Family heartache after inquest rules death of ‘vulnerable’ young mum was accidental after she took legal high

Lucy Simms

Lucy Simms

First published in News
Last updated

THE family of a young mum who died from a so-called “legal high” have said they will never know the full details of her death after the man who supplied the lethal drug was not called to give evidence at her inquest.

Lucy Simms died after taking the drug that was given to her by convicted rapist and drug offender Lloyd Phillips and which has since been banned.

Although Phillips was the last person to see the mum-of-one alive a coroner decided he did not need to face questions about her final hours – despite him initially being arrested on suspicion of murdering the 26-year-old from Southampton.

The family had their hopes were pinned on Phillips attending the inquest.

But despite the coroner himself questioning his account of what happened in Lucy’s final hours he was not called to explain what happened.

That decision has been slammed by Lucy’s ex-partner and father of her child, who has branded it “unjust”.

The inquest was held at Winchester Crown Court in order to facilitate hearing from Phillips, who is currently serving a lengthy jail term.

The hearing concluded that Lucy’s death had been accidental after she had taken a so-called legal high called APB given to her by Phillips – which was banned six days after she died in June last year.

Evidence from Detective Sergeant Gareth Jones revealed that Lucy, 26, had been experimenting with various drugs in a bid to “create the perfect buzz” and that she had kept a diary which methodically recorded her experiments and how the drugs affected her.

The inquest did hear two statements from Phillips outlining his version of events surrounding her death.

Describing Lucy as his girlfriend he said the pair had been in a relationship for a few months following her split from Gary. Phillips said Lucy had taken a second “bomb” of a legal high – known as APB – during the evening before she was found dead.

He said she had waved him off from her home in Vinery Road, Shirley, but that when he returned the next morning he found her dead on her bedroom floor wrapped in electronic cables.

He admitted to police that before calling 999 he disposed of the APB powder down the sink and thrown away the bags because he “panicked”.

Coroner Grahame Short told the hearing: “I don’t accept that Mr Phillips’ statements give a full account of his involvement but I am satisfied that he did give Lucy APB, which was not a criminal act at that time.”

He said that despite his concerns about Phillips’ account, he believed it did not alter the circumstances of her death.

However, Lucy’s ex-partner Gary Willoughby told the Daily Echo that he had wanted Phillips to be at least questioned about the inconsistencies in his version of events surrounding Lucy’s death and has been left with many questions unanswered.

He said: “It’s unjust. Surely this man has a responsibility to answer questions about what happened, he was the last one to see her alive and he admitted in his statement that he dis posed of the drugs at Lucy’s house before calling the police when he found her.

“There are many inconsistencies in his statements and the coroner himself said he wasn’t satisfied that things added up, so why was there no opportunity to question him?

“Lucy was vulnerable and suffering from mental health problems and I believe Phillips had a negative effect on her life.

“She told friends that she was going through a tough time, that she felt alone and she fell under his influence.”

The coroner’s office would not be drawn on why Phillips had not given evidence via video link from prison, as Lucy’s family had been expecting, simply saying that it was the coroner’s decision and adding that there had been some technical difficulties.

As exclusively revealed by the Echo, Phillips, the former owner of a shop that sold so-called “legal highs”, was arrested on suspicion of Lucy’s murder.

At the time he was on bail for raping and drugging a young woman, for which he was later convicted and jailed for 11 years, along with other drugs charges.

No further action has been taken by police concerning the death of Lucy.

A post-mortem revealed that the cables wrapped around Lucy’s abdomen and neck had not caused any injury but their “purpose” could not be explained.

Pathologist Russell Delaney said he found 80 marks of injury on her body but that these were small bruises and abrasions which had occurred at various times and were “not indicative” of a violent episode of assault.

He said he could not be certain about the exact time of her death but concluded that it would have been the night before she was found.

Coroner Mr Short concluded that there was no evidence to suggest a third party had forced Lucy, whom he described as “vulnerable”, to swallow the drug and that it was best described as an “experiment that went wrong”.

He added: “I find that the evidence shows that Lucy did not intend to end her life but rather that she did not fully understand the effects of the drugs she was taking.”

After the inquest Gary said that Lucy had never regularly taken drugs during their five-year relationship and that it had only become a recent thing as she struggled with depression.

He said: “This wasn’t a case of a reckless woman taking an accidental overdose. She was suffering from mental health issues and she was vulnerable and needed more support.

“She was a loving mother to our daughter and always tried to put her first. Our daughter was her heart and soul.

“She was trying to put her life back together but got caught in a downward spiral.”

Comments (20)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:33am Thu 7 Aug 14

Huey says...

Sadly killed by her own questionable actions and sordid lifestyle.
It is the kid I feel sorry for, although it is probably better off removed from a drug taking environment.
Sadly killed by her own questionable actions and sordid lifestyle. It is the kid I feel sorry for, although it is probably better off removed from a drug taking environment. Huey
  • Score: 8

8:51am Thu 7 Aug 14

Woolston ollie says...

Nobody forced her to take drugs, addiction is a bad thing but if having a young child isnt enough to get yourself off drugs or to seek help, then there is no hope.
Nobody forced her to take drugs, addiction is a bad thing but if having a young child isnt enough to get yourself off drugs or to seek help, then there is no hope. Woolston ollie
  • Score: 8

8:53am Thu 7 Aug 14

Heidisimms says...

Just remember whatever your thoughts/feeling are towards my sister..............
.... there is a little girl who will read these comments in years to come. This little girl needs Protecting from such negativity about her mother. Please spare a thought before writing . Thank you.
Just remember whatever your thoughts/feeling are towards my sister.............. .... there is a little girl who will read these comments in years to come. This little girl needs Protecting from such negativity about her mother. Please spare a thought before writing . Thank you. Heidisimms
  • Score: 26

9:42am Thu 7 Aug 14

Dai Rear says...

Heidisimms wrote:
Just remember whatever your thoughts/feeling are towards my sister..............

.... there is a little girl who will read these comments in years to come. This little girl needs Protecting from such negativity about her mother. Please spare a thought before writing . Thank you.
I cannot imagine the remotest reason why she should. Can you?
However on another topic
"she had taken a so-called legal high called APB given to her by Phillips "
Is that not the scenario that Sections 23 and 24 of the Offences Against The Person Act 1861 are intended to cover?
Stick him in front of a jury. Under Blunkett Law the jury will know what this "person" is doing time for. Give it a go CPS!
[quote][p][bold]Heidisimms[/bold] wrote: Just remember whatever your thoughts/feeling are towards my sister.............. .... there is a little girl who will read these comments in years to come. This little girl needs Protecting from such negativity about her mother. Please spare a thought before writing . Thank you.[/p][/quote]I cannot imagine the remotest reason why she should. Can you? However on another topic "she had taken a so-called legal high called APB given to her by Phillips " Is that not the scenario that Sections 23 and 24 of the Offences Against The Person Act 1861 are intended to cover? Stick him in front of a jury. Under Blunkett Law the jury will know what this "person" is doing time for. Give it a go CPS! Dai Rear
  • Score: -2

9:48am Thu 7 Aug 14

hayz90 says...

i think thease coments are discusting so your lifes are so perfect has never done anything wrong .a young lady has lost her life regardless of how it happened she still grew her wings and left a little girl behind R.I.P xx
i think thease coments are discusting so your lifes are so perfect has never done anything wrong .a young lady has lost her life regardless of how it happened she still grew her wings and left a little girl behind R.I.P xx hayz90
  • Score: -1

10:00am Thu 7 Aug 14

sotonbusdriver says...

Heidisimms wrote:
Just remember whatever your thoughts/feeling are towards my sister..............

.... there is a little girl who will read these comments in years to come. This little girl needs Protecting from such negativity about her mother. Please spare a thought before writing . Thank you.
It is sad news that any family looses a senior member like a mother, and them knowing all the sordid details isn't really good for the children of this mother.....
But it has to be said, that legal highs are so wide and vast that to legalize and remove them all from sale wouldn't be realistic....
When I was a teenager the legal high of those days was to sniff glue and petrol.... Neither are illegal under the proper use, but they all offer extreme highs if inhaled... Because we use them correctly they are fine, but for a small minority of people that wish to inhale the fumes, which can lead ultimately to DEATH... Should we remove them from sale????
Legal highs, are often designed for a reason and fit purpose, for some to use them in an unsafe manner, doesn't mean they should be taken off sale....
People who want to get a BUZZ, to cope with life, will find new and ingenious ways to achieve that...
We need to deal with the problem, MENTAL HEALTH.... Something that is the real and deep reason that people seek to use drugs and substances in an unsafe manner....
Unfortunately this Government like past ones, do not promote and finance these hidden illness's as they have to admit they exist and that opens a full range of benefits payout....
We need to stop hiding mental health under the carpet and deal with the underlying causes, not the end results that occur
[quote][p][bold]Heidisimms[/bold] wrote: Just remember whatever your thoughts/feeling are towards my sister.............. .... there is a little girl who will read these comments in years to come. This little girl needs Protecting from such negativity about her mother. Please spare a thought before writing . Thank you.[/p][/quote]It is sad news that any family looses a senior member like a mother, and them knowing all the sordid details isn't really good for the children of this mother..... But it has to be said, that legal highs are so wide and vast that to legalize and remove them all from sale wouldn't be realistic.... When I was a teenager the legal high of those days was to sniff glue and petrol.... Neither are illegal under the proper use, but they all offer extreme highs if inhaled... Because we use them correctly they are fine, but for a small minority of people that wish to inhale the fumes, which can lead ultimately to DEATH... Should we remove them from sale???? Legal highs, are often designed for a reason and fit purpose, for some to use them in an unsafe manner, doesn't mean they should be taken off sale.... People who want to get a BUZZ, to cope with life, will find new and ingenious ways to achieve that... We need to deal with the problem, MENTAL HEALTH.... Something that is the real and deep reason that people seek to use drugs and substances in an unsafe manner.... Unfortunately this Government like past ones, do not promote and finance these hidden illness's as they have to admit they exist and that opens a full range of benefits payout.... We need to stop hiding mental health under the carpet and deal with the underlying causes, not the end results that occur sotonbusdriver
  • Score: 9

10:56am Thu 7 Aug 14

S!monOn says...

sotonbusdriver wrote:
Heidisimms wrote:
Just remember whatever your thoughts/feeling are towards my sister..............


.... there is a little girl who will read these comments in years to come. This little girl needs Protecting from such negativity about her mother. Please spare a thought before writing . Thank you.
It is sad news that any family looses a senior member like a mother, and them knowing all the sordid details isn't really good for the children of this mother.....
But it has to be said, that legal highs are so wide and vast that to legalize and remove them all from sale wouldn't be realistic....
When I was a teenager the legal high of those days was to sniff glue and petrol.... Neither are illegal under the proper use, but they all offer extreme highs if inhaled... Because we use them correctly they are fine, but for a small minority of people that wish to inhale the fumes, which can lead ultimately to DEATH... Should we remove them from sale????
Legal highs, are often designed for a reason and fit purpose, for some to use them in an unsafe manner, doesn't mean they should be taken off sale....
People who want to get a BUZZ, to cope with life, will find new and ingenious ways to achieve that...
We need to deal with the problem, MENTAL HEALTH.... Something that is the real and deep reason that people seek to use drugs and substances in an unsafe manner....
Unfortunately this Government like past ones, do not promote and finance these hidden illness's as they have to admit they exist and that opens a full range of benefits payout....
We need to stop hiding mental health under the carpet and deal with the underlying causes, not the end results that occur
How do users of legal highs know when is the limit? The limit before it becomes unsafe for them? I assume, by the time they know.... it's too late.

There are plenty of other ways to get a "buzz" or to "cope with life", and personally, taking drugs (legal or not) isn't one of them.
[quote][p][bold]sotonbusdriver[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Heidisimms[/bold] wrote: Just remember whatever your thoughts/feeling are towards my sister.............. .... there is a little girl who will read these comments in years to come. This little girl needs Protecting from such negativity about her mother. Please spare a thought before writing . Thank you.[/p][/quote]It is sad news that any family looses a senior member like a mother, and them knowing all the sordid details isn't really good for the children of this mother..... But it has to be said, that legal highs are so wide and vast that to legalize and remove them all from sale wouldn't be realistic.... When I was a teenager the legal high of those days was to sniff glue and petrol.... Neither are illegal under the proper use, but they all offer extreme highs if inhaled... Because we use them correctly they are fine, but for a small minority of people that wish to inhale the fumes, which can lead ultimately to DEATH... Should we remove them from sale???? Legal highs, are often designed for a reason and fit purpose, for some to use them in an unsafe manner, doesn't mean they should be taken off sale.... People who want to get a BUZZ, to cope with life, will find new and ingenious ways to achieve that... We need to deal with the problem, MENTAL HEALTH.... Something that is the real and deep reason that people seek to use drugs and substances in an unsafe manner.... Unfortunately this Government like past ones, do not promote and finance these hidden illness's as they have to admit they exist and that opens a full range of benefits payout.... We need to stop hiding mental health under the carpet and deal with the underlying causes, not the end results that occur[/p][/quote]How do users of legal highs know when is the limit? The limit before it becomes unsafe for them? I assume, by the time they know.... it's too late. There are plenty of other ways to get a "buzz" or to "cope with life", and personally, taking drugs (legal or not) isn't one of them. S!monOn
  • Score: 3

11:11am Thu 7 Aug 14

sotonbusdriver says...

S!monOn wrote:
sotonbusdriver wrote:
Heidisimms wrote:
Just remember whatever your thoughts/feeling are towards my sister..............



.... there is a little girl who will read these comments in years to come. This little girl needs Protecting from such negativity about her mother. Please spare a thought before writing . Thank you.
It is sad news that any family looses a senior member like a mother, and them knowing all the sordid details isn't really good for the children of this mother.....
But it has to be said, that legal highs are so wide and vast that to legalize and remove them all from sale wouldn't be realistic....
When I was a teenager the legal high of those days was to sniff glue and petrol.... Neither are illegal under the proper use, but they all offer extreme highs if inhaled... Because we use them correctly they are fine, but for a small minority of people that wish to inhale the fumes, which can lead ultimately to DEATH... Should we remove them from sale????
Legal highs, are often designed for a reason and fit purpose, for some to use them in an unsafe manner, doesn't mean they should be taken off sale....
People who want to get a BUZZ, to cope with life, will find new and ingenious ways to achieve that...
We need to deal with the problem, MENTAL HEALTH.... Something that is the real and deep reason that people seek to use drugs and substances in an unsafe manner....
Unfortunately this Government like past ones, do not promote and finance these hidden illness's as they have to admit they exist and that opens a full range of benefits payout....
We need to stop hiding mental health under the carpet and deal with the underlying causes, not the end results that occur
How do users of legal highs know when is the limit? The limit before it becomes unsafe for them? I assume, by the time they know.... it's too late.

There are plenty of other ways to get a "buzz" or to "cope with life", and personally, taking drugs (legal or not) isn't one of them.
I am not promoting the use of drugs at all.....
My point is that a lot of the so called "Legal Highs" are in fact items that are used for other purposes, such as air-fresheners, aerosols, etc...
When they are used for the purpose they are made they are fine and do a job that they were made for.... Because someone buys and uses theses substances for any reason or way that is not part of the manufacturers instructions then that is not within the control of LAW....
Should we ban something because people use it in the wrong manner, when it's sue is clearly stated...
Most of those LEGAL HIGHS, in fact have proper uses and are made for that purpose,,, but people will always find a way to make something do a job it was not made for....
You cannot stop everything that users, use for legal highs, otherwise we would have no BLEACH, PETROLEUM, AIR FRESHENERS, ETC.... Meaning many people suffer from not being about to do with them what they were made for.....
It is more important we open up the issues of mental health and deal with the reason that they take these legal highs, as removing legal highs will only lead to them finding new and more dangerous substances, also all the poor people that use BLEACH, AIR FRESHENERS, ETC will not be able to make their homes smell nice or keep them clean....
[quote][p][bold]S!monOn[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sotonbusdriver[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Heidisimms[/bold] wrote: Just remember whatever your thoughts/feeling are towards my sister.............. .... there is a little girl who will read these comments in years to come. This little girl needs Protecting from such negativity about her mother. Please spare a thought before writing . Thank you.[/p][/quote]It is sad news that any family looses a senior member like a mother, and them knowing all the sordid details isn't really good for the children of this mother..... But it has to be said, that legal highs are so wide and vast that to legalize and remove them all from sale wouldn't be realistic.... When I was a teenager the legal high of those days was to sniff glue and petrol.... Neither are illegal under the proper use, but they all offer extreme highs if inhaled... Because we use them correctly they are fine, but for a small minority of people that wish to inhale the fumes, which can lead ultimately to DEATH... Should we remove them from sale???? Legal highs, are often designed for a reason and fit purpose, for some to use them in an unsafe manner, doesn't mean they should be taken off sale.... People who want to get a BUZZ, to cope with life, will find new and ingenious ways to achieve that... We need to deal with the problem, MENTAL HEALTH.... Something that is the real and deep reason that people seek to use drugs and substances in an unsafe manner.... Unfortunately this Government like past ones, do not promote and finance these hidden illness's as they have to admit they exist and that opens a full range of benefits payout.... We need to stop hiding mental health under the carpet and deal with the underlying causes, not the end results that occur[/p][/quote]How do users of legal highs know when is the limit? The limit before it becomes unsafe for them? I assume, by the time they know.... it's too late. There are plenty of other ways to get a "buzz" or to "cope with life", and personally, taking drugs (legal or not) isn't one of them.[/p][/quote]I am not promoting the use of drugs at all..... My point is that a lot of the so called "Legal Highs" are in fact items that are used for other purposes, such as air-fresheners, aerosols, etc... When they are used for the purpose they are made they are fine and do a job that they were made for.... Because someone buys and uses theses substances for any reason or way that is not part of the manufacturers instructions then that is not within the control of LAW.... Should we ban something because people use it in the wrong manner, when it's sue is clearly stated... Most of those LEGAL HIGHS, in fact have proper uses and are made for that purpose,,, but people will always find a way to make something do a job it was not made for.... You cannot stop everything that users, use for legal highs, otherwise we would have no BLEACH, PETROLEUM, AIR FRESHENERS, ETC.... Meaning many people suffer from not being about to do with them what they were made for..... It is more important we open up the issues of mental health and deal with the reason that they take these legal highs, as removing legal highs will only lead to them finding new and more dangerous substances, also all the poor people that use BLEACH, AIR FRESHENERS, ETC will not be able to make their homes smell nice or keep them clean.... sotonbusdriver
  • Score: 2

11:40am Thu 7 Aug 14

userds5050 says...

Dai Rear wrote:
Heidisimms wrote:
Just remember whatever your thoughts/feeling are towards my sister..............


.... there is a little girl who will read these comments in years to come. This little girl needs Protecting from such negativity about her mother. Please spare a thought before writing . Thank you.
I cannot imagine the remotest reason why she should. Can you?
However on another topic
"she had taken a so-called legal high called APB given to her by Phillips "
Is that not the scenario that Sections 23 and 24 of the Offences Against The Person Act 1861 are intended to cover?
Stick him in front of a jury. Under Blunkett Law the jury will know what this "person" is doing time for. Give it a go CPS!
The jury would only be told about previous convictions if they are for a similar offence.
[quote][p][bold]Dai Rear[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Heidisimms[/bold] wrote: Just remember whatever your thoughts/feeling are towards my sister.............. .... there is a little girl who will read these comments in years to come. This little girl needs Protecting from such negativity about her mother. Please spare a thought before writing . Thank you.[/p][/quote]I cannot imagine the remotest reason why she should. Can you? However on another topic "she had taken a so-called legal high called APB given to her by Phillips " Is that not the scenario that Sections 23 and 24 of the Offences Against The Person Act 1861 are intended to cover? Stick him in front of a jury. Under Blunkett Law the jury will know what this "person" is doing time for. Give it a go CPS![/p][/quote]The jury would only be told about previous convictions if they are for a similar offence. userds5050
  • Score: 3

11:53am Thu 7 Aug 14

userds5050 says...

sotonbusdriver wrote:
S!monOn wrote:
sotonbusdriver wrote:
Heidisimms wrote:
Just remember whatever your thoughts/feeling are towards my sister..............




.... there is a little girl who will read these comments in years to come. This little girl needs Protecting from such negativity about her mother. Please spare a thought before writing . Thank you.
It is sad news that any family looses a senior member like a mother, and them knowing all the sordid details isn't really good for the children of this mother.....
But it has to be said, that legal highs are so wide and vast that to legalize and remove them all from sale wouldn't be realistic....
When I was a teenager the legal high of those days was to sniff glue and petrol.... Neither are illegal under the proper use, but they all offer extreme highs if inhaled... Because we use them correctly they are fine, but for a small minority of people that wish to inhale the fumes, which can lead ultimately to DEATH... Should we remove them from sale????
Legal highs, are often designed for a reason and fit purpose, for some to use them in an unsafe manner, doesn't mean they should be taken off sale....
People who want to get a BUZZ, to cope with life, will find new and ingenious ways to achieve that...
We need to deal with the problem, MENTAL HEALTH.... Something that is the real and deep reason that people seek to use drugs and substances in an unsafe manner....
Unfortunately this Government like past ones, do not promote and finance these hidden illness's as they have to admit they exist and that opens a full range of benefits payout....
We need to stop hiding mental health under the carpet and deal with the underlying causes, not the end results that occur
How do users of legal highs know when is the limit? The limit before it becomes unsafe for them? I assume, by the time they know.... it's too late.

There are plenty of other ways to get a "buzz" or to "cope with life", and personally, taking drugs (legal or not) isn't one of them.
I am not promoting the use of drugs at all.....
My point is that a lot of the so called "Legal Highs" are in fact items that are used for other purposes, such as air-fresheners, aerosols, etc...
When they are used for the purpose they are made they are fine and do a job that they were made for.... Because someone buys and uses theses substances for any reason or way that is not part of the manufacturers instructions then that is not within the control of LAW....
Should we ban something because people use it in the wrong manner, when it's sue is clearly stated...
Most of those LEGAL HIGHS, in fact have proper uses and are made for that purpose,,, but people will always find a way to make something do a job it was not made for....
You cannot stop everything that users, use for legal highs, otherwise we would have no BLEACH, PETROLEUM, AIR FRESHENERS, ETC.... Meaning many people suffer from not being about to do with them what they were made for.....
It is more important we open up the issues of mental health and deal with the reason that they take these legal highs, as removing legal highs will only lead to them finding new and more dangerous substances, also all the poor people that use BLEACH, AIR FRESHENERS, ETC will not be able to make their homes smell nice or keep them clean....
"Most of those LEGAL HIGHS, in fact have proper uses and are made for that purpose"
Totally rubbish. The chemical structure of mephedrone is virtually the same as ecstasy.
[quote][p][bold]sotonbusdriver[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]S!monOn[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sotonbusdriver[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Heidisimms[/bold] wrote: Just remember whatever your thoughts/feeling are towards my sister.............. .... there is a little girl who will read these comments in years to come. This little girl needs Protecting from such negativity about her mother. Please spare a thought before writing . Thank you.[/p][/quote]It is sad news that any family looses a senior member like a mother, and them knowing all the sordid details isn't really good for the children of this mother..... But it has to be said, that legal highs are so wide and vast that to legalize and remove them all from sale wouldn't be realistic.... When I was a teenager the legal high of those days was to sniff glue and petrol.... Neither are illegal under the proper use, but they all offer extreme highs if inhaled... Because we use them correctly they are fine, but for a small minority of people that wish to inhale the fumes, which can lead ultimately to DEATH... Should we remove them from sale???? Legal highs, are often designed for a reason and fit purpose, for some to use them in an unsafe manner, doesn't mean they should be taken off sale.... People who want to get a BUZZ, to cope with life, will find new and ingenious ways to achieve that... We need to deal with the problem, MENTAL HEALTH.... Something that is the real and deep reason that people seek to use drugs and substances in an unsafe manner.... Unfortunately this Government like past ones, do not promote and finance these hidden illness's as they have to admit they exist and that opens a full range of benefits payout.... We need to stop hiding mental health under the carpet and deal with the underlying causes, not the end results that occur[/p][/quote]How do users of legal highs know when is the limit? The limit before it becomes unsafe for them? I assume, by the time they know.... it's too late. There are plenty of other ways to get a "buzz" or to "cope with life", and personally, taking drugs (legal or not) isn't one of them.[/p][/quote]I am not promoting the use of drugs at all..... My point is that a lot of the so called "Legal Highs" are in fact items that are used for other purposes, such as air-fresheners, aerosols, etc... When they are used for the purpose they are made they are fine and do a job that they were made for.... Because someone buys and uses theses substances for any reason or way that is not part of the manufacturers instructions then that is not within the control of LAW.... Should we ban something because people use it in the wrong manner, when it's sue is clearly stated... Most of those LEGAL HIGHS, in fact have proper uses and are made for that purpose,,, but people will always find a way to make something do a job it was not made for.... You cannot stop everything that users, use for legal highs, otherwise we would have no BLEACH, PETROLEUM, AIR FRESHENERS, ETC.... Meaning many people suffer from not being about to do with them what they were made for..... It is more important we open up the issues of mental health and deal with the reason that they take these legal highs, as removing legal highs will only lead to them finding new and more dangerous substances, also all the poor people that use BLEACH, AIR FRESHENERS, ETC will not be able to make their homes smell nice or keep them clean....[/p][/quote]"Most of those LEGAL HIGHS, in fact have proper uses and are made for that purpose" Totally rubbish. The chemical structure of mephedrone is virtually the same as ecstasy. userds5050
  • Score: 2

11:57am Thu 7 Aug 14

rich the stitch says...

sotonbusdriver wrote:
S!monOn wrote:
sotonbusdriver wrote:
Heidisimms wrote:
Just remember whatever your thoughts/feeling are towards my sister..............




.... there is a little girl who will read these comments in years to come. This little girl needs Protecting from such negativity about her mother. Please spare a thought before writing . Thank you.
It is sad news that any family looses a senior member like a mother, and them knowing all the sordid details isn't really good for the children of this mother.....
But it has to be said, that legal highs are so wide and vast that to legalize and remove them all from sale wouldn't be realistic....
When I was a teenager the legal high of those days was to sniff glue and petrol.... Neither are illegal under the proper use, but they all offer extreme highs if inhaled... Because we use them correctly they are fine, but for a small minority of people that wish to inhale the fumes, which can lead ultimately to DEATH... Should we remove them from sale????
Legal highs, are often designed for a reason and fit purpose, for some to use them in an unsafe manner, doesn't mean they should be taken off sale....
People who want to get a BUZZ, to cope with life, will find new and ingenious ways to achieve that...
We need to deal with the problem, MENTAL HEALTH.... Something that is the real and deep reason that people seek to use drugs and substances in an unsafe manner....
Unfortunately this Government like past ones, do not promote and finance these hidden illness's as they have to admit they exist and that opens a full range of benefits payout....
We need to stop hiding mental health under the carpet and deal with the underlying causes, not the end results that occur
How do users of legal highs know when is the limit? The limit before it becomes unsafe for them? I assume, by the time they know.... it's too late.

There are plenty of other ways to get a "buzz" or to "cope with life", and personally, taking drugs (legal or not) isn't one of them.
I am not promoting the use of drugs at all.....
My point is that a lot of the so called "Legal Highs" are in fact items that are used for other purposes, such as air-fresheners, aerosols, etc...
When they are used for the purpose they are made they are fine and do a job that they were made for.... Because someone buys and uses theses substances for any reason or way that is not part of the manufacturers instructions then that is not within the control of LAW....
Should we ban something because people use it in the wrong manner, when it's sue is clearly stated...
Most of those LEGAL HIGHS, in fact have proper uses and are made for that purpose,,, but people will always find a way to make something do a job it was not made for....
You cannot stop everything that users, use for legal highs, otherwise we would have no BLEACH, PETROLEUM, AIR FRESHENERS, ETC.... Meaning many people suffer from not being about to do with them what they were made for.....
It is more important we open up the issues of mental health and deal with the reason that they take these legal highs, as removing legal highs will only lead to them finding new and more dangerous substances, also all the poor people that use BLEACH, AIR FRESHENERS, ETC will not be able to make their homes smell nice or keep them clean....
I think you'll find you are wrong. Legal Highs are manufactured for exactly that. They are called bath salts/ plant food etc and labled 'not for human consumption' to get around the law. I wonder how many people have used legal highs as bath salts/ plant etc.....none. I've not seen Benzo Fury on sale in many garden centers.
[quote][p][bold]sotonbusdriver[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]S!monOn[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sotonbusdriver[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Heidisimms[/bold] wrote: Just remember whatever your thoughts/feeling are towards my sister.............. .... there is a little girl who will read these comments in years to come. This little girl needs Protecting from such negativity about her mother. Please spare a thought before writing . Thank you.[/p][/quote]It is sad news that any family looses a senior member like a mother, and them knowing all the sordid details isn't really good for the children of this mother..... But it has to be said, that legal highs are so wide and vast that to legalize and remove them all from sale wouldn't be realistic.... When I was a teenager the legal high of those days was to sniff glue and petrol.... Neither are illegal under the proper use, but they all offer extreme highs if inhaled... Because we use them correctly they are fine, but for a small minority of people that wish to inhale the fumes, which can lead ultimately to DEATH... Should we remove them from sale???? Legal highs, are often designed for a reason and fit purpose, for some to use them in an unsafe manner, doesn't mean they should be taken off sale.... People who want to get a BUZZ, to cope with life, will find new and ingenious ways to achieve that... We need to deal with the problem, MENTAL HEALTH.... Something that is the real and deep reason that people seek to use drugs and substances in an unsafe manner.... Unfortunately this Government like past ones, do not promote and finance these hidden illness's as they have to admit they exist and that opens a full range of benefits payout.... We need to stop hiding mental health under the carpet and deal with the underlying causes, not the end results that occur[/p][/quote]How do users of legal highs know when is the limit? The limit before it becomes unsafe for them? I assume, by the time they know.... it's too late. There are plenty of other ways to get a "buzz" or to "cope with life", and personally, taking drugs (legal or not) isn't one of them.[/p][/quote]I am not promoting the use of drugs at all..... My point is that a lot of the so called "Legal Highs" are in fact items that are used for other purposes, such as air-fresheners, aerosols, etc... When they are used for the purpose they are made they are fine and do a job that they were made for.... Because someone buys and uses theses substances for any reason or way that is not part of the manufacturers instructions then that is not within the control of LAW.... Should we ban something because people use it in the wrong manner, when it's sue is clearly stated... Most of those LEGAL HIGHS, in fact have proper uses and are made for that purpose,,, but people will always find a way to make something do a job it was not made for.... You cannot stop everything that users, use for legal highs, otherwise we would have no BLEACH, PETROLEUM, AIR FRESHENERS, ETC.... Meaning many people suffer from not being about to do with them what they were made for..... It is more important we open up the issues of mental health and deal with the reason that they take these legal highs, as removing legal highs will only lead to them finding new and more dangerous substances, also all the poor people that use BLEACH, AIR FRESHENERS, ETC will not be able to make their homes smell nice or keep them clean....[/p][/quote]I think you'll find you are wrong. Legal Highs are manufactured for exactly that. They are called bath salts/ plant food etc and labled 'not for human consumption' to get around the law. I wonder how many people have used legal highs as bath salts/ plant etc.....none. I've not seen Benzo Fury on sale in many garden centers. rich the stitch
  • Score: 2

12:33pm Thu 7 Aug 14

saintsfan76 says...

There were a few comments re her piercings yesterday on here....so the Ech has changed her picture. Now all we can see is arm covered every inch in tattoos. Maybe you should have sttayed with the original one.
There were a few comments re her piercings yesterday on here....so the Ech has changed her picture. Now all we can see is arm covered every inch in tattoos. Maybe you should have sttayed with the original one. saintsfan76
  • Score: -1

1:22pm Thu 7 Aug 14

KayleighJade says...

Nobody FORCED her to take drugs, she did so because she wanted to.

Yeah the guy is a scumbag for offering it to her

But what does that make her for accepting it time and time again?

No sympathy for her, only for her boyfriend and little girl.
Nobody FORCED her to take drugs, she did so because she wanted to. Yeah the guy is a scumbag for offering it to her But what does that make her for accepting it time and time again? No sympathy for her, only for her boyfriend and little girl. KayleighJade
  • Score: 1

1:54pm Thu 7 Aug 14

needtoknow85 says...

Not one of you knew Lucy.
She was a good mom, her daughter was her world.
She had had a really rough time in the months leading up to her death , and that scum bag Lloyd took advantage of her vulnerable mental state by offering her money and a easy way out.
Yes she made a huge **** mistake, but don't question her parenting skills.
And as for you arseholes who think everyone with body mods is delirious.
Go screw yourself.
I'm heavily modified, have a caree, don't drink , don't do drugs... I mean come on!! You trying to say everyone with mods will make the same mistakes as Lucy, and become a menace to society? or people without are saints... Tell that to the Wests, Denis nilsen, Ian Huntley....morons
Not one of you knew Lucy. She was a good mom, her daughter was her world. She had had a really rough time in the months leading up to her death , and that scum bag Lloyd took advantage of her vulnerable mental state by offering her money and a easy way out. Yes she made a huge **** mistake, but don't question her parenting skills. And as for you arseholes who think everyone with body mods is delirious. Go screw yourself. I'm heavily modified, have a caree, don't drink , don't do drugs... I mean come on!! You trying to say everyone with mods will make the same mistakes as Lucy, and become a menace to society? or people without are saints... Tell that to the Wests, Denis nilsen, Ian Huntley....morons needtoknow85
  • Score: -2

2:14pm Thu 7 Aug 14

sarah854 says...

KayleighJade wrote:
Nobody FORCED her to take drugs, she did so because she wanted to.

Yeah the guy is a scumbag for offering it to her

But what does that make her for accepting it time and time again?

No sympathy for her, only for her boyfriend and little girl.
Wow again you are commenting on something you know nothing about. Geez why not put your pathetic time into doing something constructive other than making nasty comments on a situation you know nothing about. I'm not bothered if you 'genuinely' don't care about my opinion but guess what you pathetic person if you have the time to rant about someone who has passed away not caring about their loved ones who see this or the poor child who might read all this in the future.... Well what kind of person does that make you???? Lucy had a lot to deal with in her life, more than others so just leave your cruel pathetic comments out and **** off!!!
[quote][p][bold]KayleighJade[/bold] wrote: Nobody FORCED her to take drugs, she did so because she wanted to. Yeah the guy is a scumbag for offering it to her But what does that make her for accepting it time and time again? No sympathy for her, only for her boyfriend and little girl.[/p][/quote]Wow again you are commenting on something you know nothing about. Geez why not put your pathetic time into doing something constructive other than making nasty comments on a situation you know nothing about. I'm not bothered if you 'genuinely' don't care about my opinion but guess what you pathetic person if you have the time to rant about someone who has passed away not caring about their loved ones who see this or the poor child who might read all this in the future.... Well what kind of person does that make you???? Lucy had a lot to deal with in her life, more than others so just leave your cruel pathetic comments out and **** off!!! sarah854
  • Score: -1

2:18pm Thu 7 Aug 14

S!monOn says...

needtoknow85 wrote:
Not one of you knew Lucy.
She was a good mom, her daughter was her world.
She had had a really rough time in the months leading up to her death , and that scum bag Lloyd took advantage of her vulnerable mental state by offering her money and a easy way out.
Yes she made a huge **** mistake, but don't question her parenting skills.
And as for you arseholes who think everyone with body mods is delirious.
Go screw yourself.
I'm heavily modified, have a caree, don't drink , don't do drugs... I mean come on!! You trying to say everyone with mods will make the same mistakes as Lucy, and become a menace to society? or people without are saints... Tell that to the Wests, Denis nilsen, Ian Huntley....morons
Her daughter may have meant the world to her, I don't question that.

But, let's be honest here, was she a good mom? If her daughter meant that much to her, she'd distance herself from drugs and people like Phillips.

Sorry, if this upsets you.
[quote][p][bold]needtoknow85[/bold] wrote: Not one of you knew Lucy. She was a good mom, her daughter was her world. She had had a really rough time in the months leading up to her death , and that scum bag Lloyd took advantage of her vulnerable mental state by offering her money and a easy way out. Yes she made a huge **** mistake, but don't question her parenting skills. And as for you arseholes who think everyone with body mods is delirious. Go screw yourself. I'm heavily modified, have a caree, don't drink , don't do drugs... I mean come on!! You trying to say everyone with mods will make the same mistakes as Lucy, and become a menace to society? or people without are saints... Tell that to the Wests, Denis nilsen, Ian Huntley....morons[/p][/quote]Her daughter may have meant the world to her, I don't question that. But, let's be honest here, was she a good mom? If her daughter meant that much to her, she'd distance herself from drugs and people like Phillips. Sorry, if this upsets you. S!monOn
  • Score: 3

3:31pm Thu 7 Aug 14

rudolph_hucker says...

Her kid will be more upset to read the drug dairy her mum kept rather than a few comments on here
Her kid will be more upset to read the drug dairy her mum kept rather than a few comments on here rudolph_hucker
  • Score: 5

6:10pm Thu 7 Aug 14

sarah854 says...

rudolph_hucker wrote:
Her kid will be more upset to read the drug dairy her mum kept rather than a few comments on here
Yeah good one!! Like she will get to see that, I'm shocked at how many idiots on here don't use their brain before opening their mouths, do you really think her child will be given or shown that??? Oops no of course you didn't, why can't people just get a life of there own instead of trolling on here & leaving nasty comments. Your comments are only hurting the loved ones Lucy left behind so have some respect. U people have Nothing better to do than **** about everything. How sad!!!!
[quote][p][bold]rudolph_hucker[/bold] wrote: Her kid will be more upset to read the drug dairy her mum kept rather than a few comments on here[/p][/quote]Yeah good one!! Like she will get to see that, I'm shocked at how many idiots on here don't use their brain before opening their mouths, do you really think her child will be given or shown that??? Oops no of course you didn't, why can't people just get a life of there own instead of trolling on here & leaving nasty comments. Your comments are only hurting the loved ones Lucy left behind so have some respect. U people have Nothing better to do than **** about everything. How sad!!!! sarah854
  • Score: -1

6:32pm Thu 7 Aug 14

needtoknow85 says...

Yeah she was a **** fantastic mum, Lloyd was a manipulative man who had alot of money, he promised Lucy financial security for her daughter.
Unless you knew her shut your traps!
Yeah she was a **** fantastic mum, Lloyd was a manipulative man who had alot of money, he promised Lucy financial security for her daughter. Unless you knew her shut your traps! needtoknow85
  • Score: -3

12:00pm Sat 9 Aug 14

Heidisimms says...

S!monOn wrote:
needtoknow85 wrote:
Not one of you knew Lucy.
She was a good mom, her daughter was her world.
She had had a really rough time in the months leading up to her death , and that scum bag Lloyd took advantage of her vulnerable mental state by offering her money and a easy way out.
Yes she made a huge **** mistake, but don't question her parenting skills.
And as for you arseholes who think everyone with body mods is delirious.
Go screw yourself.
I'm heavily modified, have a caree, don't drink , don't do drugs... I mean come on!! You trying to say everyone with mods will make the same mistakes as Lucy, and become a menace to society? or people without are saints... Tell that to the Wests, Denis nilsen, Ian Huntley....morons
Her daughter may have meant the world to her, I don't question that.

But, let's be honest here, was she a good mom? If her daughter meant that much to her, she'd distance herself from drugs and people like Phillips.

Sorry, if this upsets you.
Think you will find it was MANSLAUGHTER . We know the truth. We need to prove it! Don't believe everything you read unless you are of course shallow minded!
[quote][p][bold]S!monOn[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]needtoknow85[/bold] wrote: Not one of you knew Lucy. She was a good mom, her daughter was her world. She had had a really rough time in the months leading up to her death , and that scum bag Lloyd took advantage of her vulnerable mental state by offering her money and a easy way out. Yes she made a huge **** mistake, but don't question her parenting skills. And as for you arseholes who think everyone with body mods is delirious. Go screw yourself. I'm heavily modified, have a caree, don't drink , don't do drugs... I mean come on!! You trying to say everyone with mods will make the same mistakes as Lucy, and become a menace to society? or people without are saints... Tell that to the Wests, Denis nilsen, Ian Huntley....morons[/p][/quote]Her daughter may have meant the world to her, I don't question that. But, let's be honest here, was she a good mom? If her daughter meant that much to her, she'd distance herself from drugs and people like Phillips. Sorry, if this upsets you.[/p][/quote]Think you will find it was MANSLAUGHTER . We know the truth. We need to prove it! Don't believe everything you read unless you are of course shallow minded! Heidisimms
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree