When news happens, text SDE and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
Teachers' strike forces more schools to close
MORE schools have announced they will close if a planned teachers’ strike go ahead next week.
In what will bring disruption to schools across the county, a total of 21 schools in Southampton have confirmed they will shut completely or partially should industrial action go ahead on Wednesday.
Another 17 in Hampshire will also be affected.
Head teachers at 12 Southampton schools have said they will definitely be open. It is not yet known what will happen with the remaining schools.
Schools that have confirmed they will close on Wednesday, should the strike go ahead, include Bassett Green Primary School, Freemantle CE Community Academy, Ludlow Junior School, and Moorlands Primary School.
Other schools across Hampshire that will also close include Braishfield Primary School near Romsey.
Teachers are threatening to strike in response to what the NUT says is the refusal by education secretary Michael Gove to discuss concerns over workload, pensions, and pay.
The proposed strike will see NUT members walk out of the classroom after NASUWT decided against the action.
The disruption is not expected to be as severe as last year when 100 schools in Hampshire and Southampton were closed.
Schools that have announced closures in Southampton:
• Bassett Green Primary
• Bevois Town Primary
• Bitterne Park Primary – three classes affected
• Bitterne Park Secondary – closed to Year 11, Year 10 only attend for designated appointments, open to Years 7, 8 and 9 (wear practical non-uniform, sportswear)
• Fairisle Infant and Nursery – three Year R classes closed
• Freemantle Community Academy
• Mansel Park Primary – closed to all bar Year 6
• Mason Moor Primary – closed apart from Willow and Birch, Beech and Holly classes
• Moorlands Primary
• Newlands Primary – Butterflies (Year R) and Pandas (Year 3) closed
• Ludlow Junior
• Redbridge Primary – four classes affected
• Regents Park Community College – closed to all bar Year 11
• St Monica Junior
• Shirley Warren Learning Campus Primary and Nursery – four classes closed
• Sholing Technology College – closed to Year 8 and Year 9
• Tanners Brook Primary – open to Year 6 only
• Woodlands Community College – closed to all bar Year 11
• The Cedar – open to Dolphin and Starfish classes only
• Great Oaks
Schools that have announced closures in Hampshire:
• Braishfield Primary
• Brockhurst Infant, Gosport – closed for Year R children only
• Buriton Primary
• Clanfield Junior – closed apart from classes 3CH, 4KB, 5RB and 5SA
• Crofton, Stubbington – closed to Year 10 only
• Fair Oak Junior – classes 6B, 6HB, 6BA, 5SW, 5O and 3T closed
• Fareham Academy – closed to all pupils bar Year 11
• Hamble Community Sports College – closed to Years 7, 8 and 9
• The Hayling College, Hayling Island
• Henry Tyndale, Farnborough – classes 4, 8, 10 and sixth form closed
• Herne Junior, Petersfield
• Netley Marsh Infant – Year R and Year 2 closed
• Park Gate Primary – open to Year 6 pupils only
• Red Barn Community Primary, Fareham – closed apart from pre-school
• Robert May’s, Odiham
• St Faith's, Winchester – closed for children in Year R, Year 1 and Year 3
• St Peter's Primary, Winchester – classes DF, GK, MOC, MW closed
Comments are closed on this article.