A MAJOR Southampton road was closed this morning following a multi-vehicle accident.
Five cars were reportedly involved in the collision that happened on Bassett Avenue at 8.45am today.
According to initial reports the driver of a car apparently lost control of the vehicle and collided with a car coming in the opposite direction.
All emergency services were called to the scene and the road was closed whilst paramedics treated a casualty.
- Hospital regrets 'communication breakdown' with Ashya's parents
- Ashya's parents' detained for three days as hospital bosses face tough questions over search
- Could shipbuilding return to Southampton?
- Heritage walk around the Hamble valley
- Safety partnership meeting
- Southampton-bound ship is the future of cruising
- Jail for company director after worker is crushed to death by two-tonne sandbox
- Cycle hire scheme could be coming to Southampton
One man, believed to be elderly, was taken to Southampton General Hospital.
The road remained closed whilst police investigated the scene and the wreckage was cleared.
The road was reopened by 10.45am.