A HAMPSHIRE couple have thanked quick-thinking neighbours and firefighters for rescuing their three kittens and three lizards from their blazing home.
Brendan Jones and Lauren Hackett were out when their one-bedroom terraced house in Cygnus Gardens, Dibden, caught fire.
However, a quick-thinking neighbour spotted smoke and dialled 999 and firefighters managed to stop the blaze spreading from the lounge.
Crews from Hardley, Hythe and Beaulieu rescued three scared kittens from the bedroom along with three bearded dragon lizards from the lounge, although one later died.
It is understood the fire was caused by a faulty heat lamp in the lizards’ tank.
Brendan, who works as a self-employed gardener, spoke to the Daily Echo as he was inspecting his smoke-damaged home.
The couple, who only moved into the house six months ago, are now facing the task of replacing about £1,000 worth of ruined property including their sofa, carpet and front door.
The 22-year-old said: “The fire service were very good and our neighbours have been really good to us. Their actions have helped save our home.
“We want to say thank you to the fire brigade for being there, they were really quick and very professional. We also want to say thank you to our neighbours and would like to buy them a drink for their help.”
Lauren, 17, said she had a huge smile of relief when she found that all three six-month-old kittens – Oscar, Angel and George – were safe.
She added: “I feel so relieved that my cats were OK. I am happy there was not much damage. It could have been a lot worse.”
Brendan and Lauren had only had the lizards for a day and had not yet named them.
The couple are hoping to move back to the house in the next few weeks after it has been re-decorated.