A MEMORIAL to remember the role that Hamble North Airfield played in the Second World War has been unveiled.
Dozens of people turned out to see the granite memorial, erected by the Airfields of Britain Conservation Trust (ABCT).
Hamble Airfield opened as a training centre in 1926 and it became a vital cog in Britain’s war machine during the Second World War, servicing thousands of Spitfires.
It did not survive the war unscathed. On November 23, 1940, incendiary bombs were dropped on it.