POLICE have arrested a second man in connection with a string of attacks on lone women in Hampshire.

A 17-year-old youth from Hilsea has been arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm with intent.

Magsitrates yesterday granted officers and extension to question a 30-year-old man being held.

It comes after police issued a safety warning to woman to remain vigilant, following three unprovoked assaults on over the past three weeks.

Advice is to continue with your daily lives and businesses as you would normally, however where possible take extra precautions and report any suspicious behaviour on 101.

Detectives have until 10.20pm tonight to continue questioning the man from Waterlooville on suspicion of grievous bodily harm with intent.

Increased police patrols are continuing to provide reassurance to the community.

The first assault took place at around 10.40pm on June 20, when a 20-year-old woman was walking along Southampton Road, opposite a block of flats on Ashurst Road, Portsmouth.

She was approached from behind and assaulted, receiving a chest injury, which was serious but not life-threatening.

In the second incident, a 45-year-old woman was approached by a man along the shoreline of Ports Creek in Hilsea (to the east of the footbridge which crosses from Peronne Road to the Highbury estate.

The man carried out an assault, resulting in the woman sustaining a stab wound to her chest. The man ran off towards Hilsea Lines.

Police were called to the third incident shortly after 1pm on Friday to a report of an assault by a man on a woman who was walking in an alleyway between Colwell Road and Northern Road in Cosham.

The woman was released from hospital on Friday and is at home with her family.

Witnesses to any of the assaults or anyone with information are asked to call the Hampshire Major Investigation Team (HMIT) at Fratton Police Station on 101, quoting Operation Bedham.

Information can be given anonymously by phoning the Crimestoppers charity on 0800 555 111