Farewell party for Newtown Adventure Playground in Southampton

Children, parents and staff at the final day of Newtown Adventure Playground in Southampton

Children, parents and staff at the final day of Newtown Adventure Playground in Southampton

First published in News Daily Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Senior reporter

IT has been at the heart of the community for 40 years.

Generations of children have played, learned and thrived at a popular youth centre in one of Southampton’s most multicultural neighbourhoods.

Many of the youngsters who grew up to have families of their own were among those at an emotional farewell party at Newtown Adventure Playground yesterday.

The Northumberland Road-based centre is closing because of budget cuts – just a year after a £422,000 renovation.

Southampton City Council is closing it and the Zoe Braithwaite Play Centre in Lordshill to save £135,000 a year as part of the city’s worst-ever cuts.

The Lordshill centre will reopen this summer with Oasis Lord’s Hill Community Hub running a pre-school and out of school activity.

The Newtown centre, featuring an activities hall, kitchen and toilets, has been serving as a pre-school, run by Southampton YMCA since April 22.

But parents complain this only caters for under-fives rather than teenagers and older children, while its adjoining adventure playground with swings, climbing frames will still be open to the public but unstaffed.

The centre’s two permanent staff and four youth workers have until the end of this month to be redeployed elsewhere in the authority or find new jobs.

They put on a brave face as they welcomed families for party games, music and food and handed out balloons to youngsters.

They reminisced, browsing through photographs of former events at the playground including its opening in 1969.

The centre was developed predominantly by the city’s West Indian community who put up a makeshift building on an old bomb site. It was briefly shut by environmental health teams in the 1970s before it was later run by the council and the building improved.

Only last year the building and neighbouring park were refurbished and it holds regular sporting, arts, crafts, cooking, gardening activities and away days.

It has up to 400 children on its books from more than 40 different nationalities.

The centre has forged links with Maytree Nursery and Infants and Mount Pleasant Junior schools and staff offer vital support to families often struggling with financial problems.

A council spokesman said: “YMCA Southampton has been runing a pre-school since April 22 and is looking to deliver other community activities in the summer.”

Comments (21)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:26am Sun 4 May 14

bigfella777 says...

mickey01 wrote:
looks more like a photo from Bangladesh
No it doesn't, I cant see any rice paddy's or tea gardens.
[quote][p][bold]mickey01[/bold] wrote: looks more like a photo from Bangladesh[/p][/quote]No it doesn't, I cant see any rice paddy's or tea gardens. bigfella777
  • Score: -3

9:34am Sun 4 May 14

bigfella777 says...

Lockssmart wrote:
bigfella777 wrote:
mickey01 wrote:
looks more like a photo from Bangladesh
No it doesn't, I cant see any rice paddy's or tea gardens.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Bigfella777 is boring us all again, this time with racist remarks.
How dare you, the first comment I found racist that is why I corrected it,
[quote][p][bold]Lockssmart[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bigfella777[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mickey01[/bold] wrote: looks more like a photo from Bangladesh[/p][/quote]No it doesn't, I cant see any rice paddy's or tea gardens.[/p][/quote]Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Bigfella777 is boring us all again, this time with racist remarks.[/p][/quote]How dare you, the first comment I found racist that is why I corrected it, bigfella777
  • Score: 4

10:00am Sun 4 May 14

Charlie Bucket says...

Lockssmart wrote:
bigfella777 wrote:
mickey01 wrote:
looks more like a photo from Bangladesh
No it doesn't, I cant see any rice paddy's or tea gardens.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Bigfella777 is boring us all again, this time with racist remarks.
I don't think he is you know.
[quote][p][bold]Lockssmart[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bigfella777[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mickey01[/bold] wrote: looks more like a photo from Bangladesh[/p][/quote]No it doesn't, I cant see any rice paddy's or tea gardens.[/p][/quote]Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Bigfella777 is boring us all again, this time with racist remarks.[/p][/quote]I don't think he is you know. Charlie Bucket
  • Score: 4

10:39am Sun 4 May 14

chimneysweep 1234 says...

Glad its closed out money on that no thanks oap i dont mind but payingfor kids clubs no way
Glad its closed out money on that no thanks oap i dont mind but payingfor kids clubs no way chimneysweep 1234
  • Score: -16

11:37am Sun 4 May 14

St.Winch70 says...

chimneysweep 1234 wrote:
Glad its closed out money on that no thanks oap i dont mind but payingfor kids clubs no way
Yes, because you know the mischief that those OAPs will get up to if there are not enough community led schemes to keep them busy, focussed and foster a sense of respect for others and property.....
[quote][p][bold]chimneysweep 1234[/bold] wrote: Glad its closed out money on that no thanks oap i dont mind but payingfor kids clubs no way[/p][/quote]Yes, because you know the mischief that those OAPs will get up to if there are not enough community led schemes to keep them busy, focussed and foster a sense of respect for others and property..... St.Winch70
  • Score: 4

12:09pm Sun 4 May 14

southy says...

How many years now have we had spineless councils under all 3 of the main partys none will take the fight to government, they just roll over and accept every thing that the government hands out.
How many years now have we had spineless councils under all 3 of the main partys none will take the fight to government, they just roll over and accept every thing that the government hands out. southy
  • Score: -4

12:16pm Sun 4 May 14

Paramjit Bahia says...

NuLabour's economic and social priorities are obviously decided in some lunatic asylum.

After spending thousands upon thousands pounds on improving youth centre the NuLabour run Council has decided to abandon the place.

By completely closing facilities for kids the crazy councillors are creating situation which can only encourage them to hang around shops and street corners, without any help guidance and supervision from adult youth workers.

Stupid policy may save Leader of Council Cllr. Simon Letts few quid for wasting on junkets for his colleagues but it is likely to create environment suitable for producing yobs.

Rather than moaning about youngsters in inner city areas like New Town or in estates like Lordshill professional moaners, especially on this site, should be condemning the morons responsible for creating breeding ground for badly behaving generation.
NuLabour's economic and social priorities are obviously decided in some lunatic asylum. After spending thousands upon thousands pounds on improving youth centre the NuLabour run Council has decided to abandon the place. By completely closing facilities for kids the crazy councillors are creating situation which can only encourage them to hang around shops and street corners, without any help guidance and supervision from adult youth workers. Stupid policy may save Leader of Council Cllr. Simon Letts few quid for wasting on junkets for his colleagues but it is likely to create environment suitable for producing yobs. Rather than moaning about youngsters in inner city areas like New Town or in estates like Lordshill professional moaners, especially on this site, should be condemning the morons responsible for creating breeding ground for badly behaving generation. Paramjit Bahia
  • Score: 1

12:28pm Sun 4 May 14

Paramjit Bahia says...

southy wrote:
How many years now have we had spineless councils under all 3 of the main partys none will take the fight to government, they just roll over and accept every thing that the government hands out.
Peter,
Like most cowards most of these councillors love attacking harassing and picking upon vulnerable and weak, in this case poor kids, but the gutless self serving and unprincipled lot lack the courage to confront arrogant out of touch posh lads in London.
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: How many years now have we had spineless councils under all 3 of the main partys none will take the fight to government, they just roll over and accept every thing that the government hands out.[/p][/quote]Peter, Like most cowards most of these councillors love attacking harassing and picking upon vulnerable and weak, in this case poor kids, but the gutless self serving and unprincipled lot lack the courage to confront arrogant out of touch posh lads in London. Paramjit Bahia
  • Score: 1

12:57pm Sun 4 May 14

southy says...

Paramjit Bahia wrote:
southy wrote:
How many years now have we had spineless councils under all 3 of the main partys none will take the fight to government, they just roll over and accept every thing that the government hands out.
Peter,
Like most cowards most of these councillors love attacking harassing and picking upon vulnerable and weak, in this case poor kids, but the gutless self serving and unprincipled lot lack the courage to confront arrogant out of touch posh lads in London.
That,s where the TUSC are different they will attack the Main Government, so much for Letts promise at the TUSC meeting that evening
[quote][p][bold]Paramjit Bahia[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: How many years now have we had spineless councils under all 3 of the main partys none will take the fight to government, they just roll over and accept every thing that the government hands out.[/p][/quote]Peter, Like most cowards most of these councillors love attacking harassing and picking upon vulnerable and weak, in this case poor kids, but the gutless self serving and unprincipled lot lack the courage to confront arrogant out of touch posh lads in London.[/p][/quote]That,s where the TUSC are different they will attack the Main Government, so much for Letts promise at the TUSC meeting that evening southy
  • Score: -3

1:14pm Sun 4 May 14

03alpe01 says...

Sad times
Sad times 03alpe01
  • Score: 4

2:17pm Sun 4 May 14

solomum says...

chimneysweep 1234 wrote:
Glad its closed out money on that no thanks oap i dont mind but payingfor kids clubs no way
You selfish person. Kids are the future generation, and kids clubs keep them out of trouble and provide good role models so they can grow up to be responsible adults.
[quote][p][bold]chimneysweep 1234[/bold] wrote: Glad its closed out money on that no thanks oap i dont mind but payingfor kids clubs no way[/p][/quote]You selfish person. Kids are the future generation, and kids clubs keep them out of trouble and provide good role models so they can grow up to be responsible adults. solomum
  • Score: 7

2:47pm Sun 4 May 14

Dai Rear says...

One assumes that some of the alumni are financially placed to save their alma mater. The interesting question is why THEY don't think it's worth putting their hands in their pockets, as people do every day in the USA.
One assumes that some of the alumni are financially placed to save their alma mater. The interesting question is why THEY don't think it's worth putting their hands in their pockets, as people do every day in the USA. Dai Rear
  • Score: 0

3:06pm Sun 4 May 14

Dai Rear says...

I notice that Olive Road has just done this. If I suggest a factor in that group's "user-base" all the old lefties will start banging their dreary "rac-ism" drum. So I won't.
I notice that Olive Road has just done this. If I suggest a factor in that group's "user-base" all the old lefties will start banging their dreary "rac-ism" drum. So I won't. Dai Rear
  • Score: -1

3:58pm Sun 4 May 14

loosehead says...

When I was younger if there were any youth clubs you'd be very lucky but the one that opened one night of the week you paid for.
400 children at £2 a week could pay for two people to look after the children & maybe if the parents think this is a valued asset a £5/fiver payment each week for each child could fully staff it at no cost to the council or do they want this facility for free?
When I was younger if there were any youth clubs you'd be very lucky but the one that opened one night of the week you paid for. 400 children at £2 a week could pay for two people to look after the children & maybe if the parents think this is a valued asset a £5/fiver payment each week for each child could fully staff it at no cost to the council or do they want this facility for free? loosehead
  • Score: -1

4:04pm Sun 4 May 14

loosehead says...

As another poster has said maybe this is what they should be doing.
A FORMER disused youth club building has been given a new lease of life thanks to the work of local charities and volunteers.
So a group of people who wanted this facility as with Oaklands swimming pool have found the means to save it & keep it running at no cost to the council so come on Newtown parents do you really want this facility?
As another poster has said maybe this is what they should be doing. A FORMER disused youth club building has been given a new lease of life thanks to the work of local charities and volunteers. So a group of people who wanted this facility as with Oaklands swimming pool have found the means to save it & keep it running at no cost to the council so come on Newtown parents do you really want this facility? loosehead
  • Score: -1

6:10pm Sun 4 May 14

Rob444 says...

How long before the Council sells the land off to developers to build flats on?

I just hope they blocks will not be too high.
How long before the Council sells the land off to developers to build flats on? I just hope they blocks will not be too high. Rob444
  • Score: 7

9:17pm Sun 4 May 14

loosehead says...

Rob444 wrote:
How long before the Council sells the land off to developers to build flats on?

I just hope they blocks will not be too high.
No can't happen as according to Inform Al this is only ever done by the Tories.
[quote][p][bold]Rob444[/bold] wrote: How long before the Council sells the land off to developers to build flats on? I just hope they blocks will not be too high.[/p][/quote]No can't happen as according to Inform Al this is only ever done by the Tories. loosehead
  • Score: 1

9:59pm Sun 4 May 14

Georgethepie says...

Funny isn't it. The council won't step into help in terms of funding yet places like this could probably survive unfunded if councils just cut red tape.
Still I'm will to bet the big wigs in the council still get wage rises and no cuts to expenses packages. The only waste of money here is the council itself.
Funny isn't it. The council won't step into help in terms of funding yet places like this could probably survive unfunded if councils just cut red tape. Still I'm will to bet the big wigs in the council still get wage rises and no cuts to expenses packages. The only waste of money here is the council itself. Georgethepie
  • Score: 1

7:59am Mon 5 May 14

loosehead says...

Georgethepie wrote:
Funny isn't it. The council won't step into help in terms of funding yet places like this could probably survive unfunded if councils just cut red tape.
Still I'm will to bet the big wigs in the council still get wage rises and no cuts to expenses packages. The only waste of money here is the council itself.
why don't they do as Coxford residents have done? if one area can cut through the red tape & save a youth facility why can't this one?
Maybe contact the Coxford site & find out how to do it would be a starter?
Or is it a case this land is earmarked for development & the council are using the Governments funding as a way to justify developing this land?
[quote][p][bold]Georgethepie[/bold] wrote: Funny isn't it. The council won't step into help in terms of funding yet places like this could probably survive unfunded if councils just cut red tape. Still I'm will to bet the big wigs in the council still get wage rises and no cuts to expenses packages. The only waste of money here is the council itself.[/p][/quote]why don't they do as Coxford residents have done? if one area can cut through the red tape & save a youth facility why can't this one? Maybe contact the Coxford site & find out how to do it would be a starter? Or is it a case this land is earmarked for development & the council are using the Governments funding as a way to justify developing this land? loosehead
  • Score: 2

3:42pm Mon 5 May 14

Inform Al says...

loosehead wrote:
Rob444 wrote:
How long before the Council sells the land off to developers to build flats on?

I just hope they blocks will not be too high.
No can't happen as according to Inform Al this is only ever done by the Tories.
Try getting your facts right, I have mentioned the case where the Tories sold off two of our essential community assets in Swaythling, without even giving us the chance to CONTINUE to run one of them ourselves at no cost to the council. I have never said that only the Tories are guilty of such acts, but I note that even Labour have pulled their socks up now with the Oaklands pool and nursery sites. I also note that Southampton gets less of its tax money back from the Tory government than Tory Hampshire gets per head. This will not help anyone running Southampton's finances.
[quote][p][bold]loosehead[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Rob444[/bold] wrote: How long before the Council sells the land off to developers to build flats on? I just hope they blocks will not be too high.[/p][/quote]No can't happen as according to Inform Al this is only ever done by the Tories.[/p][/quote]Try getting your facts right, I have mentioned the case where the Tories sold off two of our essential community assets in Swaythling, without even giving us the chance to CONTINUE to run one of them ourselves at no cost to the council. I have never said that only the Tories are guilty of such acts, but I note that even Labour have pulled their socks up now with the Oaklands pool and nursery sites. I also note that Southampton gets less of its tax money back from the Tory government than Tory Hampshire gets per head. This will not help anyone running Southampton's finances. Inform Al
  • Score: -1

3:55pm Mon 5 May 14

loosehead says...

Inform Al wrote:
loosehead wrote:
Rob444 wrote:
How long before the Council sells the land off to developers to build flats on?

I just hope they blocks will not be too high.
No can't happen as according to Inform Al this is only ever done by the Tories.
Try getting your facts right, I have mentioned the case where the Tories sold off two of our essential community assets in Swaythling, without even giving us the chance to CONTINUE to run one of them ourselves at no cost to the council. I have never said that only the Tories are guilty of such acts, but I note that even Labour have pulled their socks up now with the Oaklands pool and nursery sites. I also note that Southampton gets less of its tax money back from the Tory government than Tory Hampshire gets per head. This will not help anyone running Southampton's finances.
Does the Tory Hampshire council have a cash cow like Southampton City Council?
I wonder how much the Hampshire Country Council would give for the revenue from the Itchen Bridge?
[quote][p][bold]Inform Al[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loosehead[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Rob444[/bold] wrote: How long before the Council sells the land off to developers to build flats on? I just hope they blocks will not be too high.[/p][/quote]No can't happen as according to Inform Al this is only ever done by the Tories.[/p][/quote]Try getting your facts right, I have mentioned the case where the Tories sold off two of our essential community assets in Swaythling, without even giving us the chance to CONTINUE to run one of them ourselves at no cost to the council. I have never said that only the Tories are guilty of such acts, but I note that even Labour have pulled their socks up now with the Oaklands pool and nursery sites. I also note that Southampton gets less of its tax money back from the Tory government than Tory Hampshire gets per head. This will not help anyone running Southampton's finances.[/p][/quote]Does the Tory Hampshire council have a cash cow like Southampton City Council? I wonder how much the Hampshire Country Council would give for the revenue from the Itchen Bridge? loosehead
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree