A man suffered burns to his head and face after tackling a fire at his Southampton home.

Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service said he used a wet tea towel to extinguish a chip plan blaze at his second floor flat in Cranbury Avenue, pictured below, yesterday evening.

Daily Echo:

He was one of two people taken to Southampton General Hospital following the fire, which broke out at 5pm.

A fire service spokesman said: “When we got there a woman was lying on a mattress in the lounge and a man was at the front door, having suffered burns putting the fire out.

“We gave him with first aid and oxygen therapy. The woman was suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation and was also taken to hospital.”