Raymond Bird is stepping down from running The Dorchester Arms days before a licence hearing

Raymond Bird is quitting as landlord of the controversial Dorchester Arms pub

Raymond Bird is quitting as landlord of the controversial Dorchester Arms pub

First published in News
Last updated
Daily Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Political reporter

THE landlord of a controversial Southampton pub which police are bidding to have shut down has revealed that he is quitting.

Raymond Bird has told the Daily Echo that this weekend will be his last at the popular Dorchester Arms and he is leaving – days before licensing chiefs were due to be asked to strip him of his licence.

It means that the pub will now be shut until a new manager can be found.

Daily Echo:

The Dorchester Arms

As exclusively revealed yesterday, police have compiled a damning dossier during the past 12 months listing a catalogue of incidents at the Onslow Road bar.

The report, which will go before city council licensing chiefs next Thursday, revealed how more than 20 people had been caught up in a brawl at the premises, which they say Mr Bird failed to stop.

Officers also said that Mr Bird had lied over claims that a member of his staff assaulted a customer, that residents living nearby had been forced to endure loud music, and that door staff were not properly licensed.

Today Mr Bird hit back at the accusations, despite initially saying that he wanted to make no comment.

While admitting that “mistakes” had been made, he claimed that he has not been supported by pub owner Enterprise Inns, that he has in fact “turned the pub around” since taking over, and that he had also been praised by police in relation to how he has run events at the pub.

Mr Bird has worked at the Dorchester Arms since 2012, and has managed it since last February.

Just four months later a bar brawl broke out which saw punches and kicks aimed, and pool cues and bar stools brandished. Four taxi drivers later admitted charges of affray.

Mr Bird, 32, said: “I wanted to leave before all this about the hearing.

“There have been some mistakes. It’s quite a challenging pub to take on, but there could have been more assistance from Enterprise Inns.

“I have gone above and beyond – I have sorted out SIA-trained door staff, but they haven’t helped me with things like getting plastic glasses to replaces glass ones, which was a condition added to the licence.”

He added: “We have put some fantastic events on over the last couple of years, which have passed off with no trouble, so we were doing something right.

“I’m quite proud because I think I’ve turned the pub around quite a lot, and I’ve given it my best shot.

“But unfortunately one massive incident on a Sunday night created a cauldron which has caused this outcome of the pub ceasing until a new person comes in.”

Licensing chiefs are being asked by police to revoke the pub’s licence, and they are also being urged to remove Mr Bird as landlord, in the interest of preventing crime and disorder, and public nuisance.

Comments (38)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:35am Thu 31 Jul 14

SNUGGLES 78 says...

dodgy beer too.
dodgy beer too. SNUGGLES 78
  • Score: 16

6:39am Thu 31 Jul 14

MisterGrimsdale says...

Is it Al Murray?
Is it Al Murray? MisterGrimsdale
  • Score: 10

7:34am Thu 31 Jul 14

mickey01 says...

jump before being pushed ""
jump before being pushed "" mickey01
  • Score: 6

8:16am Thu 31 Jul 14

Peoples Choice says...

I was mostly disturbed when going for a quiet drink one Saturday afternoon to be encountered with a 6' 7' transvestite with no shoes and a pink wig greeting me at the bar. But fair play to Ray, he showed no discrimination to the said man/woman which reflects the open mindidness and warm heart the guy has. Plus I think he fancied it!!!!
I was mostly disturbed when going for a quiet drink one Saturday afternoon to be encountered with a 6' 7' transvestite with no shoes and a pink wig greeting me at the bar. But fair play to Ray, he showed no discrimination to the said man/woman which reflects the open mindidness and warm heart the guy has. Plus I think he fancied it!!!! Peoples Choice
  • Score: 34

8:17am Thu 31 Jul 14

sarfhamton says...

Bring back DJ Hammy to the Dorchester! He used to diffuse fights with the use of free lollipops.
Bring back DJ Hammy to the Dorchester! He used to diffuse fights with the use of free lollipops. sarfhamton
  • Score: 38

8:19am Thu 31 Jul 14

Peoples Choice says...

A 20 man brawl which Mr Bird failed to stop

Ive seen 10 police officers in town fail to stop 2 men from brawling on numerous occasions, do they get stripped of their badges?
A 20 man brawl which Mr Bird failed to stop Ive seen 10 police officers in town fail to stop 2 men from brawling on numerous occasions, do they get stripped of their badges? Peoples Choice
  • Score: 81

8:40am Thu 31 Jul 14

Popcorn Sutton says...

Wasn't the last pub he had well dodgy as well and got shut down?
Wasn't the last pub he had well dodgy as well and got shut down? Popcorn Sutton
  • Score: 2

9:14am Thu 31 Jul 14

eurogordi says...

Once again the police are seeking an easy life. Why not close down every pub in the country that has occasional brawls ... I'm sure Tesco Express would be keen to take over the properties!
Once again the police are seeking an easy life. Why not close down every pub in the country that has occasional brawls ... I'm sure Tesco Express would be keen to take over the properties! eurogordi
  • Score: 23

9:37am Thu 31 Jul 14

durkiboy says...

Popcorn Sutton wrote:
Wasn't the last pub he had well dodgy as well and got shut down?
And what pub was that?
[quote][p][bold]Popcorn Sutton[/bold] wrote: Wasn't the last pub he had well dodgy as well and got shut down?[/p][/quote]And what pub was that? durkiboy
  • Score: 6

9:38am Thu 31 Jul 14

durkiboy says...

Popcorn Sutton wrote:
Wasn't the last pub he had well dodgy as well and got shut down?
And what pub was that?
[quote][p][bold]Popcorn Sutton[/bold] wrote: Wasn't the last pub he had well dodgy as well and got shut down?[/p][/quote]And what pub was that? durkiboy
  • Score: -8

12:06pm Thu 31 Jul 14

saintsfc1234 says...

durkiboy wrote:
Popcorn Sutton wrote:
Wasn't the last pub he had well dodgy as well and got shut down?
And what pub was that?
The Castle in Midanbury and yes it has closed down
[quote][p][bold]durkiboy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Popcorn Sutton[/bold] wrote: Wasn't the last pub he had well dodgy as well and got shut down?[/p][/quote]And what pub was that?[/p][/quote]The Castle in Midanbury and yes it has closed down saintsfc1234
  • Score: 4

12:32pm Thu 31 Jul 14

SNUGGLES 78 says...

saintsfc1234 wrote:
durkiboy wrote:
Popcorn Sutton wrote:
Wasn't the last pub he had well dodgy as well and got shut down?
And what pub was that?
The Castle in Midanbury and yes it has closed down
enough proof to put him out of the game for good ,no coincidence .
[quote][p][bold]saintsfc1234[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]durkiboy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Popcorn Sutton[/bold] wrote: Wasn't the last pub he had well dodgy as well and got shut down?[/p][/quote]And what pub was that?[/p][/quote]The Castle in Midanbury and yes it has closed down[/p][/quote]enough proof to put him out of the game for good ,no coincidence . SNUGGLES 78
  • Score: -5

12:36pm Thu 31 Jul 14

durkiboy says...

saintsfc1234 wrote:
durkiboy wrote:
Popcorn Sutton wrote:
Wasn't the last pub he had well dodgy as well and got shut down?
And what pub was that?
The Castle in Midanbury and yes it has closed down
WRONG!!!!!!!!!

Ray did not have the Castle, and it wasn't shut down, Enterprise sold it to Tesco's, and this is despite the efforts of the landlord and landlady trying to buy the pub themselves.

If people want to put such derogatory remarks, then the least they can do is to get their facts right!
[quote][p][bold]saintsfc1234[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]durkiboy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Popcorn Sutton[/bold] wrote: Wasn't the last pub he had well dodgy as well and got shut down?[/p][/quote]And what pub was that?[/p][/quote]The Castle in Midanbury and yes it has closed down[/p][/quote]WRONG!!!!!!!!! Ray did not have the Castle, and it wasn't shut down, Enterprise sold it to Tesco's, and this is despite the efforts of the landlord and landlady trying to buy the pub themselves. If people want to put such derogatory remarks, then the least they can do is to get their facts right! durkiboy
  • Score: 44

12:57pm Thu 31 Jul 14

Geetarr_Man says...

Mr Bird failed to stop a 20 man"brawl"?? Correct me here if I'm wrong but unless he was superman or above the Law, how on earth can 1 man stop 20 people who clearly wanted to fight, wether in the Dorchester or in some pretend upper class plastic overpriced establishment? Anyone here who says they'd walk into 20 people brawling and stop them are liars. The police cannot control 2 people fighting and bottom line is anywhere that sells Alchol has the potential to have people become intoxicated and wanting to fight - wether a 5* fine dining place or a local pub in the a**hole of Southampton!!!
Forced to listen to Loud music?? No one forced these complaining neighbours to move into an abode next to or near a pub - shows the mentality of the people complaining. Divs
Mr Bird failed to stop a 20 man"brawl"?? Correct me here if I'm wrong but unless he was superman or above the Law, how on earth can 1 man stop 20 people who clearly wanted to fight, wether in the Dorchester or in some pretend upper class plastic overpriced establishment? Anyone here who says they'd walk into 20 people brawling and stop them are liars. The police cannot control 2 people fighting and bottom line is anywhere that sells Alchol has the potential to have people become intoxicated and wanting to fight - wether a 5* fine dining place or a local pub in the a**hole of Southampton!!! Forced to listen to Loud music?? No one forced these complaining neighbours to move into an abode next to or near a pub - shows the mentality of the people complaining. Divs Geetarr_Man
  • Score: 24

12:58pm Thu 31 Jul 14

Abkhazsoyuz says...

It was Ray's business partner that ran the Castle at Midanbury, not him.
It was Ray's business partner that ran the Castle at Midanbury, not him. Abkhazsoyuz
  • Score: 5

1:11pm Thu 31 Jul 14

PlasticMackem says...

Hard luck Ray. You did your best to turn around a popular pub in a s*** part of Town, with no help or backing from the owners. Best sports bar in the whole of Southampton. Good luck with whatever the future holds for you.
Hard luck Ray. You did your best to turn around a popular pub in a s*** part of Town, with no help or backing from the owners. Best sports bar in the whole of Southampton. Good luck with whatever the future holds for you. PlasticMackem
  • Score: 23

1:13pm Thu 31 Jul 14

CarlyKin says...

Such a shame that people feel the need to report what they say are facts when they are clearly not. Ray is a lovely bloke and has turned the pub around since he took over. Plenty of successful events have taken place there and I have never seen any trouble or cause for concern when I have been there for such events. Most pubs do have issues regarding trouble and I do not think it is fair to use this pub as a scapegoat! Ray cannot be held responsible for people who clearly want to cause trouble and as comment above states cannot be expected to break up a 20-man brawl. Ray has put changes in place as per advice from the police but with lack of support from Enterprise his hands are tied. Ray is certainly not "quitting" the pub either. If Enterprise have said they are terminating the Lease Ray has no choice but to leave!!!! Lastly and by no means least he did not run the Castle so god knows where that has come from!!! All of this is quite defamatory to a bloke who has done his best with the pub and would love to continue doing so if he was allowed!!!!
Such a shame that people feel the need to report what they say are facts when they are clearly not. Ray is a lovely bloke and has turned the pub around since he took over. Plenty of successful events have taken place there and I have never seen any trouble or cause for concern when I have been there for such events. Most pubs do have issues regarding trouble and I do not think it is fair to use this pub as a scapegoat! Ray cannot be held responsible for people who clearly want to cause trouble and as comment above states cannot be expected to break up a 20-man brawl. Ray has put changes in place as per advice from the police but with lack of support from Enterprise his hands are tied. Ray is certainly not "quitting" the pub either. If Enterprise have said they are terminating the Lease Ray has no choice but to leave!!!! Lastly and by no means least he did not run the Castle so god knows where that has come from!!! All of this is quite defamatory to a bloke who has done his best with the pub and would love to continue doing so if he was allowed!!!! CarlyKin
  • Score: 17

1:53pm Thu 31 Jul 14

S!monOn says...

CarlyKin wrote:
Such a shame that people feel the need to report what they say are facts when they are clearly not. Ray is a lovely bloke and has turned the pub around since he took over. Plenty of successful events have taken place there and I have never seen any trouble or cause for concern when I have been there for such events. Most pubs do have issues regarding trouble and I do not think it is fair to use this pub as a scapegoat! Ray cannot be held responsible for people who clearly want to cause trouble and as comment above states cannot be expected to break up a 20-man brawl. Ray has put changes in place as per advice from the police but with lack of support from Enterprise his hands are tied. Ray is certainly not "quitting" the pub either. If Enterprise have said they are terminating the Lease Ray has no choice but to leave!!!! Lastly and by no means least he did not run the Castle so god knows where that has come from!!! All of this is quite defamatory to a bloke who has done his best with the pub and would love to continue doing so if he was allowed!!!!
"Mr Bird, 32, said: “I wanted to leave before all this about the hearing."

I suppose DE has mis-quoted Mr Bird?
[quote][p][bold]CarlyKin[/bold] wrote: Such a shame that people feel the need to report what they say are facts when they are clearly not. Ray is a lovely bloke and has turned the pub around since he took over. Plenty of successful events have taken place there and I have never seen any trouble or cause for concern when I have been there for such events. Most pubs do have issues regarding trouble and I do not think it is fair to use this pub as a scapegoat! Ray cannot be held responsible for people who clearly want to cause trouble and as comment above states cannot be expected to break up a 20-man brawl. Ray has put changes in place as per advice from the police but with lack of support from Enterprise his hands are tied. Ray is certainly not "quitting" the pub either. If Enterprise have said they are terminating the Lease Ray has no choice but to leave!!!! Lastly and by no means least he did not run the Castle so god knows where that has come from!!! All of this is quite defamatory to a bloke who has done his best with the pub and would love to continue doing so if he was allowed!!!![/p][/quote]"Mr Bird, 32, said: “I wanted to leave before all this about the hearing." I suppose DE has mis-quoted Mr Bird? S!monOn
  • Score: 2

2:58pm Thu 31 Jul 14

camerajuan says...

PlasticMackem wrote:
Hard luck Ray. You did your best to turn around a popular pub in a s*** part of Town, with no help or backing from the owners. Best sports bar in the whole of Southampton. Good luck with whatever the future holds for you.
The sooner this place gets a re-haul the better, best of luck to the landlord in whatever else he does.

For the new landlord - banning the West Quay Taxi Massive would be a great start, though that's if any of them are still free men after their trial for starting - nay, ORGANISING - yet ANOTHER brawl in Clovelly Road earlier this year - which despite it going unmentioned in the DE thus far, it happened. And they are all going to court.

I hope they all get put away this time. Multiple, repeat offenders with no regard for anyone else - they deserve it.
[quote][p][bold]PlasticMackem[/bold] wrote: Hard luck Ray. You did your best to turn around a popular pub in a s*** part of Town, with no help or backing from the owners. Best sports bar in the whole of Southampton. Good luck with whatever the future holds for you.[/p][/quote]The sooner this place gets a re-haul the better, best of luck to the landlord in whatever else he does. For the new landlord - banning the West Quay Taxi Massive would be a great start, though that's if any of them are still free men after their trial for starting - nay, ORGANISING - yet ANOTHER brawl in Clovelly Road earlier this year - which despite it going unmentioned in the DE thus far, it happened. And they are all going to court. I hope they all get put away this time. Multiple, repeat offenders with no regard for anyone else - they deserve it. camerajuan
  • Score: 11

3:21pm Thu 31 Jul 14

AngryAleMan says...

"The landlord refused to step in an ban a huge group of intimidating taxi drivers that may well be linked with organised violence in Southampton."

Yeah....
"The landlord refused to step in an ban a huge group of intimidating taxi drivers that may well be linked with organised violence in Southampton." Yeah.... AngryAleMan
  • Score: 7

4:12pm Thu 31 Jul 14

eddiemac says...

Think Ray done a grand job there , echo have wrote misleading article again not for the first time. All the best ray in what the future holds for you
Think Ray done a grand job there , echo have wrote misleading article again not for the first time. All the best ray in what the future holds for you eddiemac
  • Score: 2

5:00pm Thu 31 Jul 14

CarlyKin says...

S!monOn wrote:
CarlyKin wrote:
Such a shame that people feel the need to report what they say are facts when they are clearly not. Ray is a lovely bloke and has turned the pub around since he took over. Plenty of successful events have taken place there and I have never seen any trouble or cause for concern when I have been there for such events. Most pubs do have issues regarding trouble and I do not think it is fair to use this pub as a scapegoat! Ray cannot be held responsible for people who clearly want to cause trouble and as comment above states cannot be expected to break up a 20-man brawl. Ray has put changes in place as per advice from the police but with lack of support from Enterprise his hands are tied. Ray is certainly not "quitting" the pub either. If Enterprise have said they are terminating the Lease Ray has no choice but to leave!!!! Lastly and by no means least he did not run the Castle so god knows where that has come from!!! All of this is quite defamatory to a bloke who has done his best with the pub and would love to continue doing so if he was allowed!!!!
"Mr Bird, 32, said: “I wanted to leave before all this about the hearing."

I suppose DE has mis-quoted Mr Bird?
It does happen as with all media and I know Ray did not quit. Enterprise are intending on terminating the lease therefore he has no choice but to leave
[quote][p][bold]S!monOn[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]CarlyKin[/bold] wrote: Such a shame that people feel the need to report what they say are facts when they are clearly not. Ray is a lovely bloke and has turned the pub around since he took over. Plenty of successful events have taken place there and I have never seen any trouble or cause for concern when I have been there for such events. Most pubs do have issues regarding trouble and I do not think it is fair to use this pub as a scapegoat! Ray cannot be held responsible for people who clearly want to cause trouble and as comment above states cannot be expected to break up a 20-man brawl. Ray has put changes in place as per advice from the police but with lack of support from Enterprise his hands are tied. Ray is certainly not "quitting" the pub either. If Enterprise have said they are terminating the Lease Ray has no choice but to leave!!!! Lastly and by no means least he did not run the Castle so god knows where that has come from!!! All of this is quite defamatory to a bloke who has done his best with the pub and would love to continue doing so if he was allowed!!!![/p][/quote]"Mr Bird, 32, said: “I wanted to leave before all this about the hearing." I suppose DE has mis-quoted Mr Bird?[/p][/quote]It does happen as with all media and I know Ray did not quit. Enterprise are intending on terminating the lease therefore he has no choice but to leave CarlyKin
  • Score: 3

5:55pm Thu 31 Jul 14

sydneyfarm says...

Enterprise inns again, another building plot coming up soon!
Enterprise inns again, another building plot coming up soon! sydneyfarm
  • Score: 5

8:51pm Thu 31 Jul 14

big g 1963 says...

Always was a dodgy guy. Band from st marys stadium as well.
Always was a dodgy guy. Band from st marys stadium as well. big g 1963
  • Score: -7

8:54pm Thu 31 Jul 14

big g 1963 says...

Used to manage the castle fc but couldnt control them.
Used to manage the castle fc but couldnt control them. big g 1963
  • Score: -3

10:17pm Thu 31 Jul 14

03alpe01 says...

I'm assuming Tescos are liking this?
I'm assuming Tescos are liking this? 03alpe01
  • Score: 1

12:57am Fri 1 Aug 14

SNUGGLES 78 says...

big g 1963 wrote:
Used to manage the castle fc but couldnt control them.
johnny fartpants had a good go lol
[quote][p][bold]big g 1963[/bold] wrote: Used to manage the castle fc but couldnt control them.[/p][/quote]johnny fartpants had a good go lol SNUGGLES 78
  • Score: -2

9:25am Fri 1 Aug 14

katsheroes says...

Ray was on a hiding to nothing from the start.Enterprise have done the damage to The Dorchester, The Castle, The Bitterne Park Hotel and many others by bringing in Landlords/ladies and then moving the goalposts with terrible rental prices, high beer prices and backtracking on any help they promised. All the best Ray
Ray was on a hiding to nothing from the start.Enterprise have done the damage to The Dorchester, The Castle, The Bitterne Park Hotel and many others by bringing in Landlords/ladies and then moving the goalposts with terrible rental prices, high beer prices and backtracking on any help they promised. All the best Ray katsheroes
  • Score: 4

9:37am Fri 1 Aug 14

durkiboy says...

SNUGGLES 78 wrote:
big g 1963 wrote:
Used to manage the castle fc but couldnt control them.
johnny fartpants had a good go lol
big g, I assume you have more inside knowledge than Ray's friends, so please put some credence into your comments and elaborate as to how you "know" these facts.

If you can't back them up, then do not post them, as not only could it prejudice any future employment prospects etc, but also the comments could be deemed as libel, and so leaving you wide open for Ray to make a formal complaint to the Police and potentially take you to court.
[quote][p][bold]SNUGGLES 78[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]big g 1963[/bold] wrote: Used to manage the castle fc but couldnt control them.[/p][/quote]johnny fartpants had a good go lol[/p][/quote]big g, I assume you have more inside knowledge than Ray's friends, so please put some credence into your comments and elaborate as to how you "know" these facts. If you can't back them up, then do not post them, as not only could it prejudice any future employment prospects etc, but also the comments could be deemed as libel, and so leaving you wide open for Ray to make a formal complaint to the Police and potentially take you to court. durkiboy
  • Score: -2

9:46am Fri 1 Aug 14

Advisoriescaution says...

big g 1963 wrote:
Always was a dodgy guy. Band from st marys stadium as well.
Hi big g, Miss Furmage now Called Mrs Durham, used to go out with this charlatan 9 years ago. People on this DE comments page think he is a lovely man. Ray isn't!!! Little do these poor naive people know this con artist stole over £800 from Mrs Durhams bank account which were her life savings and was actively caught by Hampshire Police on CCTV making these withdrawals from ATM's all over Southampton. Its a shame Mr Birds money thieving was never published in the Daily Echo as it should have been. But then 9 years ago nobody had a clue this man would have become a landlord. He used to work for British Gas at the call centre before he was a landlord and used to deliberately take time off sick. And if Mr Bird is reading this he will deny everything. Oh he knows this very well...
[quote][p][bold]big g 1963[/bold] wrote: Always was a dodgy guy. Band from st marys stadium as well.[/p][/quote]Hi big g, Miss Furmage now Called Mrs Durham, used to go out with this charlatan 9 years ago. People on this DE comments page think he is a lovely man. Ray isn't!!! Little do these poor naive people know this con artist stole over £800 from Mrs Durhams bank account which were her life savings and was actively caught by Hampshire Police on CCTV making these withdrawals from ATM's all over Southampton. Its a shame Mr Birds money thieving was never published in the Daily Echo as it should have been. But then 9 years ago nobody had a clue this man would have become a landlord. He used to work for British Gas at the call centre before he was a landlord and used to deliberately take time off sick. And if Mr Bird is reading this he will deny everything. Oh he knows this very well... Advisoriescaution
  • Score: 4

9:57am Fri 1 Aug 14

sydneyfarm says...

Mr Bird may or not be a nice guy, comments are mixed on here.What we do know is Enterprise inns have aquired lots of Pubs somehow, and as a poster said earlier changed the goalposts. They are actively closing down pubs in communities just because they don`t make vast profits, even though they make modest profit and provide a service to the community. Enterprise should be investigated before there are no pubs left.
Mr Bird may or not be a nice guy, comments are mixed on here.What we do know is Enterprise inns have aquired lots of Pubs somehow, and as a poster said earlier changed the goalposts. They are actively closing down pubs in communities just because they don`t make vast profits, even though they make modest profit and provide a service to the community. Enterprise should be investigated before there are no pubs left. sydneyfarm
  • Score: 5

10:17am Fri 1 Aug 14

Advisoriescaution says...

Peoples Choice wrote:
Is it too soon to say Mr Bird touched me when I was 12??!!
I'm afraid to say any matters like that would be a matter for the Police to deal with. I know I would never untruely slander someone or write libel if such events did not happen and if events were not on file with Hampshire Police (Containing bank statements and CCTV as evidence).
[quote][p][bold]Peoples Choice[/bold] wrote: Is it too soon to say Mr Bird touched me when I was 12??!![/p][/quote]I'm afraid to say any matters like that would be a matter for the Police to deal with. I know I would never untruely slander someone or write libel if such events did not happen and if events were not on file with Hampshire Police (Containing bank statements and CCTV as evidence). Advisoriescaution
  • Score: 0

3:43pm Fri 1 Aug 14

andyb201084 says...

Advisoriescaution wrote:
big g 1963 wrote:
Always was a dodgy guy. Band from st marys stadium as well.
Hi big g, Miss Furmage now Called Mrs Durham, used to go out with this charlatan 9 years ago. People on this DE comments page think he is a lovely man. Ray isn't!!! Little do these poor naive people know this con artist stole over £800 from Mrs Durhams bank account which were her life savings and was actively caught by Hampshire Police on CCTV making these withdrawals from ATM's all over Southampton. Its a shame Mr Birds money thieving was never published in the Daily Echo as it should have been. But then 9 years ago nobody had a clue this man would have become a landlord. He used to work for British Gas at the call centre before he was a landlord and used to deliberately take time off sick. And if Mr Bird is reading this he will deny everything. Oh he knows this very well...
if this was true as know it is not true mr bird or anyone would not get a licence (landlord) to run a licenced establishment because by law you are no alould to if you have been charged of convicted with any crime a specially fraud to which is what you are accusing mr bird of.. and i sure with the amount of evidence you say of there would of been conviction or at least mr bird would of been charged.
one question for you what was the outcome of these allegations of yours !!!!!!!!!!!!
[quote][p][bold]Advisoriescaution[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]big g 1963[/bold] wrote: Always was a dodgy guy. Band from st marys stadium as well.[/p][/quote]Hi big g, Miss Furmage now Called Mrs Durham, used to go out with this charlatan 9 years ago. People on this DE comments page think he is a lovely man. Ray isn't!!! Little do these poor naive people know this con artist stole over £800 from Mrs Durhams bank account which were her life savings and was actively caught by Hampshire Police on CCTV making these withdrawals from ATM's all over Southampton. Its a shame Mr Birds money thieving was never published in the Daily Echo as it should have been. But then 9 years ago nobody had a clue this man would have become a landlord. He used to work for British Gas at the call centre before he was a landlord and used to deliberately take time off sick. And if Mr Bird is reading this he will deny everything. Oh he knows this very well...[/p][/quote]if this was true as know it is not true mr bird or anyone would not get a licence (landlord) to run a licenced establishment because by law you are no alould to if you have been charged of convicted with any crime a specially fraud to which is what you are accusing mr bird of.. and i sure with the amount of evidence you say of there would of been conviction or at least mr bird would of been charged. one question for you what was the outcome of these allegations of yours !!!!!!!!!!!! andyb201084
  • Score: -3

3:59pm Fri 1 Aug 14

Tenderhearts wife says...

