MSC Cruises to add two new vessels to fleet

Daily Echo: An artist’s impression of one of MSC Cruises’ two new cruise ships, due for delivery in 2017 and 2019. An artist’s impression of one of MSC Cruises’ two new cruise ships, due for delivery in 2017 and 2019.

MSC Cruises, which operates ships from Southampton, has announced orders for two new vessels.

The company has signed a letter of intent with STX France for the construction of two new cruise ships, with an option for two more.

The two ships will join MSC Cruises’ fleet, currently comprising 12 ships, all built in the Saint-Nazaire yards.

The two ships are due for delivery in 2017 and 2019.

With a gross tonnage of about 167,600 tons, and boasting 2,250 cabins for guests, the ships will carry 5,700 passengers and 1,536 crew members.

The company already operates MSC Magnifica, and MSC Opera out of Southampton. Among the new features of the latest ships will be specially designed cabins for families and an “extended” MSC Yacht Club, the entirely self-contained private club on the prestigious foredecks that will now be completed with a vast solarium, a private lounge and restaurant and duplex suites.

MSC Cruises’ executive chairman Pierfrancesco Vago said: “Growth and development have always been the characteristics that have defined MSC since the very beginning of our journey into the world of cruising.

“The launch of this prototype and the building of these two new ships confirm our commitment to further growth and to further development. MSC Cruises will expand its capacity by 31 per cent – we will incredibly enrich our offerings on board and will broaden our horizons to ensure we meet the growing global demand in every region.”

Gianni Onorato, chief executive of MSC Cruises, added: “The new prototype will be the biggest cruise ship ever built by a European ship owner, and the most versatile and flexible of the world – not only will it be able to call in most of the ports and destinations on earth, without compromise, but it will have extraordinary features that will make it the perfect choice at sea, in summer and in winter.

“The two new ships will reaffirm MSC Cruise’s dedication to outstanding and genuine dining options and out-of-this-world entertainment with new panoramic spaces, a bigger theatre and a spectacular amusement park connected to an outdoor aqua park as well as a two-deck ‘inside promenade’.”

Comments (5)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:59am Tue 25 Mar 14

OSPREYSAINT says...

Cue posts about them being too large to use Southampton and Liverpool will take the business away.
Cue posts about them being too large to use Southampton and Liverpool will take the business away. OSPREYSAINT
  • Score: -1

11:33am Tue 25 Mar 14

in search of the truth says...

OSPREYSAINT wrote:
Cue posts about them being too large to use Southampton and Liverpool will take the business away.
If you have more roadworks and cannot cope, I think we can.

2014 Cruise Season from Liverpool

Ships range from three-star rated to the brand new six-star German liner MS Europa 2

The capacity of ships on Liverpool'as cruise calendar ranges from the 694-passenger Azamara Journey to the 3,020- passenger 113,000 megaliner Ruby Princess, another new visitor which will make four repeat calls to Liverpool.

Mr Wood said: “A key example of Liverpool’s growing importance is the visit of the MSC Magnifica, after her owner said a few years ago it would never operate in the Irish Sea.

“For them to reconsider means MSC either had pressure from competitors or customers or both.

"MSC are tough businessmen so this an important indicator of the step-change achieved in improving the port and facilities.

For more details see

http://www.liverpool
echo.co.uk/incoming/
record-year-ahead-li
verpool-cruise-67926
45
[quote][p][bold]OSPREYSAINT[/bold] wrote: Cue posts about them being too large to use Southampton and Liverpool will take the business away.[/p][/quote]If you have more roadworks and cannot cope, I think we can. 2014 Cruise Season from Liverpool Ships range from three-star rated to the brand new six-star German liner MS Europa 2 The capacity of ships on Liverpool'as cruise calendar ranges from the 694-passenger Azamara Journey to the 3,020- passenger 113,000 megaliner Ruby Princess, another new visitor which will make four repeat calls to Liverpool. Mr Wood said: “A key example of Liverpool’s growing importance is the visit of the MSC Magnifica, after her owner said a few years ago it would never operate in the Irish Sea. “For them to reconsider means MSC either had pressure from competitors or customers or both. "MSC are tough businessmen so this an important indicator of the step-change achieved in improving the port and facilities. For more details see http://www.liverpool echo.co.uk/incoming/ record-year-ahead-li verpool-cruise-67926 45 in search of the truth
  • Score: 0

11:45am Tue 25 Mar 14

OSPREYSAINT says...

in search of the truth wrote:
OSPREYSAINT wrote:
Cue posts about them being too large to use Southampton and Liverpool will take the business away.
If you have more roadworks and cannot cope, I think we can.

2014 Cruise Season from Liverpool

Ships range from three-star rated to the brand new six-star German liner MS Europa 2

The capacity of ships on Liverpool'as cruise calendar ranges from the 694-passenger Azamara Journey to the 3,020- passenger 113,000 megaliner Ruby Princess, another new visitor which will make four repeat calls to Liverpool.

Mr Wood said: “A key example of Liverpool’s growing importance is the visit of the MSC Magnifica, after her owner said a few years ago it would never operate in the Irish Sea.

“For them to reconsider means MSC either had pressure from competitors or customers or both.

"MSC are tough businessmen so this an important indicator of the step-change achieved in improving the port and facilities.

For more details see

http://www.liverpool

echo.co.uk/incoming/

record-year-ahead-li

verpool-cruise-67926

45
It happened again today, two boats and instant chaos, make sure you get the transport routes sorted and you will be on a winner, our Council couldn't manage traffic on a Kart Track.
[quote][p][bold]in search of the truth[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]OSPREYSAINT[/bold] wrote: Cue posts about them being too large to use Southampton and Liverpool will take the business away.[/p][/quote]If you have more roadworks and cannot cope, I think we can. 2014 Cruise Season from Liverpool Ships range from three-star rated to the brand new six-star German liner MS Europa 2 The capacity of ships on Liverpool'as cruise calendar ranges from the 694-passenger Azamara Journey to the 3,020- passenger 113,000 megaliner Ruby Princess, another new visitor which will make four repeat calls to Liverpool. Mr Wood said: “A key example of Liverpool’s growing importance is the visit of the MSC Magnifica, after her owner said a few years ago it would never operate in the Irish Sea. “For them to reconsider means MSC either had pressure from competitors or customers or both. "MSC are tough businessmen so this an important indicator of the step-change achieved in improving the port and facilities. For more details see http://www.liverpool echo.co.uk/incoming/ record-year-ahead-li verpool-cruise-67926 45[/p][/quote]It happened again today, two boats and instant chaos, make sure you get the transport routes sorted and you will be on a winner, our Council couldn't manage traffic on a Kart Track. OSPREYSAINT
  • Score: 3

8:55am Wed 2 Apr 14

gexton71 says...

Hi! Thanks for the great i nformation you havr provided! You have touched crucuial points!
excess baggage shipping
Hi! Thanks for the great i nformation you havr provided! You have touched crucuial points! excess baggage shipping gexton71
  • Score: 0

8:56am Wed 2 Apr 14

gexton71 says...

Thanks for this article very helpful. http://www.extra-bag
gage.com/parcel-deli
very.php
Thanks for this article very helpful. http://www.extra-bag gage.com/parcel-deli very.php gexton71
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree