A MAJOR Southampton road was closed this morning following a multi-vehicle accident.
Five cars were reportedly involved in the collision that happened on Bassett Avenue at 8.45am today.
According to initial reports the driver of a car apparently lost control of the vehicle and collided with a car coming in the opposite direction.
All emergency services were called to the scene and the road was closed whilst paramedics treated a casualty.
- Southampton man fined for criminal damage
- PHOTOS: Travellers pitch up at Southampton park
- Thousands of pounds taken from cruise passengers in payment blunder
- Registered to vote? Just hours left until election deadline
- PHOTOS: Do you remember the day Princess Anne opened Oaklands Community School
- PHOTOS: Southampton celebrity cat found after kidnapping fears
- Much-loved celebrity cat is 'kidnapped'
- Car dealer accused of conning customers 'should not be blamed for business collapse'
One man, believed to be elderly, was taken to Southampton General Hospital.
The road remained closed whilst police investigated the scene and the wreckage was cleared.
The road was reopened by 10.45am.