A MAJOR Southampton road was closed this morning following a multi-vehicle accident.
Five cars were reportedly involved in the collision that happened on Bassett Avenue at 8.45am today.
According to initial reports the driver of a car apparently lost control of the vehicle and collided with a car coming in the opposite direction.
All emergency services were called to the scene and the road was closed whilst paramedics treated a casualty.
- Man sent obscene messages to girl and her mum
- LATEST: Man dies after air ambulance rushed to Riverside Park
- Railway station 'forgets' to change clocks to British Summer Time
- Union boss warns Chinese firm to 'make a killing off taxpayer' after Stagecoach lose South West Trains franchise
- Woman caught stealing children's toys - and is told to pay compensation from her benefits
- Teen pregnancy rates plummet in Southampton
- Work begins tonight: Redbridge and Millbrook flyovers to be shut for 'noisy' roadworks
- Ex-children's home boss accused of sex abuse 'a victim of false allegations'
One man, believed to be elderly, was taken to Southampton General Hospital.
The road remained closed whilst police investigated the scene and the wreckage was cleared.
The road was reopened by 10.45am.