A MAJOR Southampton road was closed this morning following a multi-vehicle accident.
Five cars were reportedly involved in the collision that happened on Bassett Avenue at 8.45am today.
According to initial reports the driver of a car apparently lost control of the vehicle and collided with a car coming in the opposite direction.
All emergency services were called to the scene and the road was closed whilst paramedics treated a casualty.
- 'It used to be quiet here but not anymore': Fed-up residents hit out after road used as lorry route
- Hospital named 'digital excellence centre' gets £10million
- UPDATE AND PHOTOS: Southampton road reopens after water main burst
- PHOTOS: 'We've just had enough' - demands for road safety measures after yet another lorry bridge crash chaos
- 'One of the saddest cases I have ever come across': Southampton man has pet dog put down on the day of death
- UPDATE: Man holding knife to his chest taken to hospital after 20-hour rooftop standoff
- VIDEO & PHOTOS: Barber turned boxer stuns love of his life with epic romantic gesture
- Four arrested in raid on Indian restaurant
One man, believed to be elderly, was taken to Southampton General Hospital.
The road remained closed whilst police investigated the scene and the wreckage was cleared.
The road was reopened by 10.45am.