A MAJOR Southampton road was closed this morning following a multi-vehicle accident.
Five cars were reportedly involved in the collision that happened on Bassett Avenue at 8.45am today.
According to initial reports the driver of a car apparently lost control of the vehicle and collided with a car coming in the opposite direction.
All emergency services were called to the scene and the road was closed whilst paramedics treated a casualty.
- Woman conned £40,000 in benefits by pretending dead friend was still alive
- PHOTOS: Take That star visits Hampshire students
- PHOTOS: Saints fans among most romantic in the country.
- Motorway pile-up causes traffic delays
- World Sailing to leave Southampton base and move HQ to London
- Southampton University staff wear white in cancer fight
- Hampshire stars face off on TV show competition to become West End stars
- Eastleigh MP Mims Davies calls for Government intervention over Pambers Hill Farm development at Fair Oak
One man, believed to be elderly, was taken to Southampton General Hospital.
The road remained closed whilst police investigated the scene and the wreckage was cleared.
The road was reopened by 10.45am.