STARS of Hampshire’s business world have been celebrated at an education awards ceremony for helping the county’s youngsters get on the career ladder.
Southampton’s Novotel was the venue for the 2014 Amazing People Awards for Excellence, which recognised those who have helped teenagers prepare for adult life and work through developing or taking part in innovative programmes.
Organised by the Solent Education Business Partnership (EBP), they also celebrated the achievements of young people as well as the achievements of some students who have overcome personal difficulties through their links with businesses during work experience.
EBP chief executive Angela Wright said: “We have been running the awards for the past five years because we need to recognise the fantastic work being done across the city.
“There are so many unsung heroes who have generously given their time when they might have a day job, making a real difference to people’s lives.
“It is also about making our own businesses invest in tomorrow’s workforce, making sure we have young people who do well and are able to progress their careers.”
- Amazing Young People involved in Enterprise sponsored by Eastleigh College: Pranjali Malhan – 13-year-old student at Crestwood College
- Amazing People involved in STEMIT sponsored by Itchen College: Caroline Tolchard – a Cantell School teacher
- Amazing People involved in promoting professional, technical, and craft occupations to learners sponsored by Airways Optical: Luke Murphy – from Dickinson LLP
- Amazing People and their Amazing Apprenticeships sponsored by Southampton City Council: Holly- Jane Boylan – Crest Nicholson Regeneration
- Amazing Young People overcoming personal barriers to learning, gaining new skills and qualifications sponsored by Cisco: Joe Pelling, Reece Hardiman, Kobe Richardson and Brandon Prince – all students at Lakeside School
- Amazing Adults overcoming personal barriers to learning, gaining new skills and qualification sponsored by Eastleigh Borough Council: Single mum Nicola Betts – assistant at Crescent Primary School
- Recognising an Amazing Employer sponsored by Solent EBP: James Lax – Willmott Dixon
- Amazing People in education who have worked with business to develop the curriculum and inspire learners sponsored by Crest Nicholson: Neil Brailsford and Team – Mercure Dolphin Hotel
- Amazing businesses providing learners with valuable work experience: Roast Out n Amazing People in Business who have developed a CSR / Community Investment Programme, sponsored by BDO: Amey
- Amazing People making the most of their work experience sponsored by Manpower: Leanne Baddams – 15- year-old student at Redbridge School
- Business Hall of Fame sponsored by Southampton Solent University: Clare Hargreaves, Reece Hibberd, and Michael Rossiter – British Gas Roger Emtage – a volunteer Debbie Van Coller – Southampton City Council Emma McQuiston – HMRC Katherine Greenham – Lovells David Pollard – FSB Clive Thomas – AB Ports
- Lifetime Achievement Award sponsored by BAE Systems: Jane Smith – head teacher at The Compass School