A MAJOR Southampton road was closed this morning following a multi-vehicle accident.
Five cars were reportedly involved in the collision that happened on Bassett Avenue at 8.45am today.
According to initial reports the driver of a car apparently lost control of the vehicle and collided with a car coming in the opposite direction.
All emergency services were called to the scene and the road was closed whilst paramedics treated a casualty.
- Man 'on way to Southampton' admits killing 9-year-old girl
- Lorry stuck on Southampton bridge causing delays
- Fire at Southampton hotel
- WATCH: Hampshire winter sports ace performs amazing world first in Italy
- Bus services diverted after crash in Southampton
- Charity to put hearts into supporting Southampton half marathon runners
- PICTURES & VIDEO: Warm welcome for world's most advanced cruise ship in Southampton
- More than £16,000 spent on Ashya King search by Hampshire Police
One man, believed to be elderly, was taken to Southampton General Hospital.
The road remained closed whilst police investigated the scene and the wreckage was cleared.
The road was reopened by 10.45am.