Kitchen fire after man falls asleep cooking burgers at 3am in Southampton

Daily Echo: Burgers set fire to house Burgers set fire to house

THE kitchen of a Southampton home caught fire when a man fell asleep while cooking burgers.

Firefighters were called to the house in Redbridge Hill at 3.05am today.

The occupant, a 43-year-old man, had been cooking burgers in a pan on the stove, but had fallen asleep.

Even though his smoke alarm went off, he did not wake up and his neighbours eventually called firefighters who were forced to break into the flat.

The man was woken up by the firefighters, and was not injured.

Speaking after the incident, watch manager Simon Packer said: “I would like to warn people against leaving cooking unattended by being distracted, sitting down or falling asleep.

“You should always keep an eye on it.”

Comments (7)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:06am Fri 28 Mar 14

Big Mac says...

Why not show the '4 quarter pounders for 99p' this doughnut would had attempted to cook rather than the gourmet version shown – or had he left it on the heat whilst choppping the dill?
Why not show the '4 quarter pounders for 99p' this doughnut would had attempted to cook rather than the gourmet version shown – or had he left it on the heat whilst choppping the dill? Big Mac
  • Score: 0

9:24am Fri 28 Mar 14

forest hump says...

Natural selection
Natural selection forest hump
  • Score: 0

10:59am Fri 28 Mar 14

OSPREYSAINT says...

Well done!
Well done! OSPREYSAINT
  • Score: 2

11:53am Fri 28 Mar 14

loosehead says...

This article must be a lie as Southampton City councils research says house fires are caused by Cigarettes so who's lying?
This article must be a lie as Southampton City councils research says house fires are caused by Cigarettes so who's lying? loosehead
  • Score: 0

12:43pm Fri 28 Mar 14

OSPREYSAINT says...

loosehead wrote:
This article must be a lie as Southampton City councils research says house fires are caused by Cigarettes so who's lying?
Only Carelessness with lit cigarettes. Still in the packet, no problem. Electronic fags, they have been responsible for a couple when the charger went wrong. There are incidences of fat fryers, fuse box misuse, and even misplaced magnifying glasses causing fires, so the Council are not being truthful with their statistics, no change there. What is required is heat, oxygen and fuel without all three you are relatively safe.
[quote][p][bold]loosehead[/bold] wrote: This article must be a lie as Southampton City councils research says house fires are caused by Cigarettes so who's lying?[/p][/quote]Only Carelessness with lit cigarettes. Still in the packet, no problem. Electronic fags, they have been responsible for a couple when the charger went wrong. There are incidences of fat fryers, fuse box misuse, and even misplaced magnifying glasses causing fires, so the Council are not being truthful with their statistics, no change there. What is required is heat, oxygen and fuel without all three you are relatively safe. OSPREYSAINT
  • Score: 1

4:02pm Fri 28 Mar 14

loosehead says...

OSPREYSAINT wrote:
loosehead wrote:
This article must be a lie as Southampton City councils research says house fires are caused by Cigarettes so who's lying?
Only Carelessness with lit cigarettes. Still in the packet, no problem. Electronic fags, they have been responsible for a couple when the charger went wrong. There are incidences of fat fryers, fuse box misuse, and even misplaced magnifying glasses causing fires, so the Council are not being truthful with their statistics, no change there. What is required is heat, oxygen and fuel without all three you are relatively safe.
exactly the point I've been trying to make thank you.
[quote][p][bold]OSPREYSAINT[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loosehead[/bold] wrote: This article must be a lie as Southampton City councils research says house fires are caused by Cigarettes so who's lying?[/p][/quote]Only Carelessness with lit cigarettes. Still in the packet, no problem. Electronic fags, they have been responsible for a couple when the charger went wrong. There are incidences of fat fryers, fuse box misuse, and even misplaced magnifying glasses causing fires, so the Council are not being truthful with their statistics, no change there. What is required is heat, oxygen and fuel without all three you are relatively safe.[/p][/quote]exactly the point I've been trying to make thank you. loosehead
  • Score: 0

4:04pm Fri 28 Mar 14

OSPREYSAINT says...

loosehead wrote:
OSPREYSAINT wrote:
loosehead wrote:
This article must be a lie as Southampton City councils research says house fires are caused by Cigarettes so who's lying?
Only Carelessness with lit cigarettes. Still in the packet, no problem. Electronic fags, they have been responsible for a couple when the charger went wrong. There are incidences of fat fryers, fuse box misuse, and even misplaced magnifying glasses causing fires, so the Council are not being truthful with their statistics, no change there. What is required is heat, oxygen and fuel without all three you are relatively safe.
exactly the point I've been trying to make thank you.
Sometimes we think alike.
[quote][p][bold]loosehead[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]OSPREYSAINT[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loosehead[/bold] wrote: This article must be a lie as Southampton City councils research says house fires are caused by Cigarettes so who's lying?[/p][/quote]Only Carelessness with lit cigarettes. Still in the packet, no problem. Electronic fags, they have been responsible for a couple when the charger went wrong. There are incidences of fat fryers, fuse box misuse, and even misplaced magnifying glasses causing fires, so the Council are not being truthful with their statistics, no change there. What is required is heat, oxygen and fuel without all three you are relatively safe.[/p][/quote]exactly the point I've been trying to make thank you.[/p][/quote]Sometimes we think alike. OSPREYSAINT
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree