BoomTown Festival expansion plans opposed by residents

Festival expansion plans opposed by residents

Festival expansion plans opposed by residents

First published in News
Last updated
Daily Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter

A VILLAGE chief has said ‘no thanks’ to the expansion of a Hampshire music festival where a woman died at the weekend.

An estimated 38,000 revellers attend BoomTown Fair near Winchester at the weekend, and it is set to grow to 50,000 by 2016.

The plan is yet to receive official city council approval, but Penny Flemons, chairman of Itchen Valley Parish Council, said she is not keen to see that happen.

‘Noisy’ “The management of the event is improving generally, but we don’t want to see the event getting bigger year on year,” she said.

“People I’ve spoken to in the Itchen Valley have said that it was very noisy, particularly on Saturday, but that is just for a couple of days so we should live and let live.”

A hotline was set up for local residents to register complaints, and police are due to release details on the number of arrests and incidents today.

The identity has yet to be released of a 31-year-old woman who was found slumped in a toilet and later died at Royal Hampshire County Hospital.

A post mortem was due to be carried out yesterday (MON). Her death is not being treated as suspicious.

A Winchester City Council spokesman said: “Our thoughts are with the family and friends of the young woman who died. The city council will wait for reports about the circumstances from the police and the organisers which will be considered as part of the review of this year’s event.

“It is important that people do not jump to conclusions – we must wait for official reports to understand what happened.”

He added: “It is too soon to say about any complaints that may be sent to the council following the event.”

Yesterday the A272 and A31 were both jammed with traffic as the festival finished, with traffic reduced to one lane between the Alresford and Percy Hobbs roundabouts.

Comments (11)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:39am Tue 12 Aug 14

country bird says...

What is wrong with the event organisers?
Local people do not want Boomtown to get bigger and let in more people.
There isnt enough space and people to monitor the event as it is now and the place is riddled with drunks and druggies that at some point get in their cars or spill out onto the streets eventually.
What is wrong with the event organisers? Local people do not want Boomtown to get bigger and let in more people. There isnt enough space and people to monitor the event as it is now and the place is riddled with drunks and druggies that at some point get in their cars or spill out onto the streets eventually. country bird
  • Score: 3

8:31am Tue 12 Aug 14

sid the snake says...

Village Chief?
Village Chief? sid the snake
  • Score: 7

8:52am Tue 12 Aug 14

elvisimo says...

country bird wrote:
What is wrong with the event organisers?
Local people do not want Boomtown to get bigger and let in more people.
There isnt enough space and people to monitor the event as it is now and the place is riddled with drunks and druggies that at some point get in their cars or spill out onto the streets eventually.
Local people don't want anything anywhere ever- all part of the Winchester ethos
[quote][p][bold]country bird[/bold] wrote: What is wrong with the event organisers? Local people do not want Boomtown to get bigger and let in more people. There isnt enough space and people to monitor the event as it is now and the place is riddled with drunks and druggies that at some point get in their cars or spill out onto the streets eventually.[/p][/quote]Local people don't want anything anywhere ever- all part of the Winchester ethos elvisimo
  • Score: 22

9:04am Tue 12 Aug 14

dibsy1984 says...

There was also an event at Vicarage Farm which went on until 1am
This must have added to the noise
There was also an event at Vicarage Farm which went on until 1am This must have added to the noise dibsy1984
  • Score: 3

9:37am Tue 12 Aug 14

Shoong says...

elvisimo wrote:
country bird wrote:
What is wrong with the event organisers?
Local people do not want Boomtown to get bigger and let in more people.
There isnt enough space and people to monitor the event as it is now and the place is riddled with drunks and druggies that at some point get in their cars or spill out onto the streets eventually.
Local people don't want anything anywhere ever- all part of the Winchester ethos
Do you live near by then?

Boomtown is a good thing for Winchester and I think you'll find it has been embraced by the majority of residents, most of which are reasonable people.

But Boomtown doesn't need to be any bigger and considering the average fatal casualty rate is one per event.
[quote][p][bold]elvisimo[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]country bird[/bold] wrote: What is wrong with the event organisers? Local people do not want Boomtown to get bigger and let in more people. There isnt enough space and people to monitor the event as it is now and the place is riddled with drunks and druggies that at some point get in their cars or spill out onto the streets eventually.[/p][/quote]Local people don't want anything anywhere ever- all part of the Winchester ethos[/p][/quote]Do you live near by then? Boomtown is a good thing for Winchester and I think you'll find it has been embraced by the majority of residents, most of which are reasonable people. But Boomtown doesn't need to be any bigger and considering the average fatal casualty rate is one per event. Shoong
  • Score: -9

9:51am Tue 12 Aug 14

City Saint says...

Bit grim at Winchester train station at 6pm yesterday -- some 20-30 year olds stoned off their heads and looking pretty ropey hanging out at the coffee shop on platform two. We don't see that kind of thing often in Winchester, lol.
Bit grim at Winchester train station at 6pm yesterday -- some 20-30 year olds stoned off their heads and looking pretty ropey hanging out at the coffee shop on platform two. We don't see that kind of thing often in Winchester, lol. City Saint
  • Score: -2

10:32am Tue 12 Aug 14

joiner123 says...

sid the snake wrote:
Village Chief?
Yeah, did you not know the great mohawk tribe settled in the area after being booted out of America?
[quote][p][bold]sid the snake[/bold] wrote: Village Chief?[/p][/quote]Yeah, did you not know the great mohawk tribe settled in the area after being booted out of America? joiner123
  • Score: 2

2:18pm Tue 12 Aug 14

The Music Man says...

City Saint wrote:
Bit grim at Winchester train station at 6pm yesterday -- some 20-30 year olds stoned off their heads and looking pretty ropey hanging out at the coffee shop on platform two. We don't see that kind of thing often in Winchester, lol.
Maybe they were just tired, having enjoyed themselves all weekend. And I bet they were spending money.
[quote][p][bold]City Saint[/bold] wrote: Bit grim at Winchester train station at 6pm yesterday -- some 20-30 year olds stoned off their heads and looking pretty ropey hanging out at the coffee shop on platform two. We don't see that kind of thing often in Winchester, lol.[/p][/quote]Maybe they were just tired, having enjoyed themselves all weekend. And I bet they were spending money. The Music Man
  • Score: 1

3:24pm Tue 12 Aug 14

elvisimo says...

Shoong wrote:
elvisimo wrote:
country bird wrote:
What is wrong with the event organisers?
Local people do not want Boomtown to get bigger and let in more people.
There isnt enough space and people to monitor the event as it is now and the place is riddled with drunks and druggies that at some point get in their cars or spill out onto the streets eventually.
Local people don't want anything anywhere ever- all part of the Winchester ethos
Do you live near by then?

Boomtown is a good thing for Winchester and I think you'll find it has been embraced by the majority of residents, most of which are reasonable people.

But Boomtown doesn't need to be any bigger and considering the average fatal casualty rate is one per event.
Glasto 160,000 - still a way to go.....

Winchester resident don't like new houses, don't like any retail developments, don't like new hotels, don't like anything open past 7.00pm, don't like that guy from river cottage, don't like windmills, don't like any for of noise pollution no matter how incidental.

They seem to think they have the right to live in some time warp hermetically sealed bubble.
[quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]elvisimo[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]country bird[/bold] wrote: What is wrong with the event organisers? Local people do not want Boomtown to get bigger and let in more people. There isnt enough space and people to monitor the event as it is now and the place is riddled with drunks and druggies that at some point get in their cars or spill out onto the streets eventually.[/p][/quote]Local people don't want anything anywhere ever- all part of the Winchester ethos[/p][/quote]Do you live near by then? Boomtown is a good thing for Winchester and I think you'll find it has been embraced by the majority of residents, most of which are reasonable people. But Boomtown doesn't need to be any bigger and considering the average fatal casualty rate is one per event.[/p][/quote]Glasto 160,000 - still a way to go..... Winchester resident don't like new houses, don't like any retail developments, don't like new hotels, don't like anything open past 7.00pm, don't like that guy from river cottage, don't like windmills, don't like any for of noise pollution no matter how incidental. They seem to think they have the right to live in some time warp hermetically sealed bubble. elvisimo
  • Score: 2

5:26pm Tue 12 Aug 14

City Saint says...

The Music Man wrote:
City Saint wrote:
Bit grim at Winchester train station at 6pm yesterday -- some 20-30 year olds stoned off their heads and looking pretty ropey hanging out at the coffee shop on platform two. We don't see that kind of thing often in Winchester, lol.
Maybe they were just tired, having enjoyed themselves all weekend. And I bet they were spending money.
Yeah, they were spending money, but not on anything that contributes to the local or national economy.
[quote][p][bold]The Music Man[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]City Saint[/bold] wrote: Bit grim at Winchester train station at 6pm yesterday -- some 20-30 year olds stoned off their heads and looking pretty ropey hanging out at the coffee shop on platform two. We don't see that kind of thing often in Winchester, lol.[/p][/quote]Maybe they were just tired, having enjoyed themselves all weekend. And I bet they were spending money.[/p][/quote]Yeah, they were spending money, but not on anything that contributes to the local or national economy. City Saint
  • Score: 0

1:46am Wed 13 Aug 14

daisy.talks says...

Seems I'm the only one that had a problem with the amount of drugs at the festival, I know this wasn't anything to do with the ladys death. The Boomtown website had a STRICT no drugs policy, go and read it yourself, no one was searched, The sniffer dogs were exhausted and confused. I was offered all sorts over the weekend and declined. The security staff (who were useless) were reputed to be dealing too. Personally, out of respect, there shouldn't be a festival next year full stop, the land owners have no morals to allow this to happen. I felt guilty being driven through Winchester on the bus from the station, it's such a pretty town and I bet it was full of bodies on come-downs just laying around and quite intimidating for the locals. WINCHESTER RESIDENTS HAVE YOUR SAY AND BE HEARD!!! don't be pushed around by somebody with a lot of money who are providing 'fun' for the great unwashed. You expect a festival who are SO strict on drugs to be a 'clean' festival.... not the case.
Seems I'm the only one that had a problem with the amount of drugs at the festival, I know this wasn't anything to do with the ladys death. The Boomtown website had a STRICT no drugs policy, go and read it yourself, no one was searched, The sniffer dogs were exhausted and confused. I was offered all sorts over the weekend and declined. The security staff (who were useless) were reputed to be dealing too. Personally, out of respect, there shouldn't be a festival next year full stop, the land owners have no morals to allow this to happen. I felt guilty being driven through Winchester on the bus from the station, it's such a pretty town and I bet it was full of bodies on come-downs just laying around and quite intimidating for the locals. WINCHESTER RESIDENTS HAVE YOUR SAY AND BE HEARD!!! don't be pushed around by somebody with a lot of money who are providing 'fun' for the great unwashed. You expect a festival who are SO strict on drugs to be a 'clean' festival.... not the case. daisy.talks
  • Score: -2

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree