After dropping seven dress sizes mum is proud of example she's setting her son

Daily Echo: Suzie today Suzie today

SUZIE Buccheri says she was overweight from a toddler, went on her first diet at junior school and would try any crash diet she could in the name of losing a few pounds.

She tried the cabbage soup diet, eating food that was only the colour purple and even resorted to not eating for days – made difficult by long shifts surrounded by food working in busy restaurants.

But nothing worked and the single mum-of-one knew she couldn’t allow her son, Bailey, to grow up asking why his mummy doesn’t eat on Tuesdays or Thursdays.

However today Suzie is proud that she is setting a good example to her son.

The pair love cooking healthy food together, running around outside and in the photos Bailey takes of his mummy, even she doesn’t recognise herself.

That’s because in less than a year, the 34-year-old has shrunk from a size 22 to a size 6.

“It is just amazing. It doesn’t seem real,” she says.

“Bailey took a photo of me the other day and I didn’t recognise myself even though it was taken the second before. I feel proud I can now set a good example to him and we can both enjoy so much more together.”

Suzie says she can’t remember ever being slimmer than a size 16 before.

At school she’d eat other children’s lunches, binged on junk food and would buy fish and chips on her way home before tucking into a family dinner. But when she was bullied over how she looked in a swimming costume and began dreading changing for PE, her addiction to fad diets began.

“People used to say to me I had a pretty face, it’s a shame I couldn’t lose the weight,” she remembers.

“I did have quite a jokey nature and I was always quite bubbly, but it was a front because I was so ashamed of being so big.

“I tried everything going. I was called Queen of the Fad Diets, but I was fattest out of all my friends.

“I was always just very round, like a barrel. They all failed though as they were never sustainable.”

Aged 30, Suzie, who has worked as a restaurant manager and a waitress, tipped the scales at 15 stone for her 5ft 2inch frame.

“My weight got out of control,” she says. “It got so bad I’d binge on food. I used to work at Pizza Express and when we took an order for a kids’ margarita pizza we’d write: ‘K Marg’ for the chef. One day a new waitress put in an order and her ‘k’ looked like the number 12 so the chef made 12 full size pizzas. I ate three in the space of an hour!

Daily Echo:

“Things got pretty terrible. "They say the weight falls off after you have a child, but for me it didn't. And it was hard being a single mum, I was single for a very long time and it was lonely. I blamed my weight for the fact nobody wanted to have a relationship with me.”

But it was her son Bailey who broke her bad habits.

“It suddenly dawned on me one morning when I had made Bailey’s breakfast and I was forcing down a bizarre breakfast meal concoction – ‘How could I explain that to him?’ He was my trigger.

“I feel sad that I spent a lot of my young life overweight and with issues with food,” she says.

“I didn’t want him to grow up and dread getting changed for PE. I always felt something was wrong with me and it’s not a nice feeling.”

Suzie joined a Slimming World group in March last year and by eating nutritious healthy meals lost six pounds in her first week and three in her second.

Daily Echo:

Suzie, right, on a night out with a friend before her weight loss

Before long, she was getting comments from her friends and colleagues at Jamie Oliver’s chain of restaurants in Winchester and Portsmouth.

She has now lost four stone, weighing 8st 11lb – and has the confidence to recently begin a relationship with Tom, a chef she has known for years.

“He knew me when I was quite big and used to always flirt with me telling me I was beautiful, but I didn’t believe it! It’s been a really accepting love, he’s extremely supportive and it’s really changed my outlook that I can be in a relationship.”

Now Suzie has vowed to help others who have problems losing weight by launching her own Slimming World group in Bishop’s Waltham every Tuesday where she loves seeing members lose weight. But it’s life’s smaller things that make her happiest.

“I have learnt to be kind to myself and not beat myself up and I feel a lot happier and it impacts on the rest of your life,” she says.

Daily Echo:

“I love it when Bailey stands up on a chair helping me stir something fresh and tasty for dinner we’ll eat things like healthy chicken chow mein and the other day we had salmon, pak choi and pea noodles! Just watching him eat some grapes, strawberries, apples, makes me feel proud. I’m so relieved I have ditched the fad diets and I feel like I’m the mum I want to be.”

Comments (20)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:48am Tue 29 Apr 14

rudolph_hucker says...

Well done that lady!
Well done that lady! rudolph_hucker
  • Score: 24

10:21am Tue 29 Apr 14

camerajuan says...

This shouts to all overweight people that you literally have NO excuse to complain about your weight.

If you want to be slimmer, you can do it, but you have to WANT it!
This shouts to all overweight people that you literally have NO excuse to complain about your weight. If you want to be slimmer, you can do it, but you have to WANT it! camerajuan
  • Score: 27

11:43am Tue 29 Apr 14

__KTF__ says...

Why not just be upfront that this is an advert for Slimming World.
Why not just be upfront that this is an advert for Slimming World. __KTF__
  • Score: 4

12:06pm Tue 29 Apr 14

Bevois Valley Resident says...

__KTF__ wrote:
Why not just be upfront that this is an advert for Slimming World.
Maybe because it isn't? She probably got in touch with the paper because she wants to promote her group but that doesn't make it an advert.
[quote][p][bold]__KTF__[/bold] wrote: Why not just be upfront that this is an advert for Slimming World.[/p][/quote]Maybe because it isn't? She probably got in touch with the paper because she wants to promote her group but that doesn't make it an advert. Bevois Valley Resident
  • Score: 10

12:15pm Tue 29 Apr 14

Charlie Bucket says...

__KTF__ wrote:
Why not just be upfront that this is an advert for Slimming World.
How would you suggest they do that?
[quote][p][bold]__KTF__[/bold] wrote: Why not just be upfront that this is an advert for Slimming World.[/p][/quote]How would you suggest they do that? Charlie Bucket
  • Score: 1

12:17pm Tue 29 Apr 14

camerajuan says...

__KTF__ wrote:
Why not just be upfront that this is an advert for Slimming World.
Why's it not an advert for Pizza Express or Jamie Oliver's restaurants?

It's neither. But by your logic it could be.
[quote][p][bold]__KTF__[/bold] wrote: Why not just be upfront that this is an advert for Slimming World.[/p][/quote]Why's it not an advert for Pizza Express or Jamie Oliver's restaurants? It's neither. But by your logic it could be. camerajuan
  • Score: 3

1:22pm Tue 29 Apr 14

daisy.talks says...

well done her, bit too much emphasis on the 'relationship status' you don't have to have a fella to be happy, I assume it wasn't an immaculate conception?
well done her, bit too much emphasis on the 'relationship status' you don't have to have a fella to be happy, I assume it wasn't an immaculate conception? daisy.talks
  • Score: -4

1:53pm Tue 29 Apr 14

Zexagon says...

Is she really a size 6 ? I thought that was ultra skinny ill size. Good on her though
Is she really a size 6 ? I thought that was ultra skinny ill size. Good on her though Zexagon
  • Score: -1

3:58pm Tue 29 Apr 14

userds5050 says...

camerajuan wrote:
__KTF__ wrote:
Why not just be upfront that this is an advert for Slimming World.
Why's it not an advert for Pizza Express or Jamie Oliver's restaurants?

It's neither. But by your logic it could be.
Not sure it's much of an advert for pizza express or Jamie Oliver when stuffing her face on pizza is how she put the weight on in the first place.
[quote][p][bold]camerajuan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]__KTF__[/bold] wrote: Why not just be upfront that this is an advert for Slimming World.[/p][/quote]Why's it not an advert for Pizza Express or Jamie Oliver's restaurants? It's neither. But by your logic it could be.[/p][/quote]Not sure it's much of an advert for pizza express or Jamie Oliver when stuffing her face on pizza is how she put the weight on in the first place. userds5050
  • Score: 0

4:34pm Tue 29 Apr 14

Kirsty666 says...

Well done but is it a slow news day?
Well done but is it a slow news day? Kirsty666
  • Score: -1

5:29pm Tue 29 Apr 14

downfader says...

__KTF__ wrote:
Why not just be upfront that this is an advert for Slimming World.
Even if it was - would that be a bad thing? She's done well, now she intends to share and help others. Thats admirable woudnt you say?
[quote][p][bold]__KTF__[/bold] wrote: Why not just be upfront that this is an advert for Slimming World.[/p][/quote]Even if it was - would that be a bad thing? She's done well, now she intends to share and help others. Thats admirable woudnt you say? downfader
  • Score: 5

6:54pm Tue 29 Apr 14

Kirsty666 says...

Zexagon wrote:
Is she really a size 6 ? I thought that was ultra skinny ill size. Good on her though
I would say 8-10
[quote][p][bold]Zexagon[/bold] wrote: Is she really a size 6 ? I thought that was ultra skinny ill size. Good on her though[/p][/quote]I would say 8-10 Kirsty666
  • Score: -1

8:40pm Tue 29 Apr 14

Greener72 says...

Zexagon wrote:
Is she really a size 6 ? I thought that was ultra skinny ill size. Good on her though
She looks perfect as a size 6 because she is short. If she were tall she would be skinny as a 6.
[quote][p][bold]Zexagon[/bold] wrote: Is she really a size 6 ? I thought that was ultra skinny ill size. Good on her though[/p][/quote]She looks perfect as a size 6 because she is short. If she were tall she would be skinny as a 6. Greener72
  • Score: 5

9:20pm Tue 29 Apr 14

Reality-man says...

Where's the shot of her holding her old big trousers up? Or with both legs in one of the legs?
Where's the shot of her holding her old big trousers up? Or with both legs in one of the legs? Reality-man
  • Score: 1

10:41pm Tue 29 Apr 14

hays1179 says...

well done !!
well done !! hays1179
  • Score: 3

7:32am Wed 30 Apr 14

vangobbel says...

This has to be at least the fourth slimming world story this year. I'm yet to see a weight loss story that doesn't mention it. Clearly someone at the echo is on the take.
This has to be at least the fourth slimming world story this year. I'm yet to see a weight loss story that doesn't mention it. Clearly someone at the echo is on the take. vangobbel
  • Score: -4

7:50am Wed 30 Apr 14

Charlie Bucket says...

vangobbel wrote:
This has to be at least the fourth slimming world story this year. I'm yet to see a weight loss story that doesn't mention it. Clearly someone at the echo is on the take.
Or there's a legitimate business deal between Slimming World and the Echo. It's always "oooh, an underhand conspiracy!" with you lot.
[quote][p][bold]vangobbel[/bold] wrote: This has to be at least the fourth slimming world story this year. I'm yet to see a weight loss story that doesn't mention it. Clearly someone at the echo is on the take.[/p][/quote]Or there's a legitimate business deal between Slimming World and the Echo. It's always "oooh, an underhand conspiracy!" with you lot. Charlie Bucket
  • Score: 2

9:13am Wed 30 Apr 14

Raxx says...

Bevois Valley Resident wrote:
__KTF__ wrote:
Why not just be upfront that this is an advert for Slimming World.
Maybe because it isn't? She probably got in touch with the paper because she wants to promote her group but that doesn't make it an advert.
Try searching the Echo site for "slimming world"

There's absolutely no doubt that either there's some sort of commercial deal.

Which would be fine if they were upfront about it, as magazines are ('sponsored article' or similar), but without that it's dishonest journalism.
[quote][p][bold]Bevois Valley Resident[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]__KTF__[/bold] wrote: Why not just be upfront that this is an advert for Slimming World.[/p][/quote]Maybe because it isn't? She probably got in touch with the paper because she wants to promote her group but that doesn't make it an advert.[/p][/quote]Try searching the Echo site for "slimming world" There's absolutely no doubt that either there's some sort of commercial deal. Which would be fine if they were upfront about it, as magazines are ('sponsored article' or similar), but without that it's dishonest journalism. Raxx
  • Score: 1

12:49pm Wed 30 Apr 14

camerajuan says...

userds5050 wrote:
camerajuan wrote:
__KTF__ wrote:
Why not just be upfront that this is an advert for Slimming World.
Why's it not an advert for Pizza Express or Jamie Oliver's restaurants?

It's neither. But by your logic it could be.
Not sure it's much of an advert for pizza express or Jamie Oliver when stuffing her face on pizza is how she put the weight on in the first place.
So, when these places advertise themselves and their name is mentioned on public media they want people NOT to eat their food?!
[quote][p][bold]userds5050[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]camerajuan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]__KTF__[/bold] wrote: Why not just be upfront that this is an advert for Slimming World.[/p][/quote]Why's it not an advert for Pizza Express or Jamie Oliver's restaurants? It's neither. But by your logic it could be.[/p][/quote]Not sure it's much of an advert for pizza express or Jamie Oliver when stuffing her face on pizza is how she put the weight on in the first place.[/p][/quote]So, when these places advertise themselves and their name is mentioned on public media they want people NOT to eat their food?! camerajuan
  • Score: 1

1:37pm Wed 30 Apr 14

daisy.talks says...

Reality-man wrote:
Where's the shot of her holding her old big trousers up? Or with both legs in one of the legs?
haha yes that really is the 'standard' weightloss picture isn't it? maybe nipper is making a den out of them?
[quote][p][bold]Reality-man[/bold] wrote: Where's the shot of her holding her old big trousers up? Or with both legs in one of the legs?[/p][/quote]haha yes that really is the 'standard' weightloss picture isn't it? maybe nipper is making a den out of them? daisy.talks
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree