Manilow fans, known as Fanilows, hit back after Daily Echo review of star's concert at Ageas Bowl in West End

Loyal fans: Barry Manilow

Loyal fans: Barry Manilow

First published in News
Last updated
Daily Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Entertainments Editor

THEY’RE the most fearsome fan club of all.

Barry Manilow lovers are not called Fanilows for nothing, a fact I’ve learned to my cost this week.

The dedicated followers of the Mandy singer will follow him anyw h e r e , even to West End.

Daily Echo:

He doesn’t tour the UK often and, for seven years, they had to travel to Vegas to get their Barry fix.

So when he played Hampshire this week, nothing but a five star review would do.

But my review of the show was lukewarm, as was the weather and the reception he received at the Ageas Bowl last weekend.

Yes he did turn up on stage an hour late and, in my opinion, his voice did sound as though it had lost some of its sparkle.

Nevertheless, in my review of the show I had to agree that due to the crooner’s back catalogue few among the crowd of less than 10,000 went home disappointed.

But that didn’t stop Barry’s barmy army of followers turning me into public enemy number one and putting me at the top of their hit list.

Daily Echo:

Having enjoyed a 40-year career, most of Manilow’s fans are not as young as they were. But that hasn’t stopped them indulging in a spot of cyber bullying.

I’m beginning to understand what it feels like to be anyone who has vaguely upset or been involved with any member of One Direction.

A few Fanilows spent the bank holiday weekend abusing me for being appalling, disgusting and, the most original slight of all, a lazy journalist.

One fan in the US, who didn’t attend the concert, decided I, a complete stranger, was horrid, meanspirited and in a foul mood in a series of email rants.

But I stand by my comments, which were fair and reflected a night that wasn’t the brightest spot in my journalistic career.

Manilow has sold 76 million records, although only Fanilows admit to buying them. But, I was curious, as I am whenever a showbiz legend turns up on my doorstep.

He is wary of writers, refusing all review tickets in a move which I’ve only encountered on one other occasion – for Meatloaf, who had a terrible time at Broadlands six years ago. I wondered what he was so afraid of ?

The event’s press office offered to sneak me into the photographers pit but, wanting to get a better view of what was on offer, I decided to snap up some cut price Groupon tickets for £22.50 each.

Daily Echo:

There was organised chaos outside with long queues snaking back from the box office in heavy rain as the support act took to the stage.

At last we get into the venue, very late, so some of the Fanilows were cross. But not with Barry, for he can do no wrong.

Due to the poor turnout – I estimate between 7,000 to 8,000 – the stage had been moved and some top price seats on the pitch in the rain had been double booked. Luckily, the cheap seats were under cover.

When the rain died down and Manilow finally took to the stage more than an hour late according to the timings I was handed (45 minutes according to another schedule published) he spent much of the show bemoaning the British weather.

Daily Echo:

What had promised to be a washout though improved significantly with a shorter than expected one and a quarter hour selection of hits from his back catalogue.

He certainly entertained.

Some loved it, rushing forwards with their glowsticks held aloft to Could It Be Magic, others hated it, booing his late appearance and groaning at his joke British summertime version of Santa Claus Is Coming To Town.

I could have been a great deal harsher, but I’m always keen to be fair to both the performer, who is giving their all on stage, and the audience, who have shelled out their hard-earned cash for tickets.

And anyway, it’s only my opinion.

My experience of Manilow Mania has not made me want to sign up immediately for the Barry Manilow International Fan Club, UK branch any time soon.

In fact, if I ever hear Copacabana again, I might just scream.

Comments (34)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:53am Sun 1 Jun 14

footballcrazy says...

i find this womans comments calling fans barmy army rude and disrespectfull. obviously in the groupon seats she was disgruntled. my son takes me as although not a fan likes to look after me. he actually said he prefered this show althought late because of fiasco of tickets, i hold ageas responsible for this as did not happen at other concerts on this tour. how about investigating this? or are you just trying to make a name for youself?
i find this womans comments calling fans barmy army rude and disrespectfull. obviously in the groupon seats she was disgruntled. my son takes me as although not a fan likes to look after me. he actually said he prefered this show althought late because of fiasco of tickets, i hold ageas responsible for this as did not happen at other concerts on this tour. how about investigating this? or are you just trying to make a name for youself? footballcrazy
  • Score: 16

11:56am Sun 1 Jun 14

andysaints007 says...

I'm not even a Manilow fan but when I read your review last week it made me realise what a sh*t journalist (and I use that word lightly) you really are! You couldn't even get song titles correct. It's not the first time either.
I'm not even a Manilow fan but when I read your review last week it made me realise what a sh*t journalist (and I use that word lightly) you really are! You couldn't even get song titles correct. It's not the first time either. andysaints007
  • Score: 33

11:57am Sun 1 Jun 14

footballcrazy says...

he also was at 02 in 2012 and 2013 so you got that wrong as well
he also was at 02 in 2012 and 2013 so you got that wrong as well footballcrazy
  • Score: 28

11:59am Sun 1 Jun 14

elvisimo says...

You stick your opinions out there for all to read - maybe a tad too sensitive and in the wrong job.
You stick your opinions out there for all to read - maybe a tad too sensitive and in the wrong job. elvisimo
  • Score: 21

12:21pm Sun 1 Jun 14

SPIKEISLANDTRADER says...

Its JUST NOT CRICKET !!!!
Its JUST NOT CRICKET !!!! SPIKEISLANDTRADER
  • Score: 9

12:34pm Sun 1 Jun 14

Madamejane says...

It's not seven years since Barry was here! He done concerts at the O2 in 2011 and a tour in 2012 ,so she's even got that wrong! I think she's just making things up as she goes along! Bet she had no idea how much his fans love him and will stand up for him! Especially when journalists like her write a load of lies!
It's not seven years since Barry was here! He done concerts at the O2 in 2011 and a tour in 2012 ,so she's even got that wrong! I think she's just making things up as she goes along! Bet she had no idea how much his fans love him and will stand up for him! Especially when journalists like her write a load of lies! Madamejane
  • Score: 19

1:03pm Sun 1 Jun 14

burgerboy says...

I always thought Fanilows were woman with extremely short legs.........
I always thought Fanilows were woman with extremely short legs......... burgerboy
  • Score: 24

1:48pm Sun 1 Jun 14

Zexagon says...

andysaints007 wrote:
I'm not even a Manilow fan but when I read your review last week it made me realise what a sh*t journalist (and I use that word lightly) you really are! You couldn't even get song titles correct. It's not the first time either.
Steady on you've used more than two words on one of your posts :-)
[quote][p][bold]andysaints007[/bold] wrote: I'm not even a Manilow fan but when I read your review last week it made me realise what a sh*t journalist (and I use that word lightly) you really are! You couldn't even get song titles correct. It's not the first time either.[/p][/quote]Steady on you've used more than two words on one of your posts :-) Zexagon
  • Score: 11

1:50pm Sun 1 Jun 14

*ay*carumba* says...

Since when were Journalists allowed an "opinion"?, Journalists are supposed to report correct facts and be impartial.
Since when were Journalists allowed an "opinion"?, Journalists are supposed to report correct facts and be impartial. *ay*carumba*
  • Score: 22

2:52pm Sun 1 Jun 14

ItchenBridger says...

Manilow has applied for the managers job at St.Marys.
Manilow has applied for the managers job at St.Marys. ItchenBridger
  • Score: 0

3:37pm Sun 1 Jun 14

oakleyshades says...

Not entirely sure why you would write such defensive article.

No fan of BM here, but you come over rather petty. I didn't make it to the end of your article, I'm afraid your writing skills maybe better placed elsewhere.

Bizarrely someone somewhere edited this and approved a pretty mediocre publication even by DE standards.

Perhaps take whatever criticism that was made as a gift, and look to improve next time - sorry I missed your original review as well, but judging from the above, I don't think I missed a lot.

Whatever your opinion is I can forgive it if it is different to anyone else - thank goodness we are all different, but by the looks of it your facts were off as well, that is less easily forgiven.
Not entirely sure why you would write such defensive article. No fan of BM here, but you come over rather petty. I didn't make it to the end of your article, I'm afraid your writing skills maybe better placed elsewhere. Bizarrely someone somewhere edited this and approved a pretty mediocre publication even by DE standards. Perhaps take whatever criticism that was made as a gift, and look to improve next time - sorry I missed your original review as well, but judging from the above, I don't think I missed a lot. Whatever your opinion is I can forgive it if it is different to anyone else - thank goodness we are all different, but by the looks of it your facts were off as well, that is less easily forgiven. oakleyshades
  • Score: 24

3:54pm Sun 1 Jun 14

Tallship says...

I find it amazing that the fans of Mr Manilow reacted in this way. This country has a free press and therefore if a reporter writes an article on a concert they went to it's thier view of what happened. Fans may agreer or disagree that's fair enough.
I find it amazing that the fans of Mr Manilow reacted in this way. This country has a free press and therefore if a reporter writes an article on a concert they went to it's thier view of what happened. Fans may agreer or disagree that's fair enough. Tallship
  • Score: -13

4:18pm Sun 1 Jun 14

THEKILLER says...

Perhaps the Echo would like to investigate the ticketing fiasco. When you had some that paid up to £90 for VIP seats sat next to Groupon £22.50 tickets
Perhaps the Echo would like to investigate the ticketing fiasco. When you had some that paid up to £90 for VIP seats sat next to Groupon £22.50 tickets THEKILLER
  • Score: 14

4:27pm Sun 1 Jun 14

Lord Swood says...

Journalism is defined as "The style of writing characteristic of material in newspapers and magazines, consisting of direct presentation of facts or occurrences with little attempt at analysis or interpretation."

You failed to apply this fundamental, in both articles. Miss.Reddin, your immature, acidic and chirlish attitude is a disgrace to journalism.

You say it's just 'your opinion', sorry but we don't want 'your opinion'.

p.s. I'm not a 'Fanilow'.
Journalism is defined as "The style of writing characteristic of material in newspapers and magazines, consisting of direct presentation of facts or occurrences with little attempt at analysis or interpretation." You failed to apply this fundamental, in both articles. Miss.Reddin, your immature, acidic and chirlish attitude is a disgrace to journalism. You say it's just 'your opinion', sorry but we don't want 'your opinion'. p.s. I'm not a 'Fanilow'. Lord Swood
  • Score: 24

5:46pm Sun 1 Jun 14

SPIKEISLANDTRADER says...

ItchenBridger wrote:
Manilow has applied for the managers job at St.Marys.
Thought it was STEVIE WONDER ??????????
[quote][p][bold]ItchenBridger[/bold] wrote: Manilow has applied for the managers job at St.Marys.[/p][/quote]Thought it was STEVIE WONDER ?????????? SPIKEISLANDTRADER
  • Score: -1

6:22pm Sun 1 Jun 14

elvisimo says...

*ay*carumba* wrote:
Since when were Journalists allowed an "opinion"?, Journalists are supposed to report correct facts and be impartial.
Probably allowed one when it is a review- that said getting basic facts right would be a start.
[quote][p][bold]*ay*carumba*[/bold] wrote: Since when were Journalists allowed an "opinion"?, Journalists are supposed to report correct facts and be impartial.[/p][/quote]Probably allowed one when it is a review- that said getting basic facts right would be a start. elvisimo
  • Score: 10

6:41pm Sun 1 Jun 14

magman says...

Poor old Lorelei, she writes a poor article and then moans about the fact she receives complaints about it.

Why couldn't the journalist, who admits here that she had contact with the event's press office, have contacted them on the evening and asked why the concert was delayed. Barry Manilow has commented that he was told by organisers that it was too dangerous to go on stage because of the weather. That's why the concert was delayed.

Hopefully when Lorelei attends events in the future she'll have the decency of checking the correct titles of songs, find out why there are delays and also try to find out more about why there was so many problems with ticketing.
Poor old Lorelei, she writes a poor article and then moans about the fact she receives complaints about it. Why couldn't the journalist, who admits here that she had contact with the event's press office, have contacted them on the evening and asked why the concert was delayed. Barry Manilow has commented that he was told by organisers that it was too dangerous to go on stage because of the weather. That's why the concert was delayed. Hopefully when Lorelei attends events in the future she'll have the decency of checking the correct titles of songs, find out why there are delays and also try to find out more about why there was so many problems with ticketing. magman
  • Score: 19

6:46pm Sun 1 Jun 14

MrFarrell14 says...

"But I stand by my comments, which were fair and reflected a night that wasn’t the brightest spot in my journalistic career. "

- Really? Your career actually has 'bright spots'?

"He is wary of writers, refusing all review tickets in a move which I’ve only encountered on one other occasion – for Meatloaf, who had a terrible time at Broadlands six years ago. I wondered what he was so afraid of ?"

- Lazy journalists such as yourself misreporting facts, I'd imagine.
"But I stand by my comments, which were fair and reflected a night that wasn’t the brightest spot in my journalistic career. " - Really? Your career actually has 'bright spots'? "He is wary of writers, refusing all review tickets in a move which I’ve only encountered on one other occasion – for Meatloaf, who had a terrible time at Broadlands six years ago. I wondered what he was so afraid of ?" - Lazy journalists such as yourself misreporting facts, I'd imagine. MrFarrell14
  • Score: 21

7:42pm Sun 1 Jun 14

Eve543 says...

I was at the concert I paid for a premium seat which was changed and then was given another seat but someone was sat in it - as the concert was about to start I had no seat. I am unable to get any compensation and due to the seating fiasco the whole concert was spoilt for me. Have seen Westlife and Boyzone in the rain, both groups came on early and did a full concert. Barry was good but by then the whole evening was spoilt. There were no large screens and he was a dot in the distance. It was badly organised from start to finish.
I was at the concert I paid for a premium seat which was changed and then was given another seat but someone was sat in it - as the concert was about to start I had no seat. I am unable to get any compensation and due to the seating fiasco the whole concert was spoilt for me. Have seen Westlife and Boyzone in the rain, both groups came on early and did a full concert. Barry was good but by then the whole evening was spoilt. There were no large screens and he was a dot in the distance. It was badly organised from start to finish. Eve543
  • Score: 7

10:15pm Sun 1 Jun 14

Huffter says...

"Having enjoyed a 40-year career, most of Manilow’s fans are not as young as they were"
How on earth can a journalist have researched the fact that most of Barry Manilow's fans have had a 40 year career?
"Having enjoyed a 40-year career, most of Manilow’s fans are not as young as they were" How on earth can a journalist have researched the fact that most of Barry Manilow's fans have had a 40 year career? Huffter
  • Score: 7

11:26pm Sun 1 Jun 14

lymicherry says...

"And anyway, it's only my opinion". Too right - so why be so touchy, precious and defensive when anyone dares to challenge it?
"And anyway, it's only my opinion". Too right - so why be so touchy, precious and defensive when anyone dares to challenge it? lymicherry
  • Score: 14

10:00am Mon 2 Jun 14

Positively4thStreet says...

footballcrazy wrote:
i find this womans comments calling fans barmy army rude and disrespectfull. obviously in the groupon seats she was disgruntled. my son takes me as although not a fan likes to look after me. he actually said he prefered this show althought late because of fiasco of tickets, i hold ageas responsible for this as did not happen at other concerts on this tour. how about investigating this? or are you just trying to make a name for youself?
Still,fair play to the girl,for being the first Echo reporter,to ever come back with their own post in response to serious criticism. Should happen more often.
[quote][p][bold]footballcrazy[/bold] wrote: i find this womans comments calling fans barmy army rude and disrespectfull. obviously in the groupon seats she was disgruntled. my son takes me as although not a fan likes to look after me. he actually said he prefered this show althought late because of fiasco of tickets, i hold ageas responsible for this as did not happen at other concerts on this tour. how about investigating this? or are you just trying to make a name for youself?[/p][/quote]Still,fair play to the girl,for being the first Echo reporter,to ever come back with their own post in response to serious criticism. Should happen more often. Positively4thStreet
  • Score: -3

10:05am Mon 2 Jun 14

Positively4thStreet says...

Positively4thStreet wrote:
footballcrazy wrote:
i find this womans comments calling fans barmy army rude and disrespectfull. obviously in the groupon seats she was disgruntled. my son takes me as although not a fan likes to look after me. he actually said he prefered this show althought late because of fiasco of tickets, i hold ageas responsible for this as did not happen at other concerts on this tour. how about investigating this? or are you just trying to make a name for youself?
Still,fair play to the girl,for being the first Echo reporter,to ever come back with their own post in response to serious criticism. Should happen more often.
Sorry,don't know how FootballCrazy's post got quoted with mine,it wasn't meant to be,I was referring the DE reporters piece.
[quote][p][bold]Positively4thStreet[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]footballcrazy[/bold] wrote: i find this womans comments calling fans barmy army rude and disrespectfull. obviously in the groupon seats she was disgruntled. my son takes me as although not a fan likes to look after me. he actually said he prefered this show althought late because of fiasco of tickets, i hold ageas responsible for this as did not happen at other concerts on this tour. how about investigating this? or are you just trying to make a name for youself?[/p][/quote]Still,fair play to the girl,for being the first Echo reporter,to ever come back with their own post in response to serious criticism. Should happen more often.[/p][/quote]Sorry,don't know how FootballCrazy's post got quoted with mine,it wasn't meant to be,I was referring the DE reporters piece. Positively4thStreet
  • Score: 0

3:44pm Mon 2 Jun 14

Max(fanilow) Bokking says...

If you call yourself a journalist!!.. PLEASE, check all info about the number. Barry Manilow's latest info about record sales are 80 million sales. Your 76 are at least 5 or 6 years ago. So, If you are a good journalist (and I doubt that). DO you homework!!..
My friends from the Netherlands toured with Barry from City to City this time in the UK.. And this concert you referring to wasn't 'maybe the best organised! BUt Barry wanted to perform there for the Fans!! But the promoter advised otherwise! BUT BARRY insist to do the show. THAT'S the real entertainer! Even when the rain was pouring down... But instead of giving Barry the biggest compliment you stepped him into the ground!!. Well, lady .. the Fanilows from all over the world are all behind him. THIS little UK-tour was the best ever and Barry was on top!! They never heard him singing this great!!.
Kind regards,
Max Bokking,
The Netherlands
www.barrymanilow.nl


!
If you call yourself a journalist!!.. PLEASE, check all info about the number. Barry Manilow's latest info about record sales are 80 million sales. Your 76 are at least 5 or 6 years ago. So, If you are a good journalist (and I doubt that). DO you homework!!.. My friends from the Netherlands toured with Barry from City to City this time in the UK.. And this concert you referring to wasn't 'maybe the best organised! BUt Barry wanted to perform there for the Fans!! But the promoter advised otherwise! BUT BARRY insist to do the show. THAT'S the real entertainer! Even when the rain was pouring down... But instead of giving Barry the biggest compliment you stepped him into the ground!!. Well, lady .. the Fanilows from all over the world are all behind him. THIS little UK-tour was the best ever and Barry was on top!! They never heard him singing this great!!. Kind regards, Max Bokking, The Netherlands www.barrymanilow.nl ! Max(fanilow) Bokking
  • Score: 15

5:33pm Mon 2 Jun 14

Saddogitte says...

I saw him on the Graham Norton Show and thought he was awful. Still, only my opinion.
I saw him on the Graham Norton Show and thought he was awful. Still, only my opinion. Saddogitte
  • Score: -6

9:32pm Mon 2 Jun 14

gml381bm says...

Your opinion of Barry and his peformance is neither here nor there. That is YOUR opinion and everyone is different. However as a journalist surely you should be presenting the facts. The fact that there was a ticket fiasco relating to duplicates. That there was no security to prevent people from surging forward to the front. That stewards could offer no assistance to people with ticket issues. That the bad weather caused the delay in Barry performing as officials stated it was unsafe for him to go out on stage. That there was a curfew of 10.30pm which meant that Barry was unable to perform past this hence the shortened concert. You say 'to the fans Barry can do no wrong' but what exactly had he done wrong? It seems to me that it was all out of his control. Then you wonder why the fans have a go at you and you go on the defensive and call them 'barmy'. I think it's pretty obvious who is barmy and it's not the fans.
Ps/ I am 43 (hardly ancient!) and VERY proud to be a fan of Barry Manilow.
Your opinion of Barry and his peformance is neither here nor there. That is YOUR opinion and everyone is different. However as a journalist surely you should be presenting the facts. The fact that there was a ticket fiasco relating to duplicates. That there was no security to prevent people from surging forward to the front. That stewards could offer no assistance to people with ticket issues. That the bad weather caused the delay in Barry performing as officials stated it was unsafe for him to go out on stage. That there was a curfew of 10.30pm which meant that Barry was unable to perform past this hence the shortened concert. You say 'to the fans Barry can do no wrong' but what exactly had he done wrong? It seems to me that it was all out of his control. Then you wonder why the fans have a go at you and you go on the defensive and call them 'barmy'. I think it's pretty obvious who is barmy and it's not the fans. Ps/ I am 43 (hardly ancient!) and VERY proud to be a fan of Barry Manilow. gml381bm
  • Score: 9

9:37pm Mon 2 Jun 14

LightYagimae says...

You know nothing, about Barry. You, not being a fan, have no right to even write a review. YOU, should be, so honored that Barry even comes to the UK at all to perform. So it rained, the point is, the show did, go on. If you did, your homework about Barry, you would have known that he considers his fans, who know about him, as family. You, only know OF, him. So do not, write a review, about someone who you are completely clueless about.
He has 80 million sales in records. You have done?
He has helped out many through various charities. You have done?
He has had a successful run with Harmony, his musical dream. You have done?
And you have done? Oh that's right, while you sit behind a desk, getting paid by a penny pinching boss, to write about people you're clueless about, Barry is still, going on, successfully I might add, with much more to come in the future.
Moral of this comment, don't write about about someone you only know OF, and not about. It's just ugly.
You know nothing, about Barry. You, not being a fan, have no right to even write a review. YOU, should be, so honored that Barry even comes to the UK at all to perform. So it rained, the point is, the show did, go on. If you did, your homework about Barry, you would have known that he considers his fans, who know about him, as family. You, only know OF, him. So do not, write a review, about someone who you are completely clueless about. He has 80 million sales in records. You have done? He has helped out many through various charities. You have done? He has had a successful run with Harmony, his musical dream. You have done? And you have done? Oh that's right, while you sit behind a desk, getting paid by a penny pinching boss, to write about people you're clueless about, Barry is still, going on, successfully I might add, with much more to come in the future. Moral of this comment, don't write about about someone you only know OF, and not about. It's just ugly. LightYagimae
  • Score: 3

9:46pm Mon 2 Jun 14

mlcl2427 says...

Omg I read the 1st bit and couldn't believe what I was reading, this woman gets paid to do this job.......

He doesn’t tour the UK often and, for seven years, they had to travel to Vegas to get their Barry fix. ....................
..

Are you sure............., I gave up after this 1st paragraph, of incorrect journalism.

When did Barry last tour the uk, and when did he before that, and that........7 years my a**
Omg I read the 1st bit and couldn't believe what I was reading, this woman gets paid to do this job....... He doesn’t tour the UK often and, for seven years, they had to travel to Vegas to get their Barry fix. .................... .. Are you sure............., I gave up after this 1st paragraph, of incorrect journalism. When did Barry last tour the uk, and when did he before that, and that........7 years my a** mlcl2427
  • Score: 4

9:15pm Tue 3 Jun 14

Lord Swood says...

Ms.Reddin, I hope you've read all of the above comments.

Your second piece of garbage was nothing more than a weak (and quite frankly pathetic) attempt to fend off criticism of your journalistic inabilities. You were trying to suggest all the criticism you have incurred, was merely the result of some frenzied and emotional backlash, by lifelong Manilow fans, who were springing to their idol's defence.

What these and previous comments have shown, is that is not the case, you are simply incompetent.

I would suggest you study journalism. If you have already been to journalism school, then go again (but this time, go in).
Ms.Reddin, I hope you've read all of the above comments. Your second piece of garbage was nothing more than a weak (and quite frankly pathetic) attempt to fend off criticism of your journalistic inabilities. You were trying to suggest all the criticism you have incurred, was merely the result of some frenzied and emotional backlash, by lifelong Manilow fans, who were springing to their idol's defence. What these and previous comments have shown, is that is not the case, you are simply incompetent. I would suggest you study journalism. If you have already been to journalism school, then go again (but this time, go in). Lord Swood
  • Score: 6

9:29pm Tue 3 Jun 14

janey3 says...

everyone knows fanilows are nothing short of maniacal but I wonder what barry thinks about how rude, vicious and spiteful they are. he won't know of course because he won't be remotely interested in their comments on articles like this.
you can disagree with someone without tearing them to shreds. well no, you can't if you're a fanilow.
everyone knows fanilows are nothing short of maniacal but I wonder what barry thinks about how rude, vicious and spiteful they are. he won't know of course because he won't be remotely interested in their comments on articles like this. you can disagree with someone without tearing them to shreds. well no, you can't if you're a fanilow. janey3
  • Score: -3

9:56pm Tue 3 Jun 14

Lord Swood says...

janey3 wrote:
everyone knows fanilows are nothing short of maniacal but I wonder what barry thinks about how rude, vicious and spiteful they are. he won't know of course because he won't be remotely interested in their comments on articles like this.
you can disagree with someone without tearing them to shreds. well no, you can't if you're a fanilow.
Yes, I think Barry would be appalled how spiteful this 'article' is. Let's take a closer look...

THEY’RE the most fearsome fan club of all.
> I think dedicated or loyal might be a better words, fearsome is insulting and negative.

The dedicated followers of the Mandy singer will follow him anyw h e r e , even to West End.
> And what is wrong with West End exactly?, makes it sound like the worst place on earth. Insult West End, why not.

But that didn’t stop Barry’s barmy army of followers turning me into public enemy number one and putting me at the top of their hit list.
> Why are his followers 'Barmy'?, very insulting to suggest people who like his music are somehow mentally disturbed. Shocking thing to say in a press article.

But I stand by my comments, which were fair and reflected a night that wasn’t the brightest spot in my journalistic career.
> So, you're ok with your insults?

At last we get into the venue, very late, so some of the Fanilows were cross. But not with Barry, for he can do no wrong.
> What connection does Barry have with the promoters ineptitude?

In fact, if I ever hear Copacabana again, I might just scream.
> Why? Don't tell me Barry has offended you too?

Comfortable with insulting people, but can't take being insulted.
[quote][p][bold]janey3[/bold] wrote: everyone knows fanilows are nothing short of maniacal but I wonder what barry thinks about how rude, vicious and spiteful they are. he won't know of course because he won't be remotely interested in their comments on articles like this. you can disagree with someone without tearing them to shreds. well no, you can't if you're a fanilow.[/p][/quote]Yes, I think Barry would be appalled how spiteful this 'article' is. Let's take a closer look... THEY’RE the most fearsome fan club of all. > I think dedicated or loyal might be a better words, fearsome is insulting and negative. The dedicated followers of the Mandy singer will follow him anyw h e r e , even to West End. > And what is wrong with West End exactly?, makes it sound like the worst place on earth. Insult West End, why not. But that didn’t stop Barry’s barmy army of followers turning me into public enemy number one and putting me at the top of their hit list. > Why are his followers 'Barmy'?, very insulting to suggest people who like his music are somehow mentally disturbed. Shocking thing to say in a press article. But I stand by my comments, which were fair and reflected a night that wasn’t the brightest spot in my journalistic career. > So, you're ok with your insults? At last we get into the venue, very late, so some of the Fanilows were cross. But not with Barry, for he can do no wrong. > What connection does Barry have with the promoters ineptitude? In fact, if I ever hear Copacabana again, I might just scream. > Why? Don't tell me Barry has offended you too? Comfortable with insulting people, but can't take being insulted. Lord Swood
  • Score: 7

10:36pm Tue 3 Jun 14

munizmarcia says...

The person who wrote this article knows nothing about this great singer. I just looked at her face to see what she might like. Barry Manilow is not for her taste. He is caviar and I'm sure she prefers grass.
The person who wrote this article knows nothing about this great singer. I just looked at her face to see what she might like. Barry Manilow is not for her taste. He is caviar and I'm sure she prefers grass. munizmarcia
  • Score: 6

9:53pm Wed 4 Jun 14

kabala says...

BARRY MANILOW AND HIS MUSIC WILL STAND THE TEST OF TIME THEY WILL MAKE THREW THE RAIN AND BEYOND> I WILL ALWAYS BE A FANILOW NO MATTER WHAT. BARRY IS A MUSIC GOD!
BARRY MANILOW AND HIS MUSIC WILL STAND THE TEST OF TIME THEY WILL MAKE THREW THE RAIN AND BEYOND> I WILL ALWAYS BE A FANILOW NO MATTER WHAT. BARRY IS A MUSIC GOD! kabala
  • Score: 2

10:00pm Wed 4 Jun 14

SueE17 says...

Your original article was full of errors, mistakes and unprofessional criticism. This article is even worse. Barry Manilow is a great singer, is loyal to his fans, and his shows are just amazing. On top of all this he is, unlike many other artists I have met, a genuine nice guy with time for everyone. Your editor should be ashamed and publish an official apology.
Your original article was full of errors, mistakes and unprofessional criticism. This article is even worse. Barry Manilow is a great singer, is loyal to his fans, and his shows are just amazing. On top of all this he is, unlike many other artists I have met, a genuine nice guy with time for everyone. Your editor should be ashamed and publish an official apology. SueE17
  • Score: 7

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree