tells to many truths and was hated for it. http://www.youtube.c om/watch?v=qX-P4mx1F LU[/p][/quote]For someone who tirelessly discredits everyone else's references when taken from the internet, do you think we should accept Youtube as the ultimate unbiased source of truth?[/p][/quote]This you can it is unedited and its is free to all as rights to the speech is wavered, plus its not the written word its Tony giving a live speech at the time. Watch it if you want to learn some real facts or don,t if you do not want to listen to the real truth, its up to you, it will also give you an rough ideal where we will all end up if it is not stop.[/p][/quote]Conjecture. Not facts.[/p][/quote]No conjecture its facts it what as happen in the pass and it will carry on happening[/p][/quote]As discussed countless times, things do not become "facts" simply because you proclaim them so. I would advise you to stop using words you don't understand, but that would render you more or less mute. Actually, that's not a bad idea. Stop using words you don't understand. gilbertratchet
  • Score: 8

3:35pm Fri 14 Mar 14

Shoong says...

southy wrote:
Torchie1 wrote:
southy wrote:
RIP Tony you work hard right up till the end for people rights and freedom.

Any one interested listen to this. He tells to many truths and was hated for it.
http://www.youtube.c



om/watch?v=qX-P4mx1F



LU
For someone who tirelessly discredits everyone else's references when taken from the internet, do you think we should accept Youtube as the ultimate unbiased source of truth?
This you can it is unedited and its is free to all as rights to the speech is wavered, plus its not the written word its Tony giving a live speech at the time.
Watch it if you want to learn some real facts or don,t if you do not want to listen to the real truth, its up to you, it will also give you an rough ideal where we will all end up if it is not stop.
Yes, much like your prediction about World War 3 starting out of the Libyan crisis.

Are you still in the bomb shelter with your tin foil hat on..?
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: RIP Tony you work hard right up till the end for people rights and freedom. Any one interested listen to this. He tells to many truths and was hated for it. http://www.youtube.c om/watch?v=qX-P4mx1F LU[/p][/quote]For someone who tirelessly discredits everyone else's references when taken from the internet, do you think we should accept Youtube as the ultimate unbiased source of truth?[/p][/quote]This you can it is unedited and its is free to all as rights to the speech is wavered, plus its not the written word its Tony giving a live speech at the time. Watch it if you want to learn some real facts or don,t if you do not want to listen to the real truth, its up to you, it will also give you an rough ideal where we will all end up if it is not stop.[/p][/quote]Yes, much like your prediction about World War 3 starting out of the Libyan crisis. Are you still in the bomb shelter with your tin foil hat on..? Shoong
  • Score: 6

5:06pm Fri 14 Mar 14

southy says...

Shoong wrote:
southy wrote:
Torchie1 wrote:
southy wrote:
RIP Tony you work hard right up till the end for people rights and freedom.

Any one interested listen to this. He tells to many truths and was hated for it.
http://www.youtube.c




om/watch?v=qX-P4mx1F




LU
For someone who tirelessly discredits everyone else's references when taken from the internet, do you think we should accept Youtube as the ultimate unbiased source of truth?
This you can it is unedited and its is free to all as rights to the speech is wavered, plus its not the written word its Tony giving a live speech at the time.
Watch it if you want to learn some real facts or don,t if you do not want to listen to the real truth, its up to you, it will also give you an rough ideal where we will all end up if it is not stop.
Yes, much like your prediction about World War 3 starting out of the Libyan crisis.

Are you still in the bomb shelter with your tin foil hat on..?
normal bs from you yet again now go back and read what i said
[quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: RIP Tony you work hard right up till the end for people rights and freedom. Any one interested listen to this. He tells to many truths and was hated for it. http://www.youtube.c om/watch?v=qX-P4mx1F LU[/p][/quote]For someone who tirelessly discredits everyone else's references when taken from the internet, do you think we should accept Youtube as the ultimate unbiased source of truth?[/p][/quote]This you can it is unedited and its is free to all as rights to the speech is wavered, plus its not the written word its Tony giving a live speech at the time. Watch it if you want to learn some real facts or don,t if you do not want to listen to the real truth, its up to you, it will also give you an rough ideal where we will all end up if it is not stop.[/p][/quote]Yes, much like your prediction about World War 3 starting out of the Libyan crisis. Are you still in the bomb shelter with your tin foil hat on..?[/p][/quote]normal bs from you yet again now go back and read what i said southy
  • Score: -3

7:11am Sat 15 Mar 14

skeptik says...

So often we see personal duels on here whilst the subject matter is twisted into personal beliefs often a country mile from the truth. Benn and many from his era were debaters - something worth learning.
So often we see personal duels on here whilst the subject matter is twisted into personal beliefs often a country mile from the truth. Benn and many from his era were debaters - something worth learning. skeptik
  • Score: -1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree