Asbestos led to veteran’s death

Daily Echo: Lymington New Forest Hospital, where Eric Catchpole died after being diagnosed with the lung cancer mesothelioma Lymington New Forest Hospital, where Eric Catchpole died after being diagnosed with the lung cancer mesothelioma

A WAR veteran died from exposure to asbestos during his time in the military, an inquest heard.

Eric Catchpole died at Lymington New Forest Hospital after being diagnosed with the lung cancer mesothelioma.

A Southampton inquest heard how the 90-year-old great-grandfather from Campion Way, Lymington, served as a stoker for the Royal Navy.

He worked and even slept in ship engine rooms lagged with asbestos, the inquest was told.

He died on April 5.

Pathologist Dr Norman Carr told the inquest the pensioner’s lungs showed evidence of asbestos exposure, plus chronic bronchitis and emphysema.

Southampton deputy coroner Gordon Denson recorded a verdict of death by industrial disease.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree