A MURDER investigation is continuing today after a Hampshire dad was brutally attacked and left for dead just yards from his doorstep.

The 35-year-old, named locally as Choudry Zeeshan, was viciously beaten as he set off for work in the early hours of yesterday morning.

Daily Echo:

Medics tried desperately to keep him alive as he lay dying in Eastleigh High Street, close to his home above Newsmarket newsagents.

But despite being rushed to Southampton General Hospital he tragically succumbed to his injuries, sparking a major murder inquiry.

Detectives are now considering whether the attack may have been intended as a robbery – but it is just one of a number of lines of inquiry they are working on.

Last night they were questioning two men, a 25-year-old and a 22-year-old, on suspicion of murder.

The killing, which happened close to the Swan Centre shopping complex, has sent shockwaves through what is a close-knit community.

Horrified witnesses described how paramedics battled to save Mr Zeeshan as he lay on the road.

Daily Echo:

Trudy Davis, 37, said: “I woke up to banging on the door and was shocked to see paramedics doing CPR on someone. You could see them pumping his chest and I thought he had been hit by a car.

“There were loads of flashing lights and officers going door to door. They told us not to let the children look out the window because it was upsetting.”

Police immediately cordoned off part of the High Street at around 5.45am.

Scenes of crime officers in white overalls and masks spent much of yesterday gathering clues to the attack whilst officers and PCSOs interviewed residents.

Daily Echo:

A tent was erected in the street in full view of shoppers and residents.

A blue Peugeot was taken away on a flat-bed truck for further examination as the investigation escalated.

Police officers stood guard outside the Newsmarket newsagents and throughout the day people gathered in the sunshine, with some leaving bunches of flowers.

A message in the shop window told customers there had been an “emergency” and that the business would be shut until further notice.

Daily Echo:

Meanwhile, there was further drama in Monks Way, a quiet street near Barton Peveril College around half a mile away. Police officers went there at around 6.30am and made the first of two arrests.

One neighbour, who asked not to be named, said: “There were lots of officers and I saw them arresting a man. They had him on the ground and I could hear him cursing and swearing. It is not the sort of thing you expect to happen here.”

A flat was cordoned off and detectives conducted enquiries with neighbours throughout the day.

Detectives then launched a hunt for a missing shoe, which they said may hold vital clues as to what had happened just hours earlier.

Daily Echo:

Det Supt Paul Barton, below, leading the operation, told the Daily Echo: “We are keeping an open mind but are really keen to speak to anyone who witnessed the assault, heard it or came into contact with the offenders.

“We believe they may have blood on their clothing and that may be very obvious if anyone saw anything suspicious.

Daily Echo: DCI Paul Barton

“We believe the victim was on his way to work when he was attacked. It may be a robbery with excessive force being used but we are keeping an open mind.

“It may have been that other persons may have been approached prior to this incident. They may have been subjected to verbal abuse and threats.”

Det Supt Barton added: “When arrested one of the individuals had no footwear on. It could be that they had blood on their shoes and disposed of them. If anyone finds any shoes not belonging to them in their gardens or bushes please contact us.”

Daily Echo:

The investigation is being run by Hampshire’s Major Investigation Team.

Det Supt Barton said: “We will be studying CCTV from the area, and we urge anyone who witnessed this incident or has any information which could help us to come forward and speak to us as soon as possible.”

A post mortem by a Home Office pathologist was due either late last night or today, said a police spokeswoman.

Anyone who has information should call 101 and quote Operation Bedale. Alternatively information can be left anonymously with Crimestoppers by calling 0800 555 111.