Christ there's a lot of mudslinging going on here! A lot of posters would welcome the return of 'stoning' judging by their comments , most of which have no bearing on the original 'story' at all.
Christ there's a lot of mudslinging going on here! A lot of posters would welcome the return of 'stoning' judging by their comments , most of which have no bearing on the original 'story' at all. Tenderhearts wife
  • Score: 2

6:51am Sat 2 Aug 14

always be blue says...

thieving **** nicked my cardiff shirt of the line ,i think he should be stoned ,his head cut off and stuffed on a pole and placed at the entrance of st mary as a warning to others lmfao
thieving **** nicked my cardiff shirt of the line ,i think he should be stoned ,his head cut off and stuffed on a pole and placed at the entrance of st mary as a warning to others lmfao always be blue
  • Score: 3

11:11am Sat 2 Aug 14

Terrylj says...

He says he "turned the pub around"
Turned it on its arse more like. The last landlord was in that pub for best part of 40years and never had the sort of trouble ray bird has had. Was a great pub to go to a few years back
He says he "turned the pub around" Turned it on its arse more like. The last landlord was in that pub for best part of 40years and never had the sort of trouble ray bird has had. Was a great pub to go to a few years back Terrylj
  • Score: -10

12:49pm Sat 2 Aug 14

Advisoriescaution says...

andyb201084 wrote:
Advisoriescaution wrote:
big g 1963 wrote:
Always was a dodgy guy. Band from st marys stadium as well.
Hi big g, Miss Furmage now Called Mrs Durham, used to go out with this charlatan 9 years ago. People on this DE comments page think he is a lovely man. Ray isn't!!! Little do these poor naive people know this con artist stole over £800 from Mrs Durhams bank account which were her life savings and was actively caught by Hampshire Police on CCTV making these withdrawals from ATM's all over Southampton. Its a shame Mr Birds money thieving was never published in the Daily Echo as it should have been. But then 9 years ago nobody had a clue this man would have become a landlord. He used to work for British Gas at the call centre before he was a landlord and used to deliberately take time off sick. And if Mr Bird is reading this he will deny everything. Oh he knows this very well...
if this was true as know it is not true mr bird or anyone would not get a licence (landlord) to run a licenced establishment because by law you are no alould to if you have been charged of convicted with any crime a specially fraud to which is what you are accusing mr bird of.. and i sure with the amount of evidence you say of there would of been conviction or at least mr bird would of been charged.
one question for you what was the outcome of these allegations of yours !!!!!!!!!!!!
FYI: Mrs Durham (Previously Miss Furmage) decided not to press charges on Mr Bird because they were in a relationship at the time and she was kind hearted and showed compassion towards Ray. I can appreciate the fact you are an outsider and are a total stranger to Mr Bird as you can only judge his character based on a public story which is only fair for you to do but please bear in mind this is a local newspaper and there are people here who know Mr Bird and his history very well. He is known locally for fiddling money and taking cash right from under the noses of business owners who trust him the most but of course, because he conveys himself as "Mr Nice Guy" infront of his customers and everywhere else the whole community loves him. If only they knew *Sigh*
[quote][p][bold]andyb201084[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Advisoriescaution[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]big g 1963[/bold] wrote: Always was a dodgy guy. Band from st marys stadium as well.[/p][/quote]Hi big g, Miss Furmage now Called Mrs Durham, used to go out with this charlatan 9 years ago. People on this DE comments page think he is a lovely man. Ray isn't!!! Little do these poor naive people know this con artist stole over £800 from Mrs Durhams bank account which were her life savings and was actively caught by Hampshire Police on CCTV making these withdrawals from ATM's all over Southampton. Its a shame Mr Birds money thieving was never published in the Daily Echo as it should have been. But then 9 years ago nobody had a clue this man would have become a landlord. He used to work for British Gas at the call centre before he was a landlord and used to deliberately take time off sick. And if Mr Bird is reading this he will deny everything. Oh he knows this very well...[/p][/quote]if this was true as know it is not true mr bird or anyone would not get a licence (landlord) to run a licenced establishment because by law you are no alould to if you have been charged of convicted with any crime a specially fraud to which is what you are accusing mr bird of.. and i sure with the amount of evidence you say of there would of been conviction or at least mr bird would of been charged. one question for you what was the outcome of these allegations of yours !!!!!!!!!!!![/p][/quote]FYI: Mrs Durham (Previously Miss Furmage) decided not to press charges on Mr Bird because they were in a relationship at the time and she was kind hearted and showed compassion towards Ray. I can appreciate the fact you are an outsider and are a total stranger to Mr Bird as you can only judge his character based on a public story which is only fair for you to do but please bear in mind this is a local newspaper and there are people here who know Mr Bird and his history very well. He is known locally for fiddling money and taking cash right from under the noses of business owners who trust him the most but of course, because he conveys himself as "Mr Nice Guy" infront of his customers and everywhere else the whole community loves him. If only they knew *Sigh* Advisoriescaution
  • Score: 0

4:18pm Sat 2 Aug 14

andyb201084 says...

Advisoriescaution wrote:
andyb201084 wrote:
Advisoriescaution wrote:
big g 1963 wrote:
Always was a dodgy guy. Band from st marys stadium as well.
Hi big g, Miss Furmage now Called Mrs Durham, used to go out with this charlatan 9 years ago. People on this DE comments page think he is a lovely man. Ray isn't!!! Little do these poor naive people know this con artist stole over £800 from Mrs Durhams bank account which were her life savings and was actively caught by Hampshire Police on CCTV making these withdrawals from ATM's all over Southampton. Its a shame Mr Birds money thieving was never published in the Daily Echo as it should have been. But then 9 years ago nobody had a clue this man would have become a landlord. He used to work for British Gas at the call centre before he was a landlord and used to deliberately take time off sick. And if Mr Bird is reading this he will deny everything. Oh he knows this very well...
if this was true as know it is not true mr bird or anyone would not get a licence (landlord) to run a licenced establishment because by law you are no alould to if you have been charged of convicted with any crime a specially fraud to which is what you are accusing mr bird of.. and i sure with the amount of evidence you say of there would of been conviction or at least mr bird would of been charged.
one question for you what was the outcome of these allegations of yours !!!!!!!!!!!!
FYI: Mrs Durham (Previously Miss Furmage) decided not to press charges on Mr Bird because they were in a relationship at the time and she was kind hearted and showed compassion towards Ray. I can appreciate the fact you are an outsider and are a total stranger to Mr Bird as you can only judge his character based on a public story which is only fair for you to do but please bear in mind this is a local newspaper and there are people here who know Mr Bird and his history very well. He is known locally for fiddling money and taking cash right from under the noses of business owners who trust him the most but of course, because he conveys himself as "Mr Nice Guy" infront of his customers and everywhere else the whole community loves him. If only they knew *Sigh*
do u have any proof to your accusations about mr bird because i am very sure you saying
" Mr Bird and his history very well. He is known locally for fiddling money and taking cash right from under the noses of business owners who trust him "
would open you to prosecution if as we both know are lies
as for you say how nice Mrs Durham (Previously Miss Furmage is well we both know thats a load of bs but unlike you some of us dont wash are dirty linen in public and if that the best lies you can come up with after as you say 9 years well xxx
[quote][p][bold]Advisoriescaution[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]andyb201084[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Advisoriescaution[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]big g 1963[/bold] wrote: Always was a dodgy guy. Band from st marys stadium as well.[/p][/quote]Hi big g, Miss Furmage now Called Mrs Durham, used to go out with this charlatan 9 years ago. People on this DE comments page think he is a lovely man. Ray isn't!!! Little do these poor naive people know this con artist stole over £800 from Mrs Durhams bank account which were her life savings and was actively caught by Hampshire Police on CCTV making these withdrawals from ATM's all over Southampton. Its a shame Mr Birds money thieving was never published in the Daily Echo as it should have been. But then 9 years ago nobody had a clue this man would have become a landlord. He used to work for British Gas at the call centre before he was a landlord and used to deliberately take time off sick. And if Mr Bird is reading this he will deny everything. Oh he knows this very well...[/p][/quote]if this was true as know it is not true mr bird or anyone would not get a licence (landlord) to run a licenced establishment because by law you are no alould to if you have been charged of convicted with any crime a specially fraud to which is what you are accusing mr bird of.. and i sure with the amount of evidence you say of there would of been conviction or at least mr bird would of been charged. one question for you what was the outcome of these allegations of yours !!!!!!!!!!!![/p][/quote]FYI: Mrs Durham (Previously Miss Furmage) decided not to press charges on Mr Bird because they were in a relationship at the time and she was kind hearted and showed compassion towards Ray. I can appreciate the fact you are an outsider and are a total stranger to Mr Bird as you can only judge his character based on a public story which is only fair for you to do but please bear in mind this is a local newspaper and there are people here who know Mr Bird and his history very well. He is known locally for fiddling money and taking cash right from under the noses of business owners who trust him the most but of course, because he conveys himself as "Mr Nice Guy" infront of his customers and everywhere else the whole community loves him. If only they knew *Sigh*[/p][/quote]do u have any proof to your accusations about mr bird because i am very sure you saying " Mr Bird and his history very well. He is known locally for fiddling money and taking cash right from under the noses of business owners who trust him " would open you to prosecution if as we both know are lies as for you say how nice Mrs Durham (Previously Miss Furmage is well we both know thats a load of bs but unlike you some of us dont wash are dirty linen in public and if that the best lies you can come up with after as you say 9 years well xxx andyb201084
  • Score: -1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree