A MAJOR Southampton road was closed this morning following a multi-vehicle accident.
Five cars were reportedly involved in the collision that happened on Bassett Avenue at 8.45am today.
According to initial reports the driver of a car apparently lost control of the vehicle and collided with a car coming in the opposite direction.
All emergency services were called to the scene and the road was closed whilst paramedics treated a casualty.
- Southampton couple win national lottery
- LEGAL HIGH ALERT: 11 needed emergency treatment in just two weeks
- Who are the eight men charged with serious drug offences after city raids?
- 'Complete hell': Victim of blow-up doll stalker tells of nightmare
- Robbers steal £14,000 from cash handler in Southampton
- PHOTOS: Eddie Izzard's EU roadshow comes to Southampton
- Appeal to fund cancer boy's Disney World dream
- Great great grandmother celebrates 100th birthday
One man, believed to be elderly, was taken to Southampton General Hospital.
The road remained closed whilst police investigated the scene and the wreckage was cleared.
The road was reopened by 10.45am.