Southampton City Council votes to shut The Griffin Inn pub in Shirley

Pub shut down after catalogue of trouble

Pub shut down after catalogue of trouble

First published in News
Last updated
Daily Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Political reporter

LICENSING bosses have today decided to shut down a Hampshire pub after a catalogue of incidents over the past four years.

City councillors this afternoon agreed to revoke the licence of the Griffin Inn in Shirley after police highlighted 62 incidents since 2010.

It is the second pub to be closed down in the city in two weeks, after licensing chiefs decided to revoke the licence of The Dorchester last week.

Police had put together a damning dossier of incidents that had been reported at the Anglesea Road watering hole since Mr Cheevers took over in 2010.

It included a report about a fight with baseball bats outside the pub, a number of brawls both inside and outside the pub and staff serving customers after the closing time of 12.30am.

The committee also heard from residents who complained that they had put up with loud noise from people coming out of the pub until 5am on some occasions, and that customers had urinated on their porches.

Police were also concerned that the pub did not have an adequate CCTV system, saying Mr Cheevers had not handed over footage to help officers with investigations, even when he was the victim.

Addressing the hearing, Mr Cheevers said he had arranged a series of measures to improve the pub, which included buying a new CCTV system and naming another member of staff as the designated premises supervisor (DPS).

The landlord, who recently negotiated a five-year lease extension with pub owners Enterprise Inns, also said he has a new incident and refusals log in place, staff had been given more training and was even handing out gobstopper lollipops to “calm down” customers.

But the committee decided to revoke the licence, with chairman Matt Tucker saying the panel had “no confidence that the current premises licence holder can manage what is clearly based on the evidence a very difficult premises.”He continued: “Whilst it is accepted that on occasion examples of good management can be seen, this does not outweigh the evidence in relation to the incidents of concern.”

The pub will remain open for at least the next 21 days.

Comments (25)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:05pm Thu 14 Aug 14

Dasal says...

Why not try restricting the licensing hours first ??
Why not try restricting the licensing hours first ?? Dasal
  • Score: -6

4:10pm Thu 14 Aug 14

THEKILLER says...

So everyone moves on to the next pub, 3 or 4 with-in a few 100 yards
So everyone moves on to the next pub, 3 or 4 with-in a few 100 yards THEKILLER
  • Score: -1

4:16pm Thu 14 Aug 14

Big Mac says...

An application to convert if from a public house to a public convenience is now being considered.
A spokesperson said "Yes, we understand it's well known as a 5hithole' so we intend to sit down and explore potential improvements. We're certainly not just looking at a bog standard conversion."
An application to convert if from a public house to a public convenience is now being considered. A spokesperson said "Yes, we understand it's well known as a 5hithole' so we intend to sit down and explore potential improvements. We're certainly not just looking at a bog standard conversion." Big Mac
  • Score: 13

4:17pm Thu 14 Aug 14

leesa-kim says...

So pleased , i as a local resident could not be more happy , most other residents must be overjoyed at the news , i just hope none of them including colin gets to run another pub and ruin a pub that could have been so good in the right hands and make other peoples life a misery , good on the licensing commitee to see through the lies.
So pleased , i as a local resident could not be more happy , most other residents must be overjoyed at the news , i just hope none of them including colin gets to run another pub and ruin a pub that could have been so good in the right hands and make other peoples life a misery , good on the licensing commitee to see through the lies. leesa-kim
  • Score: 13

4:23pm Thu 14 Aug 14

leesa-kim says...

Yes the trouble makers etc may move to another pub but hopefully the managers and staff wont put up with them and ruin the pub for the good customers.
Yes the trouble makers etc may move to another pub but hopefully the managers and staff wont put up with them and ruin the pub for the good customers. leesa-kim
  • Score: 11

4:31pm Thu 14 Aug 14

sotonboy84 says...

THEKILLER wrote:
So everyone moves on to the next pub, 3 or 4 with-in a few 100 yards
But if they're run properly, unlike this one, there shouldn't be the problems that have resulted in the licence of the Griffin being revoked.
[quote][p][bold]THEKILLER[/bold] wrote: So everyone moves on to the next pub, 3 or 4 with-in a few 100 yards[/p][/quote]But if they're run properly, unlike this one, there shouldn't be the problems that have resulted in the licence of the Griffin being revoked. sotonboy84
  • Score: 7

4:44pm Thu 14 Aug 14

Peoples Choice says...

So what about your Yates etc in town where I will put my house on it they have more reported incidents. Oh wait... they want all the drinkers in town centres
So what about your Yates etc in town where I will put my house on it they have more reported incidents. Oh wait... they want all the drinkers in town centres Peoples Choice
  • Score: 4

5:01pm Thu 14 Aug 14

SNUGGLES 78 says...

Peoples Choice wrote:
So what about your Yates etc in town where I will put my house on it they have more reported incidents. Oh wait... they want all the drinkers in town centres
watch the birdie and smile for the cameras as you drink ,just shirleys turn now ,rest of the city is local pub free zone.
[quote][p][bold]Peoples Choice[/bold] wrote: So what about your Yates etc in town where I will put my house on it they have more reported incidents. Oh wait... they want all the drinkers in town centres[/p][/quote]watch the birdie and smile for the cameras as you drink ,just shirleys turn now ,rest of the city is local pub free zone. SNUGGLES 78
  • Score: -4

5:13pm Thu 14 Aug 14

MissSaint60 says...

Dasal wrote:
Why not try restricting the licensing hours first ??
Because they are obviously not competent enough to run a pub full stop. The licencing committee are there to ensure that these premises are run properly.....this one hasn't been for the last few years. There used to be another couple that ran it with him, they were lovely we used to go for dinner regularly when the blonde lady cooked. We stopped soon after they left as the standards dropped dramatically.
[quote][p][bold]Dasal[/bold] wrote: Why not try restricting the licensing hours first ??[/p][/quote]Because they are obviously not competent enough to run a pub full stop. The licencing committee are there to ensure that these premises are run properly.....this one hasn't been for the last few years. There used to be another couple that ran it with him, they were lovely we used to go for dinner regularly when the blonde lady cooked. We stopped soon after they left as the standards dropped dramatically. MissSaint60
  • Score: 9

6:15pm Thu 14 Aug 14

loosehead says...

I remember when Dick ran this pub & did meals in the lunch times & live music on Sunday nights so if a person can see a pub near to the property they're looking at why buy that property?
Every lively pub no matter how well managed is going to have noise at closing times.
As for the baseball bats wasn't this outside the pub? didn't the pub refuse entry?
We Have John Denham running a campaign to save pubs & this happens twice in this city?
Why didn't they insist on Enterprise Inns sending in a management team to get it into order if indeed it's out of order?
So another shop? The Woodman was a decent pub next to two big estates now what is it?
Well Shirley Hotel get ready for the punters.
I remember when Dick ran this pub & did meals in the lunch times & live music on Sunday nights so if a person can see a pub near to the property they're looking at why buy that property? Every lively pub no matter how well managed is going to have noise at closing times. As for the baseball bats wasn't this outside the pub? didn't the pub refuse entry? We Have John Denham running a campaign to save pubs & this happens twice in this city? Why didn't they insist on Enterprise Inns sending in a management team to get it into order if indeed it's out of order? So another shop? The Woodman was a decent pub next to two big estates now what is it? Well Shirley Hotel get ready for the punters. loosehead
  • Score: -1

6:17pm Thu 14 Aug 14

loosehead says...

MissSaint60 wrote:
Dasal wrote:
Why not try restricting the licensing hours first ??
Because they are obviously not competent enough to run a pub full stop. The licencing committee are there to ensure that these premises are run properly.....this one hasn't been for the last few years. There used to be another couple that ran it with him, they were lovely we used to go for dinner regularly when the blonde lady cooked. We stopped soon after they left as the standards dropped dramatically.
so why not cantact Enterprise Inns & ask tell them?
Are you saying as I have with the right Landlords this is a decent pub?
So you don't think it should shut for good?
[quote][p][bold]MissSaint60[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Dasal[/bold] wrote: Why not try restricting the licensing hours first ??[/p][/quote]Because they are obviously not competent enough to run a pub full stop. The licencing committee are there to ensure that these premises are run properly.....this one hasn't been for the last few years. There used to be another couple that ran it with him, they were lovely we used to go for dinner regularly when the blonde lady cooked. We stopped soon after they left as the standards dropped dramatically.[/p][/quote]so why not cantact Enterprise Inns & ask tell them? Are you saying as I have with the right Landlords this is a decent pub? So you don't think it should shut for good? loosehead
  • Score: -2

7:03pm Thu 14 Aug 14

cowley says...

Lolz lolz lolz lolz lolz lolz
Lolz lolz lolz lolz lolz lolz cowley
  • Score: 0

7:35pm Thu 14 Aug 14

Donald2000 says...

