When news happens, text SDE and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
Residents tell of their shock after a man in his 30s dies following a street attack
A Hampshire town is in shock today after a man died following a street fight in the early hours.
Murder police and forensics officers have sealed off High Street in Eastleigh since this morning after a 35-year-old man suffered severe head injuries.
Shocked shoppers and residents have been crowding round a sealed off area of the street close to the Swan Centre.
Forensics officers in masks have been working at the scene while officers have been standing guard outside the Newsmarket newsagent, close to a white tent erected in the road.
Victoria Naava, 42, from nearby Chamberlaine Road, who tried to visit the shop today said: "This is unbelievable.
"Its the first time I've heard of anything like this happening in Eastleigh.
Martin Long, 46, from nearby Market Street,said: "I got a call earlier this morning from a friend asking if I was ok because someone got injured.
"We are a little town you don't expect this here.
"This is a big one off."
Jassal Piara, 72, from, Desborough Road, said: "It's shocking it's happened in Eastleigh. I've been here 25 years and never heard anything like it. It's a good area."
A woman who wished to remain anonymous said: "you don't expect to come in on a Sunday morning it's shocking for Eastleigh."
Mike Reed,52,saw it was taped off when coming to collect his Sunday paper. He said: "It isn't what you expect in a small town."
Forensics have been conducting a finger-tip search of the area, carrying off items in clear plastic sacks, searching through bins and examining gardens on the road.
It is thought the cordon will be in place most of the day.
Comments are closed on this article.