Hampshire hospitals criticised over patient safety

The Royal Hampshire County Hospital in Winchester was one of the hospitals criticised

The Royal Hampshire County Hospital in Winchester was one of the hospitals criticised

First published in News
Last updated
Daily Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Senior Reporter

HAMPSHIRE hospitals are among those graded as poorly performing nationally in aspects of patient safety, according to newly compiled data.

Lack of staff, care of the elderly and mentally ill teenagers are among the concerns that rank hospitals in Southampton and Winchester as poor in key areas.

The NHS "patient safety indicators" published on the NHS Choices website uses a colour-coded system. Green is for good, blue for average and red for poor. This allows patients to compare their hospitals with others in England.

Two hospitals scored red because they did not meet Care Quality Commission (CQC) standards. This followed recent inspections.

The latest CQC published report criticises the Royal Hampshire County Hospital in Winchester for not meeting the needs of dementia patients. It found the accident and emergency ward was not doing enough to spot dementia patients and so keep them safe.

The report adds: “Patients’ assessment records on wards that we looked at had not always been fully completed.”

Tests to see if patients were in pain were “not consistently used”, meaning some might not be receiving proper pain relief.

One dementia patient’s records indicated he had not had enough to drink and when the inspectors asked about eating they were told he had no breakfast.

Staff said he refused meals and needed to see a dietician about nutrition, although that had not happened.

The report said: “This put the patient at risk of not having adequate support to meet their nutritional needs.”

The lack of staff trained in dementia care was also indentified as a problem.

CQC inspectors were also concerned about the 10-bed Kingfisher Ward for young people at the Priory Hospital in Marchwood, near Southampton.

Daily Echo: The Priory in Marchwood

The Priory Hospital at Marchwood.

This is a private hospital which takes NHS referrals for general psychiatric conditions.

During their inspection they spoke to a mentally-ill 14-year-old found to have signed a consent form for their treatment while under age.

It was also found no competency test had been carried out before the teenager signed.

The inspection also examined care notes. In one case involving a suicidal young person, they found notes did not indicate what assessments had been carried out or whether national guidelines were followed.

A care plan for that same teenager did not state how they would receive nursing help for self-harming.

The report said: “It was clear there were gaps in understanding what nursing interventions could or should be.”

Universities Hospital Southampton (UHS), the trust which runs Southampton General, the Princess Anne and the Royal South Hampshire Hospital, was given a red rating for its patient safety alert.

This was because of a delay returning assessment to NHS England to show how it was minimising any delays of medicines or treatment for patients being treated in their own home by the hospital trust.

Gail Byrne, director of quality at UHS, said: “Following this patient safety alert, which was issued to all NHS trusts in April, we have carefully and rigorously assessed all patients who receive healthcare services at home to ensure they are receiving the right medication at the right time.

“This process has taken longer than anticipated due to the large numbers of patients we treat via homecare, but it will be completed by the end of this week – at which point we will be fully compliant with all NHS England’s patient safety alerts.”

However, this aside, the trust compared favourable in other areas of patient safety.

A spokesman for the Priory Hospital said: “This inspection took place more than six months ago in November, 2013.

“The issues raised, which related to two specific areas, have been addressed and a few months ago, the hospital requested for the CQC to come back and re-inspect the hospital in order to satisfy themselves that all the necessary actions have been taken.”

A statement from Hampshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust said: “The CQC identified two areas of minor concern which the Foundation Trust has been working to improve.

“These include ensuring adequate staffing levels and better recording of specialist assessments.”

Comments (11)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:17am Sun 29 Jun 14

southy says...

Please dig deeper Echo, quick to run down the NHS but not talling people its the Private sector with in the NHS that are running things that is causing the problems and will not take responsibility for there actions but all ways will blame the NHS
Please dig deeper Echo, quick to run down the NHS but not talling people its the Private sector with in the NHS that are running things that is causing the problems and will not take responsibility for there actions but all ways will blame the NHS southy
  • Score: -2

3:18pm Sun 29 Jun 14

Shoong says...

southy wrote:
Please dig deeper Echo, quick to run down the NHS but not talling people its the Private sector with in the NHS that are running things that is causing the problems and will not take responsibility for there actions but all ways will blame the NHS
You seem to know what's really going on.

Pray tell?

Let's have another honest, well researched, non-biased assessment from yourself then, the chances of the DE 'digging deeper' are about the same as that.

Your only concern for the NHS is to use it as a political football.
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Please dig deeper Echo, quick to run down the NHS but not talling people its the Private sector with in the NHS that are running things that is causing the problems and will not take responsibility for there actions but all ways will blame the NHS[/p][/quote]You seem to know what's really going on. Pray tell? Let's have another honest, well researched, non-biased assessment from yourself then, the chances of the DE 'digging deeper' are about the same as that. Your only concern for the NHS is to use it as a political football. Shoong
  • Score: -1

3:27pm Sun 29 Jun 14

southy says...

Shoong wrote:
southy wrote:
Please dig deeper Echo, quick to run down the NHS but not talling people its the Private sector with in the NHS that are running things that is causing the problems and will not take responsibility for there actions but all ways will blame the NHS
You seem to know what's really going on.

Pray tell?

Let's have another honest, well researched, non-biased assessment from yourself then, the chances of the DE 'digging deeper' are about the same as that.

Your only concern for the NHS is to use it as a political football.
Wrong yet agian Shoong its people like your self who likes living in a dystopian society and treat things as a joke.
[quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Please dig deeper Echo, quick to run down the NHS but not talling people its the Private sector with in the NHS that are running things that is causing the problems and will not take responsibility for there actions but all ways will blame the NHS[/p][/quote]You seem to know what's really going on. Pray tell? Let's have another honest, well researched, non-biased assessment from yourself then, the chances of the DE 'digging deeper' are about the same as that. Your only concern for the NHS is to use it as a political football.[/p][/quote]Wrong yet agian Shoong its people like your self who likes living in a dystopian society and treat things as a joke. southy
  • Score: -4

3:33pm Sun 29 Jun 14

southy says...

There use to be a saying with in the NHS Hospitals
"A bed pan drop on the ward could be heard all the way to the Home office"
It means if some thing was wrong at the bottom who was ever in charge of the Home office at the time took resposibility, Now days that is not the case where the NHS as been broken up into so many bits all beening run by the Private sector none will take responsiblity for there action or with the bit that they control, they pass the buck on and it ends up in the NHS lap even low they are not the cause of the problem.
There use to be a saying with in the NHS Hospitals "A bed pan drop on the ward could be heard all the way to the Home office" It means if some thing was wrong at the bottom who was ever in charge of the Home office at the time took resposibility, Now days that is not the case where the NHS as been broken up into so many bits all beening run by the Private sector none will take responsiblity for there action or with the bit that they control, they pass the buck on and it ends up in the NHS lap even low they are not the cause of the problem. southy
  • Score: -2

3:37pm Sun 29 Jun 14

Shoong says...

southy wrote:
Shoong wrote:
southy wrote:
Please dig deeper Echo, quick to run down the NHS but not talling people its the Private sector with in the NHS that are running things that is causing the problems and will not take responsibility for there actions but all ways will blame the NHS
You seem to know what's really going on.

Pray tell?

Let's have another honest, well researched, non-biased assessment from yourself then, the chances of the DE 'digging deeper' are about the same as that.

Your only concern for the NHS is to use it as a political football.
Wrong yet agian Shoong its people like your self who likes living in a dystopian society and treat things as a joke.
That's your new buzz word isn't - 'dystopian'. Swallow a dictionary lately did we?

Dystopian is a community or society that is in some important way undesirable or frightening.

I choose not to be frightened. As with all those on the extremes of the so called political spectrum, frightened people suit your needs, they are more easily coerced to your extreme views, and you can't even do that!
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Please dig deeper Echo, quick to run down the NHS but not talling people its the Private sector with in the NHS that are running things that is causing the problems and will not take responsibility for there actions but all ways will blame the NHS[/p][/quote]You seem to know what's really going on. Pray tell? Let's have another honest, well researched, non-biased assessment from yourself then, the chances of the DE 'digging deeper' are about the same as that. Your only concern for the NHS is to use it as a political football.[/p][/quote]Wrong yet agian Shoong its people like your self who likes living in a dystopian society and treat things as a joke.[/p][/quote]That's your new buzz word isn't - 'dystopian'. Swallow a dictionary lately did we? Dystopian is a community or society that is in some important way undesirable or frightening. I choose not to be frightened. As with all those on the extremes of the so called political spectrum, frightened people suit your needs, they are more easily coerced to your extreme views, and you can't even do that! Shoong
  • Score: 1

3:43pm Sun 29 Jun 14

southy says...

Shoong wrote:
southy wrote:
Shoong wrote:
southy wrote:
Please dig deeper Echo, quick to run down the NHS but not talling people its the Private sector with in the NHS that are running things that is causing the problems and will not take responsibility for there actions but all ways will blame the NHS
You seem to know what's really going on.

Pray tell?

Let's have another honest, well researched, non-biased assessment from yourself then, the chances of the DE 'digging deeper' are about the same as that.

Your only concern for the NHS is to use it as a political football.
Wrong yet agian Shoong its people like your self who likes living in a dystopian society and treat things as a joke.
That's your new buzz word isn't - 'dystopian'. Swallow a dictionary lately did we?

Dystopian is a community or society that is in some important way undesirable or frightening.

I choose not to be frightened. As with all those on the extremes of the so called political spectrum, frightened people suit your needs, they are more easily coerced to your extreme views, and you can't even do that!
It is also means destroyer of a Society creating an unblance an unequal where a few take major gains, Look up the full meaning and not a small part that suits your needs.
[quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Please dig deeper Echo, quick to run down the NHS but not talling people its the Private sector with in the NHS that are running things that is causing the problems and will not take responsibility for there actions but all ways will blame the NHS[/p][/quote]You seem to know what's really going on. Pray tell? Let's have another honest, well researched, non-biased assessment from yourself then, the chances of the DE 'digging deeper' are about the same as that. Your only concern for the NHS is to use it as a political football.[/p][/quote]Wrong yet agian Shoong its people like your self who likes living in a dystopian society and treat things as a joke.[/p][/quote]That's your new buzz word isn't - 'dystopian'. Swallow a dictionary lately did we? Dystopian is a community or society that is in some important way undesirable or frightening. I choose not to be frightened. As with all those on the extremes of the so called political spectrum, frightened people suit your needs, they are more easily coerced to your extreme views, and you can't even do that![/p][/quote]It is also means destroyer of a Society creating an unblance an unequal where a few take major gains, Look up the full meaning and not a small part that suits your needs. southy
  • Score: -3

4:08pm Sun 29 Jun 14

Shoong says...

southy wrote:
Shoong wrote:
southy wrote:
Shoong wrote:
southy wrote:
Please dig deeper Echo, quick to run down the NHS but not talling people its the Private sector with in the NHS that are running things that is causing the problems and will not take responsibility for there actions but all ways will blame the NHS
You seem to know what's really going on.

Pray tell?

Let's have another honest, well researched, non-biased assessment from yourself then, the chances of the DE 'digging deeper' are about the same as that.

Your only concern for the NHS is to use it as a political football.
Wrong yet agian Shoong its people like your self who likes living in a dystopian society and treat things as a joke.
That's your new buzz word isn't - 'dystopian'. Swallow a dictionary lately did we?

Dystopian is a community or society that is in some important way undesirable or frightening.

I choose not to be frightened. As with all those on the extremes of the so called political spectrum, frightened people suit your needs, they are more easily coerced to your extreme views, and you can't even do that!
It is also means destroyer of a Society creating an unblance an unequal where a few take major gains, Look up the full meaning and not a small part that suits your needs.
That's all you do all day - except now you don't even have a party.

Good luck.
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Please dig deeper Echo, quick to run down the NHS but not talling people its the Private sector with in the NHS that are running things that is causing the problems and will not take responsibility for there actions but all ways will blame the NHS[/p][/quote]You seem to know what's really going on. Pray tell? Let's have another honest, well researched, non-biased assessment from yourself then, the chances of the DE 'digging deeper' are about the same as that. Your only concern for the NHS is to use it as a political football.[/p][/quote]Wrong yet agian Shoong its people like your self who likes living in a dystopian society and treat things as a joke.[/p][/quote]That's your new buzz word isn't - 'dystopian'. Swallow a dictionary lately did we? Dystopian is a community or society that is in some important way undesirable or frightening. I choose not to be frightened. As with all those on the extremes of the so called political spectrum, frightened people suit your needs, they are more easily coerced to your extreme views, and you can't even do that![/p][/quote]It is also means destroyer of a Society creating an unblance an unequal where a few take major gains, Look up the full meaning and not a small part that suits your needs.[/p][/quote]That's all you do all day - except now you don't even have a party. Good luck. Shoong
  • Score: 1

4:17pm Sun 29 Jun 14

southy says...

Shoong wrote:
southy wrote:
Shoong wrote:
southy wrote:
Shoong wrote:
southy wrote:
Please dig deeper Echo, quick to run down the NHS but not talling people its the Private sector with in the NHS that are running things that is causing the problems and will not take responsibility for there actions but all ways will blame the NHS
You seem to know what's really going on.

Pray tell?

Let's have another honest, well researched, non-biased assessment from yourself then, the chances of the DE 'digging deeper' are about the same as that.

Your only concern for the NHS is to use it as a political football.
Wrong yet agian Shoong its people like your self who likes living in a dystopian society and treat things as a joke.
That's your new buzz word isn't - 'dystopian'. Swallow a dictionary lately did we?

Dystopian is a community or society that is in some important way undesirable or frightening.

I choose not to be frightened. As with all those on the extremes of the so called political spectrum, frightened people suit your needs, they are more easily coerced to your extreme views, and you can't even do that!
It is also means destroyer of a Society creating an unblance an unequal where a few take major gains, Look up the full meaning and not a small part that suits your needs.
That's all you do all day - except now you don't even have a party.

Good luck.
For got this part it can be a tyranny, I don't have a party (as in political i take it) wrong again
[quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Please dig deeper Echo, quick to run down the NHS but not talling people its the Private sector with in the NHS that are running things that is causing the problems and will not take responsibility for there actions but all ways will blame the NHS[/p][/quote]You seem to know what's really going on. Pray tell? Let's have another honest, well researched, non-biased assessment from yourself then, the chances of the DE 'digging deeper' are about the same as that. Your only concern for the NHS is to use it as a political football.[/p][/quote]Wrong yet agian Shoong its people like your self who likes living in a dystopian society and treat things as a joke.[/p][/quote]That's your new buzz word isn't - 'dystopian'. Swallow a dictionary lately did we? Dystopian is a community or society that is in some important way undesirable or frightening. I choose not to be frightened. As with all those on the extremes of the so called political spectrum, frightened people suit your needs, they are more easily coerced to your extreme views, and you can't even do that![/p][/quote]It is also means destroyer of a Society creating an unblance an unequal where a few take major gains, Look up the full meaning and not a small part that suits your needs.[/p][/quote]That's all you do all day - except now you don't even have a party. Good luck.[/p][/quote]For got this part it can be a tyranny, I don't have a party (as in political i take it) wrong again southy
  • Score: -1

6:20pm Sun 29 Jun 14

mollie says...

Instead of all bleating about our NHS ( and yes there is a lot wrong with it) How about some of the more positive views ! Take a look around the world and find a better system than we have if you can afford it! we must remember our medical teams are people not machines that can be switched on as and when we need them. I agree there is a lot of waste in the NHS and feel very strongly that this needs to be looked at, also there are still too many chiefs and not enough Indians! that really has to change and i believe it should start with our A and E admissions ,Take any Saturday night on a regular basis People are suffering needlessly because staff are trying to deal with someone who has been brought in from a street brawl having gone out with the sole intention of getting 'bladdered' being the worse for wear through drink he /she is picked up by police and taken to hospital as they do not know if the person might have other illnesses. where it is proved it only drink then I think that person should be charged for hospital time ! It just might make them think twice next time ? we have to start somewhere and i feel this might be a good place to start.
Instead of all bleating about our NHS ( and yes there is a lot wrong with it) How about some of the more positive views ! Take a look around the world and find a better system than we have if you can afford it! we must remember our medical teams are people not machines that can be switched on as and when we need them. I agree there is a lot of waste in the NHS and feel very strongly that this needs to be looked at, also there are still too many chiefs and not enough Indians! that really has to change and i believe it should start with our A and E admissions ,Take any Saturday night on a regular basis People are suffering needlessly because staff are trying to deal with someone who has been brought in from a street brawl having gone out with the sole intention of getting 'bladdered' being the worse for wear through drink he /she is picked up by police and taken to hospital as they do not know if the person might have other illnesses. where it is proved it only drink then I think that person should be charged for hospital time ! It just might make them think twice next time ? we have to start somewhere and i feel this might be a good place to start. mollie
  • Score: 2

12:50pm Mon 30 Jun 14

southy says...

We see the Torys attack the NHS in the early 70's by putting charge on medication perscritions, then in the 80's we see the Torys (Thatcher) attack the NHS again by handing over NHS dental care to the private sector, next Tory PM (Major) also attack the NHS by handing other small parts overs to private care, then if that was not enough because Labour kick out all the Left wingers in the party so making it a right wing party we see Labour all so attack the NHS by handing over things like Mental care to the private sector, and now we have this Tory government carry on with the attack of the NHS.
They want the NHS gone they want us all to have private health care and the only people who will gain from this will be the proffiteers, This is not about health care and what is best for the majority its all about money and the few that will benefit from it.
We see the Torys attack the NHS in the early 70's by putting charge on medication perscritions, then in the 80's we see the Torys (Thatcher) attack the NHS again by handing over NHS dental care to the private sector, next Tory PM (Major) also attack the NHS by handing other small parts overs to private care, then if that was not enough because Labour kick out all the Left wingers in the party so making it a right wing party we see Labour all so attack the NHS by handing over things like Mental care to the private sector, and now we have this Tory government carry on with the attack of the NHS. They want the NHS gone they want us all to have private health care and the only people who will gain from this will be the proffiteers, This is not about health care and what is best for the majority its all about money and the few that will benefit from it. southy
  • Score: 0

12:54pm Mon 30 Jun 14

southy says...

What will happen is this it will be the same as the USA, you need treatment and the first question your ask is how do you intend to pay, Cash/check, Insurence and if you don't have cash or insurence then you will be transfered to a poorman hospital where you are more likely your condition will worsen before you arrive at the poorman hospital
What will happen is this it will be the same as the USA, you need treatment and the first question your ask is how do you intend to pay, Cash/check, Insurence and if you don't have cash or insurence then you will be transfered to a poorman hospital where you are more likely your condition will worsen before you arrive at the poorman hospital southy
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree