Young girl 'lucky not to lose her eye' claims mum after in dog attack in New Milton

Emily Leach and her daughter Lucie

Emily Leach and her daughter Lucie

First published in News
Last updated
Daily Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter

POLICE have launched an investigation after a Hampshire schoolgirl was viciously attacked by a dog.

Mum Emily Leach has told how terrified daughter Lucie was left with blood streaming from her face when the dog she was stroking sunk its teeth into her cheek.

The tenyear- old from New Milton, who had dreams of being a vet, was taken to the Lymington New Forest Hospital before being transferred to Southampton General where she had 11 stitches in her face.

Emily told the Daily Echo that her daughter was lucky not to be blinded by the “unprovoked” attack, which happened in Cadhay Close.

The mum-of-four, who lives near where the attack happened, was talking to a friend when she heard her daughter scream.

She recalled how she found the youngster curled up on the ground trying to protect her face as the dog’s owners ushered the animal away.

Mrs Leach, 33, said: “I saw my daughter stroking the dog, then next thing I heard this noise and ran to find my daughter lying down.

“I picked my daughter from the floor and blood was gushing from her face, and I took her inside.

“One of the puncture wounds was half an inch below her right eye, and she was lucky not to have been blinded.”

She added that her daughter had asked the owners if the dog - believed by the family to be border collie/german shepherd cross - was safe to stroke before approaching it. Now she wants it put down.

“The owners did not show a huge amount of concern and claimed that the dog had never done anything like that before,” Mrs Leach added.

“I do not want the dog going outside because it can hurt anybody.”

Since the attack the young girl is now anxious around dogs. Hampshire police confirmed they are investigating the attack, which happened at 7.30pm on Friday.

Comments (28)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:30pm Wed 9 Apr 14

She Who Sees says...

Michael Carr - do some PROPER reporting, please. Name the BREED OF DOG INVOLVED IN THIS ATTACK. I wish the little girl a full recovery.
Michael Carr - do some PROPER reporting, please. Name the BREED OF DOG INVOLVED IN THIS ATTACK. I wish the little girl a full recovery. She Who Sees
  • Score: 10

8:36pm Wed 9 Apr 14

MichaelCarr1 says...

Just to say, the family told me the breed was a border collie, however the BBC reported the dog was a German Shepherd.
I did include it in the original copy, however it might have been edited out.
Just to say, the family told me the breed was a border collie, however the BBC reported the dog was a German Shepherd. I did include it in the original copy, however it might have been edited out. MichaelCarr1
  • Score: 14

8:56pm Wed 9 Apr 14

westhantsboy says...

Best wishes to girl. If the girl asked to stroke the dog why Are Police investigating? Not as if it was roaming a round, snarling at passers by and did not appear out of control otherwise kid would not have approached it. The owners must be devastated. Hope the kiddie makes a full recovery.
Best wishes to girl. If the girl asked to stroke the dog why Are Police investigating? Not as if it was roaming a round, snarling at passers by and did not appear out of control otherwise kid would not have approached it. The owners must be devastated. Hope the kiddie makes a full recovery. westhantsboy
  • Score: 10

9:18pm Wed 9 Apr 14

Zexagon says...

Now she wants it put down? What's wrong with putting a muzzle on it out in public?
Now she wants it put down? What's wrong with putting a muzzle on it out in public? Zexagon
  • Score: 9

9:19pm Wed 9 Apr 14

Zexagon says...

“I do not want the dog going outside, for public safety because it can hurt anybody.”
Not if it's got a muzzle on love
“I do not want the dog going outside, for public safety because it can hurt anybody.” Not if it's got a muzzle on love Zexagon
  • Score: 8

9:43pm Wed 9 Apr 14

Jazzek says...

For once and thank god it wasn't a Staffordshire bull terrier now bloody what shows one thing it's not staff ok it's a collie or a German Shepard ahhh so does that mean now that they will be classed as dangerous dogs why not cause it's not fair just to blame staffs rant over I have staffs there brilliant dogs !!!!!
For once and thank god it wasn't a Staffordshire bull terrier now bloody what shows one thing it's not staff ok it's a collie or a German Shepard ahhh so does that mean now that they will be classed as dangerous dogs why not cause it's not fair just to blame staffs rant over I have staffs there brilliant dogs !!!!! Jazzek
  • Score: 2

9:48pm Wed 9 Apr 14

Saturdaynight14 says...

Jazzek wrote:
For once and thank god it wasn't a Staffordshire bull terrier now bloody what shows one thing it's not staff ok it's a collie or a German Shepard ahhh so does that mean now that they will be classed as dangerous dogs why not cause it's not fair just to blame staffs rant over I have staffs there brilliant dogs !!!!!
I totally agree with you! I have a staffy too! Best dogs in the world! And I'm so glad this has made the press! Just wish they would put in bold writing the breed of dog!
[quote][p][bold]Jazzek[/bold] wrote: For once and thank god it wasn't a Staffordshire bull terrier now bloody what shows one thing it's not staff ok it's a collie or a German Shepard ahhh so does that mean now that they will be classed as dangerous dogs why not cause it's not fair just to blame staffs rant over I have staffs there brilliant dogs !!!!![/p][/quote]I totally agree with you! I have a staffy too! Best dogs in the world! And I'm so glad this has made the press! Just wish they would put in bold writing the breed of dog! Saturdaynight14
  • Score: -10

10:43pm Wed 9 Apr 14

bigfella777 says...

I hope they put it down. It is obviously dangerous and has no place in modern society.
I hope they put it down. It is obviously dangerous and has no place in modern society. bigfella777
  • Score: -21

10:59pm Wed 9 Apr 14

Jesta-a-View says...

Jazzek wrote:
For once and thank god it wasn't a Staffordshire bull terrier now bloody what shows one thing it's not staff ok it's a collie or a German Shepard ahhh so does that mean now that they will be classed as dangerous dogs why not cause it's not fair just to blame staffs rant over I have staffs there brilliant dogs !!!!!
Yes for ONCE!
It hardly does your case much good when even you recognise that it is often Staffies or breeds similar to staffies that are involved in mauling's.
We are all aware other dogs may and do bite on occasion but the point is, as you obviously realise yourself, Staffies are involved far more often than other dogs.
Personally, I have nothing against them and have seen some quite lovely Staffs owned by decent people who know how to cope with the breed.
However, I have also seen the flip side, like most of have, where morons get hold of them and strut out as if they are hard nuts.
Were the breed not such a dangerous animal in such hands, these twerps would be laughable but it is hardly the breeds fault that it seems to have a cult following amongst chavs who shouldn't be allowed a hamster let alone a dangerous dog!
So, we have to legislate and honestly, in my opinion, any dog of whatever breed that bites or mauls a human, for whatever reason, should be destroyed without question or debate.
This would not see a huge rise in animals being put down but it would encourage far more responsible ownership, we would see less of the morons on our streets and in time, would also result in fewer of these cases cropping up in the press.
[quote][p][bold]Jazzek[/bold] wrote: For once and thank god it wasn't a Staffordshire bull terrier now bloody what shows one thing it's not staff ok it's a collie or a German Shepard ahhh so does that mean now that they will be classed as dangerous dogs why not cause it's not fair just to blame staffs rant over I have staffs there brilliant dogs !!!!![/p][/quote]Yes for ONCE! It hardly does your case much good when even you recognise that it is often Staffies or breeds similar to staffies that are involved in mauling's. We are all aware other dogs may and do bite on occasion but the point is, as you obviously realise yourself, Staffies are involved far more often than other dogs. Personally, I have nothing against them and have seen some quite lovely Staffs owned by decent people who know how to cope with the breed. However, I have also seen the flip side, like most of have, where morons get hold of them and strut out as if they are hard nuts. Were the breed not such a dangerous animal in such hands, these twerps would be laughable but it is hardly the breeds fault that it seems to have a cult following amongst chavs who shouldn't be allowed a hamster let alone a dangerous dog! So, we have to legislate and honestly, in my opinion, any dog of whatever breed that bites or mauls a human, for whatever reason, should be destroyed without question or debate. This would not see a huge rise in animals being put down but it would encourage far more responsible ownership, we would see less of the morons on our streets and in time, would also result in fewer of these cases cropping up in the press. Jesta-a-View
  • Score: 8

12:37am Thu 10 Apr 14

robj1969 says...

As an owner of two Collies, it makes me sad when I see injuries like this caused by any breed of dog. What I would say though, is if you look at how many dogs bite people compared with people attacking other people, the world would be a safer place if it were filled with dogs.....

I hope the young lady makes a speedy recovery.
As an owner of two Collies, it makes me sad when I see injuries like this caused by any breed of dog. What I would say though, is if you look at how many dogs bite people compared with people attacking other people, the world would be a safer place if it were filled with dogs..... I hope the young lady makes a speedy recovery. robj1969
  • Score: 11

1:39am Thu 10 Apr 14

stay local says...

MichaelCarr1 wrote:
Just to say, the family told me the breed was a border collie, however the BBC reported the dog was a German Shepherd.
I did include it in the original copy, however it might have been edited out.
Thank you for the additional information Michael. It is great to see that at least one reporter is responding to comments and seeking to clarify misunderstanding. Please encourage others to do the same.
[quote][p][bold]MichaelCarr1[/bold] wrote: Just to say, the family told me the breed was a border collie, however the BBC reported the dog was a German Shepherd. I did include it in the original copy, however it might have been edited out.[/p][/quote]Thank you for the additional information Michael. It is great to see that at least one reporter is responding to comments and seeking to clarify misunderstanding. Please encourage others to do the same. stay local
  • Score: 17

3:12am Thu 10 Apr 14

Hampshire Hog says...

Firstly i would like to say sorry to read about the little girl being attacked by a dog and i hope she recovers quickly and not scared mentally as well as physically by whats happened.In regards of those who commented about thank goodness it wasn't Staffies( i would say Bull breeds in general). Well i can fully understand why you would feel that way and i totally agree with you. Responsible owners must be fed up to the back teeth with how these dogs get portrayed and this is down to media hype. Reasons i say this is if it had been a Bull breed that had been involved it would be Headline news without doubt. This is exactly why such breeds have a bad name and also being owner but not so responsible owners (which is a huge problem in it's self and them being over bred).Any dog is capable of biting and yes it is more common than most people know and i'm talking from breeds that many people would see as an ideal family dog. I have known of a Labrador bite a child through her face cheek for no good reason but no you won't see that in any paper let alone it making Headline news. When you see photo shots of so called 'Dangerous Dog's (like the bull breeds) it's usually being provoke purposely to get that media shot. Sometimes it can be just a dogs expression like a smile, or excessively panting but the photo shot will capture this in a way to make it look aggresive when it's not. Have to say being an owner for 12 yrs of 2 Bull breeds. I have found that whilst out on walks Collies & Labradors to be the 2 worst breeds for aggresive behaviour and above all the irresponsible owners out there, that will have there dogs off of leads and just let them do what they like. Unfortunately any poor dog owned by these type of people has their lives at stake. To me it should be known as Dangerous Dogs but Dangerous Owners.
Firstly i would like to say sorry to read about the little girl being attacked by a dog and i hope she recovers quickly and not scared mentally as well as physically by whats happened.In regards of those who commented about thank goodness it wasn't Staffies( i would say Bull breeds in general). Well i can fully understand why you would feel that way and i totally agree with you. Responsible owners must be fed up to the back teeth with how these dogs get portrayed and this is down to media hype. Reasons i say this is if it had been a Bull breed that had been involved it would be Headline news without doubt. This is exactly why such breeds have a bad name and also being owner but not so responsible owners (which is a huge problem in it's self and them being over bred).Any dog is capable of biting and yes it is more common than most people know and i'm talking from breeds that many people would see as an ideal family dog. I have known of a Labrador bite a child through her face cheek for no good reason but no you won't see that in any paper let alone it making Headline news. When you see photo shots of so called 'Dangerous Dog's (like the bull breeds) it's usually being provoke purposely to get that media shot. Sometimes it can be just a dogs expression like a smile, or excessively panting but the photo shot will capture this in a way to make it look aggresive when it's not. Have to say being an owner for 12 yrs of 2 Bull breeds. I have found that whilst out on walks Collies & Labradors to be the 2 worst breeds for aggresive behaviour and above all the irresponsible owners out there, that will have there dogs off of leads and just let them do what they like. Unfortunately any poor dog owned by these type of people has their lives at stake. To me it should be known as Dangerous Dogs but Dangerous Owners. Hampshire Hog
  • Score: 9

5:51am Thu 10 Apr 14

bigfella777 says...

robj1969 wrote:
As an owner of two Collies, it makes me sad when I see injuries like this caused by any breed of dog. What I would say though, is if you look at how many dogs bite people compared with people attacking other people, the world would be a safer place if it were filled with dogs.....

I hope the young lady makes a speedy recovery.
Yeah right, 6000 incidents of dogs biting people last year, Google it.
[quote][p][bold]robj1969[/bold] wrote: As an owner of two Collies, it makes me sad when I see injuries like this caused by any breed of dog. What I would say though, is if you look at how many dogs bite people compared with people attacking other people, the world would be a safer place if it were filled with dogs..... I hope the young lady makes a speedy recovery.[/p][/quote]Yeah right, 6000 incidents of dogs biting people last year, Google it. bigfella777
  • Score: -11

7:17am Thu 10 Apr 14

robj1969 says...

bigfella777 wrote:
robj1969 wrote:
As an owner of two Collies, it makes me sad when I see injuries like this caused by any breed of dog. What I would say though, is if you look at how many dogs bite people compared with people attacking other people, the world would be a safer place if it were filled with dogs.....

I hope the young lady makes a speedy recovery.
Yeah right, 6000 incidents of dogs biting people last year, Google it.
and 1.9m incidents of violent crime were recorded in 2012-13 by the Crime Survey for England and Wales,,,,,,,,,
[quote][p][bold]bigfella777[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]robj1969[/bold] wrote: As an owner of two Collies, it makes me sad when I see injuries like this caused by any breed of dog. What I would say though, is if you look at how many dogs bite people compared with people attacking other people, the world would be a safer place if it were filled with dogs..... I hope the young lady makes a speedy recovery.[/p][/quote]Yeah right, 6000 incidents of dogs biting people last year, Google it.[/p][/quote]and 1.9m incidents of violent crime were recorded in 2012-13 by the Crime Survey for England and Wales,,,,,,,,, robj1969
  • Score: 16

7:42am Thu 10 Apr 14

Mj-trucker says...

Any dog that attacks a human, be it an adult or child, should be put down in my opinion.
Any dog that attacks a human, be it an adult or child, should be put down in my opinion. Mj-trucker
  • Score: -5

8:10am Thu 10 Apr 14

stevens1985 says...

They wont name the breed of dog because its not a pittbull,staffie and any other dog that gets bad press I am sure if it was a pittbull it would of been slated and named and shamed
They wont name the breed of dog because its not a pittbull,staffie and any other dog that gets bad press I am sure if it was a pittbull it would of been slated and named and shamed stevens1985
  • Score: 1

8:48am Thu 10 Apr 14

camerajuan says...

Saturdaynight14 wrote:
Jazzek wrote:
For once and thank god it wasn't a Staffordshire bull terrier now bloody what shows one thing it's not staff ok it's a collie or a German Shepard ahhh so does that mean now that they will be classed as dangerous dogs why not cause it's not fair just to blame staffs rant over I have staffs there brilliant dogs !!!!!
I totally agree with you! I have a staffy too! Best dogs in the world! And I'm so glad this has made the press! Just wish they would put in bold writing the breed of dog!
One case of a non staffy attack does not make them the best dogs in the world. Lets be smart about this.
[quote][p][bold]Saturdaynight14[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jazzek[/bold] wrote: For once and thank god it wasn't a Staffordshire bull terrier now bloody what shows one thing it's not staff ok it's a collie or a German Shepard ahhh so does that mean now that they will be classed as dangerous dogs why not cause it's not fair just to blame staffs rant over I have staffs there brilliant dogs !!!!![/p][/quote]I totally agree with you! I have a staffy too! Best dogs in the world! And I'm so glad this has made the press! Just wish they would put in bold writing the breed of dog![/p][/quote]One case of a non staffy attack does not make them the best dogs in the world. Lets be smart about this. camerajuan
  • Score: 1

9:43am Thu 10 Apr 14

Mj-trucker says...

As much as my opinion is put the dog down the majority of dog attacks are down to the owners not the dogs, not necessarily in this case mind
As much as my opinion is put the dog down the majority of dog attacks are down to the owners not the dogs, not necessarily in this case mind Mj-trucker
  • Score: 1

10:21am Thu 10 Apr 14

Torchie1 says...

stevens1985 wrote:
They wont name the breed of dog because its not a pittbull,staffie and any other dog that gets bad press I am sure if it was a pittbull it would of been slated and named and shamed
Why do the words "pittbull,staffie" conjure up an image of a shaven headed, tattooed & pierced half-wit in a vest being taken for a walk by a dog?
[quote][p][bold]stevens1985[/bold] wrote: They wont name the breed of dog because its not a pittbull,staffie and any other dog that gets bad press I am sure if it was a pittbull it would of been slated and named and shamed[/p][/quote]Why do the words "pittbull,staffie" conjure up an image of a shaven headed, tattooed & pierced half-wit in a vest being taken for a walk by a dog? Torchie1
  • Score: 6

11:59am Thu 10 Apr 14

bobby the crane says...

Saturdaynight14 wrote:
Jazzek wrote:
For once and thank god it wasn't a Staffordshire bull terrier now bloody what shows one thing it's not staff ok it's a collie or a German Shepard ahhh so does that mean now that they will be classed as dangerous dogs why not cause it's not fair just to blame staffs rant over I have staffs there brilliant dogs !!!!!
I totally agree with you! I have a staffy too! Best dogs in the world! And I'm so glad this has made the press! Just wish they would put in bold writing the breed of dog!
I agree Staffies are one of the best dogs you can get, great with kids& all the family
[quote][p][bold]Saturdaynight14[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jazzek[/bold] wrote: For once and thank god it wasn't a Staffordshire bull terrier now bloody what shows one thing it's not staff ok it's a collie or a German Shepard ahhh so does that mean now that they will be classed as dangerous dogs why not cause it's not fair just to blame staffs rant over I have staffs there brilliant dogs !!!!![/p][/quote]I totally agree with you! I have a staffy too! Best dogs in the world! And I'm so glad this has made the press! Just wish they would put in bold writing the breed of dog![/p][/quote]I agree Staffies are one of the best dogs you can get, great with kids& all the family bobby the crane
  • Score: -2

1:28pm Thu 10 Apr 14

stoughton25 says...

To the people who are so quick to say put the dog down…
Really? The media tells us what they want us to know. As well the dog did bite the girl it did not ATTACK her. People just expect dogs to let someone do whatever they want to them. Maybe the girl was petting the dog where it didn't like or maybe the dog showed signs before it bit. Dogs will show signs that they are uncomfortable or are going to bite. Do people take the time to research these and know what they are in order to be a responsible owner? Why wasn't the mother right beside the child? Everyone is so quick to blame the animal however its still an animal. They don't speak english. How often do humans make mistakes? Do we kill people even if they have done something far worse then this animal and committed murder? Nope they go to jail and half the time are out way way before they should be. Point being… don't be so quick to say put the animal down. This is the problem with so many of dog owners. They want the animal but don't want to take the time to figure out why its done something wrong, they look for a quick fix and one that doesn't take up their time. After all everyone loves a quick fix.
To the people who are so quick to say put the dog down… Really? The media tells us what they want us to know. As well the dog did bite the girl it did not ATTACK her. People just expect dogs to let someone do whatever they want to them. Maybe the girl was petting the dog where it didn't like or maybe the dog showed signs before it bit. Dogs will show signs that they are uncomfortable or are going to bite. Do people take the time to research these and know what they are in order to be a responsible owner? Why wasn't the mother right beside the child? Everyone is so quick to blame the animal however its still an animal. They don't speak english. How often do humans make mistakes? Do we kill people even if they have done something far worse then this animal and committed murder? Nope they go to jail and half the time are out way way before they should be. Point being… don't be so quick to say put the animal down. This is the problem with so many of dog owners. They want the animal but don't want to take the time to figure out why its done something wrong, they look for a quick fix and one that doesn't take up their time. After all everyone loves a quick fix. stoughton25
  • Score: -2

1:53pm Thu 10 Apr 14

bigfella777 says...

stoughton25 wrote:
To the people who are so quick to say put the dog down…
Really? The media tells us what they want us to know. As well the dog did bite the girl it did not ATTACK her. People just expect dogs to let someone do whatever they want to them. Maybe the girl was petting the dog where it didn't like or maybe the dog showed signs before it bit. Dogs will show signs that they are uncomfortable or are going to bite. Do people take the time to research these and know what they are in order to be a responsible owner? Why wasn't the mother right beside the child? Everyone is so quick to blame the animal however its still an animal. They don't speak english. How often do humans make mistakes? Do we kill people even if they have done something far worse then this animal and committed murder? Nope they go to jail and half the time are out way way before they should be. Point being… don't be so quick to say put the animal down. This is the problem with so many of dog owners. They want the animal but don't want to take the time to figure out why its done something wrong, they look for a quick fix and one that doesn't take up their time. After all everyone loves a quick fix.
If you were locked in a cage with your dog and it got hungry it would eat you in the end. Dogs are just pacified by food.
[quote][p][bold]stoughton25[/bold] wrote: To the people who are so quick to say put the dog down… Really? The media tells us what they want us to know. As well the dog did bite the girl it did not ATTACK her. People just expect dogs to let someone do whatever they want to them. Maybe the girl was petting the dog where it didn't like or maybe the dog showed signs before it bit. Dogs will show signs that they are uncomfortable or are going to bite. Do people take the time to research these and know what they are in order to be a responsible owner? Why wasn't the mother right beside the child? Everyone is so quick to blame the animal however its still an animal. They don't speak english. How often do humans make mistakes? Do we kill people even if they have done something far worse then this animal and committed murder? Nope they go to jail and half the time are out way way before they should be. Point being… don't be so quick to say put the animal down. This is the problem with so many of dog owners. They want the animal but don't want to take the time to figure out why its done something wrong, they look for a quick fix and one that doesn't take up their time. After all everyone loves a quick fix.[/p][/quote]If you were locked in a cage with your dog and it got hungry it would eat you in the end. Dogs are just pacified by food. bigfella777
  • Score: 0

2:29pm Thu 10 Apr 14

cliffwalker says...

stoughton25 wrote:
To the people who are so quick to say put the dog down…
Really? The media tells us what they want us to know. As well the dog did bite the girl it did not ATTACK her. People just expect dogs to let someone do whatever they want to them. Maybe the girl was petting the dog where it didn't like or maybe the dog showed signs before it bit. Dogs will show signs that they are uncomfortable or are going to bite. Do people take the time to research these and know what they are in order to be a responsible owner? Why wasn't the mother right beside the child? Everyone is so quick to blame the animal however its still an animal. They don't speak english. How often do humans make mistakes? Do we kill people even if they have done something far worse then this animal and committed murder? Nope they go to jail and half the time are out way way before they should be. Point being… don't be so quick to say put the animal down. This is the problem with so many of dog owners. They want the animal but don't want to take the time to figure out why its done something wrong, they look for a quick fix and one that doesn't take up their time. After all everyone loves a quick fix.
I'm not quite sure what point you're trying to make. Is it a long prison sentence for the owner or for the mother? Surely not for the dog?
[quote][p][bold]stoughton25[/bold] wrote: To the people who are so quick to say put the dog down… Really? The media tells us what they want us to know. As well the dog did bite the girl it did not ATTACK her. People just expect dogs to let someone do whatever they want to them. Maybe the girl was petting the dog where it didn't like or maybe the dog showed signs before it bit. Dogs will show signs that they are uncomfortable or are going to bite. Do people take the time to research these and know what they are in order to be a responsible owner? Why wasn't the mother right beside the child? Everyone is so quick to blame the animal however its still an animal. They don't speak english. How often do humans make mistakes? Do we kill people even if they have done something far worse then this animal and committed murder? Nope they go to jail and half the time are out way way before they should be. Point being… don't be so quick to say put the animal down. This is the problem with so many of dog owners. They want the animal but don't want to take the time to figure out why its done something wrong, they look for a quick fix and one that doesn't take up their time. After all everyone loves a quick fix.[/p][/quote]I'm not quite sure what point you're trying to make. Is it a long prison sentence for the owner or for the mother? Surely not for the dog? cliffwalker
  • Score: 1

4:37pm Thu 10 Apr 14

camerajuan says...

Torchie1 wrote:
stevens1985 wrote:
They wont name the breed of dog because its not a pittbull,staffie and any other dog that gets bad press I am sure if it was a pittbull it would of been slated and named and shamed
Why do the words "pittbull,staff
ie" conjure up an image of a shaven headed, tattooed & pierced half-wit in a vest being taken for a walk by a dog?
Statistical Probability. Not the dogs fault, but is a very good chance if you own a staffie that you do it to "look hard". See good chance, not set on stone.
[quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stevens1985[/bold] wrote: They wont name the breed of dog because its not a pittbull,staffie and any other dog that gets bad press I am sure if it was a pittbull it would of been slated and named and shamed[/p][/quote]Why do the words "pittbull,staff ie" conjure up an image of a shaven headed, tattooed & pierced half-wit in a vest being taken for a walk by a dog?[/p][/quote]Statistical Probability. Not the dogs fault, but is a very good chance if you own a staffie that you do it to "look hard". See good chance, not set on stone. camerajuan
  • Score: 1

10:59pm Thu 10 Apr 14

gristle says...

Many years ago I was talking to a Gent who was accompanied by a well trained English bull terrier. The dog was obedient and friendly, but the owner warned me not to 'play' with it. He told me that if it did decide to bite, he wouldn't be able to open it's jaws. The dog would then be in control - not good.
Many years ago I was talking to a Gent who was accompanied by a well trained English bull terrier. The dog was obedient and friendly, but the owner warned me not to 'play' with it. He told me that if it did decide to bite, he wouldn't be able to open it's jaws. The dog would then be in control - not good. gristle
  • Score: 2

4:40pm Sat 12 Apr 14

#sotrue says...

camerajuan wrote:
Torchie1 wrote:
stevens1985 wrote:
They wont name the breed of dog because its not a pittbull,staffie and any other dog that gets bad press I am sure if it was a pittbull it would of been slated and named and shamed
Why do the words "pittbull,staff

ie" conjure up an image of a shaven headed, tattooed & pierced half-wit in a vest being taken for a walk by a dog?
Statistical Probability. Not the dogs fault, but is a very good chance if you own a staffie that you do it to "look hard". See good chance, not set on stone.
yeah well i think it is a load of lies because this dog is a freindly dog and the girl diddnt even ask if she could touch the dog and would u like it if someone came in your face and hurt u and im sorry but u are lieing because the dog cant even sit let alone jump up on a child #sooootrue
[quote][p][bold]camerajuan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stevens1985[/bold] wrote: They wont name the breed of dog because its not a pittbull,staffie and any other dog that gets bad press I am sure if it was a pittbull it would of been slated and named and shamed[/p][/quote]Why do the words "pittbull,staff ie" conjure up an image of a shaven headed, tattooed & pierced half-wit in a vest being taken for a walk by a dog?[/p][/quote]Statistical Probability. Not the dogs fault, but is a very good chance if you own a staffie that you do it to "look hard". See good chance, not set on stone.[/p][/quote]yeah well i think it is a load of lies because this dog is a freindly dog and the girl diddnt even ask if she could touch the dog and would u like it if someone came in your face and hurt u and im sorry but u are lieing because the dog cant even sit let alone jump up on a child #sooootrue #sotrue
  • Score: -2

8:41am Sun 13 Apr 14

fluffybunnnie says...

stoughton25 wrote:
To the people who are so quick to say put the dog down…
Really? The media tells us what they want us to know. As well the dog did bite the girl it did not ATTACK her. People just expect dogs to let someone do whatever they want to them. Maybe the girl was petting the dog where it didn't like or maybe the dog showed signs before it bit. Dogs will show signs that they are uncomfortable or are going to bite. Do people take the time to research these and know what they are in order to be a responsible owner? Why wasn't the mother right beside the child? Everyone is so quick to blame the animal however its still an animal. They don't speak english. How often do humans make mistakes? Do we kill people even if they have done something far worse then this animal and committed murder? Nope they go to jail and half the time are out way way before they should be. Point being… don't be so quick to say put the animal down. This is the problem with so many of dog owners. They want the animal but don't want to take the time to figure out why its done something wrong, they look for a quick fix and one that doesn't take up their time. After all everyone loves a quick fix.
well said on the most part, however i do not entirely agree with the last part, the owners may not know that they can fix this issue. it is also up to people to educate themselves as well as others on dog language. my kids are NEVER allowed to approach dogs thay we do not know. dogs also give off clues in their body language, if this girl did not heed these signals that the dog was unhappy (probably doesnt even know what they are) such as lip licking, avoidance of eye contact, whale eye, then what choice does the dog have, but to bite to tell the girl to get off?? the best line of defence dogs have is a growl, a growl is a warning, that the dog is unhappy and a request to back off. unfortunately many dogs are reprimanded for growling, as owners tend to see it as an aggressive thing, so they are trained not to growl. resulting in dogs that can potentially show aggression in certain situations, with very little warning. the answer here? generalised training thoughout the uk on dog behaviour so that cases like this can be a thing of the past
[quote][p][bold]stoughton25[/bold] wrote: To the people who are so quick to say put the dog down… Really? The media tells us what they want us to know. As well the dog did bite the girl it did not ATTACK her. People just expect dogs to let someone do whatever they want to them. Maybe the girl was petting the dog where it didn't like or maybe the dog showed signs before it bit. Dogs will show signs that they are uncomfortable or are going to bite. Do people take the time to research these and know what they are in order to be a responsible owner? Why wasn't the mother right beside the child? Everyone is so quick to blame the animal however its still an animal. They don't speak english. How often do humans make mistakes? Do we kill people even if they have done something far worse then this animal and committed murder? Nope they go to jail and half the time are out way way before they should be. Point being… don't be so quick to say put the animal down. This is the problem with so many of dog owners. They want the animal but don't want to take the time to figure out why its done something wrong, they look for a quick fix and one that doesn't take up their time. After all everyone loves a quick fix.[/p][/quote]well said on the most part, however i do not entirely agree with the last part, the owners may not know that they can fix this issue. it is also up to people to educate themselves as well as others on dog language. my kids are NEVER allowed to approach dogs thay we do not know. dogs also give off clues in their body language, if this girl did not heed these signals that the dog was unhappy (probably doesnt even know what they are) such as lip licking, avoidance of eye contact, whale eye, then what choice does the dog have, but to bite to tell the girl to get off?? the best line of defence dogs have is a growl, a growl is a warning, that the dog is unhappy and a request to back off. unfortunately many dogs are reprimanded for growling, as owners tend to see it as an aggressive thing, so they are trained not to growl. resulting in dogs that can potentially show aggression in certain situations, with very little warning. the answer here? generalised training thoughout the uk on dog behaviour so that cases like this can be a thing of the past fluffybunnnie
  • Score: 0

11:58am Sun 13 Apr 14

#just saying says...

#sotrue wrote:
camerajuan wrote:
Torchie1 wrote:
stevens1985 wrote:
They wont name the breed of dog because its not a pittbull,staffie and any other dog that gets bad press I am sure if it was a pittbull it would of been slated and named and shamed
Why do the words "pittbull,staff


ie" conjure up an image of a shaven headed, tattooed & pierced half-wit in a vest being taken for a walk by a dog?
Statistical Probability. Not the dogs fault, but is a very good chance if you own a staffie that you do it to "look hard". See good chance, not set on stone.
yeah well i think it is a load of lies because this dog is a freindly dog and the girl diddnt even ask if she could touch the dog and would u like it if someone came in your face and hurt u and im sorry but u are lieing because the dog cant even sit let alone jump up on a child #sooootrue
You seem to know the dog, how would you know otherwise if the little girl had asked to touch the dog or not!!!! I'm presuming you are the owner! At the end of the day a child was bitten!! How would you feel if it was your 10yr old little girl! Judging from what the press has said, the owners have declined to comment, it doesn't look good, if the dog or owners were not at fault, then surely the owners would have said!! Especially IF she had hurt the dog, as you say! Again I say, a little girl was bitten!! How do we know this won't happen again, perhaps to a smaller child, with dire consequences!! I hope the girl has a speedy recovery, and isn't scarred, both physically or mentally.
[quote][p][bold]#sotrue[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]camerajuan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stevens1985[/bold] wrote: They wont name the breed of dog because its not a pittbull,staffie and any other dog that gets bad press I am sure if it was a pittbull it would of been slated and named and shamed[/p][/quote]Why do the words "pittbull,staff ie" conjure up an image of a shaven headed, tattooed & pierced half-wit in a vest being taken for a walk by a dog?[/p][/quote]Statistical Probability. Not the dogs fault, but is a very good chance if you own a staffie that you do it to "look hard". See good chance, not set on stone.[/p][/quote]yeah well i think it is a load of lies because this dog is a freindly dog and the girl diddnt even ask if she could touch the dog and would u like it if someone came in your face and hurt u and im sorry but u are lieing because the dog cant even sit let alone jump up on a child #sooootrue[/p][/quote]You seem to know the dog, how would you know otherwise if the little girl had asked to touch the dog or not!!!! I'm presuming you are the owner! At the end of the day a child was bitten!! How would you feel if it was your 10yr old little girl! Judging from what the press has said, the owners have declined to comment, it doesn't look good, if the dog or owners were not at fault, then surely the owners would have said!! Especially IF she had hurt the dog, as you say! Again I say, a little girl was bitten!! How do we know this won't happen again, perhaps to a smaller child, with dire consequences!! I hope the girl has a speedy recovery, and isn't scarred, both physically or mentally. #just saying
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree