A MAJOR Southampton road was closed this morning following a multi-vehicle accident.
Five cars were reportedly involved in the collision that happened on Bassett Avenue at 8.45am today.
According to initial reports the driver of a car apparently lost control of the vehicle and collided with a car coming in the opposite direction.
All emergency services were called to the scene and the road was closed whilst paramedics treated a casualty.
- M27 CRASH: Witness appeal from police after fatal collision and fire
- Jailed: The serial sex offender who struck in Asda
- Snoop Dogg WILL be coming to Southampton
- Community back police after six arrests in mass drugs raids on Southampton homes
- Hampshire cities among 'most unaffordable' in the UK
- Hundreds helped out by Daily Echo Jobs Fair
- Southampton's unhealthiest street among worst in country
- M27 CRASH: Fatal crash and fire cause day of chaos in Hampshire
One man, believed to be elderly, was taken to Southampton General Hospital.
The road remained closed whilst police investigated the scene and the wreckage was cleared.
The road was reopened by 10.45am.