What a shame they are not all shut down. Then perhaps we can start restoring our city from being the ar$ehole of the universe. With a little bit of luck.
What a shame they are not all shut down. Then perhaps we can start restoring our city from being the ar$ehole of the universe. With a little bit of luck. Donald2000
  • Score: -7

7:38pm Thu 14 Aug 14

Donald2000 says...

loosehead wrote:
I remember when Dick ran this pub & did meals in the lunch times & live music on Sunday nights so if a person can see a pub near to the property they're looking at why buy that property?
Every lively pub no matter how well managed is going to have noise at closing times.
As for the baseball bats wasn't this outside the pub? didn't the pub refuse entry?
We Have John Denham running a campaign to save pubs & this happens twice in this city?
Why didn't they insist on Enterprise Inns sending in a management team to get it into order if indeed it's out of order?
So another shop? The Woodman was a decent pub next to two big estates now what is it?
Well Shirley Hotel get ready for the punters.
Is it the job of a local MP to save local pubs? Is this the best John Denham can do as our MP?
[quote][p][bold]loosehead[/bold] wrote: I remember when Dick ran this pub & did meals in the lunch times & live music on Sunday nights so if a person can see a pub near to the property they're looking at why buy that property? Every lively pub no matter how well managed is going to have noise at closing times. As for the baseball bats wasn't this outside the pub? didn't the pub refuse entry? We Have John Denham running a campaign to save pubs & this happens twice in this city? Why didn't they insist on Enterprise Inns sending in a management team to get it into order if indeed it's out of order? So another shop? The Woodman was a decent pub next to two big estates now what is it? Well Shirley Hotel get ready for the punters.[/p][/quote]Is it the job of a local MP to save local pubs? Is this the best John Denham can do as our MP? Donald2000
  • Score: -3

8:10pm Thu 14 Aug 14

Sophie77 says...

Hang on the pub has kids in it it has elderly people in it and tbh how does that sound like a bad pub i think not.....im a customer and i think the place is great and very comfortable to drink in and the staff are always nice n friendly and very welcoming :)
Hang on the pub has kids in it it has elderly people in it and tbh how does that sound like a bad pub i think not.....im a customer and i think the place is great and very comfortable to drink in and the staff are always nice n friendly and very welcoming :) Sophie77
  • Score: -7

8:15pm Thu 14 Aug 14

ShellyBaldwin says...

MissSaint60 wrote:
Dasal wrote:
Why not try restricting the licensing hours first ??
Because they are obviously not competent enough to run a pub full stop. The licencing committee are there to ensure that these premises are run properly.....this one hasn't been for the last few years. There used to be another couple that ran it with him, they were lovely we used to go for dinner regularly when the blonde lady cooked. We stopped soon after they left as the standards dropped dramatically.
Yes there was a lovely blonde women who was always smiling. Since they've left it's gone down hill. The landlord now is a grumpy old sod and the place should be shut down. There wasn't any trouble when they used to run it...
[quote][p][bold]MissSaint60[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Dasal[/bold] wrote: Why not try restricting the licensing hours first ??[/p][/quote]Because they are obviously not competent enough to run a pub full stop. The licencing committee are there to ensure that these premises are run properly.....this one hasn't been for the last few years. There used to be another couple that ran it with him, they were lovely we used to go for dinner regularly when the blonde lady cooked. We stopped soon after they left as the standards dropped dramatically.[/p][/quote]Yes there was a lovely blonde women who was always smiling. Since they've left it's gone down hill. The landlord now is a grumpy old sod and the place should be shut down. There wasn't any trouble when they used to run it... ShellyBaldwin
  • Score: 9

8:53pm Thu 14 Aug 14

HillsidePaul says...

Donald2000 wrote:
loosehead wrote:
I remember when Dick ran this pub & did meals in the lunch times & live music on Sunday nights so if a person can see a pub near to the property they're looking at why buy that property?
Every lively pub no matter how well managed is going to have noise at closing times.
As for the baseball bats wasn't this outside the pub? didn't the pub refuse entry?
We Have John Denham running a campaign to save pubs & this happens twice in this city?
Why didn't they insist on Enterprise Inns sending in a management team to get it into order if indeed it's out of order?
So another shop? The Woodman was a decent pub next to two big estates now what is it?
Well Shirley Hotel get ready for the punters.
Is it the job of a local MP to save local pubs? Is this the best John Denham can do as our MP?
He's not your MP idiot. He represents Itchen.. A fact you could easily have found out if you could be bothered.
[quote][p][bold]Donald2000[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loosehead[/bold] wrote: I remember when Dick ran this pub & did meals in the lunch times & live music on Sunday nights so if a person can see a pub near to the property they're looking at why buy that property? Every lively pub no matter how well managed is going to have noise at closing times. As for the baseball bats wasn't this outside the pub? didn't the pub refuse entry? We Have John Denham running a campaign to save pubs & this happens twice in this city? Why didn't they insist on Enterprise Inns sending in a management team to get it into order if indeed it's out of order? So another shop? The Woodman was a decent pub next to two big estates now what is it? Well Shirley Hotel get ready for the punters.[/p][/quote]Is it the job of a local MP to save local pubs? Is this the best John Denham can do as our MP?[/p][/quote]He's not your MP idiot. He represents Itchen.. A fact you could easily have found out if you could be bothered. HillsidePaul
  • Score: 6

8:56pm Thu 14 Aug 14

Donald2000 says...

HillsidePaul wrote:
Donald2000 wrote:
loosehead wrote:
I remember when Dick ran this pub & did meals in the lunch times & live music on Sunday nights so if a person can see a pub near to the property they're looking at why buy that property?
Every lively pub no matter how well managed is going to have noise at closing times.
As for the baseball bats wasn't this outside the pub? didn't the pub refuse entry?
We Have John Denham running a campaign to save pubs & this happens twice in this city?
Why didn't they insist on Enterprise Inns sending in a management team to get it into order if indeed it's out of order?
So another shop? The Woodman was a decent pub next to two big estates now what is it?
Well Shirley Hotel get ready for the punters.
Is it the job of a local MP to save local pubs? Is this the best John Denham can do as our MP?
He's not your MP idiot. He represents Itchen.. A fact you could easily have found out if you could be bothered.
He is my MP because I live within the Itchen area. I know Denham well and have had lots of contact with him. He is my MP and I am his constituent.

Don't call me an idiot, you to$$er.
[quote][p][bold]HillsidePaul[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Donald2000[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loosehead[/bold] wrote: I remember when Dick ran this pub & did meals in the lunch times & live music on Sunday nights so if a person can see a pub near to the property they're looking at why buy that property? Every lively pub no matter how well managed is going to have noise at closing times. As for the baseball bats wasn't this outside the pub? didn't the pub refuse entry? We Have John Denham running a campaign to save pubs & this happens twice in this city? Why didn't they insist on Enterprise Inns sending in a management team to get it into order if indeed it's out of order? So another shop? The Woodman was a decent pub next to two big estates now what is it? Well Shirley Hotel get ready for the punters.[/p][/quote]Is it the job of a local MP to save local pubs? Is this the best John Denham can do as our MP?[/p][/quote]He's not your MP idiot. He represents Itchen.. A fact you could easily have found out if you could be bothered.[/p][/quote]He is my MP because I live within the Itchen area. I know Denham well and have had lots of contact with him. He is my MP and I am his constituent. Don't call me an idiot, you to$$er. Donald2000
  • Score: 4

9:48pm Thu 14 Aug 14

berry boy says...

always was a dump and trouble if you wanted it
always was a dump and trouble if you wanted it berry boy
  • Score: 5

11:33pm Thu 14 Aug 14

loonaloop says...

Where are all the Shirley Towers Coke Heads going to go now?
Where are all the Shirley Towers Coke Heads going to go now? loonaloop
  • Score: 4

12:00am Fri 15 Aug 14

03alpe01 says...

How many more Tesco Expresses can we take???
How many more Tesco Expresses can we take??? 03alpe01
  • Score: 4

2:12am Fri 15 Aug 14

kaido says...

Could re open it as a cannabis cafe, can't see a bunch of stoners causing trouble like that.
Could re open it as a cannabis cafe, can't see a bunch of stoners causing trouble like that. kaido
  • Score: -1

10:28am Fri 15 Aug 14

MissSaint60 says...

Sophie77 wrote:
Hang on the pub has kids in it it has elderly people in it and tbh how does that sound like a bad pub i think not.....im a customer and i think the place is great and very comfortable to drink in and the staff are always nice n friendly and very welcoming :)
Children should NOT be allowed in a pub that has that much violence, if they are allowed to keep trading then it should be a stipulation of their license. The place is a stinking rat hole, my friends children went to a party there recently, she was mortified at the state of the garden which was covered in broken furniture, cigarette buts and broken glass. The place was filthy.
[quote][p][bold]Sophie77[/bold] wrote: Hang on the pub has kids in it it has elderly people in it and tbh how does that sound like a bad pub i think not.....im a customer and i think the place is great and very comfortable to drink in and the staff are always nice n friendly and very welcoming :)[/p][/quote]Children should NOT be allowed in a pub that has that much violence, if they are allowed to keep trading then it should be a stipulation of their license. The place is a stinking rat hole, my friends children went to a party there recently, she was mortified at the state of the garden which was covered in broken furniture, cigarette buts and broken glass. The place was filthy. MissSaint60
  • Score: 1

12:58pm Fri 15 Aug 14

ssnaked23 says...

Donald2000 wrote:
HillsidePaul wrote:
Donald2000 wrote:
loosehead wrote:
I remember when Dick ran this pub & did meals in the lunch times & live music on Sunday nights so if a person can see a pub near to the property they're looking at why buy that property?
Every lively pub no matter how well managed is going to have noise at closing times.
As for the baseball bats wasn't this outside the pub? didn't the pub refuse entry?
We Have John Denham running a campaign to save pubs & this happens twice in this city?
Why didn't they insist on Enterprise Inns sending in a management team to get it into order if indeed it's out of order?
So another shop? The Woodman was a decent pub next to two big estates now what is it?
Well Shirley Hotel get ready for the punters.
Is it the job of a local MP to save local pubs? Is this the best John Denham can do as our MP?
He's not your MP idiot. He represents Itchen.. A fact you could easily have found out if you could be bothered.
He is my MP because I live within the Itchen area. I know Denham well and have had lots of contact with him. He is my MP and I am his constituent.

Don't call me an idiot, you to$$er.
He may well be your MP as you say but he doesnt represent this side of the River Itchen, as Im sure you are well aware it is Alan Whitehead, so it would be down to him as OUR local MP to pursue this and not an outgoing MP from across the water so before calling people names really suggest you get your facts correct.

I for one have mixed views on this, sad that another pub should close probably to be replaced by a store, but glad in others. I recall that the Griffin always had a 'reputation' even when I was a nipper back in the 70's so it just seems to have carried that on, plus when I was married our first house was in Anglesea Rd between Victor St and Medina Rd and we certainly had our fair share of disturbance in the 6 years we lived there during the late 80's and early 90's. Yes it is down to the management to ensure that the pub is run in a responsible manner, they have obviously failed and are now reaping the rewards.
[quote][p][bold]Donald2000[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]HillsidePaul[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Donald2000[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loosehead[/bold] wrote: I remember when Dick ran this pub & did meals in the lunch times & live music on Sunday nights so if a person can see a pub near to the property they're looking at why buy that property? Every lively pub no matter how well managed is going to have noise at closing times. As for the baseball bats wasn't this outside the pub? didn't the pub refuse entry? We Have John Denham running a campaign to save pubs & this happens twice in this city? Why didn't they insist on Enterprise Inns sending in a management team to get it into order if indeed it's out of order? So another shop? The Woodman was a decent pub next to two big estates now what is it? Well Shirley Hotel get ready for the punters.[/p][/quote]Is it the job of a local MP to save local pubs? Is this the best John Denham can do as our MP?[/p][/quote]He's not your MP idiot. He represents Itchen.. A fact you could easily have found out if you could be bothered.[/p][/quote]He is my MP because I live within the Itchen area. I know Denham well and have had lots of contact with him. He is my MP and I am his constituent. Don't call me an idiot, you to$$er.[/p][/quote]He may well be your MP as you say but he doesnt represent this side of the River Itchen, as Im sure you are well aware it is Alan Whitehead, so it would be down to him as OUR local MP to pursue this and not an outgoing MP from across the water so before calling people names really suggest you get your facts correct. I for one have mixed views on this, sad that another pub should close probably to be replaced by a store, but glad in others. I recall that the Griffin always had a 'reputation' even when I was a nipper back in the 70's so it just seems to have carried that on, plus when I was married our first house was in Anglesea Rd between Victor St and Medina Rd and we certainly had our fair share of disturbance in the 6 years we lived there during the late 80's and early 90's. Yes it is down to the management to ensure that the pub is run in a responsible manner, they have obviously failed and are now reaping the rewards. ssnaked23
  • Score: 3

6:06pm Fri 15 Aug 14

loosehead says...

So instead of sorting out the trouble makers from decent pub goers you shut the pub which brings enjoyment to people so the rabble move to the next pub in Shirley so what ? you keep shutting the pubs?
The Police must have an idea who the Baseball fighters were & who the rabble is so why not just ban them from all pubs with immediate jail time if they're found in a pub?
So instead of sorting out the trouble makers from decent pub goers you shut the pub which brings enjoyment to people so the rabble move to the next pub in Shirley so what ? you keep shutting the pubs? The Police must have an idea who the Baseball fighters were & who the rabble is so why not just ban them from all pubs with immediate jail time if they're found in a pub? loosehead
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree