High-rise flat fire caused by candles setting fire to curtains in Canberra Towers in Southampton

Canberra Towers in Southampton

Canberra Towers in Southampton

First published in News
Last updated

A BLAZE broke out in a Southampton flat after candles set light to curtains.

Fire crews from across the city were called to the seventh floor flat in Canberra Towers, Kingsclere Avenue, Weston, at 9.30pm.

They rescued a kitten from the property which the resident had already escaped from.

The candle had been on a chest of drawers below the curtains in the lounge and had no base.

Now Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service is urging people to keep candles away from curtains, furniture and not to leave them unattended.

Mick Thompson the officer in charge of the incident said: "Fortunately, when the resident discovered the fire they did exactly the right thing and shut the door to the lounge, containing the flames to that room.

"Candles, particularly scented ones, should always be placed in a suitable holder as they are designed to liquefy to release their fragrance.

"They should also be placed well away from anything like curtains, furniture or plants and they should never be left unattended."

Comments (27)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:22pm Sun 15 Jun 14

mickey01 says...

what idiots would have candles near curtains especially when not on holders they get on my wick
what idiots would have candles near curtains especially when not on holders they get on my wick mickey01
  • Score: 16

4:30pm Sun 15 Jun 14

Zexagon says...

A cat in Canberra towers?
A cat in Canberra towers? Zexagon
  • Score: 6

4:48pm Sun 15 Jun 14

sparkster says...

I think the reporter means chest of drawers not chest of draws, does anyone proof read??? Glad the resident got out and the poor kitten, stupid idea having candles near curtains
I think the reporter means chest of drawers not chest of draws, does anyone proof read??? Glad the resident got out and the poor kitten, stupid idea having candles near curtains sparkster
  • Score: -4

4:56pm Sun 15 Jun 14

lewissv says...

Really stupid. We lost firemen not too long ago due to similar stupidity. It's not even about education - if you can't work out all by yourself that doing that is dangerous then lord help the human race.
Really stupid. We lost firemen not too long ago due to similar stupidity. It's not even about education - if you can't work out all by yourself that doing that is dangerous then lord help the human race. lewissv
  • Score: 21

4:59pm Sun 15 Jun 14

Charlie Bucket says...

sparkster wrote:
I think the reporter means chest of drawers not chest of draws, does anyone proof read??? Glad the resident got out and the poor kitten, stupid idea having candles near curtains
"and the poor kitten" what? Your post contains truly terrible grammar. Does anyone proof read?
[quote][p][bold]sparkster[/bold] wrote: I think the reporter means chest of drawers not chest of draws, does anyone proof read??? Glad the resident got out and the poor kitten, stupid idea having candles near curtains[/p][/quote]"and the poor kitten" what? Your post contains truly terrible grammar. Does anyone proof read? Charlie Bucket
  • Score: 13

9:16pm Sun 15 Jun 14

forest hump says...

mickey01 wrote:
what idiots would have candles near curtains especially when not on holders they get on my wick
What idiots would have candles. Period!
[quote][p][bold]mickey01[/bold] wrote: what idiots would have candles near curtains especially when not on holders they get on my wick[/p][/quote]What idiots would have candles. Period! forest hump
  • Score: -2

9:26pm Sun 15 Jun 14

loosehead says...

Well I can only say MORONS do they deserve a place to live or maybe a tent?
Well I can only say MORONS do they deserve a place to live or maybe a tent? loosehead
  • Score: 1

9:30pm Sun 15 Jun 14

Solent Soul says...

Well I thought fire's were on the decline according to government stats, that's the reason for stripping the fire service back to a point that it is barely able to operate safely?
Well I thought fire's were on the decline according to government stats, that's the reason for stripping the fire service back to a point that it is barely able to operate safely? Solent Soul
  • Score: -2

10:49pm Sun 15 Jun 14

100%HANTSBOY says...

The last paragraph? Is that aimed at candles or the occupier?
The last paragraph? Is that aimed at candles or the occupier? 100%HANTSBOY
  • Score: 0

11:34pm Sun 15 Jun 14

Zexagon says...

100%HANTSBOY wrote:
The last paragraph? Is that aimed at candles or the occupier?
Made me chuckle
[quote][p][bold]100%HANTSBOY[/bold] wrote: The last paragraph? Is that aimed at candles or the occupier?[/p][/quote]Made me chuckle Zexagon
  • Score: 0

1:07am Mon 16 Jun 14

huckit P says...

Solent Soul wrote:
Well I thought fire's were on the decline according to government stats, that's the reason for stripping the fire service back to a point that it is barely able to operate safely?
And of course you have facts to back up your statements. "Barely able to operate safely" is quite a strong statement. But of course you must know something about the subject to state that. Could it be the equipment? With the plethora of appliances showing recent registrations it can't be that. Could it be manpower? More personnel on stations than 10-15 years ago, and more full time stations instead of day-manned. Could it be training? Better equipped training facilities at Eastleigh than 10-15 years ago. Hmm. Could it be that they should stay awake for all of their time on duty? And actually work for the full period of their shifts? I hope that happens. But not if the FBU get their way!
The modern fire service is now better equipped and better trained than it ever has been. It even has time and money to fund diversity and equality departments and their legions of "experts" and also has the time, spare manpower and money to assist with overseas emergencies.
[quote][p][bold]Solent Soul[/bold] wrote: Well I thought fire's were on the decline according to government stats, that's the reason for stripping the fire service back to a point that it is barely able to operate safely?[/p][/quote]And of course you have facts to back up your statements. "Barely able to operate safely" is quite a strong statement. But of course you must know something about the subject to state that. Could it be the equipment? With the plethora of appliances showing recent registrations it can't be that. Could it be manpower? More personnel on stations than 10-15 years ago, and more full time stations instead of day-manned. Could it be training? Better equipped training facilities at Eastleigh than 10-15 years ago. Hmm. Could it be that they should stay awake for all of their time on duty? And actually work for the full period of their shifts? I hope that happens. But not if the FBU get their way! The modern fire service is now better equipped and better trained than it ever has been. It even has time and money to fund diversity and equality departments and their legions of "experts" and also has the time, spare manpower and money to assist with overseas emergencies. huckit P
  • Score: 1

5:52am Mon 16 Jun 14

loosehead says...

Solent Soul wrote:
Well I thought fire's were on the decline according to government stats, that's the reason for stripping the fire service back to a point that it is barely able to operate safely?
how can you even consider talking about manpower levels? this was a moronic act which caused this fire it had nothing what so ever to do with the manning of the fire brigade.
[quote][p][bold]Solent Soul[/bold] wrote: Well I thought fire's were on the decline according to government stats, that's the reason for stripping the fire service back to a point that it is barely able to operate safely?[/p][/quote]how can you even consider talking about manpower levels? this was a moronic act which caused this fire it had nothing what so ever to do with the manning of the fire brigade. loosehead
  • Score: 2

8:20am Mon 16 Jun 14

working man says...

huckit P wrote:
Solent Soul wrote:
Well I thought fire's were on the decline according to government stats, that's the reason for stripping the fire service back to a point that it is barely able to operate safely?
And of course you have facts to back up your statements. "Barely able to operate safely" is quite a strong statement. But of course you must know something about the subject to state that. Could it be the equipment? With the plethora of appliances showing recent registrations it can't be that. Could it be manpower? More personnel on stations than 10-15 years ago, and more full time stations instead of day-manned. Could it be training? Better equipped training facilities at Eastleigh than 10-15 years ago. Hmm. Could it be that they should stay awake for all of their time on duty? And actually work for the full period of their shifts? I hope that happens. But not if the FBU get their way!
The modern fire service is now better equipped and better trained than it ever has been. It even has time and money to fund diversity and equality departments and their legions of "experts" and also has the time, spare manpower and money to assist with overseas emergencies.
Did you try to get in the fire service and they turned you down and now you hate them. Only and idiot would moan and gripe about a service who is there to help.
[quote][p][bold]huckit P[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Solent Soul[/bold] wrote: Well I thought fire's were on the decline according to government stats, that's the reason for stripping the fire service back to a point that it is barely able to operate safely?[/p][/quote]And of course you have facts to back up your statements. "Barely able to operate safely" is quite a strong statement. But of course you must know something about the subject to state that. Could it be the equipment? With the plethora of appliances showing recent registrations it can't be that. Could it be manpower? More personnel on stations than 10-15 years ago, and more full time stations instead of day-manned. Could it be training? Better equipped training facilities at Eastleigh than 10-15 years ago. Hmm. Could it be that they should stay awake for all of their time on duty? And actually work for the full period of their shifts? I hope that happens. But not if the FBU get their way! The modern fire service is now better equipped and better trained than it ever has been. It even has time and money to fund diversity and equality departments and their legions of "experts" and also has the time, spare manpower and money to assist with overseas emergencies.[/p][/quote]Did you try to get in the fire service and they turned you down and now you hate them. Only and idiot would moan and gripe about a service who is there to help. working man
  • Score: 1

8:35am Mon 16 Jun 14

Solent Soul says...

working man wrote:
huckit P wrote:
Solent Soul wrote:
Well I thought fire's were on the decline according to government stats, that's the reason for stripping the fire service back to a point that it is barely able to operate safely?
And of course you have facts to back up your statements. "Barely able to operate safely" is quite a strong statement. But of course you must know something about the subject to state that. Could it be the equipment? With the plethora of appliances showing recent registrations it can't be that. Could it be manpower? More personnel on stations than 10-15 years ago, and more full time stations instead of day-manned. Could it be training? Better equipped training facilities at Eastleigh than 10-15 years ago. Hmm. Could it be that they should stay awake for all of their time on duty? And actually work for the full period of their shifts? I hope that happens. But not if the FBU get their way!
The modern fire service is now better equipped and better trained than it ever has been. It even has time and money to fund diversity and equality departments and their legions of "experts" and also has the time, spare manpower and money to assist with overseas emergencies.
Did you try to get in the fire service and they turned you down and now you hate them. Only and idiot would moan and gripe about a service who is there to help.
Chuckle chuckle..
[quote][p][bold]working man[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]huckit P[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Solent Soul[/bold] wrote: Well I thought fire's were on the decline according to government stats, that's the reason for stripping the fire service back to a point that it is barely able to operate safely?[/p][/quote]And of course you have facts to back up your statements. "Barely able to operate safely" is quite a strong statement. But of course you must know something about the subject to state that. Could it be the equipment? With the plethora of appliances showing recent registrations it can't be that. Could it be manpower? More personnel on stations than 10-15 years ago, and more full time stations instead of day-manned. Could it be training? Better equipped training facilities at Eastleigh than 10-15 years ago. Hmm. Could it be that they should stay awake for all of their time on duty? And actually work for the full period of their shifts? I hope that happens. But not if the FBU get their way! The modern fire service is now better equipped and better trained than it ever has been. It even has time and money to fund diversity and equality departments and their legions of "experts" and also has the time, spare manpower and money to assist with overseas emergencies.[/p][/quote]Did you try to get in the fire service and they turned you down and now you hate them. Only and idiot would moan and gripe about a service who is there to help.[/p][/quote]Chuckle chuckle.. Solent Soul
  • Score: 0

8:54am Mon 16 Jun 14

Solent Soul says...

loosehead wrote:
Solent Soul wrote:
Well I thought fire's were on the decline according to government stats, that's the reason for stripping the fire service back to a point that it is barely able to operate safely?
how can you even consider talking about manpower levels? this was a moronic act which caused this fire it had nothing what so ever to do with the manning of the fire brigade.
A report about an incident of this nature is always a good time to highlight that there are still fire's & we still need a fire service to deal with them, although looking at some of the contributers to the posts, they would rather strip it back to nothing (don't expect a reduction in ur council tax bill for the emergency services though which is more likely to be increasing in the future). If we are worrying about the countries funding holes then the corporate tax avoiders & benefits cheats are where you should be aiming you're financial concerns..
[quote][p][bold]loosehead[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Solent Soul[/bold] wrote: Well I thought fire's were on the decline according to government stats, that's the reason for stripping the fire service back to a point that it is barely able to operate safely?[/p][/quote]how can you even consider talking about manpower levels? this was a moronic act which caused this fire it had nothing what so ever to do with the manning of the fire brigade.[/p][/quote]A report about an incident of this nature is always a good time to highlight that there are still fire's & we still need a fire service to deal with them, although looking at some of the contributers to the posts, they would rather strip it back to nothing (don't expect a reduction in ur council tax bill for the emergency services though which is more likely to be increasing in the future). If we are worrying about the countries funding holes then the corporate tax avoiders & benefits cheats are where you should be aiming you're financial concerns.. Solent Soul
  • Score: -1

10:24am Mon 16 Jun 14

Dai Rear says...

Solent Soul wrote:
Well I thought fire's were on the decline according to government stats, that's the reason for stripping the fire service back to a point that it is barely able to operate safely?
As long as there's public housing there'll be fires. What belongs to everyone is no one's concern.
[quote][p][bold]Solent Soul[/bold] wrote: Well I thought fire's were on the decline according to government stats, that's the reason for stripping the fire service back to a point that it is barely able to operate safely?[/p][/quote]As long as there's public housing there'll be fires. What belongs to everyone is no one's concern. Dai Rear
  • Score: 0

11:37am Mon 16 Jun 14

sophisticated says...

mickey01 wrote:
what idiots would have candles near curtains especially when not on holders they get on my wick
People who live in canberra towers
[quote][p][bold]mickey01[/bold] wrote: what idiots would have candles near curtains especially when not on holders they get on my wick[/p][/quote]People who live in canberra towers sophisticated
  • Score: 0

12:11pm Mon 16 Jun 14

Charlie Bucket says...

Solent Soul wrote:
Well I thought fire's were on the decline according to government stats, that's the reason for stripping the fire service back to a point that it is barely able to operate safely?
What's your point? You realise that "on the decline" doesn't mean "have stopped" right?
[quote][p][bold]Solent Soul[/bold] wrote: Well I thought fire's were on the decline according to government stats, that's the reason for stripping the fire service back to a point that it is barely able to operate safely?[/p][/quote]What's your point? You realise that "on the decline" doesn't mean "have stopped" right? Charlie Bucket
  • Score: 0

12:11pm Mon 16 Jun 14

Charlie Bucket says...

Solent Soul wrote:
Well I thought fire's were on the decline according to government stats, that's the reason for stripping the fire service back to a point that it is barely able to operate safely?
What's your point? You realise that "on the decline" doesn't mean "have stopped" right?
[quote][p][bold]Solent Soul[/bold] wrote: Well I thought fire's were on the decline according to government stats, that's the reason for stripping the fire service back to a point that it is barely able to operate safely?[/p][/quote]What's your point? You realise that "on the decline" doesn't mean "have stopped" right? Charlie Bucket
  • Score: 1

12:12pm Mon 16 Jun 14

Charlie Bucket says...

Dai Rear wrote:
Solent Soul wrote:
Well I thought fire's were on the decline according to government stats, that's the reason for stripping the fire service back to a point that it is barely able to operate safely?
As long as there's public housing there'll be fires. What belongs to everyone is no one's concern.
Ah yes, fire: didn't exist before social housing.
[quote][p][bold]Dai Rear[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Solent Soul[/bold] wrote: Well I thought fire's were on the decline according to government stats, that's the reason for stripping the fire service back to a point that it is barely able to operate safely?[/p][/quote]As long as there's public housing there'll be fires. What belongs to everyone is no one's concern.[/p][/quote]Ah yes, fire: didn't exist before social housing. Charlie Bucket
  • Score: 1

12:21pm Mon 16 Jun 14

Dai Rear says...

I haven't the foggiest idea what "social housing" means, but statistically fire is much more common in public housing. My inference is as set out. You may know another explanation or have another theory?
I haven't the foggiest idea what "social housing" means, but statistically fire is much more common in public housing. My inference is as set out. You may know another explanation or have another theory? Dai Rear
  • Score: 0

1:36pm Mon 16 Jun 14

Charlie Bucket says...

Dai Rear wrote:
I haven't the foggiest idea what "social housing" means, but statistically fire is much more common in public housing. My inference is as set out. You may know another explanation or have another theory?
Social housing is what you call "public" housing for some strange reason. Maybe you once heard the phrase "public house" and got all confused.
[quote][p][bold]Dai Rear[/bold] wrote: I haven't the foggiest idea what "social housing" means, but statistically fire is much more common in public housing. My inference is as set out. You may know another explanation or have another theory?[/p][/quote]Social housing is what you call "public" housing for some strange reason. Maybe you once heard the phrase "public house" and got all confused. Charlie Bucket
  • Score: 0

2:01pm Mon 16 Jun 14

Dai Rear says...

Charlie Bucket wrote:
Dai Rear wrote:
I haven't the foggiest idea what "social housing" means, but statistically fire is much more common in public housing. My inference is as set out. You may know another explanation or have another theory?
Social housing is what you call "public" housing for some strange reason. Maybe you once heard the phrase "public house" and got all confused.
I call it public housing because it belongs to the public, which is my point, that something that belongs to all belongs to no one in particular and is therefore taken for granted/ neglected. You presumably live in a house you own and cherish and wouldn't go lighting candles around the flammable bits in it.

"Social Housing" as a phrase can only exist if there is an "un-social" or "anti-social" housing. There isn't , so it's simply superfluous verbiage, just as is "affordable" when there is an open and fully functioning market in houses.
[quote][p][bold]Charlie Bucket[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Dai Rear[/bold] wrote: I haven't the foggiest idea what "social housing" means, but statistically fire is much more common in public housing. My inference is as set out. You may know another explanation or have another theory?[/p][/quote]Social housing is what you call "public" housing for some strange reason. Maybe you once heard the phrase "public house" and got all confused.[/p][/quote]I call it public housing because it belongs to the public, which is my point, that something that belongs to all belongs to no one in particular and is therefore taken for granted/ neglected. You presumably live in a house you own and cherish and wouldn't go lighting candles around the flammable bits in it. "Social Housing" as a phrase can only exist if there is an "un-social" or "anti-social" housing. There isn't , so it's simply superfluous verbiage, just as is "affordable" when there is an open and fully functioning market in houses. Dai Rear
  • Score: 0

4:06pm Mon 16 Jun 14

loosehead says...

Shirley Towers firemen lost there life's down to cretins who wanted to move who were council.
Canberra Towers a candle under curtains.a candle lit with a cat running around? is this a council tenant?
Several other "flay" fires in housing association buildings why?
Is it that private flat owners have to much to lose if proven it was an act of arson?
Fire Brigades are well manned & have the top machinery so it's not down to the fire brigade some people act like total morons no matter if they own or rtent it.
Shirley Towers firemen lost there life's down to cretins who wanted to move who were council. Canberra Towers a candle under curtains.a candle lit with a cat running around? is this a council tenant? Several other "flay" fires in housing association buildings why? Is it that private flat owners have to much to lose if proven it was an act of arson? Fire Brigades are well manned & have the top machinery so it's not down to the fire brigade some people act like total morons no matter if they own or rtent it. loosehead
  • Score: 0

4:45pm Mon 16 Jun 14

Dai Rear says...

"some people act like total morons no matter if they own or rtent it.
"I've been on the planet a few decades but have yet to meet a home owner who behaves like a "total moron" You've been very unlucky in your acquaintances Lose Head.
"some people act like total morons no matter if they own or rtent it. "I've been on the planet a few decades but have yet to meet a home owner who behaves like a "total moron" You've been very unlucky in your acquaintances Lose Head. Dai Rear
  • Score: 1

9:39pm Mon 16 Jun 14

loosehead says...

Dai Rear wrote:
"some people act like total morons no matter if they own or rtent it.
"I've been on the planet a few decades but have yet to meet a home owner who behaves like a "total moron" You've been very unlucky in your acquaintances Lose Head.
Actually DAI I was trying to avoid the attacks if I'd just said council tenants.
I don't know of any private owner that sets light to curtains to get a move as in the fire in Shirley Towers but I've known of heavy smokers,both legal & illegal fag's/joints falling asleep with it lit & some one having to quickly putting it out.
Are pets allowed in Tower blocks?
[quote][p][bold]Dai Rear[/bold] wrote: "some people act like total morons no matter if they own or rtent it. "I've been on the planet a few decades but have yet to meet a home owner who behaves like a "total moron" You've been very unlucky in your acquaintances Lose Head.[/p][/quote]Actually DAI I was trying to avoid the attacks if I'd just said council tenants. I don't know of any private owner that sets light to curtains to get a move as in the fire in Shirley Towers but I've known of heavy smokers,both legal & illegal fag's/joints falling asleep with it lit & some one having to quickly putting it out. Are pets allowed in Tower blocks? loosehead
  • Score: 0

8:50pm Tue 17 Jun 14

tinkerbellbabes says...

Use to live in harve tower and glad I'm. Out of that area now living in housing accosiotion but never tried setting my flat alight. I had cats and lit candles but there's a thing called careful with candles I made sure my candles were safe and my cats were soundo b4 hand also I never let them.burning for long.
Use to live in harve tower and glad I'm. Out of that area now living in housing accosiotion but never tried setting my flat alight. I had cats and lit candles but there's a thing called careful with candles I made sure my candles were safe and my cats were soundo b4 hand also I never let them.burning for long. tinkerbellbabes
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree