Millbrook couple fear for sick son's health in mouldy council flat

Couple fear for sick son's health in mouldy flat

MOULD THREAT: Jamie and Marcia Palmer, with son Tyler, are having to sleep in the living room of their flat.

Tyler's mouldy buggy.

First published in News Daily Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter

“I AM worried my disabled son will end up in hospital because of this.”

These are the words of a Southampton dad who is at the end of his tether because his two-bedroom flat is riddled with mould.

The problem has got so bad for Southampton couple Jamie and Marcia Palmer, who live in Brookwood Road, Millbrook, that they have had to resort to sleeping on the floor in their front room with their three-year-old son, Tyler.

Damp has taken hold throughout their ground-floor flat, with black mould spores on every wall, which Mr Palmer says is making it difficult for them to breathe.

The couple contacted Southampton City Council about the problem in December, but the council cancelled two appointments to tackle the problem.

Mr Palmer is worried that the mould is getting so bad that they will be forced to move. He fears that Tyler, who has cerebral palsy, high blood pressure, kidney problems and an immune system deficiency, will become so ill he will need hospital treatment.

He said: “We are at are our wits’ end at the moment. The council does not seem to be doing anything. They keep cancelling and prolonging it to a future date. This work needs to be done now. I am worried that this will end up with my son going to hospital, where he could have other complications because of his immune system.”

The family does not want to be re-homed as Mr Palmer, 27, who works as a cleaner and Mrs Palmer, 25, both like the area, but they feel that their home is becoming uninhabitable.

Jamie added: “We don’t want to leave here. Even if they rehome us temporarily that will be enough, but at the moment we cannot live like this.”

Southampton City Council blamed the delays on a backlog of other repairs needed because of bad weather over the winter.

In a statement it said: “We have brought in more resources to help us with this situation and reduce the backlog more quickly. We appreciate our tenants’ patience on this matter.

“Our tenants should use Actionline to report cases of damp and mould and liaise with our team on repair appointments.”

Comments (37)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:10am Tue 8 Apr 14

loosehead says...

Is this damp or condensation? if mould through condensation buy a face mask clean it off buy an Anti Fungal spray/paint & spray/paint it on then buy a paint that is condensation /moisture proof then use a dehumidifier if you don't want to open your windows.
Is this damp or condensation? if mould through condensation buy a face mask clean it off buy an Anti Fungal spray/paint & spray/paint it on then buy a paint that is condensation /moisture proof then use a dehumidifier if you don't want to open your windows. loosehead
  • Score: 28

11:16am Tue 8 Apr 14

minnie64 says...

Exactly clean it off and open some windows - I certainly wouldn't also leave the buggy like that
Exactly clean it off and open some windows - I certainly wouldn't also leave the buggy like that minnie64
  • Score: 24

11:21am Tue 8 Apr 14

From the sidelines says...

The Echo is rapidly becoming the first port of call for tenants who don't know how to run a house.

The mould might be caused by rising damp or other leaks. But I doubt it, as this would cause localised mould, not mould on every wall.

My guess is that:
-drying washing in the flat
-using the shower and bath
-cooking
all without any fresh air ventilation, have caused a humid atmosphere and the growth of mould. In short, the Palmers have probably caused this problem by their own actions.

Here's a suggestion; open a window.
The Echo is rapidly becoming the first port of call for tenants who don't know how to run a house. The mould might be caused by rising damp or other leaks. But I doubt it, as this would cause localised mould, not mould on every wall. My guess is that: -drying washing in the flat -using the shower and bath -cooking all without any fresh air ventilation, have caused a humid atmosphere and the growth of mould. In short, the Palmers have probably caused this problem by their own actions. Here's a suggestion; open a window. From the sidelines
  • Score: 45

11:57am Tue 8 Apr 14

Dai Rear says...

Perhaps the reporter could have asked tenants in adjacent flats about their situation?
Perhaps the reporter could have asked tenants in adjacent flats about their situation? Dai Rear
  • Score: 28

11:59am Tue 8 Apr 14

Charlie Bucket says...

From the sidelines wrote:
The Echo is rapidly becoming the first port of call for tenants who don't know how to run a house.

The mould might be caused by rising damp or other leaks. But I doubt it, as this would cause localised mould, not mould on every wall.

My guess is that:
-drying washing in the flat
-using the shower and bath
-cooking
all without any fresh air ventilation, have caused a humid atmosphere and the growth of mould. In short, the Palmers have probably caused this problem by their own actions.

Here's a suggestion; open a window.
Worse, it's the first port of call for anyone who thinks they have any sort of grievance whatsoever.
[quote][p][bold]From the sidelines[/bold] wrote: The Echo is rapidly becoming the first port of call for tenants who don't know how to run a house. The mould might be caused by rising damp or other leaks. But I doubt it, as this would cause localised mould, not mould on every wall. My guess is that: -drying washing in the flat -using the shower and bath -cooking all without any fresh air ventilation, have caused a humid atmosphere and the growth of mould. In short, the Palmers have probably caused this problem by their own actions. Here's a suggestion; open a window.[/p][/quote]Worse, it's the first port of call for anyone who thinks they have any sort of grievance whatsoever. Charlie Bucket
  • Score: 29

12:03pm Tue 8 Apr 14

bigfella777 says...

Why Dont the parents look on Google or YouTube how to sort it out instead of waiting and letting it get worse. We all get it in flats you have to manage it properly. It takes work, what makes me laugh is that the father is a cleaner its his trade for crying out loud.
What does he think the council will do that he can't?
Why Dont the parents look on Google or YouTube how to sort it out instead of waiting and letting it get worse. We all get it in flats you have to manage it properly. It takes work, what makes me laugh is that the father is a cleaner its his trade for crying out loud. What does he think the council will do that he can't? bigfella777
  • Score: 35

1:17pm Tue 8 Apr 14

THEKILLER says...

A while ago i was talking to a contractor who used to clean up mould in houses and he said 99% was caused by the way people lived , drying clothes indoors without opening windows , running tumble driers all day without wiping down the condensation this caused.
It always seem to be council tenants who seem to have problems. Many years ago I had a little mould start in the bathroom , cleaned it up spayed with a Anti-Fungal spray and it did not return Easy !!!!
A while ago i was talking to a contractor who used to clean up mould in houses and he said 99% was caused by the way people lived , drying clothes indoors without opening windows , running tumble driers all day without wiping down the condensation this caused. It always seem to be council tenants who seem to have problems. Many years ago I had a little mould start in the bathroom , cleaned it up spayed with a Anti-Fungal spray and it did not return Easy !!!! THEKILLER
  • Score: 17

1:22pm Tue 8 Apr 14

tootle says...

Some places are worse than others for mould/damp. Well remember living a nice, warm council flat. The people at the other end of the block lived in damp and cold as they could not afford enough extra heating(underfloor being background in lounge only) to keep the damp away, not to mention paying out for mould remover!. Difference between south facing and north facing. Unless the neighbours are asked nobody knows whether the couple don't open windows or whether they have a naturally damp flat.
Some places are worse than others for mould/damp. Well remember living a nice, warm council flat. The people at the other end of the block lived in damp and cold as they could not afford enough extra heating(underfloor being background in lounge only) to keep the damp away, not to mention paying out for mould remover!. Difference between south facing and north facing. Unless the neighbours are asked nobody knows whether the couple don't open windows or whether they have a naturally damp flat. tootle
  • Score: 2

1:22pm Tue 8 Apr 14

loonaloop says...

You cannot tell me that mould just appeared on the buggy overnight. that is just pure filth plain and simple. Also try turning the heating off during the day and open a few windows or would that make you're viewing of daytime TV too uncomfortable?.
You cannot tell me that mould just appeared on the buggy overnight. that is just pure filth plain and simple. Also try turning the heating off during the day and open a few windows or would that make you're viewing of daytime TV too uncomfortable?. loonaloop
  • Score: 27

1:25pm Tue 8 Apr 14

gingerbiscuit1 says...

The Daily Echo really ought to investigate the stories they publish before sending them to press to make sure they get their facts right.
The Daily Echo really ought to investigate the stories they publish before sending them to press to make sure they get their facts right. gingerbiscuit1
  • Score: 19

1:27pm Tue 8 Apr 14

bucktoom says...

I think some people are being a bit unkind. I'm becoming increasingly aware of many people who lack the education and common sense required to run a home and perhaps this couple are another example. I could be wrong of course.
I think some people are being a bit unkind. I'm becoming increasingly aware of many people who lack the education and common sense required to run a home and perhaps this couple are another example. I could be wrong of course. bucktoom
  • Score: 8

1:28pm Tue 8 Apr 14

SotonGreen says...

I am sure it is institutionisation, basically the sort of folk who end up in council houses are just incapable of running their own lives. They are dependent on the largesse of others for basic things like food and accomodation for a reason and those reasons spill over into pretty much all aspects of their life.
I am sure it is institutionisation, basically the sort of folk who end up in council houses are just incapable of running their own lives. They are dependent on the largesse of others for basic things like food and accomodation for a reason and those reasons spill over into pretty much all aspects of their life. SotonGreen
  • Score: 3

1:46pm Tue 8 Apr 14

kiddynamite says...

I am not so sure advertising your stupidity in the daily echo is such a great idea! Open a window or two and the problem will go away. Unlike most of the salads that live in chavbrook.
I am not so sure advertising your stupidity in the daily echo is such a great idea! Open a window or two and the problem will go away. Unlike most of the salads that live in chavbrook. kiddynamite
  • Score: 12

1:48pm Tue 8 Apr 14

YMBFJ!!!! says...

No matter what education you have had, i think a bucket of hot soapy water and a sponge is not excatly rocket science is it....Guess they don't teach these things on Jeremy Kyle.
No matter what education you have had, i think a bucket of hot soapy water and a sponge is not excatly rocket science is it....Guess they don't teach these things on Jeremy Kyle. YMBFJ!!!!
  • Score: 20

2:20pm Tue 8 Apr 14

St.Ray says...

Try opening the windows. Ventilation will get rid of this problem, but the parents are probably too dumb to appreciate this simple remedy, but, the real reason for them going public is their search for another Council property
Try opening the windows. Ventilation will get rid of this problem, but the parents are probably too dumb to appreciate this simple remedy, but, the real reason for them going public is their search for another Council property St.Ray
  • Score: 12

2:36pm Tue 8 Apr 14

Zexagon says...

To be honest, if you don't know it's condensation then you would think it was damp. Mind you I don't think I'd want my photo and story splashed across the echo for everyone to shoot me down
To be honest, if you don't know it's condensation then you would think it was damp. Mind you I don't think I'd want my photo and story splashed across the echo for everyone to shoot me down Zexagon
  • Score: 5

3:06pm Tue 8 Apr 14

mjt1234 says...

You should no judge, what you don't know! It is not just my flat its the whole block that's like it! Don't you think we wash it off, of course we do. We don't want are son on well thank you! Since we reported this to the echo we have had a inspector out and the amount of things that are wrong with the flat is unbelievable. All are flooring as to come up because it's soaking t,kitchen has to be ripped out because of pipes piecing with water. The whole of the block needs damp course and re point not just my flat! We also have a dehumidifier. Plus the windows pouring with water because there are no lead trays in which should be. Cracks up the walls I can go on and on ! The council are finally helping us now! Its cost me enough money for treatments and replacing thing so I think they should do their part! My concern is my child! AS FOR PUSHCHAIR IT HAD BEE IN A CUPBOARD FOR 4 days and yes he has a new one .
You should no judge, what you don't know! It is not just my flat its the whole block that's like it! Don't you think we wash it off, of course we do. We don't want are son on well thank you! Since we reported this to the echo we have had a inspector out and the amount of things that are wrong with the flat is unbelievable. All are flooring as to come up because it's soaking t,kitchen has to be ripped out because of pipes piecing with water. The whole of the block needs damp course and re point not just my flat! We also have a dehumidifier. Plus the windows pouring with water because there are no lead trays in which should be. Cracks up the walls I can go on and on ! The council are finally helping us now! Its cost me enough money for treatments and replacing thing so I think they should do their part! My concern is my child! AS FOR PUSHCHAIR IT HAD BEE IN A CUPBOARD FOR 4 days and yes he has a new one . mjt1234
  • Score: 0

3:07pm Tue 8 Apr 14

exforester says...

SotonGreen wrote:
I am sure it is institutionisation, basically the sort of folk who end up in council houses are just incapable of running their own lives. They are dependent on the largesse of others for basic things like food and accomodation for a reason and those reasons spill over into pretty much all aspects of their life.
Not an ignorant stereotypical view from an uninspired stereotypic small minded bigot then!
[quote][p][bold]SotonGreen[/bold] wrote: I am sure it is institutionisation, basically the sort of folk who end up in council houses are just incapable of running their own lives. They are dependent on the largesse of others for basic things like food and accomodation for a reason and those reasons spill over into pretty much all aspects of their life.[/p][/quote]Not an ignorant stereotypical view from an uninspired stereotypic small minded bigot then! exforester
  • Score: -1

3:14pm Tue 8 Apr 14

lauren917 says...

I think some of the simple minded comments on here are a joke none of you know the situation that they are living in yes there may be a simple solution to get rid of it but it may also be damp and a under lying problem.this "basically the sort of folk who end up in council houses are just incapable of running their own lives." is a very small minded view on things. I run my life perfectly well and live in council housing as do many other people I know.
I think some of the simple minded comments on here are a joke none of you know the situation that they are living in yes there may be a simple solution to get rid of it but it may also be damp and a under lying problem.this "basically the sort of folk who end up in council houses are just incapable of running their own lives." is a very small minded view on things. I run my life perfectly well and live in council housing as do many other people I know. lauren917
  • Score: 9

4:27pm Tue 8 Apr 14

bigfella777 says...

mjt1234 wrote:
You should no judge, what you don't know! It is not just my flat its the whole block that's like it! Don't you think we wash it off, of course we do. We don't want are son on well thank you! Since we reported this to the echo we have had a inspector out and the amount of things that are wrong with the flat is unbelievable. All are flooring as to come up because it's soaking t,kitchen has to be ripped out because of pipes piecing with water. The whole of the block needs damp course and re point not just my flat! We also have a dehumidifier. Plus the windows pouring with water because there are no lead trays in which should be. Cracks up the walls I can go on and on ! The council are finally helping us now! Its cost me enough money for treatments and replacing thing so I think they should do their part! My concern is my child! AS FOR PUSHCHAIR IT HAD BEE IN A CUPBOARD FOR 4 days and yes he has a new one .
You're just making it worse for yourself.
[quote][p][bold]mjt1234[/bold] wrote: You should no judge, what you don't know! It is not just my flat its the whole block that's like it! Don't you think we wash it off, of course we do. We don't want are son on well thank you! Since we reported this to the echo we have had a inspector out and the amount of things that are wrong with the flat is unbelievable. All are flooring as to come up because it's soaking t,kitchen has to be ripped out because of pipes piecing with water. The whole of the block needs damp course and re point not just my flat! We also have a dehumidifier. Plus the windows pouring with water because there are no lead trays in which should be. Cracks up the walls I can go on and on ! The council are finally helping us now! Its cost me enough money for treatments and replacing thing so I think they should do their part! My concern is my child! AS FOR PUSHCHAIR IT HAD BEE IN A CUPBOARD FOR 4 days and yes he has a new one .[/p][/quote]You're just making it worse for yourself. bigfella777
  • Score: 4

4:43pm Tue 8 Apr 14

thesouth says...

Wish someone could sort all my DIY problems out for me, I'm the mug for working, buying a home and having to do it all myself.
Wish someone could sort all my DIY problems out for me, I'm the mug for working, buying a home and having to do it all myself. thesouth
  • Score: 13

5:01pm Tue 8 Apr 14

unique78 says...

When your a benifit bum an youve got to much time on your hands you sit ther an judge an **** you see your life is so **** it just makes it seem abit better!! Dont you just hate them people
...... no one actualy know this family or what life style they live yet your al quick enough with the negitivity i mean REALLLLY!!
Its like me comin along an sayin all your heads are up your own arse you dont even no what day it is let alone what area your from....youve al got enough time to sit ther an judge lets hope al your houses arr up together... dont no about this family but im in full time work...eat on thr go deffently have no time to judge big massive clap to you lot give ya self a wipe PERLEASSSE
.
When your a benifit bum an youve got to much time on your hands you sit ther an judge an **** you see your life is so **** it just makes it seem abit better!! Dont you just hate them people ...... no one actualy know this family or what life style they live yet your al quick enough with the negitivity i mean REALLLLY!! Its like me comin along an sayin all your heads are up your own arse you dont even no what day it is let alone what area your from....youve al got enough time to sit ther an judge lets hope al your houses arr up together... dont no about this family but im in full time work...eat on thr go deffently have no time to judge big massive clap to you lot give ya self a wipe PERLEASSSE . unique78
  • Score: -7

5:31pm Tue 8 Apr 14

loosehead says...

mjt1234 wrote:
You should no judge, what you don't know! It is not just my flat its the whole block that's like it! Don't you think we wash it off, of course we do. We don't want are son on well thank you! Since we reported this to the echo we have had a inspector out and the amount of things that are wrong with the flat is unbelievable. All are flooring as to come up because it's soaking t,kitchen has to be ripped out because of pipes piecing with water. The whole of the block needs damp course and re point not just my flat! We also have a dehumidifier. Plus the windows pouring with water because there are no lead trays in which should be. Cracks up the walls I can go on and on ! The council are finally helping us now! Its cost me enough money for treatments and replacing thing so I think they should do their part! My concern is my child! AS FOR PUSHCHAIR IT HAD BEE IN A CUPBOARD FOR 4 days and yes he has a new one .
If it's as bad as you've just said this block would/should be condemned & you all would end up in emergency housing(guest house?)
Have they given a reason why the floorboards are soaking? do you mean the pipes are all leaking?
I only gave what I thought was helpful information but the only thing I can see happening to this block if it's as bad as you say is demolition.
[quote][p][bold]mjt1234[/bold] wrote: You should no judge, what you don't know! It is not just my flat its the whole block that's like it! Don't you think we wash it off, of course we do. We don't want are son on well thank you! Since we reported this to the echo we have had a inspector out and the amount of things that are wrong with the flat is unbelievable. All are flooring as to come up because it's soaking t,kitchen has to be ripped out because of pipes piecing with water. The whole of the block needs damp course and re point not just my flat! We also have a dehumidifier. Plus the windows pouring with water because there are no lead trays in which should be. Cracks up the walls I can go on and on ! The council are finally helping us now! Its cost me enough money for treatments and replacing thing so I think they should do their part! My concern is my child! AS FOR PUSHCHAIR IT HAD BEE IN A CUPBOARD FOR 4 days and yes he has a new one .[/p][/quote]If it's as bad as you've just said this block would/should be condemned & you all would end up in emergency housing(guest house?) Have they given a reason why the floorboards are soaking? do you mean the pipes are all leaking? I only gave what I thought was helpful information but the only thing I can see happening to this block if it's as bad as you say is demolition. loosehead
  • Score: 4

5:34pm Tue 8 Apr 14

loosehead says...

unique78 wrote:
When your a benifit bum an youve got to much time on your hands you sit ther an judge an **** you see your life is so **** it just makes it seem abit better!! Dont you just hate them people
...... no one actualy know this family or what life style they live yet your al quick enough with the negitivity i mean REALLLLY!!
Its like me comin along an sayin all your heads are up your own arse you dont even no what day it is let alone what area your from....youve al got enough time to sit ther an judge lets hope al your houses arr up together... dont no about this family but im in full time work...eat on thr go deffently have no time to judge big massive clap to you lot give ya self a wipe PERLEASSSE
.
what school did you go to please?
[quote][p][bold]unique78[/bold] wrote: When your a benifit bum an youve got to much time on your hands you sit ther an judge an **** you see your life is so **** it just makes it seem abit better!! Dont you just hate them people ...... no one actualy know this family or what life style they live yet your al quick enough with the negitivity i mean REALLLLY!! Its like me comin along an sayin all your heads are up your own arse you dont even no what day it is let alone what area your from....youve al got enough time to sit ther an judge lets hope al your houses arr up together... dont no about this family but im in full time work...eat on thr go deffently have no time to judge big massive clap to you lot give ya self a wipe PERLEASSSE .[/p][/quote]what school did you go to please? loosehead
  • Score: 5

5:53pm Tue 8 Apr 14

loosehead says...

Well I've tried to be good but why is it this problem has only arose after the residents said yes to take over these flats?
All council tenants can bid on a property go & look at it then if they're happy they move in so have these leaks,cracks & rotten floorboards only just occurred?
If not why take on the flat?
Well I've tried to be good but why is it this problem has only arose after the residents said yes to take over these flats? All council tenants can bid on a property go & look at it then if they're happy they move in so have these leaks,cracks & rotten floorboards only just occurred? If not why take on the flat? loosehead
  • Score: 4

6:05pm Tue 8 Apr 14

tootle says...

Maybe because it was better than the accommodation they were previously in? Maybe it had been painted over. I don't know.
Maybe because it was better than the accommodation they were previously in? Maybe it had been painted over. I don't know. tootle
  • Score: 2

6:37pm Tue 8 Apr 14

Dai Rear says...

unique78 wrote:
When your a benifit bum an youve got to much time on your hands you sit ther an judge an **** you see your life is so **** it just makes it seem abit better!! Dont you just hate them people
...... no one actualy know this family or what life style they live yet your al quick enough with the negitivity i mean REALLLLY!!
Its like me comin along an sayin all your heads are up your own arse you dont even no what day it is let alone what area your from....youve al got enough time to sit ther an judge lets hope al your houses arr up together... dont no about this family but im in full time work...eat on thr go deffently have no time to judge big massive clap to you lot give ya self a wipe PERLEASSSE
.
Hope the full time work you're in doesn't involve reading instructions or plans.
No one knows about most people but most people don't go whingeing to the papers because they think we should spend more tax pounds on them.
[quote][p][bold]unique78[/bold] wrote: When your a benifit bum an youve got to much time on your hands you sit ther an judge an **** you see your life is so **** it just makes it seem abit better!! Dont you just hate them people ...... no one actualy know this family or what life style they live yet your al quick enough with the negitivity i mean REALLLLY!! Its like me comin along an sayin all your heads are up your own arse you dont even no what day it is let alone what area your from....youve al got enough time to sit ther an judge lets hope al your houses arr up together... dont no about this family but im in full time work...eat on thr go deffently have no time to judge big massive clap to you lot give ya self a wipe PERLEASSSE .[/p][/quote]Hope the full time work you're in doesn't involve reading instructions or plans. No one knows about most people but most people don't go whingeing to the papers because they think we should spend more tax pounds on them. Dai Rear
  • Score: 5

7:39pm Tue 8 Apr 14

wossit says...

GET OF **** YOU LAZY B8STARDS, I AM SICK OF HEARING ABOUT IT
GET OF **** YOU LAZY B8STARDS, I AM SICK OF HEARING ABOUT IT wossit
  • Score: 0

7:52pm Tue 8 Apr 14

IronLady2010 says...

I am stuck for words. How can you allow a local newspaper to run this story with a picture of a pushchair which obviously hasn't been cleaned in weeks?

Seriously, no matter where you live you are going to suffer damp with the way you live your life.

Seriously, be ashamed and I mean very ashamed!
I am stuck for words. How can you allow a local newspaper to run this story with a picture of a pushchair which obviously hasn't been cleaned in weeks? Seriously, no matter where you live you are going to suffer damp with the way you live your life. Seriously, be ashamed and I mean very ashamed! IronLady2010
  • Score: 6

7:53pm Tue 8 Apr 14

IronLady2010 says...

Please tell me she's not wearing those awful tight legging things.
Please tell me she's not wearing those awful tight legging things. IronLady2010
  • Score: 3

7:55pm Tue 8 Apr 14

mjt1234 says...

I work full time thanks and pay my rent! I think I even pay tax lmao so I pay in just as the next person.
I work full time thanks and pay my rent! I think I even pay tax lmao so I pay in just as the next person. mjt1234
  • Score: 0

8:18pm Tue 8 Apr 14

Dai Rear says...

mjt1234 wrote:
I work full time thanks and pay my rent! I think I even pay tax lmao so I pay in just as the next person.
Dream on. Has it crossed your mind that if everyone paid as little tax as you most of us would be better off? No, didn't think so.
[quote][p][bold]mjt1234[/bold] wrote: I work full time thanks and pay my rent! I think I even pay tax lmao so I pay in just as the next person.[/p][/quote]Dream on. Has it crossed your mind that if everyone paid as little tax as you most of us would be better off? No, didn't think so. Dai Rear
  • Score: 0

8:45pm Tue 8 Apr 14

Quentin Heslop says...

This has all the hallmarks of condensation and observations about cleaning, heating ventilating and not drying clothes on radiators are all very relevant. What is also relevant is condensation does not discriminate between 'council' tenants, private tenants or owner occupiers; it affects all. Any occupier needs to take measures to limit the effects as well as whoever might be responsible ensuring there is no underlying issue. Social landlords are well aware of the issues and advice needed to assist residents in maintaining acceptable living conditions. It is a joint responsibility between landlord and tenant to ensure condensation does not get out if control.
This has all the hallmarks of condensation and observations about cleaning, heating ventilating and not drying clothes on radiators are all very relevant. What is also relevant is condensation does not discriminate between 'council' tenants, private tenants or owner occupiers; it affects all. Any occupier needs to take measures to limit the effects as well as whoever might be responsible ensuring there is no underlying issue. Social landlords are well aware of the issues and advice needed to assist residents in maintaining acceptable living conditions. It is a joint responsibility between landlord and tenant to ensure condensation does not get out if control. Quentin Heslop
  • Score: 5

9:05pm Tue 8 Apr 14

loosehead says...

Quentin Heslop wrote:
This has all the hallmarks of condensation and observations about cleaning, heating ventilating and not drying clothes on radiators are all very relevant. What is also relevant is condensation does not discriminate between 'council' tenants, private tenants or owner occupiers; it affects all. Any occupier needs to take measures to limit the effects as well as whoever might be responsible ensuring there is no underlying issue. Social landlords are well aware of the issues and advice needed to assist residents in maintaining acceptable living conditions. It is a joint responsibility between landlord and tenant to ensure condensation does not get out if control.
when I bought my present house I was in a hurry & didn't look behind the kitchen appliances or take much notice of the whitewashed walls.
My wife refused to open Kitchen or Bathroom windows in the winter months so after two years we got mould in the kitchen.
I paid for a fan to be put into the wall & I cleaned off the mould & painted it with anti fungal spray then painted it with a condensation proof kitchen paint I've had no more problems in the Kitchen.
In the bathroom it started to appear so I insisted on my wife opening the window I treated it & again I used special Bathroom paint which you can buy in Wilkinsons again no problem.
So I can't believe this problem has just appeared if it's the whole block of flats.
[quote][p][bold]Quentin Heslop[/bold] wrote: This has all the hallmarks of condensation and observations about cleaning, heating ventilating and not drying clothes on radiators are all very relevant. What is also relevant is condensation does not discriminate between 'council' tenants, private tenants or owner occupiers; it affects all. Any occupier needs to take measures to limit the effects as well as whoever might be responsible ensuring there is no underlying issue. Social landlords are well aware of the issues and advice needed to assist residents in maintaining acceptable living conditions. It is a joint responsibility between landlord and tenant to ensure condensation does not get out if control.[/p][/quote]when I bought my present house I was in a hurry & didn't look behind the kitchen appliances or take much notice of the whitewashed walls. My wife refused to open Kitchen or Bathroom windows in the winter months so after two years we got mould in the kitchen. I paid for a fan to be put into the wall & I cleaned off the mould & painted it with anti fungal spray then painted it with a condensation proof kitchen paint I've had no more problems in the Kitchen. In the bathroom it started to appear so I insisted on my wife opening the window I treated it & again I used special Bathroom paint which you can buy in Wilkinsons again no problem. So I can't believe this problem has just appeared if it's the whole block of flats. loosehead
  • Score: 4

9:51pm Tue 8 Apr 14

Soton1976 says...

Condensation/damp is very common in flats, its all to do with the type ventilation. I agree with comments above where people have said about drying washing indoors, baths etc. Its common if you have bathroom with no window
its not just these council properties they get either privately, owned properties get it as well. Its just common sense on how you sort it out.
I have owned my property as do a few of my friends and we all have the same problems.
If its proper damp they have then the bad weather over the winter didnt help and a lot of properties suffered because of that, not just flats but houses too.
Condensation/damp is very common in flats, its all to do with the type ventilation. I agree with comments above where people have said about drying washing indoors, baths etc. Its common if you have bathroom with no window its not just these council properties they get either privately, owned properties get it as well. Its just common sense on how you sort it out. I have owned my property as do a few of my friends and we all have the same problems. If its proper damp they have then the bad weather over the winter didnt help and a lot of properties suffered because of that, not just flats but houses too. Soton1976
  • Score: 4

10:20pm Wed 30 Apr 14

Solicitor says...

Hello
Often landlords blame tenants for damp and mould but they are wrong.
This article gives advice about they you can do of you live in a damp and mouldy flat.
http://anthonygold.c
o.uk/latest/legal-in
sight/my-flat-is-dam
p-my-house-is-mouldy
-my-landlord-wont-fi
x-anything-2
By the way tenants in South London have prosecuted their landlord in the magistrates court.
Lambeth council has 3 convictions for not dealing with damp and mouldy flats. See here https://anthonygold.
co.uk/latest/legal-i
nsight/guilty .
Hello Often landlords blame tenants for damp and mould but they are wrong. This article gives advice about they you can do of you live in a damp and mouldy flat. http://anthonygold.c o.uk/latest/legal-in sight/my-flat-is-dam p-my-house-is-mouldy -my-landlord-wont-fi x-anything-2 By the way tenants in South London have prosecuted their landlord in the magistrates court. Lambeth council has 3 convictions for not dealing with damp and mouldy flats. See here https://anthonygold. co.uk/latest/legal-i nsight/guilty . Solicitor
  • Score: 0

6:24am Thu 1 May 14

loosehead says...

Solicitor wrote:
Hello
Often landlords blame tenants for damp and mould but they are wrong.
This article gives advice about they you can do of you live in a damp and mouldy flat.
http://anthonygold.c

o.uk/latest/legal-in

sight/my-flat-is-dam

p-my-house-is-mouldy

-my-landlord-wont-fi

x-anything-2
By the way tenants in South London have prosecuted their landlord in the magistrates court.
Lambeth council has 3 convictions for not dealing with damp and mouldy flats. See here https://anthonygold.

co.uk/latest/legal-i

nsight/guilty .
As a solicitor could a person sue an estate agent for lying to them on a viewing?
Looked at a seventh floor flat it had black mould with white growth on it in the lounge & the bedrooms the agent said it's where no one's living here?
[quote][p][bold]Solicitor[/bold] wrote: Hello Often landlords blame tenants for damp and mould but they are wrong. This article gives advice about they you can do of you live in a damp and mouldy flat. http://anthonygold.c o.uk/latest/legal-in sight/my-flat-is-dam p-my-house-is-mouldy -my-landlord-wont-fi x-anything-2 By the way tenants in South London have prosecuted their landlord in the magistrates court. Lambeth council has 3 convictions for not dealing with damp and mouldy flats. See here https://anthonygold. co.uk/latest/legal-i nsight/guilty .[/p][/quote]As a solicitor could a person sue an estate agent for lying to them on a viewing? Looked at a seventh floor flat it had black mould with white growth on it in the lounge & the bedrooms the agent said it's where no one's living here? loosehead
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree