Winchester city centre 20mph zones to go ahead

Daily Echo: A 20mph speed limit will be implemented in Winchester city centre A 20mph speed limit will be implemented in Winchester city centre

CONTROVERSIAL plans to cap speed limits in Winchester city centre to 20mph will be implemented, it has been confirmed.

Work on reducing the current 30mph restriction in a bid to promote healthier travel options and cut the number of traffic-related casualties is expected to start as early as August.

City council officer Andy Hickman said: “We’re hoping it will make the city a more pleasurable place for people to walk and cycle. Experience from around the country shows these schemes have significant benefits. The results from Portsmouth showed a reduction in the number of casualties, so there are wider benefits as well.”

At a council meeting, reports that traffic volumes in Great Minster Street had reduced by 40 per cent since The Square was refurbished were contested by chairman of the St Swithun Street and Symonds Street residents’ association, Peter Grant, who objected to the proposal.

“We have already had experience of the 20mph limits,” he said. “It was introduced in 2012 and it had a shocking increase in speeding of five times [of what it had been before]. That’s huge.

“That is such an incredible increase that we have to stop and take recognition of it.

“It’s quite clear to all of us that the lack of enforcement means drivers have two fingers in the air and we have seen this in The Square. It says no access and yet there are 500 cars there every day.

“Unless this is enforced, frankly, you are all wasting your money.

“Maybe it will make you feel better but there’s no evidence it will help. If you do go ahead with this scheme, one thing I ask is that you do before and after surveys and you publish them.”

Cllr Brian Collin, of St John and All Saints ward, said: “I am in favour of the report and I have been a champion of 20mph limits in residential and commercial streets in Winchester.

“Now 20mph is being proposed for the centre of the city – the commercial core street. For the most part this proposal is sound but there are glaring problems in its implementation.

“I submit that the effect of the city centre 20mph proposal on these two junctions makes the stretch of Wales Street and the stretch of Chesil Street leading to the start of the city centre 20mph area positively dangerous.

“I urge you to make sure that as part of your recommendation these two stretches of street are included in the schedules and join up the thinking behind the existing 20mph areas and the proposed city centre one.”

While councillors listened to pleas to extend the parameters beyond the scope of the old Roman walls, it was argued that any abstention would result in time lost.

The plan is for all roads from Blue Ball Hill to St Thomas Street to the bottom of Romsey Road and Arthur Road in Hyde to be included.

Cllr Tony Coates said: “If we were to push this back today we would be losing about 12 months.

“Let’s get on with it and implement as much of the 20mph restriction as we can.”

Comments (15)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:01am Sun 4 May 14

Arfursround table says...

Somedays you'd be lucky to get upto 20mph in Winchester. Living and working in Winchester i see delivery drivers park where they like, cars blocking the yellow box junction outside Mcdonalds just to get infront of a bus with traffic wardens and police not taking any notice.
Somedays you'd be lucky to get upto 20mph in Winchester. Living and working in Winchester i see delivery drivers park where they like, cars blocking the yellow box junction outside Mcdonalds just to get infront of a bus with traffic wardens and police not taking any notice. Arfursround table
  • Score: 12

9:22am Sun 4 May 14

forest tony says...

I would much rather prefer to see cars banned from using city centres, only deliveries, taxis and buses allowed,. I have often wondered the logic behind modern day cars made to do 20 mph, the impact of cars driving at low gear can only add to pollution levels, especially in built up areas, is it not these areas where we already have air quality problems? Little thought these days go into traffic management it seems!
I would much rather prefer to see cars banned from using city centres, only deliveries, taxis and buses allowed,. I have often wondered the logic behind modern day cars made to do 20 mph, the impact of cars driving at low gear can only add to pollution levels, especially in built up areas, is it not these areas where we already have air quality problems? Little thought these days go into traffic management it seems! forest tony
  • Score: 1

9:27am Sun 4 May 14

bigfella777 says...

Hopefully Southampton will follow suit
Hopefully Southampton will follow suit bigfella777
  • Score: -6

9:59am Sun 4 May 14

Charlie Bucket says...

bigfella777 wrote:
Hopefully Southampton will follow suit
When was the last time you saw anyone getting near to that speed in the city?
[quote][p][bold]bigfella777[/bold] wrote: Hopefully Southampton will follow suit[/p][/quote]When was the last time you saw anyone getting near to that speed in the city? Charlie Bucket
  • Score: 15

10:23am Sun 4 May 14

Copperman says...

That is 20 times faster that the traffic chaos in Southampton. Gridlock City as they should call it or home of the traffic light. I do not know what the City planners are doing but I give Southampton a wide berth now. Hate going there.
That is 20 times faster that the traffic chaos in Southampton. Gridlock City as they should call it or home of the traffic light. I do not know what the City planners are doing but I give Southampton a wide berth now. Hate going there. Copperman
  • Score: 11

10:27am Sun 4 May 14

skeptik says...

Many of our cities are ancient and the roads are where they are - traffic management or not. Old enough to remember the Saturday morning motorcycle maniacs on their 'burn up' from the Broadway to the Westgate - you could hear them coming and get on the pavements. As youngsters in the 1950s we could get around on bicycles (traffic mechanical and foot was at a slower pace of life than the must get there of today) not sure I would like to now.
Many of our cities are ancient and the roads are where they are - traffic management or not. Old enough to remember the Saturday morning motorcycle maniacs on their 'burn up' from the Broadway to the Westgate - you could hear them coming and get on the pavements. As youngsters in the 1950s we could get around on bicycles (traffic mechanical and foot was at a slower pace of life than the must get there of today) not sure I would like to now. skeptik
  • Score: 4

11:40am Sun 4 May 14

good-gosh says...

My wife asked one day, as I drove her round town, why girls on the pavement caused my to car slow down – now there will be a good excuse.
My wife asked one day, as I drove her round town, why girls on the pavement caused my to car slow down – now there will be a good excuse. good-gosh
  • Score: 2

12:33pm Sun 4 May 14

bigfella777 says...

Charlie Bucket wrote:
bigfella777 wrote:
Hopefully Southampton will follow suit
When was the last time you saw anyone getting near to that speed in the city?
About 5 minutes ago
[quote][p][bold]Charlie Bucket[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bigfella777[/bold] wrote: Hopefully Southampton will follow suit[/p][/quote]When was the last time you saw anyone getting near to that speed in the city?[/p][/quote]About 5 minutes ago bigfella777
  • Score: -1

1:34pm Sun 4 May 14

snookymom says...

What an absolute joke, why spend thousands on signage and enforcement, when your chances of getting above 20 in that area are minimal, spend it on something that is actually NEEDED!
What an absolute joke, why spend thousands on signage and enforcement, when your chances of getting above 20 in that area are minimal, spend it on something that is actually NEEDED! snookymom
  • Score: 8

2:29pm Sun 4 May 14

biggus2 says...

I would not worry it wont be enforced. There aren't the traffic cops to do it and they cant enforce it. Just like Portsmouth they have had 20 mph for years and no one takes any notice of it and it s not enforced.
I would not worry it wont be enforced. There aren't the traffic cops to do it and they cant enforce it. Just like Portsmouth they have had 20 mph for years and no one takes any notice of it and it s not enforced. biggus2
  • Score: 2

5:45pm Sun 4 May 14

Kirsty666 says...

bigfella777 wrote:
Charlie Bucket wrote:
bigfella777 wrote:
Hopefully Southampton will follow suit
When was the last time you saw anyone getting near to that speed in the city?
About 5 minutes ago
Charlie Bucket Big Head.... You obviously don't visit Southampton that often, both myself and husband work in the city and funnily enough live in the centre of town...... Getting to the point the only time morons don't speed is when the football is on full blow either heading towards or away from St Mary's stadium and rush hour other than that motorists don't care what a speed limit is.
[quote][p][bold]bigfella777[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Charlie Bucket[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bigfella777[/bold] wrote: Hopefully Southampton will follow suit[/p][/quote]When was the last time you saw anyone getting near to that speed in the city?[/p][/quote]About 5 minutes ago[/p][/quote]Charlie Bucket Big Head.... You obviously don't visit Southampton that often, both myself and husband work in the city and funnily enough live in the centre of town...... Getting to the point the only time morons don't speed is when the football is on full blow either heading towards or away from St Mary's stadium and rush hour other than that motorists don't care what a speed limit is. Kirsty666
  • Score: 0

6:03pm Sun 4 May 14

Charlie Bucket says...

Kirsty666 wrote:
bigfella777 wrote:
Charlie Bucket wrote:
bigfella777 wrote:
Hopefully Southampton will follow suit
When was the last time you saw anyone getting near to that speed in the city?
About 5 minutes ago
Charlie Bucket Big Head.... You obviously don't visit Southampton that often, both myself and husband work in the city and funnily enough live in the centre of town...... Getting to the point the only time morons don't speed is when the football is on full blow either heading towards or away from St Mary's stadium and rush hour other than that motorists don't care what a speed limit is.
If they don't care what the speed limit is, what's the point of making it lower?
[quote][p][bold]Kirsty666[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bigfella777[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Charlie Bucket[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bigfella777[/bold] wrote: Hopefully Southampton will follow suit[/p][/quote]When was the last time you saw anyone getting near to that speed in the city?[/p][/quote]About 5 minutes ago[/p][/quote]Charlie Bucket Big Head.... You obviously don't visit Southampton that often, both myself and husband work in the city and funnily enough live in the centre of town...... Getting to the point the only time morons don't speed is when the football is on full blow either heading towards or away from St Mary's stadium and rush hour other than that motorists don't care what a speed limit is.[/p][/quote]If they don't care what the speed limit is, what's the point of making it lower? Charlie Bucket
  • Score: 3

7:12pm Sun 4 May 14

Kirsty666 says...

Charlie Bucket wrote:
Kirsty666 wrote:
bigfella777 wrote:
Charlie Bucket wrote:
bigfella777 wrote:
Hopefully Southampton will follow suit
When was the last time you saw anyone getting near to that speed in the city?
About 5 minutes ago
Charlie Bucket Big Head.... You obviously don't visit Southampton that often, both myself and husband work in the city and funnily enough live in the centre of town...... Getting to the point the only time morons don't speed is when the football is on full blow either heading towards or away from St Mary's stadium and rush hour other than that motorists don't care what a speed limit is.
If they don't care what the speed limit is, what's the point of making it lower?
So the council look like they're doing their jobs correctly!
[quote][p][bold]Charlie Bucket[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Kirsty666[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bigfella777[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Charlie Bucket[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bigfella777[/bold] wrote: Hopefully Southampton will follow suit[/p][/quote]When was the last time you saw anyone getting near to that speed in the city?[/p][/quote]About 5 minutes ago[/p][/quote]Charlie Bucket Big Head.... You obviously don't visit Southampton that often, both myself and husband work in the city and funnily enough live in the centre of town...... Getting to the point the only time morons don't speed is when the football is on full blow either heading towards or away from St Mary's stadium and rush hour other than that motorists don't care what a speed limit is.[/p][/quote]If they don't care what the speed limit is, what's the point of making it lower?[/p][/quote]So the council look like they're doing their jobs correctly! Kirsty666
  • Score: 1

7:51pm Sun 4 May 14

MisterTom says...

What's the point ?? Will people drive at 20 mph?? What they need is a no car zone!
What's the point ?? Will people drive at 20 mph?? What they need is a no car zone! MisterTom
  • Score: -2

3:46pm Mon 5 May 14

Inform Al says...

bigfella777 wrote:
Charlie Bucket wrote:
bigfella777 wrote:
Hopefully Southampton will follow suit
When was the last time you saw anyone getting near to that speed in the city?
About 5 minutes ago
We are talking about Winchester here, not Southampton. It will be nice to be able to reach 20mph in daytime Winchester, I could be tempted to visit again.
[quote][p][bold]bigfella777[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Charlie Bucket[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bigfella777[/bold] wrote: Hopefully Southampton will follow suit[/p][/quote]When was the last time you saw anyone getting near to that speed in the city?[/p][/quote]About 5 minutes ago[/p][/quote]We are talking about Winchester here, not Southampton. It will be nice to be able to reach 20mph in daytime Winchester, I could be tempted to visit again. Inform Al
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree