A MAJOR Southampton road was closed this morning following a multi-vehicle accident.
Five cars were reportedly involved in the collision that happened on Bassett Avenue at 8.45am today.
According to initial reports the driver of a car apparently lost control of the vehicle and collided with a car coming in the opposite direction.
All emergency services were called to the scene and the road was closed whilst paramedics treated a casualty.
- Victory for campaign as Government set to ban legal highs
- Man jailed for making homemade bomb that was thrown at home of mum and two children
- Man found dead in Southampton named by police
- Driver threatened with bolt croppers by robber in Southampton
- UPDATED: Body found in search for Southampton man who abandoned car at coastal beauty spot
- Couple accused of £1m tax fraud at nursery
- 'Cool' Britannia to lead cruise industry into bright future
- COMMON PEOPLE: Organiser hints at return of festival after triumphant two day music extravaganza
One man, believed to be elderly, was taken to Southampton General Hospital.
The road remained closed whilst police investigated the scene and the wreckage was cleared.
The road was reopened by 10.45am.